The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

all american carts...hot dog king

top^dog

• Total Posts: 89
all american carts...hot dog king Sun, 07/27/08 11:18 PM (permalink)
does anyone care for scmalz's provision franks from jersey...and black angus hatfields from restaurant depot? Anyone know where to buy the smalz's???

John Fox

• Total Posts: 2313
    RE: all american carts...hot dog king Mon, 07/28/08 9:55 AM (permalink)
    I've heard that Hatfield has stopped making their Angus beef franks. Too bad, as they were very good and better than their regular beef franks which are mediocre.

Schmalz Provisions is located on Napolean St. in Newark. You can get their franks there. Two other places I know of are Federico's Italian Deli in the Clarkton Shopping Center in Clark, and the Wine Library on Morris Ave. in Springfield. Federico's used to be Schmidt's deli, which carried Schmalz's. Federico's still carries them, but they are in a plain package. Wine Library has them in a package with the Schmalz label. It's been a few years since I've had one, but I remember them as being a good frank in the German style. At the places named they come 6 to a lb with a natural casing. I enjoyed them on the griddle or grill.

Schmalz makes the franks that are served at Hot Dog Johnny's in Warren County. These franks are smaller, skinless, and fried. While I enjoyed the Schmalz franks I prepared at home, I don't like them at Hot Dog Johnny's. In my opinion the most overrated hot dog in Jersey. Bland best describes this dog. I don't know why it doesn't taste as good at Johnny's as it did at home. Perhaps the method of cooking, or the smaller skinless frank used there accounted for the difference. I was at Schmalz's factory once and saw some of their products in packages. One was a pork and veal hot dog. Maybe this is the one served at Hot Dog Johnny's.

Willly

• Total Posts: 396
      RE: all american carts...hot dog king Mon, 07/28/08 10:23 AM (permalink)
      I regularly serve Hatfield's from Restaurant Depot. They are my secret weapon when doing burgers and dogs. It would be sad if they were DC'd. Literally every time I have served them, I have multiple people tell me they are the best dogs they have ever had. My guess is that in CT, people are used to a much milder natural casing dog, and the all beef/kosher-type seasoning is a real change for them.

I've never had a Schmaltz dog, but anything named after chicken fat has to be good!

John Fox

RE: all american carts...hot dog king Mon, 07/28/08 11:08 AM (permalink)
        Willy,

It's true that most people are used to the milder pork/beef dog in Ct, although there are places that serve the spicier all beef dog. Sabrett is used at Top Dog, Hebrew National at Chez Leonard. There are places that use Bogner's and others use Sabrett. Hatfield's regular dogs are nothing special, but their New York style angus beef dog is exceptional. I'm not positive that they stopped making them, but someone owning a restaurant in N.Y. told me that they were informed from their distributor that they wouldn't be able to get these franks anymore.

tee gee

• Total Posts: 6
          RE: all american carts...hot dog king Fri, 08/8/08 8:22 PM (permalink)
          I own and operate a hot dog vending tuck in Rockland County, NY and currently sell Sabrett Natural Casing Hot Dog #11 (the number signifies how many hot dogs to a pound)....I used to sell the #12, but found that the 11's are just slightly longer, but look better on the roll...Does anyone have any ideas on what to add to the water when boiling the hot dogs? Someone told me that celery salt would be a good addition. I tried it, but not one customer commented about it one way or another. I'm also looking for something else to add to my menu beside hot dogs and Sabrett Hot Sausages (excellent) that could be heated in water as well....Any ideas????

John Fox

RE: all american carts...hot dog king Fri, 08/8/08 9:00 PM (permalink)
            What to add to the water? Water! It doesn't need anything else. Also I would suggest using at least a 10 to a lb, if not 8 to a lb dog. As a consumer, anything less than 10 to a lb is too small. Here in N.J. there are many carts selling Sabrett dirty water dogs. Some that sell 12's charge more than those selling 10's. If you want to stand out, give the customer a decent size dog. 11's and 12's are coctail franks. When I evaluated hot dog establishments 2 years ago, there were many carts, trucks, and restaurants that sold Sabrett dirty water dogs. I judged them on whether they had casing, (casing is better than skinless), if the dog was hot enough (some were served lukewarm or cold) and if the dog was a decent size. If you are serving an 11 to a lb Sabrett dirty water dog, assuming it is fresh and prepared correctly, and your competitor is serving a 10; guess whose place will get my business? No one cares what looks better on a roll. Since Sabretts are so common, the discriminating consumer will look to see what sets one truck apart from another. Most look at toppings. Since I buy a dog to taste the dog itself, I look for what I mentioned. That is why the highest rated establishments that sell Sabretts in N.J. are those like Dee's in Roselle Park that serve them hot, with casing, and at a decent size, 10 to a lb. I would prefer 8 to a lb, but Sabretts at that size get mushy when prepared in water.

My ideal dirty water dog is an 8 to a lb Best's all beef dog. Jerry's in Elizabeth, N.J. heats theirs in water and finishes it off on a grill for extra crunch. The flavor, texture, spicing, and casing far surpasses any other dirty water dog I've had.

tee gee

RE: all american carts...hot dog king Fri, 08/8/08 9:15 PM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by John Fox

What to add to the water? Water! It doesn't need anything else. Also I would suggest using at least a 10 to a lb, if not 8 to a lb dog. As a consumer, anything less than 10 to a lb is too small. Here in N.J. there are many carts selling Sabrett dirty water dogs. Some that sell 12's charge more than those selling 10's. If you want to stand out, give the customer a decent size dog. 11's and 12's are coctail franks. When I evaluated hot dog establishments 2 years ago, there were many carts, trucks, and restaurants that sold Sabrett dirty water dogs. I judged them on whether they had casing, (casing is better than skinless), if the dog was hot enough (some were served lukewarm or cold) and if the dog was a decent size. If you are serving an 11 to a lb Sabrett dirty water dog, assuming it is fresh and prepared correctly, and your competitor is serving a 10; guess whose place will get my business? No one cares what looks better on a roll. Since Sabretts are so common, the discriminating consumer will look to see what sets one truck apart from another. Most look at toppings. Since I buy a dog to taste the dog itself, I look for what I mentioned. That is why the highest rated establishments that sell Sabretts in N.J. are those like Dee's in Roselle Park that serve them hot, with casing, and at a decent size, 10 to a lb. I would prefer 8 to a lb, but Sabretts at that size get mushy when prepared in water.

My ideal dirty water dog is an 8 to a lb Best's all beef dog. Jerry's in Elizabeth, N.J. heats theirs in water and finishes it off on a grill for extra crunch. The flavor, texture, spicing, and casing far surpasses any other dirty water dog I've had.

tee gee

RE: all american carts...hot dog king Fri, 08/8/08 9:18 PM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by tee gee

quote:

tee gee

RE: all american carts...hot dog king Fri, 08/8/08 9:21 PM (permalink)
                  John,

Thank you for your prompt and informative response. I will take your advice
                  quote:

Benzee

• Total Posts: 1872
                    RE: all american carts...hot dog king Sat, 08/9/08 11:00 AM (permalink)
                    Hey tee gee ,

Where is your truck in Rockland . You never know when some Roadfooders will want to stop by and say hello . Also welcome aboard the site

Benzee

tee gee

RE: all american carts...hot dog king Sat, 08/9/08 5:09 PM (permalink)
                      Benzee,

Truck is located on Rt. 303; 1/2 mi. north of intersection of Lake Rd. and Rt. 303 in the town of Congers, NY....

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9524
                        RE: all american carts...hot dog king Sun, 08/10/08 4:57 AM (permalink)
                        Tee Gee,
                        Here's a tip for you on making corrections to a post. If you goof up a post or want to add, delete or correct something, just click on the little pad & pencil icon above the post and it will pop up so you can make your corrections and resend. You don't need to re-enter everything all over again.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                          • No New Messages
                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                          • Read Message
                          • Post New Thread
                          • Reply to message
                          • Post New Poll
                          • Submit Vote
                          • Post reward post
                          • Delete my own posts
                          • Delete my own threads
                          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com