america's great sausage cities

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
pigface
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 406
RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/04/08 23:22:14 (permalink)
I used to get a sausage from Zingerman's Deli several years ago
I beleive cajun, Charice, and they haven't carried it in a while
I remembered it as ground cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes and whole leaf
parsley in a fresh sausage ... HOT CITY
Anyone out there know of something similar ?
MoBob
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 83
RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/04/21 16:11:33 (permalink)
I have to vent here a little bit. In my 25+ years here in the intermountain west I have never found a great local sausage. I suppose it is a lack good seasonings or the fact there are no good pig farms that I know of ergo no fresh pork. Breakfast sausage is uninspiring whether in a restaurant or the crap in the stores. Nowhere and I mean nowhwere can you find "rope sausage" like that great stuff I grew up with in Missouri. Man they knew how to do sausage there. Every small town market or butcher and even a lot of the local farmers always made their own, each with thier own special flavor. The best and only decent sausage available that I find is Johnsonville Brats. When it comes to sausage or fabulous hams the west is like the third world...everthing has to be imported. You should see the people out here stare when I talk about ham biscuits.
John Fox
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2334
RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/04/21 19:10:00 (permalink)
Andy,
I have to disagree with you. Katz's may claim to make their own franks, but they do not. At least 2 employees told me that they are supplied by Sabrett along with one Sabrett distributor, and the man from Marathon Enterprises (Sabrett) who handles private label. I don't know if it's appropriate to give his name over this forum, but if you e-mail me, I can give you his name along with some more information.
Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle
  • Total Posts : 1350
RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/04/21 22:44:44 (permalink)
John,

Is it possible that Marathon makes "private recipe" dogs for their customers like, say, the contract brewing that F.X. Matt does? If so, then the franks at Katz and Papaya King, for instance, could differ in substantive ways (besides simply their size).
John Fox
RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/04/22 06:53:54 (permalink)
Bruce and Sue,
Yes it is possible, and I know a few companies that make different dogs for different companies. As for Marathon (Sabrett) this is not the case. I had been led to believe this by the manager of Papaya King and their website which states that there is no other place to get their dogs, they have special spices, etc. A Sabrett distributor told me that they only make franks according to 2 recipes, all beef and beef and pork. They do come in various sizes and either skinless or natural casing. And Sabrett does have a private label dept. They supply many places with franks, but in the label (Papaya King) of their choosing. I actually spent $37.50 for 5lbs of Papaya King dogs at one of their locations. I was mad when I discovered that I could get the same franks for &17.00 at a Sabrett distributor. The way I found out was I contacted the person in charge of private label and told him that I wanted to buy some franks that were similar to Papaya King. He thought that I represented a business and would be buying a large quantity rather than 5 lbs. He then told me that I can have the same franks that Papaya King uses. They are Sabrett's 10 to a lb with natural casing. The EXACT SAME product is used at Gray's Papaya. Katz's uses a bigger dog, 7 or 8 to a lb rather than 10. This man said it would be too much for Sabrett to make more than 2 recipes, especially since not all customers use a large amount. They are mass produced at Sabrett. He also told me that they use German casings and imported spices so technically the website info is correct on Papaya King's site. Plus, even though they use Sabrett, they can get away with saying that you can "only get a Papaya King frank at Papaya King". Katz's is so busy and serves so many hot dogs that they can't be bothered making their own. Speak to a few people there and one of them will be honest and tell you that the franks are made for them. A friend of mine also saw the boxes of franks clearly labeled Sabrett at Gray's. Papaya King has their boxes and labels made with their (Papaya King's) logo. Other places using Sabrett's beef and pork frank are the Windmill chain, Callahan's in Fort Lee N.J. and the Hot Grill in Clifton, N.J.

PS: The person at Marathon even gave me the product #'s for Katz's dog (according to size-7or 8 to a lb) and Gray's and Papaya King (which had the same # as they are the same size)
Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle
  • Total Posts : 1350
RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/04/22 08:08:07 (permalink)
John, you're awesome! Will they sell us 5 pounds if we just pop in? We'd love to get some of those all beef dogs.
John Fox
RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/04/22 17:44:29 (permalink)
Any Sabrett distributor will sell you 5lbs of any dog that they have. I would check the phone book for a nearby distributor. There is one in Clifton and one in Newark if you are in Jersey. Also one in Carteret. There are more. Ask for the natural casing. If you want the ones sold at Papaya King, ask for the 10's. If you want the ones sold to Katz's ask for the 7's or 8's. There are some supermarkets that sell the Sabrett natural casing dogs. They come in packages of 6 that weigh about 3/4 of a lb. These are the ones that are sold at Katz's. The best way to enjoy them would be to cook them on a flat griddle. If you have some time, cook at 160-175 degrees for a couple of hours. This is what they do at Papaya King.
John Fox
RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/05/05 08:39:59 (permalink)
There was an interesting article in the New York Times about pastrami in New York. The article can be found at http://www.nytimes.com/2003/04/30/dining/30PAST.html
The author states that only one New York deli makes their own pastrami, and it isn't Katz's. The process is too labor intensive and expensive for places that do a lot of business. That doesn't prevent people working for these establishments, including owners, from lying about it. I've seen this a lot from hot dog restaurants, which I have been known to frequent. They lie about whether they make their own franks, where they get them from, whether the franks are made exclusively from them (in some cases they are) whether the condiments are homemade, etc. I just found out yesterday that the wonderful Dusseldorf style mustard served at Rutt's Hut is not homemade. The owners have maintained that they make the mustard, and this has been accepted as truth in many of the reviews and articles about Rutt's Hut. A counter person told me that the mustard is a commercial brand from Long Island. One of the owners then walked by, and the guy immediately stopped talking. When the owner was out of earshot, I asked the brand, but the guy wouldn't reveal it. And I can tell that he regretted telling me what he did. But the relish definitely IS homemade. Just don't believe everything you hear from deli, hot dog, or restaurant owners; especially when it concerns where they get their products.
John Fox
RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/05/05 09:51:17 (permalink)
Oops! In the above post, I meant to say that one of the things owners exagerate is whether the franks are made FOR them, not FROM them.
hawkeyejohn
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 257
RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/05/13 16:23:45 (permalink)
Cincinnati has been omitted, some of the best sausages I have ever had came from the Queen City. Love the Mettwurst.
goldsborscht
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 128
RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/05/13 19:43:44 (permalink)
I'm surprised there hasn't been much written here about Brooklyn, specifically Greenpoint. A strong Poilsh community. Steve's Meat Market on Nassau Ave.: great smaoky flavored hot dogs, both thick and thin. The best kielbasa, smoky flavored, crisp casing, juicy, and beautiful. A real treasure eith tons of customers, but all Polish. Real nice guys. They wear cool Kielbasa Power red shirts. If in the 'hood, a real find.
jmckee
  • Total Posts : 1184
RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/05/23 12:11:00 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by hawkeyejohn

Cincinnati has been omitted, some of the best sausages I have ever had came from the Queen City. Love the Mettwurst.

Absolutely. In fact, at one time Cincinnati was nationally known as "Porkopolis" because of its meat-packing houses and the streets packed with porkers on the way to their demise.

John Morrell is still here, makers of excellent smoked sausage and kielbasa; Kahn's hot dogs are the local standard ("The Wiener the World Awaited"). Queen City Sausage makes a dizzying variety of metts, brats, hot metts, etc., etc., all really top-knotch.

For breakfast, Bob Evans Farms is about an hour and a half east of here; still one of the best "big packer" sausages. Pernell's "Old Folks" Sausage is available here ("It's WHOLE Hog"), and you can still "take home a package of Tennessee Pride."
kdiammond
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 133
RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/05/23 21:09:41 (permalink)
While not a sausage destination-- At the Bethesda Farmers Market there is an old lady (80 + now) that makes a smoked sausage that is awe inspiring. I always buy her smoked bacon and sausage and hope that she lives to be 100+
Hungree
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/05/30 14:11:52 (permalink)
the picture of the Italian sausage sandwich on this board has made me hungry. also being a native Chicagoan, I have to say that I recently ate the best Italian sausage sandwich that I have had in years at the Bad Dog Tavern on 4535 N. Lincoln ave. Although the bun was too big for my taste, the sausage was tremendous. For anyone who loves sausage, the Bad Dog's is amazing.
pennypincher
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 54
RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/05/30 20:02:07 (permalink)
My favorite German butcher in the NYC area is[url='http://www.karlehmer.com/index.asp?cat=2461']Karl Ehmer[/url]. They have about a dozen stores on the east coast. There are
a couple of other fine sausage stores in the predominately German
area of Ridgewood & Glendale, NY, those being Morscher's, Forest
Pork Store. When I visited San Antonio I was able to purchase some
Karl Ehmer stuff at the Central Market.
Bratwerst
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/06/21 20:49:47 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jessicazee

Milwaukee - German sausages rule. Usinger's is headquartered here.

But, I have to say that Sheboygan, Wis. is better known for their love of bratwurst. Boil in beer, then grill outside during Packer game. Eat immediately or immerse in beer/onion/butter concoction brewing in the Nesco roaster.

Milwaukee's Hispanic population has exploded in the last 10 years or so, and Mexican markets make their own chorizo. It's so spicy and good with eggs. And many hunters who venture up North in fall make their own venison sausage.

I also have to mention the hot Italian sausages made by both Koppa's Sausage King (there's some roadfood royalty for ya!) and also Glorioso's markets in Milwaukee. Both very tasty and spicy.

I grew up in Racine, Wis., a town with a very Danish & German contingency. I remember on Christams day & New Year's Day we wold have medistipoles (sp?), a spiral-shaped mild sausage - haven't seen it around in a while. Anyone know about this kind of sausage?
Bratwerst
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/06/21 21:04:11 (permalink)
Usingers in milwaukee tastes like they make extensive use of sawdust in the reciepe. Nuf said.
As for SHEBOYGAN, WI. enough cannot be said:
Resteraunts:
Charcoal Inn (north and south)
Gosseys
Schultz's lunch on Calumet Drive
All inexpensive, small, great!

Sausage:
Johnsonville is my favorite and have managed to assure quality as they have grown to nationl (or near)distribution.
Meisfields makes an excellent but not as spicy brat. They supply most of the above resteraunts. Located on the north side just off I-43
Poth Meatsmay be out of business
For a good bratwerst sandwich charcoal grilling is a must! Forget the beer butter and onion soak. I think this was just a means to keep a lot of brats hot till they could be eaten, but brats are best right off the grill. Another must is the Sheboygan Hard Roll--crunchy crust, soft inside kind of like a french bread. Best purchased at City Bakery on Michigan Ave.
ocdreamr
  • Total Posts : 1109
RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/06/21 21:52:19 (permalink)
Here in Baltimore there are 3 main types of sausage. First & foremost is Kielbasa, smoked & fresh, The fresh is frequently found in the saurkraut on the table for Thanksgiving(B'more tradition). Second is Italian in all it's forms, sweet, hot, fennel etc. We have a fairly large Italian population, hence our Little Italy area and many good Italian delis that make their own. Lastly is a little known ethinic sausage, Lithuanian, I am fortunate to have a source right by me. One of the best Lithuanian sausage makers in B'more retired to my area & to satisfy many in the Lithuanian community he continued to make his sausage at a local Italian deli, In the process he taught their sausage maker.
Even though Baltimore had a strong German population in the 1800's we no longer have any German butchers & their wonderful sausages
muzzlehatch
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 73
RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/06/21 23:17:13 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Bratwerst

Usingers in milwaukee tastes like they make extensive use of sawdust in the reciepe. Nuf said.
As for SHEBOYGAN, WI. enough cannot be said:
Resteraunts:
Charcoal Inn (north and south)
Gosseys
Schultz's lunch on Calumet Drive
All inexpensive, small, great!

Sausage:
Johnsonville is my favorite and have managed to assure quality as they have grown to nationl (or near)distribution.
Meisfields makes an excellent but not as spicy brat. They supply most of the above resteraunts. Located on the north side just off I-43
Poth Meatsmay be out of business
For a good bratwerst sandwich charcoal grilling is a must! Forget the beer butter and onion soak. I think this was just a means to keep a lot of brats hot till they could be eaten, but brats are best right off the grill. Another must is the Sheboygan Hard Roll--crunchy crust, soft inside kind of like a french bread. Best purchased at City Bakery on Michigan Ave.

Nice comments. Have to agree with assessments of Usingers vs Johnsonville; only had Usingers a couple of times but couldn't understand the appeal. Johnsonville was a staple growing up and remains the premier bratwurst that you can buy in a supermarket.

Sheboygan...never actually been there. Maybe on my next trip home (S. Wisconsin) I'll finally make it and see what the fuss is about!
meowzart
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 773
RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/06/22 09:21:59 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ocdreamr
Even though Baltimore had a strong German population in the 1800's we no longer have any German butchers & their wonderful sausages

ocdreamr...do check into the Laurel Meat Market for those sausages. I can't say if the butchers there are German, but I can tell you that the whole grocery is German/PA Dutch-centric (one of the few places in MD that sells red beet eggs, for instance). They make their own sausages on premises. And I can attest that they are all good! (Well, almost all of them...haven't finished trying all of them yet!! )
Cosmos
  • Total Posts : 1449
RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/06/22 11:48:52 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jmckee[brPernell's 'Old Folks' Sausage is available here ('It's WHOLE Hog')

I used to love their commercials when I lived in Chicago...'Old Folks Sausage'.....sound sort of soylent greenish.
ocdreamr
RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/06/22 13:10:15 (permalink)
Meowzart

Where is the Laurel Market? I don't do Laurel that much but can find my way around. Also since it is a PA/Dutch mkt does that mean it isn't open on Sunday? And weren't you looking for Kunzler's Lebonon? I can get it at Weiss. They are in Pasedena & Serverna Park & one in the Ellicott City area.
meowzart
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 773
RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/06/22 17:26:07 (permalink)
ocdreamr, Laurel Meat Market is on historic Main St. 347 Main St., Laurel, MD, 20707. Tel: (301) 725-5855. You can't miss them! Theay are the store with the big cow out front!

They have lots of PA Dutch foods, but they aren't Amish or Mennonite. It is a butcher shop/deli/grocery. Nothing fancy, but it is delicous. They are open 7 days a week, but not sure what their hours are. They also carry Berger cookies and Hershey's ice cream...two other things that are hardish to find.

I thought Weis only carried Seltzer bologna? If they carry Kunzler, too, great!!! I will check them out next time I need my Gibble's chips fix!!

Meowzart
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/06/22 19:35:26 (permalink)
Dearfolk,
Purnell's used to produce (and may still) an old-timey-style hot dog with a natural casing that is sold in Winn-Dixie stores. They've disappeared from the shelves of the one down the street, but it's entirely possible that other stores/locales may still stock the item. Purnell's is located in a flyspeck town not far outside of Louisville, heading sort of toward Cincinnati.
There are several good local breakfast sausage purveyors hereabouts. Holifield Farms in Covington, Georgia produces a regular, a hot,and a variety they entitle "MO-PEPPA" that is loaded with black pepper. Mighty fine! Their sausage is also very low in fat. Pitman in Sharon, Georgia makes some good morning sausage, as does Bond's Sausage Co. in (I think it is) Lavonia.
Counts Sausage Co. in Prosperity, South Carolina makes an onion sausage that is plumb to-die-for! In the Summer,they use sweet Vidalia onions; you'd swear there was sugar in it, but there isn't a grain. Their otherproducts are worth a looksee as well if you run upon them. Same goes for Harvin's of Sumter, S. C.
In Tennessee,somewhere around Nashville, there is a small purveyor that makes a "Super Sage" sausage that is practically green. That stuff was wonderful! I've wondered ever since where it came from: up around Clarksville, so my friend said. The wrapper was long gone by the time I tasted the last of it he had.
In Valdese, North Carolina, the locally preferred sausage variety is known as Soutisso. It's a lean veal sausage made by one place - a roadside grocery east of town on U. S. 70/74, heading towards Hickory. As soon as my vision improves so that I can roadtrip again, I'll run up there and report back here to y'all.
Livermush, especially its sub-variety, Dishpan Livermush, will just have to wait until cooler weather.
Casing The Joint, Ort. Carlton in Athens, Georgia.
ocdreamr
RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/06/22 20:20:00 (permalink)
Meowzart,

Thanks I won't have trouble finding them. As to Berger's, they are made in Baltimore, can't go in a store up here without finding them - thank God!
Cosmos
  • Total Posts : 1449
RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/06/30 17:46:41 (permalink)
Well I had in-laws in town this past weekend and went to Liehs and Steigerwalds in Syracuse to buy something to feed-em. I picked up a dozen hot dogs, smoked bratwurst, bavarian bratwurst, nurnburg bratwurst, bochwurst, and two type of chicken sausage, one with roasted red peppers and one with rosmary.

I grilled everything and served it with saute'd onions and sauerkraut. Everything was great, but the chicken needed more fat. Next time, I'll saute them in a liquid of somekind.

Now I need to hit the road and try some of these other places.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13480
RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/06/30 18:08:34 (permalink)
Cosmos, are you sure you picked up enough different kinds of sausages

Obviously just kidding. Here in the south, we are much more limited to whatever Walmart has.

Sounded like a great cookout.

Paul E. smith
Knoxville, TN
hawkeyejohn
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 257
RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/07/01 08:30:11 (permalink)
I am also disappointed that Chicago is not well represented in this discussion. Home of Vienna Beef, David Best, Scala's, Bobak's Sausage and tons of Polish deli's.
mek
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 123
RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/07/01 08:46:34 (permalink)
In Baltimore, we have Egon Binkert (nur das Beste vom Besten-only the best from the best). This gentleman was a butcher in Germany and he came here after WW II. Wursts galore, as well as luncheon meats, Leberkaese, bacon, Landjaeger, Kassler Rippchen, Westphalian ham...man, now I am getting hungry.
ocdreamr
RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/07/01 08:55:37 (permalink)
ok Mek,
Where is this gentleman located???? I'm ready to go.
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1