america's great sausage cities

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
mek
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 123
RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/07/01 09:11:30 (permalink)
He's on Philadelphia Road- Just north of Rossville Blvd. After passing through Rossville Blvd., you will see a Royal Farm on the right. Slow down- Binkert is the next driveway after the Farm store. He is closed Sunday and Thursday. The prices and quality are unsurpassed. I think the most expensive item is the Westphalian ham ($8.-$8.50/lb.) German prosciutto-less salty and more smoky than the Italian. Most items are $4.-$4.50/lb.
Enjoy!
mek
Cheeseburger
RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/07/02 08:53:46 (permalink)
ocdreamer-
Do you have a fax ? I can send you the price list from Binkert.
ocdreamr
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1109
RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/07/02 09:39:58 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by mek

ocdreamer-
Do you have a fax ? I can send you the price list from Binkert.

No, I don't keep that part of my 'Puter hooked up, I usually use the one at work but won't be around all day today to keep a check on the fax machine(it's not at my desk) & am off the rest of the week. Between the rain they are calling for & the big church convention in downtown, not to mention the parades etc, I'll be staying on the west side this weekend but will plan on a trip out to the east next week! Thanks for thinking of me.
mek
Cheeseburger
RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/07/17 11:36:17 (permalink)
ocdreamer-
Did you get a chance to visit Binkert?
ocdreamr
  • Total Posts : 1109
RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/07/17 12:29:39 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by mek

ocdreamer-
Did you get a chance to visit Binkert?

Not yet, have to go to my sisters either this week or next (she's in Rosedale) figure I'll kill 2 birds with one stone.
Mayhaw Man
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 589
RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/07/24 08:52:21 (permalink)
Michael,
Normally I kindly ignore comments that don't make sense (I am Southern after all), but your crack about no Louisiana sausage bordered on the rediculous. If you type the words "sausage" and "Louisiana" into google you get twelve pages of hits. Everything from Jennings, LA being the Boudin Capital of the Universe to LaPlace, LA being the Andouille Capital of the World. Maybe a hundred hits off of menus around the country advertising "Louisiana Sausage, boudin, etc." and at least 20 listings of Cajun COuntry (primarily where it all comes from) sausage makers. Virtually every grocery store of any size down here makes italian and grreen onion, there are a bunch of relatively large commercial smoke houses (Richards being the best of the lot, mail order their incredible products from http://www.richardscajunfoods.com/History/history.html. NOw, what you won't generally find down here is people eating sausage alone, it is generally served along with some other dish (beans and rice, in gumbo and stews, in dirty rice, jambalaya, etc.)
So there. I got that off of my chest. Come on down and we'll go eat sausage(and shrimp and crawfish and oysters and everything but the oink
EliseT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2876
RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/07/24 13:43:54 (permalink)
Well, does L.A. get credit for the "Gourmet sausage" trend? If so, are those hisses or hurrahs? I was dubious at first about duck and apple in my sausages, but some of these are first rate. Check out the menu at

www.maroni.com

When not feeling quite so trendy, we have plenty of German delis and English shops (bangers!) to keep my sausage jones in check.
teak
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/07/24 15:30:32 (permalink)
Hot Texas Weiners. Not many in Paterson Anymore. Libby's since 1936. Johhny and Hanges moved to Fair Lawn. Falls View Totowa. Any remember the one in Elmwood Park?
Then East Paterson?
Recently fund one on RT 46.
I have the recipe. It is easy. I'll post it soon.

Tino
Cosmos
  • Total Posts : 1449
RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/07/24 16:39:56 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by EliseT

Well, does L.A. get credit for the "Gourmet sausage" trend? If so, are those hisses or hurrahs? I was dubious at first about duck and apple in my sausages, but some of these are first rate. Check out the menu at

www.maroni.com

When not feeling quite so trendy, we have plenty of German delis and English shops (bangers!) to keep my sausage jones in check.

Anything sausage is a hurrah for me. I think the "gourmet" thing isn't really new, people have been stuffing all types of food into casings for years, it'll never end.
John Fox
  • Total Posts : 2326
RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/07/24 21:28:32 (permalink)
Teak,
Which Texas Weiner place do you like the best? I like the Hot Grill, because in my opinion they have the tastiest chili. The beef dog at Johnny and Hanges is great also. Their chili is okay. Used to like Libby's but their sauce is too thin.
cooper
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 14
RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/09/27 16:31:02 (permalink)
In the Utica, New York area Farina Sausage company made some of the greatest Italian Sausage around.
hermitt4d
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 367
RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/09/27 21:37:38 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Bushie

Elgin, TX has been proclaimed the Sausage Capital of Texas by our legislature, so who can argue with that? The Southside Meat Market's "Elgin Hot Sausage" is the most famous, but I prefer Meyer's beef sausage just down the road.

Kreuz in Lockhart has great sausage, and Charles in Smithville makes a beef and pig combo sausage that is out of this world.

I with you on that Bushie. The Lege does so many things well, I'm sure they got this right, too . Actually, there are so many fine small sausage makers in Texas, especially in the Czech belt we've discussed before, I'd find it hard to name the best sausage in the state.

I like the sausage rings at Black's BBQ in Lockhart and always have a cooler to bring some home from my treks there; the wet links at City Market in Luling are also fine, I have a treasured Polo shirt with the appropriate grease stains from my first visit when I forgot the warning about how they squirted when you bit into them.

I haven't been to either of the places in Elgin but I did have the Elgin Hot Guts as served at Hoover's in Austin; it was very good but I haven't been able to get it to taste that good when I cook it at home (probably my fault rather than Southside Market). I've tried Meyers, several varieties, also, but haven't been too impressed.

A recent find is the new jalapeno pork and beef sausage from V & V in beautiful downtown Cistern, TX. Maybe the best jalapeno sausage I've every had. Very limited distribution; I find them sometimes at the new HEB warehouse type stores in Houston. Their regular blend has been served at Pizzitola's BBQ in Houston for 35 years and is one of the better sausages at Q places in Houston.
hermitt4d
Cheeseburger
RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/09/27 21:46:54 (permalink)
I've gotten distracted 3 times while reading this thread but I don't remember any mention of andouille and I'd sure like to get some recommendations from anybody in the know. Who makes the best and how do I get my hands on some? About all I've had is Manda, available at Sam's club here and maybe one or two other brands whose names I can't remember.
cosmont
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 12
RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/09/28 07:43:14 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by bill voss

I'm interested in what you all think are america's great wiener burgs. I broached this once with Michael
and he had strong opinions. Some places have sausages ingrained in the culture while others don't seem to be on the bus. There's the obvious NY vs. Chicago battle, and pork vs. beef, but what's the sausage situation in your town?
Are there ethnic subcategories in your town, or is it the traditional hot dog thing going on?
Mayhaw Man
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 589
RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/09/28 08:40:53 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by hermitt4d

I've gotten distracted 3 times while reading this thread but I don't remember any mention of andouille and I'd sure like to get some recommendations from anybody in the know. Who makes the best and how do I get my hands on some? About all I've had is Manda, available at Sam's club here and maybe one or two other brands whose names I can't remember.

Hermitt,
See my 7/24 post above.

You know, you just live in Houston and you are only about three hours away from one of the great sausage Meccas (could there be a sausage Mecca if pork is proscribed by Islam? Why do I think about this stuff?)in the South (Breaux Bridge) and 4 hours away from the andouille capital (LaPlace) of the world. Why not make a day out of it? Bring a big ice chest, some funds for buying sausage, and save enough to stop and eat a big lunch at Joe's Dreyfuss Store in Livonia. You can fill up your belly and your freezer in one day trip.

Bring your friends. Hell, bring a busload. We are in the middle of another election cycle and the thieving is going on worse than usual. We need the tourist dollars since apparently the politicians haven't figured out how to tax you coming across the borders (yet), although New Orleans has a higher hotel/motel/destination fee tax than New York, New York.

Really though, if you search back through the threads, roadfood is rampant on the I-10 corridor between The Rocket City and The Crescent City. Com'on over, I'll meet you for lunch if your going to Joe's. I can be there in an hour.
hermitt4d
Cheeseburger
RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/09/28 21:19:01 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Mayhaw Man

quote:

Hermitt,
See my 7/24 post above.

You know, you just live in Houston and you are only about three hours away from one of the great sausage Meccas (could there be a sausage Mecca if pork is proscribed by Islam? Why do I think about this stuff?)in the South (Breaux Bridge) and 4 hours away from the andouille capital (LaPlace) of the world. Why not make a day out of it? Bring a big ice chest, some funds for buying sausage, and save enough to stop and eat a big lunch at Joe's Dreyfuss Store in Livonia. You can fill up your belly and your freezer in one day trip.

Bring your friends. Hell, bring a busload. We are in the middle of another election cycle and the thieving is going on worse than usual. We need the tourist dollars since apparently the politicians haven't figured out how to tax you coming across the borders (yet), although New Orleans has a higher hotel/motel/destination fee tax than New York, New York.

Really though, if you search back through the threads, roadfood is rampant on the I-10 corridor between The Rocket City and The Crescent City. Com'on over, I'll meet you for lunch if your going to Joe's. I can be there in an hour.

Thanks so much for your reply, Mayhaw Man. I can't believe I missed your post and it was on the same page as mine, but I have been very distracted for several weeks lately because of a death in the family.

I do appreciate your invite but I won't be up to doing any traveling for several months, I think. I'll keep it in mind for next spring, maybe. Would love to get over there and take a tour.

I would think Cajun Muslims would deserve some special dietary leeway " />, so there may well be a sausage mecca .

Bushie
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/09/29 09:11:24 (permalink)
quote:

I haven't been to either of the places in Elgin but I did have the Elgin Hot Guts as served at Hoover's in Austin; it was very good but I haven't been able to get it to taste that good when I cook it at home (probably my fault rather than Southside Market). I've tried Meyers, several varieties, also, but haven't been too impressed.

A recent find is the new jalapeno pork and beef sausage from V & V in beautiful downtown Cistern, TX. Maybe the best jalapeno sausage I've every had. Very limited distribution; I find them sometimes at the new HEB warehouse type stores in Houston. Their regular blend has been served at Pizzitola's BBQ in Houston for 35 years and is one of the better sausages at Q places in Houston.

Hermitt, I don't think it's your fault. I don't even get the Southside sausage at Southside anymore. (And, I've tried it twice there recently just to make sure I wasn't wrong.) It just doesn't have that much flavor.

As for Meyer's, what you've probably gotten is the pre-smoked sausages in the vacuum packs. I really don't care that much for those, either. The thing to do is buy the Meyer's Beef Sausage fresh at their market and smoke/grill it yourself.

(I also like to eat it smoked at the restaurant, but if I'm going in to "sit down", Southside really has better everything else. Sometimes it's a curse to be so picky... You know, I've never tried buying the cooked sausage at Meyer's then sneaking it in to Southside to complete the meal... )

I wouldn't be surprised to find that V & V sausage at Central Market. Seems they carry just about everything. I'll check; thanks for the tip.
hermitt4d
Cheeseburger
RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/09/29 09:55:19 (permalink)
Bushie,

Aha! thanks for the tip on Meyer's . As I recall, I brought home fresh Southside picked up at an HEB in Austin, but just tried the vacuum pack Meyer's picked up at CM here in Houston.

Haven't looked for the V&V at CM; the new warehouse stores HEB is building here are almost as big as Super Walmarts. They're replacing the little bitty Pantry stores they came into the market with 10 years ago.

I think you mentioned Charles in Smithville in an earlier post. I tried to find that once but couldn't make sense of the directions I had scribbled down. Wasn't until I got on the road to Cistern that I realized I'd been in Bastrop, not Smithville! I used to travel that way so many times when I went to UT, and many, many times since, but sometimes I'm just dumb.
alesrus
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 292
RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/09/29 10:07:02 (permalink)
Teak, Are you talking about River view in Elmwood Park? They are still there. I think Falls View went franchise.
Bushie
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/09/29 12:14:22 (permalink)
quote:

Bushie,

I think you mentioned Charles in Smithville in an earlier post. I tried to find that once but couldn't make sense of the directions I had scribbled down.

Well, I've got some very bad news. Charlie's BBQ (it was really named Charlie's, not Charles as I had mistakenly indicated) has CLOSED.

I had visited there on 3 different Saturdays over the summer. Just recently a few weeks ago. It had been closed each time, but nothing indicated that it had shut for good. I thought maybe it was just the summer heat responsible for shorter hours.

When I saw your post, it reminded me that I had intended to call and check on the place. I tried them, and the phone has been disconnected. I then called the Smithville Chamber of Commerce and was told that Charles Ebner had died a few months ago. The nice lady said she has heard that the family has no interest in continuing the business.

I'm sad.
Penoose
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 57
RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/10/08 02:42:20 (permalink)
Many areas around Detroit (Hamtramck, Dearborn) make fantastic sausages. A large polish population = fantastic Kielbasa. Are Kowalski products available outside MI? If not, proceed directly to Detroit and stock up.

As far as hot dogs go, we have a veritable classic available at Lafayette Coney Island. As any local will tell you, this is the ONLY place in Detroit to get a coney dog. The dogs themselves - complete with natural casings to seal in the juices - are so uniquely flavorful that one almost forgets about the mouth-watering Coney chili, mustard and onions smothering them.

I'm fairly certain that the Sterns have written about this place.

P.j.
Jim Ross
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 314
RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/10/08 21:03:35 (permalink)
I vote Chicago, based on this excerpt from an article in the Chicago Tribune:
""...But if you come up to the deli counter and say you want some smoked Polish sausage, they're going to say which one. There are 14 different kinds of smoked Polish sausage that we carry," he said. There's smoked, hunter-style, wedding, smoked Lithuanian, smoky links, forest sausage and Maxwell smoked Polish, he said ticking off the names..."

The complete article is here:
www.chicagotribune.com/business/chi-0310060003oct06,1,2327950.story

Bobak's Sausage Company and Restuarant was discussed in a couple of best all you can eat buffets and Chicago Delis threads here. The deli counter is truly awe inspiring and the buffet is the best bargin in town.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/10/08 22:54:48 (permalink)
Dearfolk,
The only problem with being Muslim in New Orleans is that if you go by the way the streets run (North Claiborne, South Claiborne, etc.), you'll have an awfully hard time figuring out which way to face to pray toward the REAL Mecca. You might end up facing Algiers instead.
The Sunflowers Never Lie, Ort. Carlton in Comparitively Reasonably Geometrically-Simply-Laid-Out Athens, Georgia.
Dempsey
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/10/08 23:55:11 (permalink)
Ive lived in many places in USA and four cities in Europe...including NJ(had Rutts) and Germany.....now I live in Orlando...the best hots are Zweigles(made in Rochester NY) white hots to me...by far.

Zweigles now ships(costly)...I get my white hots at the Citrus Bowl stand. Only one I know of locally.
Rick F.
  • Total Posts : 1736
RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/10/09 03:24:01 (permalink)
quote:

andouille.

Try Bellue's in Baton Rouge. I use theirs all the time.
John Fox
RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/10/09 07:09:13 (permalink)
Dempsey,
I've had many different frankfurters (I live in N.J.) but haven't had Zweigles yet. I anticipate having one soon since there will be a Wegman's supermarket opening in a few weeks near where I live. From what I've heard, Zweigles white is more like a bratwurst than a hot dog. It is pork based (all pork or pork and veal?) and uncured. It may even be a bratwurst. Different animal than a frank. Looking forward to trying one. Wegman's is based in Rochester, and I heard that they carry Zweigles. If you like white, bratwurst style sausages, let me suggest Usinger's bratwurst. One of the best there is. Only one I had that is better is the bratwurst from the Union Pork Store in Union, N.J. I know of someone who has had bratwurst all over the country and in Germany who travels a couple of hundred miles from Pa. to get these brats. Does anyone know the difference between a standard bratwurst and a Zweigles White Hot?
Dempsey
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/10/09 08:45:15 (permalink)
JOHN FOX

I went to Rutgers for grad school and have had a Usingers. It was OK,,,but not a Zweigles.;-)I have no doubt somewhere in USA(if not many places) have sausages that are 1st rate. Zweigles is a boyhood memory and just this year started to be a national supplier. I expect to be able to but them here in Orlando soon.

Zweigles are pork/veal...no additives, colorants or preservatives. I think the garlic is the preservative LOL
I 1st ate them years ago at a place called Ackermens in Gates NY...they would brown on a grill most of the day..get semi charred...then they would split the sausage and give it a few minutes on each side,,,after which Ackermens had huge silver bowls of 8 different condiments and Rochesters own version of hot sauce. All for less than a buck back then;-)

Interesting that Wegmans is now in NJ...I would have loved that in my NJ days. Wegmans will also have their version of a white hot...while they are cost effective compared to a Zweigles, only the puffy Zweigles are the real thing. That said...Id settle for a Wegmans white hot most days LOL
davidb383
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/10/21 12:46:47 (permalink)
first things first.. (bill voss, youre not THE bill voss from salt lake city are you??? who i knew in 5th grade?).. otherwise.. im in salt lake for a week, and looking for great sausages.. brats.. an artform that seems not to have made it to the Valley, but id love to be proven wrong.. thanks

dave burnett
John Fox
RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/11/06 18:55:07 (permalink)
Dempsey,

I was looking at Wegman's site with great anticipation of finally going this Sunday when they open in Woodbridge. I couldn't wait and hopped in the car and went to the nearest one to me (Bridgewater) which is almost an hour drive. But I was able to pick up both Zweigle's White Hots and Hofmann's German style franks. Zweigle's also had a Texas Red Hot, while Hofmann's had an all beef dog and their version of a white hot called a snappy griller. I will get these next trip to Wegmans.

While I was there, I also noticed that they sold Thumann's loose behind the deli counter as well as in the package. I bought 2 loose ones to compare with the Hofmann's.

First I tried the Hofmann's. Excellent. Far surpassed my expectations. Comparable to Thumann's. At least in the same class; although I still think that Thumann's is the best German style frank that there is. I found that the loose Thumann's that I had weren't as good as the ones out of the package. Any ideas why? I think that maybe they were a little drier due to exposure to air. Wegmans is the only supermarket I've been to in N.J. that sells franks loose in the deli section. Last month I went to visit my daughter at UConn and I bought some New England franks that were sold loose in the deli. They were Mucke's, Grote & Weigle, Deutshmacher, and Kayem. All good except the Grote & Weigle, which had a weird taste. I believe that it went bad because I've had Grote & Weigle before and it is a quality frank. Has anyone else had experiences buying loose franks from the deli? I eat Thumann's all the time, and these were not up to par. Next time I'll stick to the packaged ones. At any rate, I would put Hofmann's German franks right up there with Thumann's and Schaller & Weber as the best dogs of this type (German style). Two other that I would rate just below would be Grote & Weigle (the one made for the Galloping Hill Inn in Union which has a higher beef content than their regular pork/beef dog) and Miller's of Stratford Conn. which supplies Super Duper Weenie and the Windmill in Conn.

As for Zweigle's White Hots; they too were excellent. But like comparing apples and oranges. This dog, to me, is a bratwurst. Very similar to the bratwurst sold at the Union Pork Store which I consider to be the standard. I don't know why Zweigles doesn't call it a bratwurst. I suspect that their appeal may be wider if they called it a hot dog. I e-mailed Zweigle's and asked them about this, but they have yet to get back to me. A great product whatever you call it; one I will definitely be buying again. Also looking forward to trying the other brands mentioned as well as the franks from Liehs and Steigerwald that Cosmos said are even better than Hofmann's.
marberthenad
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 509
RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/11/06 20:43:43 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Stern

One of the small pockets of excellent sausagedom is Pella, Iowa, famous for Pella Baloney, here pictured in a hot sandwich with melting Gouda cheese:

wow, that photo has just put Pella, Iowa on my map. now all i have to get there ....
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1