america's great sausage cities

Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Author
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4654
2003/04/04 12:41:31 (permalink)

america's great sausage cities

I'm interested in what you all think are america's great wiener burgs. I broached this once with Michael
and he had strong opinions. Some places have sausages ingrained in the culture while others don't seem to be on the bus. There's the obvious NY vs. Chicago battle, and pork vs. beef, but what's the sausage situation in your town?
Are there ethnic subcategories in your town, or is it the traditional hot dog thing going on?

110 Replies Related Threads

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15335
    RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/04/04 13:25:42 (permalink)
    Probably not the answer to the real catagory here....
    BUT for me TAYLOR TEXAS is the town...to get Louis Mueller Hot LinksThey are the best wienie shaped tubes I have ever enjoyed !!
    catosaurus
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 293
    RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/04/04 19:16:40 (permalink)
    It's definitely not traditional, but check out Jody Maroni's, an LA treasure (originated on Venice Beach ... see website at http://www.maroni.com/). Top quality, tasty varieties, excellent fries.
    Michael Stern
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1037
    RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/04/04 19:35:33 (permalink)
    As a native Chicagoan, I'll take a charcoal-cooked Italian sausage with plenty of giardiniera on a length of Gonella bread...

jessicazee
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 132
    RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/04/04 19:37:41 (permalink)
    Milwaukee - German sausages rule. Usinger's is headquartered here.

But, I have to say that Sheboygan, Wis. is better known for their love of bratwurst. Boil in beer, then grill outside during Packer game. Eat immediately or immerse in beer/onion/butter concoction brewing in the Nesco roaster.

Milwaukee's Hispanic population has exploded in the last 10 years or so, and Mexican markets make their own chorizo. It's so spicy and good with eggs. And many hunters who venture up North in fall make their own venison sausage.

I also have to mention the hot Italian sausages made by both Koppa's Sausage King (there's some roadfood royalty for ya!) and also Glorioso's markets in Milwaukee. Both very tasty and spicy.

I grew up in Racine, Wis., a town with a very Danish & German contingency. I remember on Christams day & New Year's Day we wold have medistipoles (sp?), a spiral-shaped mild sausage - haven't seen it around in a while. Anyone know about this kind of sausage?
    John Fox
    • Total Posts : 2339
    RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/04/05 07:14:27 (permalink)
    Not a city per se, but North Jersey has a wide variety of sausages. This is due in part to being a place where a lot of immigrants settled in the last century. We border the Atlantic Ocean and are a few miles from Manhatten.

We have all kinds of hot dogs ranging from dirty water, kosher style all beef, German style beef and pork, Texas Weiners, Italian Hot Dogs, etc (see the posts on N.J. hot dogs). And due to the many people of German and Italian heritage, we have places making and serving German and Italian sausages. A place in Elizabeth called Tommy's Italian Hot Dogs and Sausage has a reputation for making the best sausage around. It rivals anything in Chicago or elsewhere. My hometown of Union, N.J. is home to 4 German butchers, who make excellent German sausage including bratwurst. I am a hot dog fanatic myself, but occassionally enjoy bratwurst. Usinger's in Milwaukee has a reputation for the finest franks and brats as well as other sausage. I have been ordering from them for a few years. Recently someone told me about the Union Pork Store. In my opinion the best of the 4 German butchers. This guy is a bratwurst fanatic and has lived in Germany. He's tried bratwurst from all over the country and Germany and told me that the brats from the Union Pork Store are the best he's had. In fact he drives a coupe of hundred miles round trip from Pennsylvania to buy them for his parties. I tried them and they are fantastic. I compared them next to Usinger's, Dietz and Watson, and 2 other local butcher's brats and they are head and shoulders above the rest with Usinger's and Fritz's Pork Store brats a distant second.
    If you are ever in the Union area, stop in and try their excellent sausage. Ask for the pork and veal bratwurst, coarse grind. As good a brat as you will find. Contact me if you need directions.
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4654
    RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/04/05 12:03:58 (permalink)
    michael, you said originally:
    Milwaukee and St. Louis tops, with Chicago and Buffalo in the second tier, then Acadiania outside New Orleans. Next you cruised over to Johnson City,Texas. I can't disagree with any of that but it sure makes me hungry. Do all cultures embrace sausagiana? And the buns are a subcategory I hadn't gotten my hands around.
    Cosmos
    • Total Posts : 1455
    RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/04/05 13:09:54 (permalink)
    Hey, what the heck, I'll toss Syracuse in the mix. While we're not world renowned for our sausage we do have a couple of great producers and we are home to the famous New York State Fair sausage sandwhich (the sandwhich responsible for Hillary's election...maybe that's not so good...but the sandwhich is tastey). Gianelli's, the largest producer, has been cranking out great italian sausage for years, both hot and sweet. They also make the Dinosaur's chorizo (not available in stores).

My favorite is a German meat shop called Leihs and Steigerwald's. They make some of the best German sausages and hot dogs. We buy a variety, bratwurst, knockwurst, bochwurst, hot dogs, grill them and serve them with a mustard cream sauce. They recently won a best tasting hot dog contest judged by David Rosengarten, beating out several NYC dogs.

We also have Hoffmans, who have been creating German hot dogs for decades, and are suppliers to the famous Heid's restaurant of Liverpool...but thats another thread.
    Michael Stern
    RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/04/05 14:32:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by bill voss

Do all cultures embrace sausagiana?

I've never found sausage to write home about in the Deep South. Ham, yes, for sure. But sausage doesn't seem to be of much interest in the ham belt.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13565
    RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/04/05 14:59:10 (permalink)
    Does Boudain (SIC) count? In Louisiana, it is a prevalent type of sausage. Regular casing filled with either pork, beef, alligator, crab, shrimp, or God knows what else. The best I had was in Houma, LA although it is available even in Wal Mart.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Cosmos
    RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/04/05 15:15:04 (permalink)
    Absolutely one of my favorites. I make a version w/ cooked pork. Its made with rice and meant to be steamed. Its great with eggs for breakfast. Get Bruce Aidell's (sp?) sausage book...chuck full of great sausage recipes and recipes for cooking w/ sausage.

And Michael how can you overlook andouille? Very popular in Louisiana!
    John Fox
    RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/04/05 15:19:13 (permalink)
    Hey Cosmos,

Where was the article about the Rosengarten hot dog taste test? Would be interested in reading about it.
    Jennifer_4
    • Total Posts : 1511
    RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/04/05 16:32:25 (permalink)
    Here in Fresno, CA, we have a real melting pot. We have excellent homemade chorizo, german, and italian sausages.
    dbear
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 131
    RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/04/06 01:12:23 (permalink)
    Couple of thoughts on this topic. Where I live (Boston) is not a great dog/sausage city, however, I recently had an excellent beef sausage at, of all places, a Guatemalan restaurant called Mi Tierra in Waltham, a close suburb. Excellent smoky taste, served with a sort of refried black bean and rice combo that was also excellent. I agree with the guy who mentioned Louie Mueller's in Taylor, TX for BBQ links; Smitty's in Lockhart is also great. My SO's hometown, Rochester, NY has excellent beef and pork 'Hots'; Don & Bob's on Monroe Ave. is a good example. The brand I like best is Zweigel's; Texas Hots (beef) or White Hots (pork, basically a Brat) are both excellent; natural casing with very good seasoning. As a generally good bet, available pretty much everywhere, I like Hebrew National kosher dogs. I prefer New England style top sliced rolls, buttered and grilled.
    Cosmos
    RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/04/06 09:51:40 (permalink)
    John Fox, I had read about it in either the Syracuse New Times or the Post Standard. I'll see if I can dig up a lead.
    Cosmos
    RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/04/06 12:44:54 (permalink)
    OK, here goes, the article was in the May 29th, 2002 issue of the Syracuse Post Standard. It quoted the May 13th issue of the Rosengarten Report (both articles can be purchased...I'm too cheap).

I don't have all the details due to my cheapness, but apparently, Liehs & Steigerwalds hot dogs tied for first place with Schaller & Webber Wieners of New York City.

All I know is I think they are great.
    John Fox
    RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/04/06 14:58:44 (permalink)
    Thanks, Cosmos. I'm cheap too. But I did pay for the Post-Standard article. Not much to it. It quoted Rosengarten calling the franks "one of the juiciest bologna dogs I've ever chomped" For the Rosengarten article, you have to purchase a back issue for $5.95 I wonder if Thumann's was included in this tasting. I think they make the best beef and pork franks that I've had by far. And this includes Grote & Weigel, Schickhaus, Schaller & Weber, and all the others I've tried. Including at least 5 or 6 German butchers. Oh well, taste is subjective. Do you have Thumann's in the Syracuse area? If so, what do you think of them?
    John Fox
    RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/04/06 15:31:12 (permalink)
    Cosmos,
    Also in the article, it was mentioned that Liehs placed second on Diversion Magazine's list of the tastiest franks in the country. I couldn't find this article doing a search, but I did find a good excerpt after doing a search for L&S. Check out their website, liehsandsteigerwaldmeats.com. Then click on News Links to the left. Listed are what the article considers the top 5 hot dogs in the country. Hoffmann's is #4 and #1 is Katz's deli in Manhatten. To me, this is like comparing apples and oranges because Katz's serves a spicy all beef kosher style dog. Hoffmann's is German style beef and pork with a more subtle spicing. L&S is too, and also contains veal.
    An interesting note; Katz's DOES NOT make their own frankfurters. I know someone who works there and also the person in charge of private label at Marathon Enterprises (producers of Sabrett) who told me that the dogs served at Katz's are Sabrett all beef with natural casing. 7 or 8 to a lb. The ones used at Gray's Papaya and Papaya King in New York City are also sabrett beef franks. But smaller, 10 to a lb.
    Cosmos
    RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/04/06 16:01:02 (permalink)
    No Thumann's that I've found. Wegman's stores may carry them, but I don't get to shop there too often. I'll keep my eyes open for them.

I can get the all beef variety in Hebrew Nat's, and Nathan's, and enjoy them both. Hoffman's are good, but L&S has them on pure flavor, they have a great spice recipe.
    Cosmos
    RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/04/06 16:08:05 (permalink)
    I just went to the Liehs & Steigerwald website, what a riot! I love the gallery with the photos of the meat cases. I can smell the smoke from here!
    John Fox
    RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/04/06 16:21:57 (permalink)
    Are L&S spicy, like an all beef dog? You have to try Thumann's. The ones in the blue and white package. These are the beef/pork ones that they are famous for. The all beef in the red and blue package are good, but try the beef and pork ones. And let me know what you think of them. How they compare to L&H. Last year there was a hot dog tasting at Cooperstown N.Y. and the winner was Usinger's Angus Franks, but the author of the article (see http:www.beercook.com/articles/slowfood1.htm) who lives in Milwaukee where Usinger's are made preferred Thumann's. Again, like I said before, it's like comparing apples and oranges. Usinger's is a spicy all beef dog (like Nathan's, Sabrett, and Hebrew National, only better) while Thumann's is beef and pork. Very tasty, but a more subtle spicing. Probably like Hoffmann's or Lieh's
    Cosmos
    RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/04/06 16:28:47 (permalink)
    No L&S dogs are not spicey like a traditional all beef. They just have a little more flavor than the other german dogs I've had. Its just a nice mix.
    jessicazee
    Cheeseburger
    RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/04/06 17:31:33 (permalink)
    I forgot about another Milwaukee sausage mainstay - Klement's. They are served at Miller Park for Brewers games & at the Bradley Center for Bucks games. Read about them here: http://www.klements.com

And for a laugh, check out the American Hot Dog and Sausage Council's website. You'll wonder why these people have so much time on their hands: http://www.hot-dog.org
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/04/07 09:17:45 (permalink)
    Elgin, TX has been proclaimed the Sausage Capital of Texas by our legislature, so who can argue with that? The Southside Meat Market's "Elgin Hot Sausage" is the most famous, but I prefer Meyer's beef sausage just down the road.

Kreuz in Lockhart has great sausage, and Charles in Smithville makes a beef and pig combo sausage that is out of this world.
    DaveM
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 353
    RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/04/07 10:26:04 (permalink)
    In Kennebunk,ME, try the Kennebunk Sausage Company-made fresh daily by a 30+ year veteran of the meat distribution biz in South Coastal ME.
    Everyone raves about Karl's Sausage Kitchen, in Saugus,MA
    For unique hot dogs-closer to a knockwurst size than a dog-try Pearl Country Club Franks.
    Usinger's bratwurst are being carried by the Trader Joe's grocery chain.
    Johnsonville brand products from Milwaukee are often spotted in East Coast markets.
    And the Walmart Super Stores are carrying Sabrett's dogs and the onion sauce (foil packet).
    DaveM
    Michael Stern
    RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/04/08 09:46:27 (permalink)
    One of the small pockets of excellent sausagedom is Pella, Iowa, famous for Pella Baloney, here pictured in a hot sandwich with melting Gouda cheese:

jessicazee
    Cheeseburger
    RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/04/08 19:39:05 (permalink)
    Michael Stern you are such a meanie to show me that sexy sandwich when I live too far away to go get one right now.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13565
    RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/04/08 19:55:33 (permalink)
    I have to agree, that is one good looking sandwich. We do not have anything like that around Knoxville, TN

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    bumper
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 96
    RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/04/08 21:04:16 (permalink)
    Paul is Harolds Deli in downtown Knoxville still open? They used to have very good food some sausage .
    scottmahaffy
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 28
    RE: america's great sausage cities 2003/04/08 23:22:07 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by bumper

Paul is Harolds Deli in downtown Knoxville still open? They used to have very good food some sausage .

Harolds Deli is still open in Knoxville, TN. But unfortunately there arent many good Hot dogs / sausages in the area. I am originally from near Syracuse, NY and Love Hofmann White Hots "snappy" or Coneys as we called them. I am happy to report they now sell online via their web site at http://www.hofmannsausage.com/home/ try them out -- you will love them.
    Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1