an adman's nightmare

Author
tmiles
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1965
2013/11/26 16:59:57 (permalink)

an adman's nightmare

Years ago when Con Agra was starting it's move from a wholesaler of food and feed components to a packaged goods producer, a friend complained about them. My friend was a wholesale ingredient broker, and his company lost clients when ConAgra bought and folded in smaller companies. He said it was even tougher on the ad men because ConAgra knew how to cut costs, and ads were often the first to go.

Today, I notice that ConAgra owns an awful lot of the brands that I buy. Wikipedia says that they are now the largest packaged food maker in the country. They still don't advertise a lot , considering their size, but I do like the RediWhip ad. "Do you want cream or oil on your pie?" I'm sure that you have seen the ad. 

2 Replies Related Threads

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10106
    Re:an adman's nightmare 2013/11/27 01:19:33 (permalink)
    Con Agra has killed many good products.
    Treetop Tom
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 334
    Re:an adman's nightmare 2013/11/27 10:15:56 (permalink)
    ConAgra, like many others, is not hitting quarterly estimates because of a drop in consumer spending and expensive acquisitions, so they are having to spend their marketing dollars carefully to keep the stockholders happy.  Advertising vs. promotions, which gives the bigger bang for the buck?  I was surprised to see the cross-advertising between Ro-Tel (ConAgra) and Velveeta (Kraft Foods) over the last year or so.  Same deal with Hunt's Tomatoes and Kraft Parmesan Cheese and ConAgra's Swiss Miss and Kraft's Jet-Puffed marshmallows.  That may be a mutually-satisfactory model that other competitor's can utilize.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1