another trip to NYC (more pics!)

Author
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3531
2006/10/23 23:31:18 (permalink)

another trip to NYC (more pics!)

hi again,
I squeezed in a short afternoon trip to NYC today.
I was already in the Freehold area, at my sisters house, only an hour bus ride from NYC. So I went for it!

Here goes:

first stop was Ben and Jacks Steak House.
W. 44th st, between 2nd and 3rd ave.

It is an "offshoot" of Peter Lugers, started by 2 longtime former waiters from Peter Lugers. (and those of you that read my last NYC post, know that I could not get into the "real" Peter Lugers last week)

my "small sirloin" steak from Ben and Jacks

it was $24.95, and lived up to it's name, as it WAS small. It may look big enough in the pic, but it was only about 1/2 inch thick, so it went too easy.
But it was tasty, not quite buttery soft, but very good, none-the-less.

it was a special price from the lunch menu. I really wanted to get the big porterhouse steak, but they did not have a porterhouse for one. Just for two, and I did'nt feel like shelling out the $75.00

this is the same Peter Luger style, where the meat is sliced, then put back on the bone.

Next time , I will try Wolfgangs Steak House (park ave and 33rd),another place started by a Peter Luger waiter.
We'll do a comparison test

next stop, Goodburger.
2nd ave at 43rd
my Goodburger burger

and this pic really shows off the good and juicy "char".
I just turned the burger upside down to show off the char.
order at the counter, and they will call your # when it is ready.
burger is in the $5.00 range.

my current choice for NYC's best burger. I enjoyed it much more than last weeks Burger Joint. (it had that beefy flavor I was looking for)

800 2nd Ave.
I took a pic (from outside) of an article that was taped on Goodburger glass wall. Here's what came out of it, no extra charge for the reflection!

it has apparently won some "best burger joint" awards already.
I'll 2nd that

I got caught up in a bomb scare as I was trying to leave NYC.
They had the Port Authority bus terminal closed for a few hours.
There were dozens of NYPD officers standing outside on the street, blocking access.
We had to take a "hike" over to 10th ave and 37th st, and try to flag down our bus right from the street, and deal with the pushing and shoving to get a seat. I was just grateful that buses were still leaving NYC!

I only spent 4 total hours in NYC this time, (including the last 45 minutes of it chasing after potential buses) but well worth it.

20 Replies Related Threads

pmrkr2
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 319
    RE: another trip to NYC (more pics!) 2006/10/24 00:38:23 (permalink)
    hey next time you get up to nyc try the cheeseburgers at prime burger (pretty sure it's on 51st St. between fifth and madison, it's the north side of St. Patricks). i think they're the best in nyc. there not those big giant kind and their not slider size but just perfect. let me know when your coming and it'll be my treat. also for a good hot dot try grey's papaya on broadway and 72nd St.)
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    RE: another trip to NYC (more pics!) 2006/10/24 01:03:03 (permalink)
    thanks pmrkr! I may just take you up on that burger offer...

I believe I went to that Prime Burger place a few years back.
    Is'nt it the place right across from St. Patricks Cathedral?

The place I went to had "schoolsize" style chairs, those kind that seemed to be mostly made for "righties". (Of course, I'm a lefty.)

I thought those burgers were just okay, but in all fairness, I'm not sure we're talking about the same place.

And I love Gray's Papaya!

hope to do a "meet and schmooze" with you sometime!
    ellen
    pmrkr2
    Cheeseburger
    RE: another trip to NYC (more pics!) 2006/10/24 16:01:27 (permalink)
    that is the correct location of prime burger sorry to hear ya didn't care for it.
    see ya around the city
    Pwingsx
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2170
    RE: another trip to NYC (more pics!) 2006/10/24 16:09:03 (permalink)
    You take very yummy pictures, Ellen.
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3053
    RE: another trip to NYC (more pics!) 2006/10/24 22:43:22 (permalink)
    And, for a future NYC trip, check out Zagat's for prix fix lunch at top restaurants in NYC, esp. during (now frequent) Restaurant Weeks. A friend of mine and I love to do this, we arrange a late reservation (which then serves as dinner, too) and have a great meal. I've been to Bouley, Jean Georges'Nougatine, Le Bernadin, Gramercy Tavern, Chanterlle, Petrossian, lots of the now defunct Frenches (Le Cirque
    essemjay58
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 134
    RE: another trip to NYC (more pics!) 2006/10/24 23:51:43 (permalink)
    Your quick trips look so fun! You are an eating machine; a steak followed by a burger--wow! Your pictures ar fabulous. Keep us up to date in the future.
    pmrkr2
    Cheeseburger
    RE: another trip to NYC (more pics!) 2006/10/25 08:45:49 (permalink)
    hey nynm great meals at great prices but not exactly roadfood but maybe it is for nyc
    Theedge
    • Total Posts : 1196
    RE: another trip to NYC (more pics!) 2006/10/25 10:40:22 (permalink)
    I don't know, looks like excellent road food to me. Nice pics, that burger in particular looks like it has a good flavor. I like those kind of fries too, not to thin, not to thick.
    Theedge
    • Total Posts : 1196
    RE: another trip to NYC (more pics!) 2006/10/25 10:46:04 (permalink)
    Hey, a question. Do you get stares when taking pics of your food? Questions? I'm a pretty confident fellow but I would find it odd taking pictures of my food in public.
    pmrkr2
    Cheeseburger
    RE: another trip to NYC (more pics!) 2006/10/25 12:22:53 (permalink)
    no i'm talking bout le bernadin, petrossian etc. as regards taking pictures of food in resturants i do it all the time and yeah it's a little odd but usualy people just ignore it and i always ask the wait person if it's okay. on time at a bbq chicken place in north carolina they got really up tight cause i didn't ask first and they were right so i learned my lesson.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15179
    RE: another trip to NYC (more pics!) 2006/10/25 12:44:43 (permalink)
    I shoot quite a few photos at our food stops while on the road. I use this as a rule of thumb, about involving the servers or manager in a discussion about what I am doing-

I figure shooting a photo of the plate and contents after it is served and while I am seated, is 'My' business (unless the place is real dark and the flash will really draw attention). If I am asked about what I am doing I am happy to comment that I want to share the moment with some of my friends on the internet.

If I have to get up and move around to shoot the table-scene , or a buffet serving line, or if I want to include the server or other staff I will normally ask our server, or a hostess or Manager if it is ok. I have only been denied at one location, The Rocky Point Shore Dinner Hall, in Rhode Island (Now closed). I was shooting the immense size of the almost empty hall the morning we visited it and the Manager asked me not to do that as it was 'contrary to their policy of'No Photos'.

In general I have found that the staff are pleased that I wanted to record our experience in their establishment. Often I receive suggestions for things to include in the photo-record, or tours of the kitchen area and things like that to make the visit something out of the ordinary. The Photo of the Huge Chili-Dog delivered to a neighboring table at Litton's In Knoxville was the result of the Customer and the server asking me if I wanted to include that unusual dish in my photo-record.(see the trip report for that review) Those happenings can really increase the satisfaction of a 'break' in the day for a good meal. I leave a business card with the Roadfood site URL on it if I receive that sort of special attention.
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    RE: another trip to NYC (more pics!) 2006/10/25 17:52:46 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by pmrkr2

hey nynm great meals at great prices but not exactly roadfood but maybe it is for nyc

in my case, I turned it INTO a "roadfood" experience....
    My goal was to try a steak at a Peter Lugers "offshoot" place...
    the bill was $27, and I gave the waiter $32 .

(it turned out that it came with mashed potatoes and broccoli for lunch)
    (or else i would have tried their "german potatoes" (a.k.a home fries)

I got out of there for $32, and in 40 minutes! To me, that was NYC roadfood! (and I saved more room in my tummy for the burger later)

I thought about ordering a caesars salad first, but deep down, all I really wanted to do was get to the "meat" of the matter!

ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    RE: another trip to NYC (more pics!) 2006/10/25 22:35:04 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Theedge

Hey, a question. Do you get stares when taking pics of your food? Questions? I'm a pretty confident fellow but I would find it odd taking pictures of my food in public.

that is a real good question, Theedge....
    I DO try to keep it a little more discreet in the fancier places (like the steakhouse I went to). Which in this case just meant waiting till the waiter turned his back, or went back into the kitchen. Just my personal style.

Sure, the less people watching the better... but I'm pretty quick, anyway... (no fancy lens or tripods, etc!)

But it's funny ,cause in the Burger Joint I went to in Le Parker Meridian hotel in NYC a few weeks ago, I noticed a few other people snapping away, before my burger was even ready. They had their NYC tourbooks in their hands! So it's nice to know I was'nt alone , for a change.

I will occasionally use my cell phone camera, particularly if I did not bring my digital. It's a trade off, however, cause the clarity is usually not as good...(unless I get real lucky with a "special angle" somehow), but on the bright side, it is pretty hard for anyone to tell I am taking a picture of my food! (dates included!--they don't know what I am up to!)

Just once, I got told "no pictures", as I was taking a pic of the deli case at Artie's Deli, on 72nd and broadway in NYC.

Also in Reno, NV in Sept. after I took my pic of the Mexican Restaurant on Kietzge Lane, I went inside to eat, and the manager asked me "what did you take a picture for?" and I just said real friendly "just for my own personal interest".
    But after that experience, I think I will just wait to take the pic of a place on my way OUT! (less chance for questions!)

Overall, I am pretty comfy taking pics, and feel entitled to at least take a pic of my own food on my plate...
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4724
    RE: another trip to NYC (more pics!) 2006/10/26 20:37:41 (permalink)
    Great photos and info. Thanks!
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    RE: another trip to NYC (more pics!) 2006/10/26 21:30:01 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by mr chips

Great photos and info. Thanks!

thanks Mr. Chips, for reading, and also for replying!
    ScreenBear
    • Total Posts : 1505
    RE: another trip to NYC (more pics!) 2006/10/26 21:59:53 (permalink)
    Ellen,
    Great stuff.
    The Bear
    John A
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4295
    RE: another trip to NYC (more pics!) 2006/10/27 06:49:31 (permalink)
    Hey Ellen,

Another great post. Is the Post & Coach Inn still open in the Port Authority? I used to chow down on their cheese and crackers with a couple of beers when heading back to Fort Meade, MD, in the early 60's.

John
    RIDEANDSLIDEFOOD
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 191
    RE: another trip to NYC (more pics!) 2006/10/27 08:09:27 (permalink)
    Hey Ellen

Sound like you are a traveling women, Ever get down to the Annapolis Md area I'll give the tour, but it's not New York City, which i must confess I have not been. Great photo's

Jim

ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    RE: another trip to NYC (more pics!) 2006/10/28 01:26:46 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by RIDEANDSLIDEFOOD

Hey Ellen

Sound like you are a traveling women, Ever get down to the Annapolis Md area I'll give the tour, but it's not New York City, which i must confess I have not been. Great photo's

Jim

I'll take you up on that Annapolis tour, rideandslidefood!
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5045
    RE: another trip to NYC (more pics!) 2006/10/28 01:44:07 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Pwingsx

You take very yummy pictures, Ellen.

I think the picture of Ellen looks better than the food.
    She looks yummy!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1