any Plattsburgh Michigans/Red Hots in Vermont?

Author
hkrall
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 42
2010/01/05 12:53:57 (permalink)

any Plattsburgh Michigans/Red Hots in Vermont?

Hey all I'm going up to Vermont in a couple months, and will definitely stop by a couple of the Plattsburgh "Red Hot" spots...

I'm also wondering if they are available in Vermont? Wikipedia says this: 

"Finally, in Vermont, the Michigan dog is almost always split and cooked on a grill before the meat sauce onions and mustard are added. Often, but not always, the bun (or slice of bread) is also grilled."

Google only turns up a handful of mediocre sounding Vermont Hot Dog Joints.. any suggestions for Vermont Michigans or Vermont Hot Dogs in general would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! 

post edited by hkrall - 2010/01/05 12:57:47

5 Replies Related Threads

hkrall
    Junior Burger
    Re:any Plattsburgh Michigans/Red Hots in Vermont? 2010/01/05 13:09:46 (permalink)
    looks like you guys answered some of my questions a few months ago-

http://www.roadfood.com/F...545&mpage=1#225553

sorry to be redundant.. but still interested in any insight into Vermont Michigans.. going to be close to the NY/Vermont border which would look to be a prime spot for Plattsburgh influence??
    ScreenBear
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1505
    Re:any Plattsburgh Michigans/Red Hots in Vermont? 2010/01/05 20:21:46 (permalink)
    Hawk,

Here's my contribution to your quest, taken from a previous post.

“Three Years Later”

Three years later, I have found two places I never fail to get a hot dog from when I’m in the Green Mountain state.

In South Burlington, Al’s French Frys [sic] is always a favorite stop. It has a retro look that really works. Perhaps that’s because it was retro before retro was cool. You see, Al’s has been pleasing palates since the late 1940s. It’s a nice clean place with lots of Roadfood charm, and the employees have a good, spirited attitude.

While I consider the fresh cut French fries world class, the otherwise ordinary, McKenzie skinless, beef/pork, 10-to-a-lb. wiener acquits itself better than one would expect via rather fine preparation on a flat grill and the assurance that it will be delivered to your awaiting hand good and hot, ensconced in a New England bun. Here’s the site:

%20%20
    %20%20%20%20%20%20[

Not far away, in Williston, at Maple Tree Plaza near the Christmas Tree Shop, is TJ’s Dawgs. TJ’s, operating out of a nice looking, wood-sided wagon he built on a tow trailer, serves a ¼ lb. Vienna Beef hot dog, also always delivered good and hot.

Numerous toppings are offered. Plus, those who wish their dog run through the proverbial garden will find available--- there on the counter at no extra charge--- all the condiments necessary to making that Chicago gustatory experience a reality. To the best of my knowledge, no other hot dog purveyor in Vermont serves this famed, high quality Chicago frankfurter.  Oh, and there are nice, umbrella-covered chairs next to the wagon where one may enjoy their dog.

Here’s a link to a site that has a photo of TJ’s:

[link=http://whats4lunch.wordpress.com/2008/05/01/tjs-dawg-houses-new-house/]
    http://whats4lunch.wordpr...dawg-houses-new-house/

The Bear 

post edited by ScreenBear - 2010/01/05 22:54:50
    ScreenBear
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1505
    Re:any Plattsburgh Michigans/Red Hots in Vermont? 2010/01/05 23:07:15 (permalink)
    P.S.--

Also of some renown is the Texas Dog at the Old Shed Bar and Grill at 80 Shelburne Shopping Park, Shelburne, Vermont.

It is a Mackenzie frank with a meat sauce on it, and from what I surmise, a local favorite.

The Bear
    hkrall
    Junior Burger
    Re:any Plattsburgh Michigans/Red Hots in Vermont? 2010/01/06 15:40:49 (permalink)
    Nice! Texas dog sounds like it might be in the "Michigan" category
    It's hard to find menu listings online for a lot of the diners & such up there.. 

Guess I'll just have to eat a lot of hot dogs!
    Thanks I'll report back in a few months with findings...

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18258
    Re:any Plattsburgh Michigans/Red Hots in Vermont? 2010/01/06 16:08:34 (permalink)
    hkrall

Nice! Texas dog sounds like it might be in the "Michigan" category
    It's hard to find menu listings online for a lot of the diners & such up there.. 

Guess I'll just have to eat a lot of hot dogs!
    Thanks I'll report back in a few months with findings...

Seems to me that what you're really talking about is a hotdog with the Greek-style meat sauce called chili in some parts, and known as Coneys in Michigan -- which is likely how it got its name.
    post edited by Michael Hoffman - 2010/01/06 16:09:54
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1