The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

any Plattsburgh Michigans/Red Hots in Vermont?

hkrall

• Total Posts: 42
any Plattsburgh Michigans/Red Hots in Vermont? Tue, 01/5/10 12:53 PM (permalink)
Hey all I'm going up to Vermont in a couple months, and will definitely stop by a couple of the Plattsburgh "Red Hot" spots...

I'm also wondering if they are available in Vermont? Wikipedia says this: 

"Finally, in Vermont, the Michigan dog is almost always split and cooked on a grill before the meat sauce onions and mustard are added. Often, but not always, the bun (or slice of bread) is also grilled."

Google only turns up a handful of mediocre sounding Vermont Hot Dog Joints.. any suggestions for Vermont Michigans or Vermont Hot Dogs in general would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! 

<message edited by hkrall on Tue, 01/5/10 12:57 PM>

hkrall

Re:any Plattsburgh Michigans/Red Hots in Vermont? Tue, 01/5/10 1:09 PM (permalink)
    looks like you guys answered some of my questions a few months ago-

http://www.roadfood.com/F...545&mpage=1#225553

sorry to be redundant.. but still interested in any insight into Vermont Michigans.. going to be close to the NY/Vermont border which would look to be a prime spot for Plattsburgh influence??

ScreenBear

• Total Posts: 1503
      Re:any Plattsburgh Michigans/Red Hots in Vermont? Tue, 01/5/10 8:21 PM (permalink)
      Hawk,

Here's my contribution to your quest, taken from a previous post.

“Three Years Later”

Three years later, I have found two places I never fail to get a hot dog from when I’m in the Green Mountain state.

In South Burlington, Al’s French Frys [sic] is always a favorite stop. It has a retro look that really works. Perhaps that’s because it was retro before retro was cool. You see, Al’s has been pleasing palates since the late 1940s. It’s a nice clean place with lots of Roadfood charm, and the employees have a good, spirited attitude.

While I consider the fresh cut French fries world class, the otherwise ordinary, McKenzie skinless, beef/pork, 10-to-a-lb. wiener acquits itself better than one would expect via rather fine preparation on a flat grill and the assurance that it will be delivered to your awaiting hand good and hot, ensconced in a New England bun. Here’s the site:

%20%20
      %20%20%20%20%20%20[

Not far away, in Williston, at Maple Tree Plaza near the Christmas Tree Shop, is TJ’s Dawgs. TJ’s, operating out of a nice looking, wood-sided wagon he built on a tow trailer, serves a ¼ lb. Vienna Beef hot dog, also always delivered good and hot.

Numerous toppings are offered. Plus, those who wish their dog run through the proverbial garden will find available--- there on the counter at no extra charge--- all the condiments necessary to making that Chicago gustatory experience a reality. To the best of my knowledge, no other hot dog purveyor in Vermont serves this famed, high quality Chicago frankfurter.  Oh, and there are nice, umbrella-covered chairs next to the wagon where one may enjoy their dog.

Here’s a link to a site that has a photo of TJ’s:

[link=http://whats4lunch.wordpress.com/2008/05/01/tjs-dawg-houses-new-house/]
      http://whats4lunch.wordpr...dawg-houses-new-house/

The Bear 

<message edited by ScreenBear on Tue, 01/5/10 10:54 PM>

ScreenBear

• Total Posts: 1503
        Re:any Plattsburgh Michigans/Red Hots in Vermont? Tue, 01/5/10 11:07 PM (permalink)
        P.S.--

Also of some renown is the Texas Dog at the Old Shed Bar and Grill at 80 Shelburne Shopping Park, Shelburne, Vermont.

It is a Mackenzie frank with a meat sauce on it, and from what I surmise, a local favorite.

The Bear

hkrall

Re:any Plattsburgh Michigans/Red Hots in Vermont? Wed, 01/6/10 3:40 PM (permalink)
          Nice! Texas dog sounds like it might be in the "Michigan" category
          It's hard to find menu listings online for a lot of the diners & such up there.. 

Guess I'll just have to eat a lot of hot dogs!
          Thanks I'll report back in a few months with findings...

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17796
            Re:any Plattsburgh Michigans/Red Hots in Vermont? Wed, 01/6/10 4:08 PM (permalink)
            hkrall

Nice! Texas dog sounds like it might be in the "Michigan" category
            It's hard to find menu listings online for a lot of the diners & such up there.. 

Guess I'll just have to eat a lot of hot dogs!
            Thanks I'll report back in a few months with findings...

Seems to me that what you're really talking about is a hotdog with the Greek-style meat sauce called chili in some parts, and known as Coneys in Michigan -- which is likely how it got its name.
            <message edited by Michael Hoffman on Wed, 01/6/10 4:09 PM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
              • No New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
              • Locked w/ New Messages
              • Locked w/o New Messages
              • Read Message
              • Post New Thread
              • Reply to message
              • Post New Poll
              • Submit Vote
              • Post reward post
              • Delete my own posts
              • Delete my own threads
              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com