Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

asparagus season is almost over here

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 40 of 40
Rayme

• Total Posts: 106
RE: asparagus season is almost over here Mon, 05/30/05 10:46 AM (permalink)
Having just returned from Germany and the self-proclaimed asparagus capital of Germany, Schwetzingen, I have to say that white asparagus is just fantastic! It's too bad you can't get fresh white asparagus here; well you can but it tends to be small, comes from Holland and cost an arm and a leg. White asparagus has a more milder flavor than the green and is usually simply steamed or boiled and then served with potatoes and either butter or hollandaise sauce and maybe a little ham. Having said that the chefs in Germany go crazy during the short two month season and serve white asparagus all sorts of ways. I think I ate white asparagus for four days straight and didn't get tired of it. Morels were also in season which was great but you can get them here no problem.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17851
    RE: asparagus season is almost over here Mon, 05/30/05 11:46 AM (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Scallion1

I grew up loathing asparagus, having only eaten those mushy specimens from cans, and I remember what a joy and a revelation it was to have the first fresh ones.

I like to blanch them, toss them with olive oil and lemon juice and grill them off.

I've grilled them, and I like them done that way. But my new favorite way is to toss them with olive oil and garlic and roast them.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15073
      • Roadfood Insider
      RE: asparagus season is almost over here Mon, 05/30/05 11:51 AM (permalink)

After the post with the label, I hesitate to jump in again, but what the hell... We have a nice patch in its 4th year so it is doing quite well providing several meal of Very Fresh Asparagus. If we can hold off from eating the stalks as we cut them, we like to Steam them a bit to soften the stalks then drizzle them with Olive Oil and sprinkle (Heavily)with Parmesean Cheese (on a cookie sheet) and some italian seasonings. Bake/roast to set the cheese and chow down !!

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17851
        RE: asparagus season is almost over here Mon, 05/30/05 12:28 PM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

After the post with the label, I hesitate to jump in again, but what the hell... We have a nice patch in its 4th year so it is doing quite well providing several meal of Very Fresh Asparagus. If we can hold off from eating the stalks as we cut them, we like to Steam them a bit to soften the stalks then drizzle them with Olive Oil and sprinkle (Heavily)with Parmesean Cheese (on a cookie sheet) and some italian seasonings. Bake/roast to set the cheese and chow down !!

Golly, Al, as a good neighbor, although not really close in terms of distance, I'd be happy to help you out while you're in Alaska by getting rid of any ready-to-go asparagus that might be in your garden during the time you're away.

SouthHillbilly

• Total Posts: 295
          RE: asparagus season is almost over here Mon, 05/30/05 1:11 PM (permalink)
          "asparagus season is almost over here."

Did it ever make it over there?

Sundancer7

RE: asparagus season is almost over here Mon, 05/30/05 8:53 PM (permalink)
            We have asparagus in our garden and it does well. It always is a wonderful spring treat but it has it's side effects.

Paul E. Smith
            Knoxville, TN

clucas

• Total Posts: 9
              RE: asparagus season is almost over here Mon, 05/30/05 8:59 PM (permalink)
              Here in Rochester, it's been so cool this spring, asparagus is still all over the garden!! I love asparagus in a bread pudding - add some leeks and a little lemon zest. Make a good custard and bake it up. Great dish if you have to take a meal somewhere. Easy, yummy and impressive.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15073
                • Roadfood Insider
                RE: asparagus season is almost over here Mon, 05/30/05 9:18 PM (permalink)
                Michael- Most of the picking's been done. We may find some late stalks next week, but will let them go to seed to promote growth for next year.

Paul, Yeah, Asparagus has a down-side (no pun) doesn't it?

Phishmonger

• Total Posts: 217
                  RE: asparagus season is almost over here Mon, 05/30/05 9:26 PM (permalink)
                  My Auntie grew asparagus back on the farm - lo, so many years ago - and insisted on cutting each stalk herself, but I could follow behind with the basket. She nurtured about a half acre of asparagus and sold it from a stand beside the road. She never charged enough, and always gave extra measure in each 1-lb. bunch. Her favorite way to serve it, which is mine also - steam the cut-up stalks slightly, then fold them into a medium white sauce along with cut-up hard boiled eggs. The sauce is seasoned with a little nutmeg. This is served on toast. Yummy for dinner, and the leftovers for breakfast. Have had my share this spring, but am looking forward to a few more weeks to savor locally grown stalks. Pricey at 3.99 lb., but worth it, I feel.

kozel

• Total Posts: 811
                    RE: asparagus season is almost over here Mon, 06/13/05 10:27 PM (permalink)
                    I'm going out on a limb here. I have to respond to all of the negative canned white asparagus talk. If you have a can, try this. Open it, drain it and top it with a good blue cheese dressing and eat it. I'm getting a bad feeling as I hit the POST button; but here goes......

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                      Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 40 of 40

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                      • No New Messages
                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                      • Read Message
                      • Post New Thread
                      • Reply to message
                      • Post New Poll
                      • Submit Vote
                      • Post reward post
                      • Delete my own posts
                      • Delete my own threads
                      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com