automatic pizza ovens

Author
tmiles
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2011
2005/01/27 13:08:50 (permalink)

automatic pizza ovens

More and more of the independent shops around here are going to the conveyor oven. The same company, Blodgett, makes them, and the pizza seems to be the same. I just wonder if they are beating the chains, why do they copy them?

8 Replies Related Threads

Theedge
    • Total Posts : 1196
    RE: automatic pizza ovens 2005/01/27 15:28:14 (permalink)
    One of our local mom and pop shops just switched to an oven that has several levels turns like a turntable. I think the crust actually got a bit better. They switched to keep up with demand and to make quicker deliveries. I suppose this might not be considered "automatic" as they are still manually removed.
    Cosmos
    • Total Posts : 1449
    RE: automatic pizza ovens 2005/01/27 16:43:46 (permalink)
    Does anyone own one of those countertop frozen pizza cooker things? I'd think you'd have to live a long way from a pizza shop to want one of those...
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: automatic pizza ovens 2005/01/27 19:52:51 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Cosmos

Does anyone own one of those countertop frozen pizza cooker things? I'd think you'd have to live a long way from a pizza shop to want one of those...

I like making my own pizza, considering shops around here are not worthy! As for the countertop versions, I've seen 2 now.. The old style which alot of taverns used to have, and those new circulating ones that heat top and bottom (and being open). I'd like to get one of those old bar style versions with the sliding drawer. See them left and right on ebay for a fairly cheap price.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    RE: automatic pizza ovens 2005/01/27 19:55:39 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tmiles

More and more of the independent shops around here are going to the conveyor oven. The same company, Blodgett, makes them, and the pizza seems to be the same. I just wonder if they are beating the chains, why do they copy them?

I personally dont care for the conveyor ovens. I'm not sure on how you can say they taste the same... A pizza cooked on a seasoned stone vs. something riding a wire mesh screen? Just my opinion! I'll take a brick oven pizza anyday!
    tmiles
    • Total Posts : 2011
    RE: automatic pizza ovens 2005/01/28 09:10:13 (permalink)
    UncleVic, I think that the taste may be the same because most pizza here is cooked in a pan, rather than directly on seasoned stone. I agree that a pizza maker who does not use a pan may not want to switch to a conveyer oven. I think that a high skill level is needed to cook directly on the stone. When I was a pizza delivery boy in college, I was often pressed into other tasks, but I was never, ever, allowed to put pizza in or out of the oven
    hatteras04
    • Total Posts : 1097
    RE: automatic pizza ovens 2005/01/28 09:25:52 (permalink)
    quote:

I have the one that spins (Presto Pizzazz) and it actually does a really good job. I'm not sure why you are putting it down becasue it does heat the pizza evenly from top and bottom. And then if one side is getting done a little faster than the other you can turn either burner off. There is no pre-heating required like a regular oven so you can get it done in much less time.

That being said, I very rarely use it for frozen pizza but I use it all the time for homemade pizza. I can get the crust stretched really thin on the pan and it cooks perfectly.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    RE: automatic pizza ovens 2005/01/28 12:56:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tmiles

UncleVic, I think that the taste may be the same because most pizza here is cooked in a pan, rather than directly on seasoned stone. I agree that a pizza maker who does not use a pan may not want to switch to a conveyer oven. I think that a high skill level is needed to cook directly on the stone. When I was a pizza delivery boy in college, I was often pressed into other tasks, but I was never, ever, allowed to put pizza in or out of the oven

Your probably worked for a bunch of tempermental (or is that mental) Italians like I used to.. But I had the opposite luck.. I had to learn to use the oven before I was allowed to toss the dough.. As long as you put enough corn meal on the pizza peel, loading it was a breeze.. (Though I did create some intresting shapes in the beginning)..
    Cosmos
    • Total Posts : 1449
    RE: automatic pizza ovens 2005/01/28 13:16:55 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by hatteras04

quote:

I have the one that spins (Presto Pizzazz) and it actually does a really good job. I'm not sure why you are putting it down becasue it does heat the pizza evenly from top and bottom. And then if one side is getting done a little faster than the other you can turn either burner off. There is no pre-heating required like a regular oven so you can get it done in much less time.

That being said, I very rarely use it for frozen pizza but I use it all the time for homemade pizza. I can get the crust stretched really thin on the pan and it cooks perfectly.

Sorry, I got the impression it was for frozen pizza only, and I'm thinking you have to eat a lot of frozen pizzas to but a special device just to cook only them
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1