bad dentist experiences? help , please..

Author
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3531
2006/05/28 15:47:28 (permalink)

bad dentist experiences? help , please..

Hi,
this topic is very "off topic".......sorry to bore anyone...don't really know who to ask but you guys and gals, my roadfood buddies!!

I had'nt been to a dentist in over 3 years at least.......

he did a filling and said he "changed my bite".......is that common?
cause my mouth did'nt feel the same anymore....

I went back to get an "adjustment", at my request.....my bite still feels out of alignment, but not AS bad as before... but only about 50% better. The receptionist said that perhaps the filling was up "too high"

this guy has been a dentist over 30 years, but is there such a thing as sloppy dentists?! Probably so, right...

going back, June 6th, to get my other cavity filled...maybe it will get my mouth in alignment more... (and why does it take 3 visits to fill 2 cavities).......4 visits including that "adjustment"

thanks for anyone that read this far...
ellen in NJ

22 Replies Related Threads

Copperhedzkettle
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 293
    RE: bad dentist experiences? help , please.. 2006/05/28 16:27:12 (permalink)

Find another dentist. Seriously....changing your bite! WTF?

Unless yer jaw and stuff are seriously outta line, it should only feel weird for a day or two. Sounds pretty Quacky to me, but I aint no dentist! Just have a long history with them. I'm not sure of your age, but females tend to get jaw problems at about 40. Ya know, they click and stuff, dont see a dentist see an oral surgeon.
    Mouth full of dental work that she could retire on,
    Copper
    John A
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4295
    RE: bad dentist experiences? help , please.. 2006/05/28 16:38:29 (permalink)
    Not a bore to me, I have had several very bad experiences in the past year. I had cracked a crown; my regular dentist retired so I made an appointment with another place that took our insurance. They told me it would be $1,000.00 to replace the crown plus $1,100.00 to make another bridge as my current one could not be used. My SIL is a doc so I asked him to recommend another dentist for a second opinion. Without insurance they did the crown and reused my bridge for less money then the other crook. I alternate between a regular dentist and a periodontist every three months; I made an appointment with another dentist that took our insurance for a regular cleaning. After being seated the hygienist told me she was going to do some sort of a procedure that I recognized as a periodontal thing. I explained my alternating schedule and that I only wanted a regular cleaning. Ten minutes later I was out of there, the lady behind the desk told me it would be $111.00. WHAT, $111.00 for a regular cleaning that was supposed to be $5.00 with my insurance. The paperwork showed the periodontal procedure, I told her that I did not care what the paperwork showed, I had a poor, 10 minute, regular cleaning and to get someone out here right now. The dentist came out, after conferring with the hygienist they changed my bill to $5.00 and informed me that I was not welcome back. I told them they were crazier than a red ass bumblebee if they thought I would even consider doing business with another bunch of crooks. That's enough for one day. Like the Sarge use to say on Hill Street Blues, “Be careful out there”.

John
    Copperhedzkettle
    Cheeseburger
    RE: bad dentist experiences? help , please.. 2006/05/28 17:10:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by xannie_01

THEY ARE ALL SLOPPY DENTISTS!!!!!!!!!!!

What are you sayin........iffen them and the Vets (veteranarions) weren't 759th in their class they could be Dr.s? I could never focus long enough to come up with a dissertation meself. I think both my kids (No drugs, natural.....one weighed 9 lbs.) were delivered by a freaking Vet.

Bwa-hhahahahahahahhahhahhhah

Hope yer Mem. Holiday is wonderful, xannie01

Ole Copperoo
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: bad dentist experiences? help , please.. 2006/05/28 18:24:11 (permalink)
    Didn't he have you bite down on a carbon paper type thing after he finished the filling? That leaves traces on any high spots on the filling, after which he can go back in there and burr them down.
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    RE: bad dentist experiences? help , please.. 2006/05/28 18:54:35 (permalink)
    No, I don't remember biting down on any carbon paper type thing......that sounds like an important thing he needed to do...

you guys have been great......it's so nice to get such good responses right away (I was afraid I would get none at all!) It's nice so many of you can sympathize......finding good doctors (and car mechanics!) are hard!

I tried to do the "right" thing, cause I had been neglectful.....to get these routine checkups...............I wanted a teeth cleaning, X-rays..... then I was off to get the mammogram done..... and all those lab blood tests, for cholestorol, etc.....

This was the first time I tried this dentist, as I just moved back to AC area 3 years ago...
    the "general practice" doc I went to see for a routine checkup recommended this possible "quack"..........

You know when you just get bad, weird vibes......in my brain, and now in my mouth...
    Turns out it was his daughter that did my teeth cleaning, and she was great.......no pain or wierd feelings. But it was the 2nd time cleaning she did for me. Was that really necessary for me to get a 2nd cleaning?!? (a week later) I mean I know I've been neglecting my teeth......
    that was $70 for that 2nd one.....plus $90 for the tooth fixing. (insurance sure does'nt seem to cover much these days, does it? just 80% , the receptionist said......well , the other 20% could surely add up! I did'nt like leaving there and hearing "that's $160")

But, like you said, "changing my bite, WTF?!"........in all my years of going to the dentist growing up, etc., I do not recall a dentist EVER saying he was "changing my bite".... How common is that?!?
    I felt like saying "the nerve of you! Why did you do that?!?" like someone changed your face without asking first... but it did'nt all hit me till later that day when the numbness wore off.......that it still did'nt feel right..

I feel like a car that is out of alignment!

Dilemma for me now!?! do I keep my next appointment for June 6th with this "since 1971" dentist........or do I leave a message on their office phone asking them to send me a copy of my dental records, and change dentists for this 2nd cavity?!? (maybe there is no 2nd cavity, who knows?).........my mouth never felt this wierd before, like when I bite down, it does'nt feel natural........can it be changed back?!? I want my OLD bite back!!! (like "I want my MTV", as they say) My friend had once given me a business card of a dentist he goes to.
    And apparently likes. I wish my general doc (it was my first time with him too) never recommended this guy.........might have just been a good friend of his for years, or something... and maybe he used to be good, but not anymore...

When I went back for the "adjustment", it still did'nt feel right, but he said "We've got to leave room on the other side for that 2nd cavity filling".......so next week I will be whole again?

Just how easy is it for a new dentist to correct this guys mess-ups , plus look at my charts correctly and fix the 2nd cavity? I would think it would be a common routine thing , right?

thanks so much guys and gals, and have a great Holiday weekend!

Ellen

Copperhedzkettle
    Cheeseburger
    RE: bad dentist experiences? help , please.. 2006/05/28 19:02:23 (permalink)

You done paid for it now.
    Tell him to FIX IT! And do it NOW.

Iffen he don't then post his name here on Roadfood, We'll never go there for nuthin. And its EXTREMELY RARE that yer teefies gotta be clean that often. IMHO, they are milkin the hell outta ya.

Respectfully,
    Copper

Best to ya, Girlfriend,
    nvb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 468
    RE: bad dentist experiences? help , please.. 2006/05/28 19:39:14 (permalink)
    It's not that uncommon for it to take as many as four visits to clean your teeth when they have been neglected. I know, I did it some years back. They will divide your mouth into quadrants because of the time it takes. Their arms get tired and you really don't want them working on your mouth with tired arms.

As for as changing your bite: I'd probably express my concern and let the doc know that you want your old one back, then let him go ahead and do the 2nd cavity and see where you land. Then go back until you are satisfied without writing a check.

As for as getting your medical records from them you'll have to go to the office and signed the release form. No one should allow them to go anywhere without a written release.
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    RE: bad dentist experiences? help , please.. 2006/05/28 21:12:27 (permalink)
    I'm going to strictly follow your advice, slick........(your advice is slick and straightforward)

I will give them a chance to see what they do with that 2nd filling.
    And tell him I want my old bite back !! I will try to see if they could get me in before my June 6th appointment...

And before I leave, I will tell the receptionist I would like a written copy of my records sent to me......I'll sign that release right there.....

(and this way, I could start planning ahead for a new dentist!)
    And thanks, now I know that a 2nd cleaning in 2 weeks is not unheard of.

ellen
    salsailsa
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 405
    RE: bad dentist experiences? help , please.. 2006/05/28 21:56:43 (permalink)
    Ellen-

Follow enginecaptain's advice. My dad is a dentist, and I have done assisting for him. When people need an adjustment, he gets them to bite on carbon paper to check the contacts of the teeth. Usually it is done at the end of the filling if the filling is on a biting surface. The adjustment should be made free of charge. Keep in mind though that a new filling will feel odd at first when it is on the biting surface.

ailsa
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: bad dentist experiences? help , please.. 2006/05/29 00:04:00 (permalink)
    I don't think the guy is necessarily a "bad" dentist. Any foreign substance applied to the biting surface of the tooth--whether it's a filling, a crown or whatever--changes the way things feel when you bite down. It is inevitable and an amazingly minute change in the shape of the tooth surface is all it takes But almost always, things can be adjusted to where it feels OK to you. The most common way of doing it is the carbon paper tactic (when you bite on the paper, it leaves a mark where the teeth hit and tells the dentist where he needs to grind off some material).

When he said he had "changed your bite" it was a somewhat inept way of saying things in your mouth weren't going to feel quite the same. As I say, that much was probably inevitable and some people don't mind it but many do. If he didn't, he should have explained that things could be adjusted until they felt OK to you because they can be. I do think, though, that he shouldn't charge you for aditional "adjustments" but rather there should be a total price for the filling.

I have had the experiences you describe--including the "change your bite" lingo--more commonly with crowns than simple fillings but, as I say, anything altering the shape of the bite surface of the tooth can do it and it doesn't mean the dentist is "bad".
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    RE: bad dentist experiences? help , please.. 2006/05/29 00:34:09 (permalink)
    all your support has been wonderful, fellow roadfooders..

Thanks BT, your words made a lot of sense......

I realized that when I went for the adjustment (which he did not charge me extra for, BTW), he did a small, minute smoothing of the surface........it only took a few minutes.......so I see what you mean, that even a few minutes can make a big difference....
    (better than it was before, anyway)

And his "chairside" manner could have been more professional and caring, (like if he used that carbon copy thing) but like you said, all this stuff does'nt mean he's necessarily a "bad dentist".....

I may have been in a slight panic, , so it is good to know what you said, BT ; that all this can somehow be "readjusted" quite easily to get it just right!

thanks so much again,
    ellen
    sizz
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1688
    RE: bad dentist experiences? help , please.. 2006/05/29 00:45:51 (permalink)
    quote:
    ellen4641 Posted - 05/28/2006 : 15:47:28
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi,
    this topic is very "off topic"........sorry to bore anyone...don't really know who to ask but you guys and gals, my roadfood buddies!!

I had'nt been to a dentist in over 3 years at least.......

Your problem is not with your dentist, it's with you not going to one in over 3 years.......... the key to a healthy set of choppers is preventative maintenance............. I'm going to be kind with you only because I don't know you, but if you were someone that was dearly close to me I'd read you the riot act.
    Get your fanny to a dentist at least twice a year for a cleaning and check up. Do this religiously without fail. Believe me it's the least painful and the least costly$$ . Catch your dental problems before they become expensive problems. The real benefit of going to a dentist often is that you and he become trusting friends ........................ and you wouldn't be looking for dental advice here.
    Sorry if I sound harsh but three plus years with out seeing a dentist is not a badge of honor, it's a sign of neglect and you were only asking for the trouble your in today.
    Good luck............ find your self a good dentist and become his/her friend.
    saps
    • Total Posts : 1563
    RE: bad dentist experiences? help , please.. 2006/06/03 02:40:18 (permalink)
    Additionally, for dental advice, it's probably best to not get it from some random website.
    2005Equinox
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 219
    RE: bad dentist experiences? help , please.. 2006/06/04 05:01:38 (permalink)
    There is nothing quite like the feeling you get when they start drilling and find they didnt use nearly enough numbing stuff.
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    RE: bad dentist experiences? help , please.. 2006/06/08 02:16:09 (permalink)
    yes, equinox, that just happened to me yesterday, when I went back to this dentist to get my other cavity filled! It WAS painful....
    Much worst than the first cavity was a week before...so I guess I was'nt numbed enough!

I made sure that they had me bite down on that carbon type paper after. I asked what it was called, and they said "articulating paper"....my bite still does'nt feel perfect ,but I'm hoping it's just my imagination at this point and/or it will adjust itself...

Even though this "roadfood" sight might be considered a far-fetched place to get dental advice, you know something?!? I could not be more pleased! So thanks all who offered your support!

Ellen

-Tricky-
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 305
    RE: bad dentist experiences? help , please.. 2006/06/08 10:37:12 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Copperhedzkettle

What are you sayin........iffen them and the Vets (veteranarions) weren't 759th in their class they could be Dr.s?

Random, but it's actually more difficult in the US (at least this was true in the late 90s) to get into veterinary school than it is to get into medical school. (I know little about dental schoool so I can't comment.) There are fewer veterinary schools, fewer veterinarians needed, and the breadth of knowledge is more extensive.

The vet school process is actually more competitive and cut-throat. " /> I know that's difficult to believe, but it's (or very recently was) true.

Anyway, back to ellen, I'm sorry your mouth is feeling weird. I've been lucky to always have good dental experiences. Recently I did have to have my last molar repaired and I felt as if my bite was wrong for about six weeks. It seemed to take about that long for it to be the same "size" as the last molar on the other side...

I hope you find that you have a similar experience.
    malibucreek
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: bad dentist experiences? help , please.. 2006/06/08 16:04:27 (permalink)
    My $.02: Go here to find a dentist - http://www.agd.org/findadentist/

It's the website of the Academy of General Dentistry. Being in AGD is similar to being "board certified" in other medical specialities. For trouble cases (such as not seeing a dentist in three years), these folks have the advanced training to get you back in shape, as effectively and painlessly as possible. My wife's uncle is in AGD and switching to AGD dentists has helped me immensely over the years.
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    RE: bad dentist experiences? help , please.. 2006/06/08 16:42:14 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by malibucreek

My $.02: Go here to find a dentist - http://www.agd.org/findadentist/

It's the website of the Academy of General Dentistry. Being in AGD is similar to being "board certified" in other medical specialities. For trouble cases (such as not seeing a dentist in three years), these folks have the advanced training to get you back in shape, as effectively and painlessly as possible. My wife's uncle is in AGD and switching to AGD dentists has helped me immensely over the years.

Being an "AGD dentist" means they joined a group, nothing more. It is true that as a member one can become a "fellow" or a "master" of the AGD by taking a certain # of continuing education courses and a test of some type, and one could argue that these higher level members may be better educated than a regular old dentist, but there is no mandate for anyone who is simply a member to advance their training, or take a test to prove their worthiness or level of skill. Being an AGD member is not at all the equivalent of board certification in the various medical or dental specialties.

People who take the time and effort to become AGD members may have a greater interest in their profession, which in turn may make them "better", but the simple fact they are an AGD member does not mean they have any advanced training or are in any way better qualified to treat your dental issues.
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    RE: bad dentist experiences? help , please.. 2006/06/08 22:44:47 (permalink)
    thanks , "Tricky" for your support.

I realize my bite may fall into place within the next bunch of weeks, like your molar did.

But I decided to leave the dental office a phone message tonight, saying that I would like them to prepare me a copy of my dental records......and I can pick them up in the morning, and sign any written release necessary.

(the reason is that I want to get a 2nd opinion, (try another dentist, and have him adjust my bite again, (adjust my "adjustment"). I did'nt tell them the reason on the phone message.
    I do not know if it's proper etiquette to tell them I want to get a 2nd opinion (is it?)(in other words , have another doc take a look at the work the first one did. If they ask why, I will say , "My bite still feels out of alignment, so I want to keep my options open"....
    (I'd like to try a dentist that my friend recommended)

As it is, this first doc has me coming back next Friday for "gum work", (scaling) ,whatever than means. I hope I can squeeze in the "2nd opinion" before that. And give a few days notice if I decide to cancel.

Tony Bad, that is informative what you said.......
    and it makes sense. (that ADG means they just took an extra continuation course, or something)
    And my doc is listed as one of those "fellows" in the phone book, and is a member of this, and that, etc........but so what?!? Cause my "bite" still feels wierd, like I have an overbite or something.....it's not locking together right..

thanks again, all of you for your support.

ellen

AndreaB
    • Total Posts : 1303
    RE: bad dentist experiences? help , please.. 2006/06/09 08:42:58 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by 2005Equinox

There is nothing quite like the feeling you get when they start drilling and find they didnt use nearly enough numbing stuff.

You got that right 2005Equinox --- that tense feeling where you're just waiting for them to hit a nerve. When my former dentist retired I went to the one who took over his practice and hells bells I got up out of the chair and left after "six" shots that didn't numb me, and all for a filling replacement. The former dentist was always a master at numbing.

Andrea
    -Tricky-
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 305
    RE: bad dentist experiences? help , please.. 2006/06/12 15:00:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ellen4641

(the reason is that I want to get a 2nd opinion, (try another dentist, and have him adjust my bite again, (adjust my "adjustment"). I did'nt tell them the reason on the phone message.
    I do not know if it's proper etiquette to tell them I want to get a 2nd opinion (is it?)(in other words , have another doc take a look at the work the first one did. If they ask why, I will say , "My bite still feels out of alignment, so I want to keep my options open"....
    (I'd like to try a dentist that my friend recommended)

I think it's perfectly reasonable, and well within your rights to ask politely for your records because you want a second opinion. I don't think that could be bad etiquette, unless you demanded them rudely.
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    RE: bad dentist experiences? help , please.. 2006/06/15 23:44:01 (permalink)
    Thanks, Tricky (and all!) for your support........I did ask nicely, and I paid the $25.00 charge for the copy of my records.

I got my 2nd opinion yesterday with another dentist .........he told me that the "scaling" (aka "deep cleaning") the 1st dentist had me coming back for was not really necessary....
    (so I cancelled that appointment)........that all I really needed to do was floss and brush better! (much better)........and my bite had started adjusting more on it's own, so that worked out , as well...

I feel much better with the 2nd guy, as I like his "chairside" manner better , as well...
    he explains procedures more thoroughly , too...

ellen

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1