baked beans

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Bushie
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: baked beans 2005/04/07 23:06:19 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

This was a very interesting thread till it turned disgusting.

Ditto.

Ok, it took me forever to find the original thread. This was from back in the "early days". Wanderingjew had started a thread about regional foods (it still gets resurrected today because it was a d*mn good topic), and you'll see some comments from posters who are long gone on the early pages.

I was talking to another redneck about beans, and the foxy Alaskan lleechef chimed in. At that time, I didn't know she was a French-trained Chef or I probably wouldn't have presumed to tell her how to cook beans. As it turned out, we've become good friends solely based on my bean recipe. (Well, that, and the fact that I'm a total Texas stud.)

Anyway, Lisa is the one who dubbed my non-recipe "Bushie's Beans", and I'm very humbly honored. (I get a real kick out of telling people that "I taught" a world-class chef how to cook beans. )

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1383&whichpage=4
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6727
RE: baked beans 2005/04/08 02:02:27 (permalink)
Yep. Bushie taught me how to cook "Bushie's Beans" and if any of you Roadfooders like beans.......follow his instructions and then dig in and enjoy. Best pot of beans on the planet. He's famous up here, as I cook them everywhere!
Rick F.
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1736
RE: baked beans 2005/04/08 11:56:23 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Bushie

quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

This was a very interesting thread till it turned disgusting.
Ditto.
Ditto.

But Bushie, YOU? Humble? Studly? Gimme a break!
scratz
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: baked beans 2005/04/10 11:36:39 (permalink)
all fine and good, but those are not what i am searching for. these beans were the consistancy of potato slad, no sauce.
TxConnie
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 83
RE: baked beans 2005/12/28 17:28:37 (permalink)
I made Bushie's beans this weekend. OMG-- best pot of beans I have ever made. Who knew something beans were good if you left them alone and don't keep adding things (except some garlic powder- I couldn't resist).
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: baked beans 2005/12/28 18:52:44 (permalink)
http://www.beanbible.com/

Try this link
peartree
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: baked beans 2005/12/29 07:40:02 (permalink)
Scratz:

Guess everybody just sort of got lost on your original topic.

I , too was from Syracuse at one point and my father in law went to th fish store and got fish, beans and cole slaw. Have not seen this type in any other place. But your closest ones would be a can of Grandma Browns if you can find them at the store.

Being raised in Vermont for years I always said that those beans at the fish store were not true baked beans, but have to admit they were good and went great with the fish dinner.

Good luck finding some Grandma Browns. If you do, they will be very close to what you want. I have found them once in awhile.

peartree
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: baked beans 2005/12/31 18:11:33 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by peartree

Scratz:

Guess everybody just sort of got lost on your original topic.

I , too was from Syracuse at one point and my father in law went to th fish store and got fish, beans and cole slaw. Have not seen this type in any other place. But your closest ones would be a can of Grandma Browns if you can find them at the store.

Being raised in Vermont for years I always said that those beans at the fish store were not true baked beans, but have to admit they were good and went great with the fish dinner.

Good luck finding some Grandma Browns. If you do, they will be very close to what you want. I have found them once in awhile.

peartree

https://www.redlinski.com/home.htm
peartree
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: baked beans 2006/01/01 07:33:40 (permalink)
I am sure that Grandma Browns are the right ones. They are still made in Mexico, New York , which is just up the road a bit from Syracuse.
I put a search in at Google and found a few places that one can order these. Anywhere from one can to a whole case, and have them shipped anyplace.
I am going to order some myself this next week, and bring back memories of the fish fry places in and around Syracuse.
Good Luck , and enjpoy!!

peartree
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1