banh mi sandwiches?

Author
chef joe
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 57
2004/09/01 13:00:51 (permalink)

banh mi sandwiches?

I think that is what they are called - banh mi, Vietnamese sandwiches. What exactly are they, ingredient wise? Is there any places in West Central Florida area(Sarasota, Bradenton, Tampa, etc.) that makes them. Please let me know if you have any info? Thanks.

8 Replies Related Threads

cedwin
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 63
    RE: banh mi sandwiches? 2004/09/01 13:57:56 (permalink)
    banh mi sandwiches are french rolls usually containing pork, some kind of pate, meatball slices, jalapeno pepper slices, bean sprouts, julienne carrots, and sometimes other things like daikon radish, spread with a mayonnaise-like sauce. They are truly delicious!

I can't help you with Florida locations, but I would think almost any Vietnamese restaurant would serve them
    Kristi S.
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 712
    RE: banh mi sandwiches? 2004/09/01 14:14:04 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by chef joe

I think that is what they are called - banh mi, Vietnamese sandwiches. What exactly are they, ingredient wise? Is there any places in West Central Florida area(Sarasota, Bradenton, Tampa, etc.) that makes them. Please let me know if you have any info? Thanks.

There's a new Vietnamese/japanese hybrid open in downtown St Pete, in Janus Landing. I forget the name of it but I bet they have what you want - and sushi, too!
    hatteras04
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1097
    RE: banh mi sandwiches? 2004/09/15 00:17:56 (permalink)
    In Columbus, OH at the North Market there is a Vietnamese food stand that I tried for the first time last Sunday. I had one of these sandwiches. It had ham, chicken roll, pate, cucumbers, carrots, mayo, and cilantro on a good crusty 6 inch roll. It was outstanding and it was only $3. They also had a great iced coffee that was a really strong coffee poured over sweeetened condensed milk and ice. I will definitely be back to try some other thigns soon.
    worldchefppg
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: banh mi sandwiches? 2004/09/29 20:10:02 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by chef joe

Hello, you live in the right area for a cornacopea of Vietnamese food. St. Pete is a mecca of a large population of Vietnamese with restaurants all over, then Tampa, and 2 in Sarasota. Most all serve Banh Mi mostly for lunch, BUT along US 19 in the upper 70's street wise, there is an actual sanwich shop totally dedicated to Ban Mi. The most standart meats used are a kind of ham, a rich slice of a kind of pate, a cut of a cold cut resembling head cheese, and the usual vegs and garnish. This place goes on to a variety with meatballs and tripe and so forth. Nearby is a large, interesting Vietnamese market called Cho-Lon Market,and the staff speaks good English, should you need directions and/or reccomendations, with a good resturant next door, as well. Cho-Lon carries store made standard Banh Mi. The sandwich shop is down the hill in the same plaza going north. The resturant makes good dishes such as summer rolls, and under "Bun" (noodles) grilled pork with vermicelli noodles and a nice vinegrette to pour over the combo with a lot of veg garnish. The pork tastes like nothing you've ever had. The hot peppers used in the Banh Mi, by the way, are the little oriental variety---little but real, real potent. Then there is the Pho, and the Pho houses, which is a wonderful and big soup. They're also all over St Pete and Tampa. Bon Apetite, David E.
    imsofull
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 61
    RE: banh mi sandwiches? 2005/07/20 23:52:56 (permalink)
    Today I had my first Banh mi sandwich.... I have a lot of catching up
    to do!!! OMG, they are delicious, I am hooked.
    Macdaddy
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 73
    RE: banh mi sandwiches? 2005/07/21 14:27:17 (permalink)
    Does anyone know where to get a good one in Seattle? I have never tried.
    dreamzpainter
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: banh mi sandwiches? 2005/07/21 16:14:21 (permalink)
    Banh mi means filled bread or small bread depending on who you ask and what pbs shows you watch
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: banh mi sandwiches? 2005/07/21 17:11:04 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by cedwin

banh mi sandwiches are french rolls usually containing pork, some kind of pate, meatball slices, jalapeno pepper slices, bean sprouts, julienne carrots, and sometimes other things like daikon radish, spread with a mayonnaise-like sauce.

The sauce, I think, is not mayonnaise-like. It IS mayonnaise PLUS hoisin sauce. I've intently watched them make my favorite roast pork banh mi and that seems to be what they smear on the bread. They also put a generous bunch of cilantro (but will leave it off if you don't like it). Also, around here (San Francisco's "Little Saigon") the carrots are marinated in a sweet vinegar marinade (which really adds something to the sandwiches IMHO) and they don't use daikon or bean sprouts that I've seen.

By the way, we've had numerous previous discussions of banh mi, the lengthiest being at http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30&SearchTerms=banh,mi
    so if you are interested in the subject, check there.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1