barbq lamb

Author
marky
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 104
2006/10/09 17:08:59 (permalink)

barbq lamb

where can i get bar b q lamb or mutton in florida?

15 Replies Related Threads

tmiles
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1968
    RE: barbq lamb 2006/10/10 11:02:23 (permalink)
    A timly post....
    I don't know about sheep bbq in Florida, but mutton and lamb BBQ has been mentioned on this site in the past. Your post caught my eye because as a member of the Worcester County Sheep Assn, I was recently assigned the task of researching the subject. If anybody has small scale commercial experience, I'd like to hear from you. We have been asked to set up a booth at several fairs next season, and we would prefer not to repeat the mistakes of others. Thanks
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18346
    RE: barbq lamb 2006/10/10 12:40:30 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tmiles

A timly post....
    I don't know about sheep bbq in Florida, but mutton and lamb BBQ has been mentioned on this site in the past. Your post caught my eye because as a member of the Worcester County Sheep Assn, I was recently assigned the task of researching the subject. If anybody has small scale commercial experience, I'd like to hear from you. We have been asked to set up a booth at several fairs next season, and we would prefer not to repeat the mistakes of others. Thanks

You might want to contact the Ohio Lamb and Wool Marketing Program,or the Ohio Department of Agriculture http://www.ohioproud.org/ohpr-lamb.stm

The lamb folks run a booth at the Ohio State Fair each year, and they seem to sell a lot of lamb dinners, barbequed lamb dinners and barbequed lamb sandwiches. I have four or five of the sandwiches every year.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15214
    RE: barbq lamb 2006/10/11 13:26:19 (permalink)
    Not a small scale operation, but you may want to contact Pat Bosley one of the Owners of the Moonlite BBQ in Owensboro, KY. It is in the center of the Mutton-BBQ area in Central Kentucky. Pat is quite knowledgeable about the Mutton business and is willing to share his thoughts with those who talk with him.

Here is a link to his site. In addition to an email contact, you can purchase BBQ Mutton on-line from them. Good Luck on your Mutton seach!

[url]www.moonlitebbq.com[/url]
    HollyDolly
    • Total Posts : 1069
    RE: barbq lamb 2006/10/12 12:29:09 (permalink)
    You might want to see if any grocery stores in your area carry lamb,mutton or goat.
    Walmart by me sells seasoned leg of lamb which is deboned and in packages.If you live near the Miami area,you might be able to find it.Cabrito,which is goat in spanish can be found in grocerystores around here in San Antonio.
    If you buy lamb,you should be able to find recipes for bbqlamb.
    doggydaddy
    • Total Posts : 1847
    RE: barbq lamb 2006/10/12 13:03:50 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by marky

where can i get bar b q lamb or mutton in florida?

(Raising hand...) I know some suggestions. First off, there are many recipes for grilled butterflied leg of lamb. Cook it like a thick steak, but strive to keep it medium rare to medium. It is nice to have it marinated or seasoned prior to cooking. Adding fresh rosemary enhances the flavor and then you add the stems for smoke.

I always seem to have shoulder chops in the freezer and they can be cooked like a steak and very quickly. Some folks find them fatty and that there may be too much cartilage. I do too, but the price is right.

I am the biggest proponent of lamb breast. These are very meaty spare ribs. I just made some last weekend, after seeing JohnA's pictures under the topic of 'I threw a few ribs on the grill'. I became inspired and got some of those. I can always find these at the Latin market.

Which brings up one other suggestion. Eat more goat. You should be able to find this easily in the area and it is worth seeking out and trying. It is mild and flavorful, though what I have seen and used were stewing cuts.

I have never seen mutton anywhere and would like to try it. I think that it falls into the goat category where most people are put off by the name.

mark
    tmiles
    RE: barbq lamb 2008/11/10 15:37:25 (permalink)
    I got an unsolicited Jack Stack Barbecue catalog in the mail over the weekend. They have "Lamb Rib Classic" on pg 24, "Jack's Personal Favorite" www.jackstackbbq.com
    brittneal
    • Total Posts : 1265
    RE: barbq lamb 2008/11/10 15:53:36 (permalink)
    I had asked about mutton awhile back. Although its quite popular in other countries it doesnt seem to have a market here. Does this mean that after they grow past the lamb state, that they get to live long productive lives growing wool?
    britt
    tmiles
    RE: barbq lamb 2008/11/10 16:14:51 (permalink)
    "Lamb" BBQ is usually "mutton" or so I am told. There have been some good posts on the Moonlight BBQ that you can find on this list. They use mutton. I have never been there, but hope to go some day. I'd also like to try Jack Stack if I am ever in Kansas City for more than a change of planes. Most lambs that grow "past the lamb state", are used as breeders. Mutton comes from animals culled from the flock.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: barbq lamb 2008/11/11 09:56:03 (permalink)
    The folks at Moonlight BBQ told us that they use only 2 year old female sheep for their mutton BBQ. They said anything older and anything male is just too strong to sell.

Cheers, john
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15214
    RE: barbq lamb 2008/11/12 11:27:10 (permalink)

We buy Racks of Lamb Ribs at Costco. Roughly $10 a lb retail. They are frozen and have been 'Frenched' A quick Browning at High Temp in a frying pan then into the oven for about 16-18 minutes at 450 will give you a beautiful LAMB entree. I eat Mutton at the Moonlite BBQ, but I have never mastered getting a large piece of Sheep (Leg or Shoulder) to taste "Ungamey".
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4610
    RE: barbq lamb 2008/11/12 11:35:05 (permalink)
    There's always been a mutton contingent in KC Cue places. Pretty strong stuff.
    edit:
    I see gates still offers mutton but bryant's no longer does.
    the jack stack offering is lamb ribs, always popular.
    zataar
    • Total Posts : 1440
    RE: barbq lamb 2008/11/12 13:09:47 (permalink)
    Hey Bill, remember Boyd's on Prospect? They had lamb ribs that were terrific. And lamb breast. That was really good. I miss Boyd's.
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4610
    RE: barbq lamb 2008/11/12 13:37:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by zataar

Hey Bill, remember Boyd's on Prospect? They had lamb ribs that were terrific. And lamb breast. That was really good. I miss Boyd's.

Z, Boyd's was always my favorite Q joint, and Mr. Boyd was so cool.
    For a short while in the 70's they had a second location on Merriam Lane
    west of 14th, right by our house. Heaven right down the street.
    He made the best sausages too.
    zataar
    • Total Posts : 1440
    RE: barbq lamb 2008/11/12 13:46:41 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by bill voss

quote:
    Originally posted by zataar

Z, Boyd's was always my favorite Q joint, and Mr. Boyd was so cool.
    For a short while in the 70's they had a second location on Merriam Lane
    west of 14th, right by our house. Heaven right down the street.
    He made the best sausages too.

Yes, the sausages were great! I never knew there a second location. That must have been convenient
    Born in OKC
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 428
    RE: barbq lamb 2008/11/13 00:55:54 (permalink)
    Last time we ate at Rendezvous, currently featured in an adjacent thread, they had BBQ lamb ribs which I was not much taken with on account of the gamey aspect. My favorite BBQ, all time, was Salih's, later Solly's in Dallas, now closed for some years. The proprietor was Lebanese, IIRC. He made great sauce, with a litttle bite and served pepperonici or similar as a side. I've always wondered what he could have done with lamb in any form.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1