basic no mark-up costs

Author
jacqueline8
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
2005/05/08 13:50:59 (permalink)

basic no mark-up costs

I am helping to set-up a kitchen for a non-profit center - we need to figure out what is a reasonable cost , without mark-up, for breakfast, lunch and dinner, per person so that we can make a budget - none of us have a clue - we are only guessing - food will be organic when possible - meat, vegetables, etc. any help would be appreciated

10 Replies Related Threads

dreamzpainter
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: basic no mark-up costs 2005/05/08 14:50:22 (permalink)
    The costs will probably flucuate daily as will the cliental, about all you can do is guesstimate your daily customer base and work from there.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: basic no mark-up costs 2005/05/08 16:02:40 (permalink)
    I'd calculate food costs as you prepared your menu with inventory on hand... Give you a basic idea on what to charge. Something that fluctuates as what your describing, it seems like the only way to go...

Oh, you didn't mention if the food costs would cover overhead such as gas, electricity and water...??

6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    RE: basic no mark-up costs 2005/05/08 17:12:24 (permalink)
    Will you be using places like Second Harvest ( http://www.secondharvest.org/ ) to help supply your food, shopping in places like Costco, Sam's Club and Wal Mart Supercenters, buying from restaurant supply houses, or shopping in local supermarkets, natural food stores and farmer's markets? There is a very wide range in food costs depending on which route you can (or cannot) go. Also, who are you feeding: families, young children, teens, elderly people? The menu and quantities necessary for your type of customer can make costs vary greatly.
    zataar
    • Total Posts : 1440
    RE: basic no mark-up costs 2005/05/08 20:08:43 (permalink)
    Are the people cooking volunteers or paid staff? Will your customer base be paying per meal as in a restaurant or will the diners be paying dining account dues? When I was running the kitchen at a non - profit it was necessary that we made money to pay the food and beverage staff. After expenses, there really was very little to declare as profit, but we had to make enough money to pay the people cooking and serving. It was quite a balancing act, making enough money to operate, but not TOO much. Some of any extra income (infrequent) could be rolled over into the next month's budget. Doing an annual budget proposal was challenging.
    zataar
    • Total Posts : 1440
    RE: basic no mark-up costs 2005/05/08 20:20:06 (permalink)
    I meant to say "are the people doing the cooking..." We never cooked the volunteers or the staff at the non - profit kitchen, even when times were rough.
    dreamzpainter
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: basic no mark-up costs 2005/05/09 01:09:28 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by zataar

I meant to say "are the people doing the cooking..." We never cooked the volunteers or the staff at the non - profit kitchen, even when times were rough.
    wipein tears from my eyes....
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    RE: basic no mark-up costs 2005/05/09 19:23:03 (permalink)
    You have to Love them Volunteers! Thanks Zataar!
    jacqueline8
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: basic no mark-up costs 2005/05/13 22:31:05 (permalink)
    Well- we aren't planning on selling the meals - we will have retreats which people will attend and we will cook for them --I thought there might be some kind of basic guideline for how much it costs to feed a person breakfast, lunch and dinner - then we can figure out how much to charge for the retreat - nothing fancy - just plain old good food

Thanks for all your suggestions
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    RE: basic no mark-up costs 2005/05/14 12:32:04 (permalink)
    Not knowing your local food costs, if the food is donated, bought in bulk wholesale, or from the local grocery store that question is hard to answer. But if you where going wholesale (bulk), I'd figure 2.50 for breakfast, 4 for lunch and 5 for dinner. Some will come out cheaper, so another one may come out more, but even out in the end. Just a rough guess...
    kareno
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 13
    RE: basic no mark-up costs 2005/05/15 08:17:28 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jacqueline8

Well- we aren't planning on selling the meals - we will have retreats which people will attend and we will cook for them --I thought there might be some kind of basic guideline for how much it costs to feed a person breakfast, lunch and dinner - then we can figure out how much to charge for the retreat - nothing fancy - just plain old good food

Thanks for all your suggestions

Your menu is going to drive your cost, along with the # of people you're looking to serve. There isn't a basic formula for costs, unfortunately.

Breakfast is generally cheap, depending on what you want to offer.
    Do a set menu, like pancakes, and stay away from a 'buffet' as you have to put more out than.

Lunch, same thing, limit the choices... grilled cheese, soup, ham & cheese are options to keeping the costs down.

Things like pasta & rice will keep dinner costs low. Cassarole type meals... chicken (cube cuts) with noodles, carrots & peas in sauce (shop for chicken on sale or ask a market to sell it to your group at cost).

Dinner for 50, can be done for about $3 per person with a lot of shopping & planning.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1