beach food men...

Author
NYNM
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3053
2006/10/13 01:18:21 (permalink)

beach food men...

Just had another memory. Summer snacking (goodbye to summer)Wondering who can comment:

When I was young there used to be these men who came on the beach (Coney Island, Manhattan Beach, Brighton Beach) with these paper shopping bags and used to roam the beach selling food. They always had on sneakers and white undershirts. These vendors used to call out "Get your hot knishes here!" or "Icey-Wiceys Here"!. or "Cold sodas/hot knishes here! (of course I used to joke: Hot sodas/cold knishes!)They would just come to your blanket and open the shopping bags. I never knew where they came from, if the were part of some group or independents or what. Not sure they still do this.

15 Replies Related Threads

NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    RE: beach food men... 2006/10/14 14:49:59 (permalink)
    Hey guys this is vintage NYC 1950-60's. No memories or other locales?
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6765
    RE: beach food men... 2006/10/14 16:01:16 (permalink)
    The only experience I've had with beach food men was in Cabo Frio, Buzious and Rio in Brazil. These guys roam the beaches with little carts, one with cold green coconuts where they whack off the top and put two straws in it and you can drink the icy cold coconut water (it's not milk yet). They also sell roasted corn on the cob, grilled cheese on a stick, raw oysters, and other goodies. Each vendor sells one thing and has his own cart. The cerveza is purchased at the kiosk behind the section of beach where you're sitting.
    Oneiron339
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: beach food men... 2006/10/16 07:37:51 (permalink)
    In my sordid past (50's and 60's) in Wildwood, NJ, the beach had ice cream vendors all wearing white outfits and carrying a cooler on a strap over their shoulders. The ice cream was kept cold with dry ice and often, the popsicle you got would actually stick to your tongue. These guys did this up and down the beach all day - all summer. They had the pith helmets and most wore work boots to combat the hot sand. "Get your fudgy wudgys here. Icey wiceys." There were also young kids selling newspapers - usually NY Daily News and Phila. Daily News.
    Ashphalt
    • Total Posts : 1644
    RE: beach food men... 2006/10/16 09:30:16 (permalink)
    I remember the "fudgey-wudgey" bars from Jones Beach and Robert Moses in the 80s. I think it was usually "Ice-cream, popsicles (or icey-wiceys), frozen Snickers (pronounces snickahs), fudgey-wudgey bars." Yes, they had coolers with dry ice and pith helmets. Also guys selling the Daily News, Newsday and the Times. Somewhere, it may have been at Robert Moses, I remember a speedboat dropping them off and replenishing their stock.

We were disappointed to discover that "fudgey-wudgey" bars were just fudgesicles.

And no surprise, but we didn't see similar vendors at Jacob Riis Park.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15241
    RE: beach food men... 2006/10/16 10:40:59 (permalink)

Growing up in SoCal during the same time period...late 40's & 50's, I remember the bicycle-powered carts of some venders that pedaled along the strand at Redondo and Hermosa...but we didn't have walking-guys wandering thru the folks "on the beach". If a stranger approached kids and their towel/blankets, especially an adult Male, he would have been considered an intruder/predator, and an alarm of sorts would have been forthcoming. We also were reminded not to talk to strangers(often).
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    RE: beach food men... 2006/10/16 11:02:32 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ashphalt

I remember the "fudgey-wudgey" bars from Jones Beach and Robert Moses in the 80s. I think it was usually "Ice-cream, popsicles (or icey-wiceys), frozen Snickers (pronounces snickahs), fudgey-wudgey bars." Yes, they had coolers with dry ice and pith helmets. Also guys selling the Daily News, Newsday and the Times. Somewhere, it may have been at Robert Moses, I remember a speedboat dropping them off and replenishing their stock.

I was about to add a comment about the "fudgy-wudgy bar" guys, but saw you beat me to it! They probably built up a lot of strength trudging thru the sand with those coolers.
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    RE: beach food men... 2006/10/16 20:43:59 (permalink)
    Aha! So the memories are coming back! Icey Wiceys and Fudgy Wudgys! Yummy Yummy!

(and what about your hot knish? No mustard?)
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    RE: beach food men... 2006/10/16 21:45:01 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by NYNM

Aha! So the memories are coming back! Icey Wiceys and Fudgy Wudgys! Yummy Yummy!

(and what about your hot knish? No mustard?)

I spent most of my beach days out at Robert Moses, and we just had the ice cream and cold drink guys. There were also kids selling those rope bracelets and bead ankle bracelets. Never had the pleasure of getting a nice knish at the beach.
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    RE: beach food men... 2006/10/17 09:08:02 (permalink)
    Yes, I think these guys were very local. I think Riis Park never had them because it is a city-run beach with their own concession stands and bathhouses, but some of the others were "public" beaches.
    I think the guys also had "hot pretzels" for sale in their shopping bags.

Suddenly this memory is so vivid. I lived sorta near these beaches in Bklyn and we used to go alot. As a teenager I would go with my friend all summer long and hang out. These beach guys walking all over the sand were quite the fixture.
    Ashphalt
    RE: beach food men... 2006/10/17 09:35:10 (permalink)
    I don't recall concessions at Riis Park when we used to go there (mid-80s). It may have been during a renovation, or maybe I missed them. What I remember of Riis Park is that it was a cross-section of working class NYC, and just like the City it was settled in blocks. There'd be a Jamaican block, a Puerto Rican block, an African-American block, and so on. Then there'd be teenaged kids who visited from block to block. And every block had its own food cooking. As struggling 20-somethings who could only afford to get out of the City by subway it was fascinating, but it was almost torture. We'd pack our lunch but I always left there starving. But it was always fun.
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    RE: beach food men... 2006/10/17 10:05:38 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ashphalt

I don't recall concessions at Riis Park when we used to go there (mid-80s). It may have been during a renovation, or maybe I missed them. What I remember of Riis Park is that it was a cross-section of working class NYC, and just like the City it was settled in blocks. There'd be a Jamaican block, a Puerto Rican block, an African-American block, and so on. Then there'd be teenaged kids who visited from block to block. And every block had its own food cooking. As struggling 20-somethings who could only afford to get out of the City by subway it was fascinating, but it was almost torture. We'd pack our lunch but I always left there starving. But it was always fun.

Interesting....I went more in the 60's so I guess it was a different crowd. Mostly "white" as I remember (in those days we seemed terrified of colors). I do remember the "scandal" of the gay beach. Bay 14 I think (all the beach blocks were called bays). I think there was even a hint at a nude "bay". But all of us nice catholic girls stayed way away.
    Ashphalt
    RE: beach food men... 2006/10/17 10:38:00 (permalink)
    Really interesting. It's always neat to hear how parts of the City evolve. Most of the "white" people in the area that we saw (besides us) were east of the park on the Rockaway beaches, and that seemed to be all locals and set up in clubs (formally or informally). You could walk by, but don't drop your towel.

That's right, the "blocks" were bays. I don't recall the number but the supposed gay beach was the Westernmost. Not a lot of gays when we were there, I think they'd all gone to the Pines by then. The supposed nude beach was West of the park in the undeveloped area. But at the time it was being developed as part of Gateway National Recreation Area so it was pretty well patrolled and they'd kick people out. Oddly enough, they did permit groups of mentally challenged people (on organized visits) stay on the unguarded federal beach.

I'd love to see what they've done with the place. It was actually very pretty.

BTW - when we got a little older and had better jobs our big mass transit getaway was camping at the National Seashore on Fire Island. Spaces were by lottery, but free. And if you know how to pack and load a luggage cart it is possible to carry tent, clothes, three days of food, and even a screen house on the subway, LIRR and ferry.
    stellatj
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 13
    RE: beach food men... 2006/10/17 16:50:30 (permalink)
    I grew up on long island my aunt lived in brooklyn i remember the guys selling food at the beach i was born in 61 so it was the late 60's early 70's
    nibianc2
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: beach food men... 2006/10/17 21:38:05 (permalink)
    Knishes sound so good. If we were in Staten Island We would go to Goulden's deli and get some. I'm remembering when I was little, me and my mom would be walking up 86th street in Brooklyn (Bensonhurst area) NY and the men that used to sell the big soft pretzles that were roasted or grilled over fire. I was really little so it's kind of hard to remember all the details, except me always asking my mom to buy me one. Knishes, chinese food, pizza, all he good stuff in Brooklyn. Not to mention my italian pastries. ...sigh...
    AndreaB
    • Total Posts : 1303
    RE: beach food men... 2006/11/21 23:08:43 (permalink)
    We always vacationed in Florida when I was a child, and I don't remember the beach food vendors (this could be because we vacationed on a quiet beach). At the beach we usually vacation at in the Bahamas there are the guys who come around selling whole coconuts which they machete open for you and add some rum to the milk.

Andrea
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1