The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

best cheesesteak in philadelphia...

corby_t_drone

• Total Posts: 3
best cheesesteak in philadelphia... Sat, 03/1/08 11:09 AM (permalink)
Is actually in Reading, Pa., 50 miles west, at Santo's sandwich shop on 6th and Laurel downtown.

I do not kid. We went to D'Alessandro's last weekend, have been to Tony Luke's, have been to 9th and Passyunk, and Santos is simply better. It's in the chipped steak family, with healthy amounts of onions and hot peppers. On behalf of Reading, we throw down the gauntlet.

justtable

• Total Posts: 101
    RE: best cheesesteak in philadelphia... Sat, 03/1/08 11:16 AM (permalink)
    I know it may be the popular answer, or maybe not, but there is something about Pat's. I have had Geno's and Tony Luke's, but there is something about rolling up to Passyunk around 2:30a.m. that puts Pat's on top for me. I think it has to do with the lack of cleanliness. It's like an adventure....lol

KevinBurg

• Total Posts: 37
      RE: best cheesesteak in philadelphia... Tue, 03/4/08 10:35 PM (permalink)
      Depending on my mood, Steve's Prince of Steak's at Bustleton and Saint Vincent in Northeast Philly or Chink's on Torresdale ave in Wissinoming. I also enjoy the steak and atmosphere at Geno's.

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
        RE: best cheesesteak in philadelphia... Wed, 03/5/08 11:24 AM (permalink)
        "best cheesesteak in philadelphia..."

the first four words of a bar fight in the city of brotherly love.

exsquidao

• Total Posts: 409
          RE: best cheesesteak in philadelphia... Wed, 03/5/08 11:27 AM (permalink)
          LOL...that's good.

brisketboy

• Total Posts: 1058
            RE: best cheesesteak in philadelphia... Wed, 03/5/08 11:32 AM (permalink)
            Ditto

justtable

• Total Posts: 101
              RE: best cheesesteak in philadelphia... Wed, 03/5/08 11:58 AM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by Scorereader

"best cheesesteak in philadelphia..."

the first four words of a bar fight in the city of brotherly love.

Not only Philly...bring up the wrong name elsewhere and your bound to feel a little brotherly love.......

Pigiron

• Total Posts: 1384
                • Roadfood Insider
                RE: best cheesesteak in philadelphia... Wed, 03/5/08 2:05 PM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by corby_t_drone

Is actually in Reading, Pa., 50 miles west, at Santo's sandwich shop on 6th and Laurel downtown.

If it's 50 miles west, how can it be the best in Philly? That's not even remotely Philadelphia, it's another city entirely.

branedamag

• Total Posts: 14
                  RE: best cheesesteak in philadelphia... Wed, 03/12/08 3:01 PM (permalink)
                  How can anyone not go for Jim's?

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
                    RE: best cheesesteak in philadelphia... Wed, 03/12/08 4:43 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by branedamag

How can anyone not go for Jim's?

because Jim's is in Philadelphia, and clearly you don't understand that the best cheesesteak in philadelphia is actually in Reading, PA? understand?

phlmaestro

RE: best cheesesteak in philadelphia... Wed, 03/12/08 4:50 PM (permalink)
                      I went to Steve's Prince of Steaks on Bustleton Ave. in Northeast Philly this past weekend for the second time and have to say they are my favorite. The roll, meat and even the cheese whiz are all very high quality. My only minor complaint the first time was that they were slightly skimpy on the meat, but I rectified that by going with the "double meat" menu option this time around.

divefl

• Total Posts: 1671
                        RE: best cheesesteak in philadelphia... Wed, 03/12/08 4:57 PM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by justtable

I know it may be the popular answer, or maybe not, but there is something about Pat's. I have had Geno's and Tony Luke's, but there is something about rolling up to Passyunk around 2:30a.m. that puts Pat's on top for me. I think it has to do with the lack of cleanliness. It's like an adventure....lol

You "roll up" on anything at 2:30 in the morning it is because you've been out drinking. Anything tastes like the best after that. Go to Wendy's at 2:30 AM and it's a great freakin burger. Go at 2:30 PM and it's conveyor belt fast food.

KevinBurg

RE: best cheesesteak in philadelphia... Thu, 03/13/08 8:46 PM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by phlmaestro

I went to Steve's Prince of Steaks on Bustleton Ave. in Northeast Philly this past weekend for the second time and have to say they are my favorite. The roll, meat and even the cheese whiz are all very high quality. My only minor complaint the first time was that they were slightly skimpy on the meat, but I rectified that by going with the "double meat" menu option this time around.

I'm glad you enjoyed it, you have exquisite tastes!

Kevin from Bridesburg

JBarry713

• Total Posts: 243
                            RE: best cheesesteak in philadelphia... Thu, 03/13/08 9:26 PM (permalink)
                            quote:

Never been to Steve's, but as far as Cheese Whiz is concerned, isn't it all the same quality. Unless different places make their own variant of "cheese whiz," the product itself is made by Kraft, so I don't see how one place's Cheese Whiz could be superior in quality than another place's. I have been to Pat's, Geno's, Jim's, and Sonny's in Philly and the one component of the cheesesteak that did not set any place apart from another was the Cheese Whiz. I'm not from Philly, so please fill me in.

db1105

• Total Posts: 185
                              RE: best cheesesteak in philadelphia... Sat, 03/15/08 8:18 PM (permalink)
                              This is one question you have to answer for yourself. There are a lot of good cheesesteaks in the Philly tri-state area.

KevinBurg

RE: best cheesesteak in philadelphia... Sun, 03/16/08 4:12 PM (permalink)
                                quote:
                                Originally posted by Jack Barry

quote:

Never been to Steve's, but as far as Cheese Whiz is concerned, isn't it all the same quality. Unless different places make their own variant of "cheese whiz," the product itself is made by Kraft, so I don't see how one place's Cheese Whiz could be superior in quality than another place's. I have been to Pat's, Geno's, Jim's, and Sonny's in Philly and the one component of the cheesesteak that did not set any place apart from another was the Cheese Whiz. I'm not from Philly, so please fill me in.
                                God no, cheese whiz is not all the same quality! The only whiz that is good is Kraft. Any other brand is garbage!

Coldwind

• Total Posts: 5
                                  RE: best cheesesteak in philadelphia... Sun, 04/6/08 1:22 AM (permalink)
                                  Jim's is the place, and don't be fooled by all the talk about Cheez Whiz,
                                  get it with grilled onions and Provolone. The best steak in Philadelphia.

bwave

• Total Posts: 231
                                    RE: best cheesesteak in philadelphia... Sun, 04/6/08 1:40 AM (permalink)
                                    (I don't eat beef/cheese, alergic) My question is, if Whiz is so good, why do you not see it anywhere else but Philly? Everywhere else uses provolone. I live in Delaware and the steaks look so much better here... but again what do I know. :)

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                      • No New Messages
                                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                                      • Read Message
                                      • Post New Thread
                                      • Reply to message
                                      • Post New Poll
                                      • Submit Vote
                                      • Post reward post
                                      • Delete my own posts
                                      • Delete my own threads
                                      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com