best lobster pound (near Bar Harbor, ME)

Author
kthan
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
2005/07/19 23:11:05 (permalink)

best lobster pound (near Bar Harbor, ME)

Thurston's or Trenton Bridge?

I have searched different board quite a bit and found that the two lobster pounds would be the best when trvaling Acadia NP in Aug.
Can anyone compare the two places in terms of food quality, menu selections (any particular menus not to be missed, other than lobster), price, and atmosphere?
My original thought is visit one of each in two days. I heard that Thurston's would be a good dinner spot around sunset time. I am little worried that, if they carry the exactly the same menu, it would be too repetitive, even if have two fresgest lobster meals would not be too unhappy.

Also, if you recommend the other place(s) over these two, please do so with your comment(s).

8 Replies Related Threads

Oneiron339
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: best lobster pound (near Bar Harbor, ME) 2005/07/20 07:40:05 (permalink)
    Try Red's in Wiccassett (sp) for a great lobster roll. Also, farther south in Kittery is Warren's which has been there forever and has wonderful lobster and the best salad bar in NE.
    CheeseWit
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1393
    RE: best lobster pound (near Bar Harbor, ME) 2005/07/20 08:25:27 (permalink)
    I really enjoyed Trenton Bridge Lobster Pound when we were there on our roadfood honeymoon in August '03.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13477
    RE: best lobster pound (near Bar Harbor, ME) 2005/07/20 08:44:22 (permalink)
    Every time I am in Bar Harbour, I drive the coastal route back to Portland and I always stop at Young's Lobster Pound in Belfast. It overlooks Penobscot bay. they have stainless steel tanks that contain several thousand lobsters. The lobster's are constantly being irrigated with fresh seawater directly from the bay. Their main business is wholesale but they cook right on the spot. They offer boiled corn, potatoes and cole slaw and potato chips. You pick out the rascal that you want and the size that you want, wait about 20 minutes and you are ready for some super food. No alcohol available but you can BYOB. Great view if you eat out on the deck.

I have stopped there many times and always enjoyed it. I have attached their web site for your review.

http://www.coastlinememories.com/young's.lobster.pound.html

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    BBQ Barney
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 161
    RE: best lobster pound (near Bar Harbor, ME) 2005/07/20 09:33:06 (permalink)
    Sorry I haven't been to Trenton Bridge to compare, but that may be because I like Thurston's so much. Invariably I get lobster, steamers and their great fish stew. If it helps, Thurston's menu is lobster,mussels & steamers, all the normal "rolls" and a couple of stews. Sides of slaw, chips, etc. available.
    RC51Mike
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 443
    RE: best lobster pound (near Bar Harbor, ME) 2005/07/20 10:43:50 (permalink)
    We were at Trenton Bridge earlier this year and enjoyed it. Nice friendly folks.

If you like beer at all, you have to stop at Atlantic Brewing.
    Patti B.
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: best lobster pound (near Bar Harbor, ME) 2005/07/24 22:20:18 (permalink)
    I just got back from Maine yesterday. Thurstons was incredible (had a great Blueberry Ale with my lobster). For those in our group not wanting lobster (my daughter thought they were too cute to eat), the other stuff was great also.

Another great place we found was Biel's (next to the Coast Guard Station) in Southwest Harbor. Again, great lobster and seafood stuff, but the other food items kept my non-seafood eating family happy.

We were staying near Trenton Bridge LP, but drove out of our way to frequent both Thurston's and Biel's over the course of five days. Also, Trenton Bridge had a limited menu ~ I think just the lobster and clams (plus a few sides).

Trenton Bridge is not open on Sunday, if that matters.
    imsofull
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 61
    RE: best lobster pound (near Bar Harbor, ME) 2005/09/10 22:15:19 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

Every time I am in Bar Harbour, I drive the coastal route back to Portland and I always stop at Young's Lobster Pound in Belfast. It overlooks Penobscot bay. they have stainless steel tanks that contain several thousand lobsters. The lobster's are constantly being irrigated with fresh seawater directly from the bay. Their main business is wholesale but they cook right on the spot. They offer boiled corn, potatoes and cole slaw and potato chips. You pick out the rascal that you want and the size that you want, wait about 20 minutes and you are ready for some super food. No alcohol available but you can BYOB. Great view if you eat out on the deck.

I have stopped there many times and always enjoyed it. I have attached their web site for your review.

http://www.coastlinememories.com/young's.lobster.pound.html

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

Sundancer brings up an interesting point....the availability of sea water. We found that the lobster from restaurants that boiled the them in sea water were far superior to restaurants that boil them in fresh or tap water. Since we discovered this difference we have sort of become lobster "snobs" and only patronize businesses that are on the water and use sea/salt water to cook them. It makes a big difference! check it out
    tacchino
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 560
    RE: best lobster pound (near Bar Harbor, ME) 2005/09/10 22:38:41 (permalink)
    You know, this actually makes sense, recalling my high school biology and chemistry...if lobsters were raised in salt water, then their cells were used to a lower concentration of H2O molecules...when put in fresh water, H20 molecules would migrate into their cells...in other words, their is a reason why sometimes I find lobster meat boiled in tap water to taste waterlogged...basic chemistry, I guess.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1