Ashevillenc
Gatlinburgtn
Cherokee nc
Nashville tn
Bowling green ky
cave city ky
Possibly bardstownky
Finishing up in Memphis tn

I understand theres quite a good mexican place in Cave city Is it still good?

Are there any other "dont miss" mexican places on our journey?

thank in advance!

17 Replies Related Threads

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10324
    Re:best place for authentic mexican....? 2011/05/24 16:31:01 (permalink)
    Welcome to Roadfood and the Colonies!Enjoy the beautiful South!
    Most of the "Authentic" Mexican food is in the Southwestern part of the USA. Not to say there's none in the towns you mention, but it will be rare. You're going to be in the Heart of Southern Cooking and I hope you have that in your plans. Soul Food, Ribs & BBQ, "Meat & Three" places, ( http://www.meatandthree.com/ ).
    And be sure not to miss Southern Breakfasts -Grits, Biscuits. Country Ham & red eye gravy, sausage gravy and other stuff!
    For Mexican places, try using www.urbanspoon.com Enter the city and see what you get.
    And remember, Taco Bell isn't "Authentic" Mexican food!
    When in Nashville, be sure to catch the Grand Ole Opry. http://www.opry.com/ 
    The world's longest running live radio program, featuring American country music.
    In Asheville NC, be sure to visit the Biltmore Estate. Like being back home! http://www.biltmore.com/
    Sounds like you're going over the Smokey Mountians to Knoxville TN. It's a beautiful ride.  
    http://www.nps.gov/grsm/index.htm

So much to see, so little time!
    post edited by Foodbme - 2011/05/24 16:41:13
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4634
    Re:best place for authentic mexican....? 2011/05/24 16:49:03 (permalink)
    Why wouldn't there be "authentic" Mexican food back east? The 2010 census says otherwise.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10324
    Re:best place for authentic mexican....? 2011/05/25 03:06:05 (permalink)
    1bbqboy

Why wouldn't there be "authentic" Mexican food back east? The 2010 census says otherwise.

I didn't say there wasn't any "authentic" Mexican food back East.
    Since you didn't bother to pay attention to what I said, here it is again.
    " Most of the "Authentic" Mexican food is in the Southwestern part of the USA. Not to say there's none in the towns you mention, but it will be rare." 
    The 2010 Census has nothing to do with it. Let's see your facts from the 2010 Census for the percentage of Hispanics in NC, TN, KY verses CA, AZ, NM and TX. Also, give the statistics for the number of Mexican restaurants per 100,000 people in NC, TN, and KY verses CA, AZ, NM, & TX.
    Quit making stupid statements just to pick a fight.  You can change your name but you're still a jerk.
    smokestack lightning
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 302
    Re:best place for authentic mexican....? 2011/05/25 03:34:15 (permalink)
    Foodbme

1bbqboy

" Most of the "Authentic" Mexican food is in the Southwestern part of the USA. Not to say there's none in the towns you mention, but it will be rare." 
    The 2010 Census has nothing to do with it. Let's see your facts from the 2010 Census for the percentage of Hispanics in NC, TN, KY verses CA, AZ, NM and TX. Also, give the statistics for the number of Mexican restaurants per 100,000 people in NC, TN, and KY verses CA, AZ, NM, & TX.
    Quit making stupid statements just to pick a fight.  You can change your name but you're still a jerk.

1. Actually you are uninformed apparently. There is extremely good Mexican food in many parts of the USA not just the Southwest.  And no it is not a rarity. Chicago and Nashville both have excellent Mexican food for example.

2. It is, once again, you who acted badly calling him a jerk. When in fact the only jerkish behavior here was you, you being a jerk, once again. In this case an uninformed jerk. 
    post edited by smokestack lightning - 2011/05/25 03:35:53
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6311
    Re:best place for authentic mexican....? 2011/05/25 08:49:22 (permalink)
    I agree,right here in local Brick USA, we have several great Mexican restaurants,run by Mexicans(many have moved to the east,remember)...and even several Mexican markets, selling all kinds of Mexican products. My family lived in Phoenix and Yuma, Az for deacdes and I'd have to say our places here are as good as much I sampled out there, to say the least. This is a different world out there, today!!!
    post edited by leethebard - 2011/05/25 08:50:30
    brisketboy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1117
    Re:best place for authentic mexican....? 2011/05/25 09:35:10 (permalink)
    Having been stationed in San Diego for 12 years I would say the best authentic Mexican food is probably found in Mexico.
    CountryRoseUK
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re:best place for authentic mexican....? 2011/05/25 09:47:01 (permalink)
    Hey everyone :)

Yes Meat & threes are on the menu also but i cant eat a lot of heavy food really, especially on days when I'll need to drive. Im also quite concerned about eating healthily too and too much mac& cheese I guess is not too good for me!

I checked urbanspoon and yelp too, I have a few ideas but I wanted to come and see what roadfooders felt .I didnt want to cause any  arguments! :That said Ive had some bad greasy meals in mexico and some amazing mexican in London.

I dont mind if its not amazing. I have been to taco bell last time we were in the states, ( we dont have it here inthe UK) its novel but not that nice of course .

CRUK x
    brisketboy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1117
    Re:best place for authentic mexican....? 2011/05/25 11:35:00 (permalink)
    CRUK I was wandering the streets of Polpero (lovely little seacoast town in Cornwall just up the road from Loe ) one fine morning when I came upon a Mexican place named PEPE's authentic Tex-Mex. Talk about a bizarre find! Place was closed so I couldn't sample their wares. Nothing to do with the topic..just sayin'.
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4634
    Re:best place for authentic mexican....? 2011/05/25 13:58:56 (permalink)
    i'd like to try this place:
     Taqueria Gonzalez - Asheville, NC
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5092
    Re:best place for authentic mexican....? 2011/05/25 14:27:49 (permalink)
    Hi, CountryRoseUK. Welcome to our fair shores. We lived in London on and off for twenty years and aways missed Mexican food while there.
    It's a shame you're not coming to Texas because we have some of the very best authentic Mexican food this side of Mexico as well as our own famous, "Tex-Mex".
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    Re:best place for authentic mexican....? 2011/05/25 15:31:34 (permalink)
    smokestack lightning

Foodbme

1bbqboy

1. Actually you are uninformed apparently. There is extremely good Mexican food in many parts of the USA not just the Southwest.  And no it is not a rarity. Chicago and Nashville both have excellent Mexican food for example.

2. It is, once again, you who acted badly calling him a jerk. When in fact the only jerkish behavior here was you, you being a jerk, once again. In this case an uninformed jerk. 

Boys!, boy's! Please! I've always admired our posters and members because of their civility. Something which is lacking on other blogs.
    So please, tone down the personal stuff. Name calling and arguing does not belong on Roadfood.
    Were all sort of family here. The good kind. Not the "Thanksgiving family" kind.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    Re:best place for authentic mexican....? 2011/05/25 15:35:27 (permalink)
    CountryRoseUK

Hey everyone :)

Yes Meat & threes are on the menu also but i cant eat a lot of heavy food really, especially on days when I'll need to drive. Im also quite concerned about eating healthily too and too much mac& cheese I guess is not too good for me!

LOL! Welcome to America. Prepare to go home with a few extra notches in your belt!
    post edited by Twinwillow - 2011/05/25 15:37:26
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3146
    Re:best place for authentic mexican....? 2011/05/25 15:41:35 (permalink)
    You can drink water and eat fruit and veggies.
    smokestack lightning
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 302
    Re:best place for authentic mexican....? 2011/05/25 20:22:09 (permalink)
    Twinwillow

smokestack lightning

Foodbme

1bbqboy

Boys!, boy's! Please! I've always admired our posters and members because of their civility. Something which is lacking on other blogs.
    So please, tone down the personal stuff. Name calling and arguing does not belong on Roadfood.
    Were all sort of family here. The good kind. Not the "Thanksgiving family" kind.

Could not agree more about what should be happening here. But he responded to a perfectly reasonable question by calling someone a jerk.  Thats being a jerk in my book.
    he continually does this and often its when someone does not agree with an ignorant uninformed opinion he has. This one is absurd as anyone who knows much about Mexican food in the USA knows. Actually laughable. I suggest a trip for him. To Chicago where he can accomplish two things. One discover amazing Mexican food totally different than what is available in the Southwest. Two, if he acts that way in a Chicago tavern someone will teach him not to be such a jerk!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18634
    Re:best place for authentic mexican....? 2011/05/26 02:13:21 (permalink)
    You must be kidding. Voss?
    NC Cheesehead
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 158
    Re:best place for authentic mexican....? 2011/08/09 09:03:11 (permalink)
    Well, I can attest to this.  I live off South Blvd in Charlotte NC, and the area is full of Mexican immigrants.  I swear they put a sign at the border that says come to Charlotte.  There are some of the best Mexican food and Taco trucks I have ever had in this area.  And I have been all around the country for what it's worth.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    Re:best place for authentic mexican....? 2011/08/09 10:55:52 (permalink)
    The OP should come to Texas. We have "authentic" Mexican food on every street corner.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1