best stromboli/calzone

Author
brookquarry
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 280
2004/11/11 16:28:53 (permalink)

best stromboli/calzone

I our neck of the woods (Lehigh Valley Pa) almost every pizza parlor also serves strombolis and/or calzones. as far as i can tell the two terms are interchangeable. Both are folded over pizza dough with the "topping" inside.

16 Replies Related Threads

brookquarry
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 280
    RE: best stromboli/calzone 2004/11/11 16:31:17 (permalink)
    Originally posted by brookquarry

I our neck of the woods (Lehigh Valley Pa) almost every pizza parlor also serves strombolis and/or calzones. as far as i can tell the two terms are interchangeable. Both are folded over pizza dough with the "topping" inside.I 'VE SEEN NO THREADS DEVOTED TO THESE FOODS, EVEN THOUGH IN OUR AREA THEY ARE UBIQUITOUS. Are they just a regional thing/ If not, what are they like in your area[What are the best ones you've had?/quote]
    forurlungsonly
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 92
    RE: best stromboli/calzone 2004/11/11 18:01:51 (permalink)
    In downstate New York (Orange County) where I'm originally from calzones are pizza dough filled with ricotta and mozzarella, no sauce, and whatever other fillings inside you like. I prefer broccoli or ham. They come with a cup of marinara on the side, which I never use.

I don't have as much stromboli experience, but it seems to me that they contain various meats--ham, pepperoni, etc--and some mozzarella maybe, but no ricotta and also no sauce.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: best stromboli/calzone 2004/11/11 19:04:11 (permalink)
    Dearfolk,
    We have a downtown place here, Little Italy, that makes succulent calzones and strombolis. My favorites are the meat stromboli (on those nights when I've been doing liquid (AHEM!) research, or a calzone with double sausage and extra garlic. Yum city! I just might go for one of the latter when the library closes tonight, upon self-suggestion.
    They serve marinara sauce with each of these on the side. Theirs is simmered overnight and is more deep pink than red. I've not noticed any sweetness in the stuff except what is natural. They know I love the stuff, so they usually give me an extra plastic thing of it.
    Fact is, sometimes I've gone in there and just ordered a plate of sausage and marinara sauce. There isn't a bit of grease in the sausage: it's absolutely the leanest I've ever eaten. I think it's made in the restaurant, just like everything else....
    Mouthwateringly, Ort. Carlton in Misty Athens, Georgia.
    P. S. Has anyone out there ever tried Schiavone's canned Marinara Sauce from Middletown, Ohio? It's only available in a few outlets in the Middletown-Hamilton-Cincinnati area. Reports, anyone?!?
    santacruz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 372
    RE: best stromboli/calzone 2004/11/12 15:33:39 (permalink)
    One of the things I miss most about not being on the Northeastern area is the great Stromboli's. In upstate New York's capital district they make some of the most succulent Stom's in the world. Usually with good bread dough stuffed in layers with Genoa Salami, Procuitto,Mozarella , Provolone, Pepparoni, peppers,olives etc. They are so good you don't even need sauce. The smell of a freshly baked Sromboli is one of the most beautiful things on this planet. All you need is the Stromboli, little salad and good glass of Red wine.....HEAVEN!

I have not found a decent Stromboli in Northern California yet. There is good Italian food out here, but some things like Stromboli and Braciole I have not found, the same as on the east coast. Does anyone know where to get good Stromboli and Braciole in the Bay Area?
    carlton pierre
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: best stromboli/calzone 2004/12/14 06:50:38 (permalink)
    I just had a wonderful calzone at a great little pizza place in Chattanooga called, Lupi's, on Broad St. Very nice atmosphere, nothing fancy for sure, but each table is different, also offer pizzas, bruschetta, and homemmade bread.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4583
    RE: best stromboli/calzone 2004/12/14 08:30:50 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

Has anyone out there ever tried Schiavone's canned Marinara Sauce from Middletown, Ohio? It's only available in a few outlets in the Middletown-Hamilton-Cincinnati area. Reports, anyone?!?
    Ort, I've seen this sauce on the shelves at some local groceries. I will try to remember to give it a try. I assume your question implies that this is a very good sauce.... :-)
    choosekey
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: best stromboli/calzone 2004/12/18 19:48:22 (permalink)
    Stromboli in San Jose. South on Monterey Rd by the railroad track almost to Almaden Rd.

Best Stromboli.
    santacruz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 372
    RE: best stromboli/calzone 2004/12/20 11:11:04 (permalink)
    Thanks Choosekey. I gonna check it out.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4583
    RE: best stromboli/calzone 2004/12/20 11:29:51 (permalink)
    Even after the recent change in ownership, BR?
    tsores
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 655
    RE: best stromboli/calzone 2004/12/20 20:26:19 (permalink)
    I have had a few calzones in my time, they are rare in the Chicago area. Too bad since I really do like them.
    carlton pierre
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: best stromboli/calzone 2005/03/11 19:45:53 (permalink)
    Calzones are rare in Knoxville as well. I'm trying a new pizza joint called Pizza Mia, that advertises calzones. I'm trying both. Is a calzone, just a pizza that has been folded or is there something more to it?
    joanie41
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 401
    RE: best stromboli/calzone 2005/03/11 20:32:19 (permalink)
    Reminds me of going to college in upstate NY (Potsdam) where we'd go out drinking, then hit "Sergi's Pizza" late at night for pizza rolls. Big huge rolled up pizza things...greasy as all get-out (probably from the pepperoni inside) and sooooo yummy after drinking. Considerably less tolerable when sober, as I recall. Mama Sergi would shuffle out with our orders, edemous ankles, wearing slippers...would basically drop the plates on the table and shuffle away. She probably hated us, but we kept her in business! Last I heard, the place is still in business, and if I ever get back up there, the first place I'd eat is Sergi's!!
    Mitchell25418
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 68
    RE: best stromboli/calzone 2005/03/17 11:04:06 (permalink)
    Great calzone in Bx Ny :
    Broadway Joe's Pizza W 242nd Steert / Broadway
    Chicken & Cheese Calzone
    Come with two mozerella/roccota(spelling?)
    Lucky Bishop
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: best stromboli/calzone 2005/03/17 14:19:18 (permalink)
    I've had calzones all across the country, but to this day, the best I have ever had are, somewhat surprisingly, at One Guy From Italy on University Avenue in Lubbock, Texas. The crust is perfection, and the fillings are many, varied and perfectly cooked. I lived on these in high school, and I am happy to report that they're as good now as they were then.
    saps
    • Total Posts : 1560
    RE: best stromboli/calzone 2005/03/17 14:24:24 (permalink)
    Freddy's Deli in Cicero, IL makes a killer stromboli with artichokes, red peppers, mozzarella, ground sausage and tomato sauce. They also bake several different kinds of breads, make their own focaccia, ciabatta, and several flavors of gelato. Well worth the stop, especially if you are on Rte 290 (Eisenhower Expy) near Chicago.

Saps
    hatteras04
    • Total Posts : 1092
    RE: best stromboli/calzone 2005/03/18 09:21:23 (permalink)
    In Bloomington, IN (where March Madness used to mean something)you can find a totally unique take on the stromboli. The two best examples are at Nick's English Hut and Cafe Pizzeria both on Kirkwood Ave just off of the IU campus. There if you order a stromboli, what you get is a toasted sub that is stuffed full of very small pieces of crumbled sausage, cheese, sauce and sliced onions. It is always served with bread and butter pickles on the side. I normally do not like sweet pickles but they are the perfect match with this sandwich. I've never been anywhere else where this type of stromboli was available so I try to get one every time I am back in town. You must try one if you ever go through there.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1