big bob gibson's white chicken

Author
curried bluebonnet
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 108
2006/04/19 23:19:07 (permalink)

big bob gibson's white chicken

I saw a bit on this place on the food network--anyone know anything about it? I'm new here, so if it's already been mentioned I'm sorry. Any approximate recipes to try? It looks really different and since we grill 3 or 4 nights a week here in Tx (already in the 90's and it's not even May)--just looking for something new.

29 Replies Related Threads

Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: big bob gibson's white chicken 2006/04/19 23:41:15 (permalink)
    C. B.,
    Big Bob Gibson's BBQ is in Decatur, Alabama. The white sauce (Bob's version probably contains mayonnaise - or, more likely, salad dressing - because it is pronouncedly sweet) is a local peculiarity thereabouts.
    I've heard rumors of a horseradish-based white sauce somewhere in South Alabama - maybe near Troy - for several years, but have never been able to substantiate it.
    It makes me wonder how this sauce would taste with livermush....
    Mushing Along, Ort. Carlton in Athens, Georgia.
    P. S. You're new, so I'll explain... I'm noted here for making endless livermush jokes. It is the "national food" of North Carolina just like scrapple is of Pennsylvania or lutefisk and lefse is in Mennesota (ya betcha).
    nvb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 468
    RE: big bob gibson's white chicken 2006/04/20 09:11:56 (permalink)
    Try this thread I started a while back.

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9219
    pcdiva
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 591
    RE: big bob gibson's white chicken 2006/04/20 09:21:56 (permalink)
    White BBQ sauce is delicious! It is based on Miracle Whip, vinegar, black pepper, and other assorted seasonings I can't rememeber off the top of my head. Of course since I was born in Huntsville, AL, I may be just a tad prejudiced. It is great on hushpuppies & fried seafood as well.

The best thing about North AL BBQ is they realize that the 'Que is the meat and the sauce should be ON THE SIDE!!!!
    I have been forever spoiled by this and am always disappointed when I get some beautifully prepared meat that has been slathered with sauce by the kitchen. Or some run of the mill stuff they think they can "save" with the sauce.

Having never experienced livermush, I can't say how that pairing would taste... (can't say I'm eager to find out either)

Have a great day all!
    Alice
    Pwingsx
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2170
    RE: big bob gibson's white chicken 2006/04/20 17:05:26 (permalink)
    Doesn't sound like bbq sauce to me. Add a little sugar, thin it with milk and it's the salad dressing I use on coleslaw.
    pcdiva
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 591
    RE: big bob gibson's white chicken 2006/04/20 17:51:50 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Pwingsx

Doesn't sound like bbq sauce to me. Add a little sugar, thin it with milk and it's the salad dressing I use on coleslaw.

It is not really sweet since it has a good bit of pepper and vinegar in it. But man is it good on hushpuppies & BBQ chicken! I guess it's one of those Mom things - Mom likes it, so kids like it! The cole slaw in the area doesn't really have mayo in it, it is more a vinaigrette dressing over very finely chopped cabbage. The slaw is kind of bland compared to the white sauce in fact.
    shortchef
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 624
    RE: big bob gibson's white chicken 2006/04/21 10:44:12 (permalink)
    Nobody really gave Bluebonnet an "official" recipe for this. I'm waiting, too. Would like to try it. Eh?
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3751
    RE: big bob gibson's white chicken 2006/04/21 11:20:50 (permalink)
    Here is a recipe for it that I found on Food Network.

1/2 cup mayonnaise
    1/4 cup vinegar
    1/2 teaspoon prepared horseradish
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
    2 tablespoons apple cider

Combine all ingredients in bowl and mix well.
    Pwingsx
    RE: big bob gibson's white chicken 2006/04/21 15:25:48 (permalink)
    Even the recipe above, except for the horseradish, is very very similar to my coleslaw dressing. Maybe I should give it a shot on chicken, however. It is just for basting or marinading?
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    RE: big bob gibson's white chicken 2006/04/22 10:11:16 (permalink)
    I will always think of a different"Big Bob Gibson" when I hear the name.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    RE: big bob gibson's white chicken 2006/04/23 20:38:44 (permalink)
    Dearfolk,
    Now it's easy for me to see how somebody down Pike County, Alabama ways could have permuted the white BBQ sauce recipe into something more spicy. I would have expected to have found this hotter version in Cullman (settled by Germans) rather than someplace like Troy, but odd things often crop up where you least expect them... like the German Swiss communities of Gruetli and Laager in Eastern Tennessee and the Italian Presbyterians of Valdese, North Carolina.
    It's a real cryin' shame that the South never had an influx of Slavs (except in Texas): I can only imagine such possible delights as Vidalia onion pierogis, hot link sausage goulash, and halupkies stuffed with livermush. Hmmm... maybe some of this ought to go in the novel I'm slowly working on... but it would mostly be served at out-of-the-way Greek-run diners.
    Dreaming Again, Ort. Carlton in Amazing Athens, Georgia.
    curried bluebonnet
    Cheeseburger
    RE: big bob gibson's white chicken 2006/04/24 23:30:24 (permalink)
    Slick--WOW-thanks--great info --I'll have to try those. And Ort--I love middle eastern and greek cuisines, use their spices when grilling , but what the H is livermush? Have a friend here in the neighborhood whose husband is from Lebanon and they bring back carry out from Mary's in Houston--kibbe, meat pies, lentil/rice--YUMbut sorry, off topic. Thanks for those who responded--I do not get online as much as I'd like, as well as not out to eat at interesting places as I'd like, but you guys are great. Just a thought--I opened up my frig tonight and saw 2 boxes of NIGHTCRAWLERS(big 'ol ugly earthworms) the boys have been fishing with--should I start a new thread--what is the weirdest thing in your frig/freezer right now?--anybody?
    SassyGritsAL
    • Total Posts : 1089
    RE: big bob gibson's white chicken 2006/04/28 14:53:57 (permalink)
    White sauce is wonderful. Dip your hushpuppies in it and your in heaven. Also great on barbeque chicken. Gibson's white sauce is OK, but to me the best white sauce is served at Greenbriers (2 miles off I-565), Huntsville, AL, Greenbrier exit. There is a Greenbriers you can see from the Interstate spur, but drive a little further to what we call "Old Greenbriers" and you will not be disappointed. We are not claiming that white sauce is a true barbeque sauce, but it's got to be called something, so hence the name "White Sauce". Greenbriers will sell you their sauce by the cup, pint, etc. You can buy Gibson's white sauce in grocery stores here, but it's really not that good. When I make it at home, I just use mayo, lots of pepper, and vinegar. Put in a jar and shake it up. Believe me white sauce tastes nothing like coleslaw mix.
    sauceman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 184
    RE: big bob gibson's white chicken 2006/04/28 15:36:47 (permalink)
    I spotted a bottle of Big Bob Gibson's white sauce on the shelf of a Food City grocery store in Southwest Virginia a few weeks back. But I prefer the version served by our own Dixie Barbecue, here in Johnson City. It's thicker and adheres better to the meat. The topic of white barbecue sauce came up last night in a fancy restaurant in Blowing Rock, North Carolina, that I'm covering for a magazine. The owner's a Ph.D. biochemist from Huntsville, Alabama, and he, too, has created a white sauce. He serves it on a sandwich of hickory-smoked chicken breast at lunchtime, with fried green tomatoes on top. The name of the place is the Storie Street Grille.

Fred Sauceman
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    RE: big bob gibson's white chicken 2006/04/30 19:45:12 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by sauceman
    I spotted a bottle of Big Bob Gibson's white sauce on the shelf of a Food City grocery store in Southwest Virginia a few weeks back. But I prefer the version served by our own Dixie Barbecue, here in Johnson City. It's thicker and adheres better to the meat. The topic of white barbecue sauce came up last night in a fancy restaurant in Blowing Rock, North Carolina, that I'm covering for a magazine. The owner's a Ph.D. biochemist from Huntsville, Alabama, and he, too, has created a white sauce. He serves it on a sandwich of hickory-smoked chicken breast at lunchtime, with fried green tomatoes on top. The name of the place is the Storie Street Grille. Fred Sauceman

Fred,
    Welcome back!! And congratulations on the book: I want a copy! Do I order it from Mercer University Press myself, or should I get my local independent bookstore to do it for me?
    Salutorially, Ort. Carlton in Amazing Athens, Georgia.
    P. S. I can't help but wonder what that white sauce would taste like on livermush... s'pose we can get your friend in Blowing Rock to give that one a try for us?
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    RE: big bob gibson's white chicken 2006/04/30 20:00:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by curried bluebonnet
    Ort--I love middle eastern and greek cuisines, use their spices when grilling , but what the H is livermush?

Curried,
    Livermush (sometimes it's spelled "liver mush") is a breakfast-type food, similar to scrapple or goetta, commonly found from here in Northeast Georgia up to Southern Central Virginia. It appears most commonly in Piedmont areas of The Carolinas. The ingredients vary slightly, but the usual ones are pork liver, corn meal, and spices. A variation on it is denser and called liver pudding to differentiate.
    In lower South Carolina, where rice is a main staple of virtually everything, liver pudding contains rice as an adjunct rather than corn meal.
    Livermush is already cooked, so browning it in a skillet for serving with eggs is all the preparation it needs. It is also good either grilled or straight off the loaf as a sandwich food.
    Other applications of livermush cuisine have been attempted, some satisfactorily and others not so mush so (oops)... there is a pizzaria in (I believe it is) North Wilkesboro, North Carolina that makes a hot livermush pizza that has become a local favorite: a textbook salesman told me about it and tried it, but he couldn't remember whether it was there or in Elkin or Mount Airy or where... up thataway someplace. (Maybe you can Google that one up.)
    Since all the manufacturers of the products are regional and local sausage makers, you'd have to do quite a bit of checking around the net before you uncover much (I got it right this time!) information. Harvin's in Sumter, S. C. has a nice website; others you might try are Jamison's on Lawyers Road in Charlotte; Mack's Country Livermush or Jenkins Foods, both in Shelby; and Neese Sausage Co. in Greensboro (all in N. C.)... these are its larger makers; other smaller sausage companies turn it out on a more limited (or even sporadic) basis, sometimes distributing only to one county or even just one town.
    Thank you very mush for asking.
    Not Pudding You On, Ort. Carlton in Lovely Athens, Georgia.
    V960
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: big bob gibson's white chicken 2006/05/02 09:53:34 (permalink)
    Being from (born, raised and live there) piedmont NC I am numbeer one horrified at calling something w/ mayo in it a BBQ sauce and the discussion of livermush. Mayo on Q? We just won't go there but i do however love RO's slaw/sauce (bought a pint yesterday while traveling through Gastonia).

I have probably fried thousands of pounds of livermush in my life (very popular breakfast food at fairs and streeet fairs, also w/ my kids and dogs) but have tasted it once. We usually make forty to fifty pounds a year from our pigs...fifteen pound liver per pig, ten pounds of corn meal and two pigs result in a whole lot of nasty stuff.

NC thing but not for me. I just don't get it.
    curried bluebonnet
    Cheeseburger
    RE: big bob gibson's white chicken 2006/05/02 23:03:40 (permalink)
    Ort.--thanks for the mushy info. It sounds very, uh, regionally interesting. Although as a native St. Louisan, my love for St. Louis style pizza(thin cracker crust, provel cheese) may sound to many uh, very regionally interesting, too. But seriously, I would definitely try some livermush, given the opportunity--but, can I put some hot sauce on it?
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    RE: big bob gibson's white chicken 2006/05/03 22:31:26 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by curried bluebonnet
    Ort.--thanks for the mushy info. It sounds very, uh, regionally interesting. Although as a native St. Louisan, my love for St. Louis style pizza(thin cracker crust, provel cheese) may sound to many uh, very regionally interesting, too. But seriously, I would definitely try some livermush, given the opportunity--but, can I put some hot sauce on it?

Curried,
    Absolutely! Some North Carolineans think that Texas Pete Hot Sauce (from Greensboro, N. C.) was invented to perk up livermush. Although that isn't the case, the two flavors do mush perfectly.... I mean "mesh"!
    Crunch on some toasted ravioli (if you only want one, then, have a raviolus!) and think of me... I've never tried that, and always wanted to.
    Pwingsx
    RE: big bob gibson's white chicken 2006/05/04 15:08:25 (permalink)
    Ort! Where's your signature? How are we to know what you're thinking when you're posting? " />
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    RE: big bob gibson's white chicken 2006/05/04 18:50:12 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Pwingsx
    Ort! Where's your signature? How are we to know what you're thinking when you're posting? " />

Pwingsx,
    Thinking? Probably nothing importa
    curried bluebonnet
    Cheeseburger
    RE: big bob gibson's white chicken 2006/05/10 00:13:51 (permalink)
    Ort--I would love to sit down with you and have a livermush and toasted rav meal, snack, whatever you would call it, hot sauce and all--so Texas Pete isn'tmade in TX, well waht do yaou know. What types of beverages would you suggest for the livermush? I would like a nice red wine with the ravs, I tend to like Aussies, (for inexpensive ones) , how about you? Of course a frosty brewski wouldn't be out of line either:)
    yuppicide
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 233
    RE: big bob gibson's white chicken 2009/05/26 17:00:36 (permalink)
    Yep. I dug up an old thread.

I've been looking around at recipes for Big Bob Gibson's White Sauce. It seems every website has a different recipe. Here one person calls for Miracle Whip.

I saw a thing on Food Network last night and they showed the employee from Big Bob's making the white sauce and he gave the exact amount of ingredients. No sugar or Miracle Whip.

I wrote it down at home if anyone wants to make it I'll get it. I'm leaving work now to go get some ingredients. Although I'm not BBQ'ing with it. I have other plans. Will let you know how it turned out.
    the grillman
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 636
    RE: big bob gibson's white chicken 2009/05/26 17:19:37 (permalink)
    I've heard of this mayonaisse based barbecue sauce.  Sounds a little wierd, but I might have to try it.

My favorite non-traditional barbecue approach to chicken is to apply the Cornell method.  Excellent stuff.
    yuppicide
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 233
    RE: big bob gibson's white chicken 2009/05/26 19:01:24 (permalink)
    Here's the recipe taken directly from Food Network on a TV show last night. I just made it right now and only made half of what it calls for. It's very good. It would be great in egg salad or potato salad, but it's a little watery. So far I've mixed in hard boiled eggs with it to make "pickled eggs". We'll see how they come out in a few days.

The taste is obviously vinergary and is on par with other hot sauces of it's type. It doesn't have a lot of heat, but it's the vinegar that gets you.

1 gallon mayo
    1 quart white vinegar
    1 pint apple juice
    3 tbsp lemon juice
    3 tbsp prepared horseradish
    3 tbsp ground black pepper
    2 tsp red pepper
    2 tbsp salt

Blend for 2 minutes. Done.

Now, having rewinded the TV show a few times to make sure I got it right there is one thing I should note. He did not specify how much black pepper. I looked at the other stuff he put in and figure it's about 3 tbsp, not only because the three ingredients that came before it were 3 tbsp, but because it looked like the amount of 3 tbsp.

Once you blend it it becomes a lot smoother. Really seems to mix well. I don't know how it keeps in the fridge since I only made it maybe 20 mins ago.

I will come back and let you know how the pickled eggs come out. Traditionally you use vinegar, beets, onions, pickling spices, and you boil that on the stove. I called my Mom to see what she thinks a non-hot mix would do. She thinks it will still work, just might take a little longer to pickle.
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    RE: big bob gibson's white chicken 2009/05/26 20:37:12 (permalink)
    Now to cut that down for a meal for 2. :~)
    Joe
    caver
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 104
    RE: big bob gibson's white chicken 2009/05/27 03:00:08 (permalink)
    I've had the white sauce at the BBQ joint in Nashville next to the Parthenon.  A lot of folks at work were crazy about it, I just remember I didn't care for it at all.
    stricken_detective
    • Total Posts : 2346
    RE: big bob gibson's white chicken 2009/05/27 13:49:04 (permalink)
    Brad_Olson made some for the WSM Smoke Day Party & it was awesome on the smoked pulled beef!!! :)
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15321
    RE: big bob gibson's white chicken 2009/05/27 14:54:31 (permalink)
    IMHO The Gibson White BBQ Sauce is OK for Chicken, but I did not care for it on Pork or Brisket. We have tried it several times at his Decatur Store on our trips South!  Good BBQ with the more traditional sauces available !
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15321
    RE: big bob gibson's white chicken 2009/05/27 14:57:40 (permalink)
    IMHO the Gibson White BBQ Sauce is OK for Chicken, but I don't care much for it on Pork or Brisket. BBG does some good BBQ and often stop in decatur when in the area, but the White sauce is not one we use !!  He makes other 'more traditional' sauces that we like better.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1