boiled peanuts

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
bumpy9
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
2004/02/22 10:58:17 (permalink)

boiled peanuts

hello from south carolina. was surfing google for peanutman stories got here. had a restaurant in sc was struggling to make payroll and then 9/11 2001 business dropped 50%. I lasted about 2 months before ALL the money was gone.
2002 I managed to burn down my mobile home not real long after I could no longer afford the insurance drafts. I did have a 5' X 8' trailer that didn't catch fire. I converted this into a 'boiled Peanut" roadside cart.
Now, things are pretty good considering I no longer work 100 hours a week.. and not much stress reading the paper sitting outside getting some sun and meeting people who just need some 'goobers' not complaining that a wattress didn't warm their coffee fast enough or checking incoming cases of foods to make sure they weren't shorted.
Even my sister keeps asking me if she can 'work' the cart on saturdays because it fun and she can catch up on her reading. thats her in the picture at thepeanutman.com
I don't see riches anywhere in the near future, but then maybe it was time to slow down. Who knows, I have more time to think, and I'm getting ideas. Just hope it don't rain this weekend.

31 Replies Related Threads

Bill B.
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 322
    RE: boiled peanuts 2004/02/22 16:25:17 (permalink)
    Interesting Web site, Peanutman. I'll have to order some.

However, you claim on there that peanuts have "zero fat." I don't think that's quite right, do you?
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13524
    RE: boiled peanuts 2004/02/22 18:29:17 (permalink)
    What a neat way to sneak a commercial venture into a web site.

I love boiled peanut's. In East TN they are available much cheaper than the individual's personal web site. I cannot compare the quality as I have only had what is locally available. I have talked with the individual,s that sell them at roadside and they indicate that they get their peanuts from Georgia. They boil them several different ways with either being hot, onion, garlic and Cajun.

Several folks on this web site have boiled their own and in fact there is a thread on this very subject.

I suggest the originator of this thread talk to Mr. Stern before he tries to make it a commercial thread.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: boiled peanuts 2004/02/23 09:15:24 (permalink)
    Wish you the best of luck there! Always enjoy reading a story about Roadfood on Wheels!
    howard8
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 355
    RE: boiled peanuts 2004/02/23 14:58:17 (permalink)
    Bumpy,
    Did u compose that jingle on the web site? Its such a damn catchy tune I came seem to stop humming it and stomping my feet. And I do them both at the same time.
    Ms. Teacher
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: boiled peanuts 2004/03/13 00:17:57 (permalink)
    I had never heard of boiled peanuts until I had a student (4th grade) from Georgia. The family was going back to Georgia for Christmas, and promised to bring me a regional treat...what I heard as "balled peanuts."

I couldn't imagine what it would be like, and laughed when they brought back cans of boiled peanuts. I loved them! I've never seen them for sale here in Oklahoma.
    angelfood
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 204
    RE: boiled peanuts 2004/03/13 10:21:34 (permalink)
    Cans?????
    Cakes
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 562
    RE: boiled peanuts 2004/03/13 10:42:10 (permalink)
    Yeah, cans. They are not bad but the ones I have had are hard to get out of the shell.

Cakes
    angelfood
    Cheeseburger
    RE: boiled peanuts 2004/03/13 10:57:55 (permalink)
    I like to use the big peanuts you can get at the farmer's market in Savannah. Salt the water to a brine, add the peanuts, bring to a boil and simmer until desired texture is reached. I tend to like mine on the firm side rather than mushy. Then let the peanuts soak in the water with the heat off until they sink. Sometimes longer as I like the saltiness to kick in. They freeze well and the salt taste will intensify after freezing.

The ones in the cans are small and mushy and, as Cakes said, hard to get out of the shell.

My surprise was that someone from GA brought her canned peanuts when the better ones are available everywhere. Isn't GA the peanut capital?

No offense intended. Just surprised dismay. LOL.
    Alexander
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 164
    RE: boiled peanuts 2004/03/16 13:04:09 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ms. Teacher

I had never heard of boiled peanuts until I had a student (4th grade) from Georgia. The family was going back to Georgia for Christmas, and promised to bring me a regional treat...what I heard as "balled peanuts."

I couldn't imagine what it would be like, and laughed when they brought back cans of boiled peanuts. I loved them! I've never seen them for sale here in Oklahoma.

"Balled" peanuts is the correct regional pronunciation. Also correct is the slurred version "bol'peanuts," as in "gimme a baguh bol'peanuts." The "l" in "bol'" is suppressed.

I've never seen or heard of them in a can - they need to be eaten right out of the pot or very soon after.

They can also be cooked in a pressure cooker. Use enough salt and water,and, IIRC, cook them at 10 pounds for about 25 minutes, When you uncover them, sample them every few minutes until they taste salty enough, and then drain them but do not rinse. It's been a while since I cooked them, so my time may be off.
    Rapunzll
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 314
    RE: boiled peanuts 2004/03/19 14:00:16 (permalink)
    I've wondered about boiled peanuts since I vacationed in TN a few years ago and saw a guy selling them along the road. I didn't stop though. If I did, I'd be able to answer my questions. LOL Are they boiled in the shell? What would you compare them to?

We used to boil peanuts in oil when I lived overseas. Cashews too.
    angelfood
    Cheeseburger
    RE: boiled peanuts 2004/03/19 14:04:35 (permalink)
    Yes, they are boiled in the shell. I can't really think of anything off the top of my head to compare. They can be an aquired taste, especially if they've been cooked to a mushy texture.
    Rusty246
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2414
    RE: boiled peanuts 2004/03/19 16:24:21 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rapunzll

I've wondered about boiled peanuts since I vacationed in TN a few years ago and saw a guy selling them along the road. I didn't stop though. If I did, I'd be able to answer my questions. LOL Are they boiled in the shell? What would you compare them to?

We used to boil peanuts in oil when I lived overseas. Cashews too.

Some people may compare them to a bean of sorts, or peas...not english though.
    emsmom
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: boiled peanuts 2004/08/11 12:58:36 (permalink)
    We are going to Myrtle Beach next week . I can't wait to get me a bag of boiled peanuts. I can make them at home in the Fall when I can get green peanuts but for right now , I'll settle for a bag of them at one of the roadside stands near Myrtle Beach.
    shanklemsw
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 169
    RE: boiled peanuts 2004/08/11 17:24:44 (permalink)
    Peanutman you better look out! Strap down that trailer. Two storms, Bonnie and Charley (we're calling them Bonnie and Clyde) are heding up the coast.

I love my balled peanuts and eat them all the time. They are served as an appetizer at the Wreck here in Mt Pleasant. YUM
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13524
    RE: boiled peanuts 2004/08/12 16:24:00 (permalink)
    There have been several other threads regarding boiled peanuts and mainly one posted by the Sundancer, however regardless, it is somewhat unimportant. Boiled peanuts are a specail thing to be enjoyed by all.

In East Tennessee, Carolinas and Georgia, I have seen them offered boiled in jalopenea, salt, and cajun spices. I personally enjoy them any of the ways offered.

Please review other threads and you will find all types of opportunities to enjoy this wonderful treat.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    speechpeach
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 239
    RE: boiled peanuts 2004/08/14 11:50:34 (permalink)
    I enjoy boiled peanuts and try to stop and get them if I see them for sale. Canned ones are not really good, but will do in a crunch. I have a friend who informed me that her family freezes them, and then eats them semi-frozen when they get the urge to eat some. This seems a bit odd to me, but then I like them warm and almost mushy.

Laurie
    rmcielwain
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 618
    RE: boiled peanuts 2004/08/14 13:10:16 (permalink)

There's a farm outside Geneva, Alabama, that is selling 20 lb.
    bags of green peanuts for $12: boil now, and then freeze some for
    later so you can have them year-round [|)]
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: boiled peanuts 2004/08/14 13:57:14 (permalink)
    Haven't had boiled peanuts in years, but when I worked at the U of FL hospital in Gainesville decades ago, some old cracker used to come through the hospital selling them and everybody would load up because they were such a great snack about 4 AM.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: boiled peanuts 2004/08/15 10:48:51 (permalink)
    What is a Boiled Peanut?
    (besides bein' the best dang snack there is!)

Boiled peanuts are RAW peanuts that are boiled in salt water for a very long time. The best tasting ones are made from Green Peanuts.

What is a Green Peanut?

A green peanut is a peanut fresh from the ground that hasn't dried out. They're only available during harvest time - most boiled peanuts are made from Raw Peanuts which are dried so they can be stored longer.

How to Freeze Green Peanuts
    Select fully mature peanuts; thoroughly clean and wash. A mild detergent may be used for washing. Rinse the peanuts in clear water. Water blanch peanuts in boiling water 10 minutes. Drain and cool. Package in freezer containers. Seal and freeze.

How to Cook em'

Boiled Peanuts 4 pounds green (or Raw) peanuts in shell
    6 quarts water
    6-60 tablespoons salt
    (I like em Salty!)
    (Be sure to have a pitcher of sweet tea ready, cause they'll make ya thristy!) (HA!!! plenty of COLD BEER>>>> ;)

Select and wash peanuts. Place in a large kettle with water and salt. Cover, bring to a boil and boil slowly for 1-1/2 to 2 hours. Water should be briny. More water and salt may be added during cooking if necessary. Test for doneness. Peanuts should be soft inside, but not mushy. Allow to soak for 30 minutes. Drain. Serves 6.

Peanuts may be frozen in plastic bags after cooling. To reheat, place in salted water, bring to a boil, drain and enjoy!

UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: boiled peanuts 2004/08/15 14:42:48 (permalink)
    Good looking out Adjudicator! One to cut and paste into my recipe collection! Thanks!!
    Pogo
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 269
    RE: boiled peanuts 2004/08/17 14:52:54 (permalink)
    HA!

Everyone should try boiled goobers! (southern for peanut).

Just across the road from where I live a guy sets up a neat little trailer and sells boiled peanuts, Lum's style hotdogs, fresh 'maters, and watermelons. He has the best Cajun boiled peanuts I have ever had, not too salty, not too mushy.... I guess you could call them..."Al Dente"

For those of you that live in the "hinterlands" and cannot readily obtain boiled goobers, I suggest Roddenberry's Brand boiled peanuts in the can. Just dump in a bowl and microwave.

Now, darn ya, I'm going over to "Tim the Peanut Man's" wagon to get me some goobers.
    Rusty246
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2414
    RE: boiled peanuts 2004/08/17 15:11:13 (permalink)
    I may have posted this before...when I do cajun peanuts, I substitute the salt(I like my peanuts salty as well but this stuff is loaded) for 1 bag of Zatarains Shrimp and crab boil(1 bag per 5 -8 lbs nuts, the powder NOT the "boil in bag"), and add exta crushed red pepper. Boil according to Adjudicator instructions, I use the same method pretty much. My father has been known to add fresh sliced jalapenos.
    starrleicht
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 10
    RE: boiled peanuts 2004/08/20 10:56:38 (permalink)
    Love your site, peanutman and a sincere congrats on your business. That sounds awesome! I admire ingenuity and you certainly have shown that! Keep it up!
    emsmom
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: boiled peanuts 2004/08/24 09:02:13 (permalink)
    We just returned from Myrtle Beach last night. Stopped in Aynor on the way home and bought sweet potatoes and boiled peanuts. The peanuts sure were good and I am looking forward to the sweet potatoes.
    Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3778
    RE: boiled peanuts 2004/08/25 09:55:20 (permalink)
    There's a guy who parks a cart in front of the Barnyard flea market on US 1 between Columbia and Lexington (SC) on Friday afternoons from about noon to 6, and he sells both kinds--the dried-and-boiled and the fresher (?) kind. And will take the time to explain to you the difference and let you try both before you buy. I always forget what kind the Mrs. wants and have to get a small bag of both.
    PMc
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: boiled peanuts 2004/08/26 14:15:27 (permalink)
    You can get canned boiled peanuts in Oklahoma.....at Mason's Pecan and Peanut house on Highway 9 just south of Norman off I-35. The canned ones are always small, so I prefer to buy them from vendors when I go home to North Florida and freeze them. They freeze and thaw in excellent condition! It's much better if you can buy fresh green peanuts and cook them at home. Green means right out of the ground... not the color. That way you can control the salt, or add extra flavoring. But...when in Oklahoma you get what you can get!
    jameses
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: boiled peanuts 2008/04/04 20:19:13 (permalink)
    Bumpy9
    I am up here in Norfolk Va. There are not any vendors on corners selling boiled peanuts like my home in Summerville. Where can I find plans to build my own boiled peanut cart/ Commercial one don't seem to reaily away.
    /s/ Jim sesemaj@cox.net
    uncledaveyo
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 599
    RE: boiled peanuts 2008/04/04 20:29:04 (permalink)
    Boiled peanuts are also incredibly popular in Hawaii, due to their prevelance in Asia as well.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8109
    RE: boiled peanuts 2008/04/13 15:58:05 (permalink)
    I'd be an everyday customer if you could set up in Los Angeles. I love those things!

I can get an Asian variety in the Ranch 99 store, but they're already packaged and I just think... Baaaaaaad!

Anyway to make them at home with roasted, salted peanuts in the shell?
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1