boiled peanuts

Author
lance
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
2004/03/24 06:40:12 (permalink)

boiled peanuts

As someone who works for the goverment and travel's the roads a lot, I have found out that peanut taste, quality and size varies from state to state.

In the south there is no shortage of peanuts or vendors. However, when traveling to the west coast I found only laff's and strange looks when asking around about boiled peanuts.

This lead me to start buying from website's and having them shipped to where I was going to be. This also proved to be a task for I could tell that most were just the middle-man and others put little time into preparing their mix of regular or cajun flavored peanuts, and I will tell you this the word JUMBO must have a new meaning in every county ( lol ).

I am going to make a shameless plug to a site that not only offers GREAT TASTING peanuts, but has the quality and service that is 2nd to none. I welcome all feedback on other websites.

www.southernpeanut.com

Thank you for your time --- LANCE

22 Replies Related Threads

angelfood
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 204
    RE: boiled peanuts 2004/03/24 08:19:47 (permalink)
    Is it just a coincidence that both you and the owner of this domain are in Jacksonville? Just curious.
    lance
    Junior Burger
    RE: boiled peanuts 2004/03/24 22:10:09 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by angelfood

Is it just a coincidence that both you and the owner of this domain are in Jacksonville? Just curious.

I Have just moved to Jacksonville, Fl. from Sneads, Fl. which is 3 1/2 hours away from Jacksonville. I didn't even give it any thought, but thank you for bringing it up. I am going to try and find the time one day to go buy and visit with them and then report back everything I see.

Thank You -- Lance
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: boiled peanuts 2004/03/24 23:24:06 (permalink)
    Lance,
    We've had some people promote their own websites here, so that's what Angelfood's question was about. You don't give that impression; we's just checking a tad (to use a good Southernism).
    I even know where Sneads is - on U. S. 90 over by Chattahoochee. I've got kin in Marianna, but I've never met them.
    The best boiled peanuts I ever had came from somewhere along GA. 15 near Sandersville, Georgia. They weren't at all mushy.
    Until the great Dr. George Washington Carver came along, the peanut was considered useless for humans and used for animal food and ground cover. As a result, several mutant types sprang up in the wild, including one such variety a friend of mine grows that are so huge that you nearly about have to use a broad axe to cut one open.
    The best sign I ever saw was also along GA. 15 - it read "BOLIED P=NUT'S". It was 2:30 A. M., or I would have stopped and bought some.
    Gooberically, Ort. Carlton in Boiled-Peanutless Athens, Georgia.
    angelfood
    Cheeseburger
    RE: boiled peanuts 2004/03/25 08:21:19 (permalink)
    Lance,
    Here's a link to a thread that started out as a promo and actually ended being a pretty fine conversation:
    http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2715

Ort., where can I find some of those big peanuts? I love cooking the big ones. The bigger, the better.
    lance
    Junior Burger
    RE: boiled peanuts 2004/03/25 13:10:11 (permalink)

I wasn't even a TAD upset with the reply, heck if I owned that site I would be dirt road poor because I would eat all of the peanuts. You my friend are correct on the location of Sneads,Fl -, the bridge that leads to Chatahoochee is also the time zone change line.

As far as the large peanuts (raw) i'm not sure if southernpeanut sells them but I will tell you ( and everyone else ) that during one of my regular boiled peanut orders I asked for a sample of the cajun and received a 5# bag of both regular and cajun at no extra charge, so it wouldn't hurt to ask them.

Thank You - LANCE
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5422
    RE: boiled peanuts 2004/03/29 23:35:32 (permalink)
    Boy, these things sure aren't peanuts in the wallet, are they. Over 7$ per pound.
    Product ID: 0001
    Product Name: 1 bag ---------- Southern Style Boiled Peanuts (5 lbs.each) $36.90

Ok, being a Calif. boy, how do boiled peanuts differ from the salted dry shell one that you buy in the bag? I can buy a 5lb bag of these, either salted or un-salted at Costco for less then 10 bucks. I usually buy several bags a year and put them out for the wild birds and the squirrels and PP's parrott's.
    Alexander
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 164
    RE: boiled peanuts 2004/03/31 07:40:07 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MikeSh

Boy, these things sure aren't peanuts in the wallet, are they. Over 7$ per pound.
    Product Name: 1 bag ---------- Southern Style Boiled Peanuts (5 lbs.each) $36.90

Ok, being a Calif. boy, how do boiled peanuts differ from the salted dry shell one that you buy in the bag? I can buy a 5lb bag of these, either salted or un-salted at Costco for less then 10 bucks. I usually buy several bags a year and put them out for the wild birds and the squirrels and PP's parrott's.

Boiled peanuts are just that - fresh, raw peanuts that are boiled in pretty heavily salted water for about 3 hours. They are cooled down, bagged, and sold at roadside stands, baseball and other sports games, etc. I've never heard of their being shipped anywhere nor have I ever seen them in supermarkets. I was appalled the other day to attend a softball game (central SC) and find that the concession stand (run by the game-mothers) had substituted sunflower seeds for the boiled peanuts. There was a great deal of grumbling, so I don't think they'll do it again.

If you put out bags of boiled peanuts anywhere in the south, it's highly doubtful that the wild birds, squirrels, etc. would beat the rest of us to the peanuts.

They are absolutely nothing like dryshell peanuts.
    angelfood
    Cheeseburger
    RE: boiled peanuts 2004/03/31 09:00:24 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Alexander

quote:

Boiled peanuts are just that - fresh, raw peanuts that are boiled in pretty heavily salted water for about 3 hours. They are cooled down, bagged, and sold at roadside stands, baseball and other sports games, etc. I've never heard of their being shipped anywhere nor have I ever seen them in supermarkets. I was appalled the other day to attend a softball game (central SC) and find that the concession stand (run by the game-mothers) had substituted sunflower seeds for the boiled peanuts. There was a great deal of grumbling, so I don't think they'll do it again.

If you put out bags of boiled peanuts anywhere in the south, it's highly doubtful that the wild birds, squirrels, etc. would beat the rest of us to the peanuts.

Just to clarify for those learning, the kind you boil are called "green peanuts" where I am and are sort of moist on the inside; and they aren't really meant to be eaten, although I must confess I do, unless they've been cooked. Here, "raw peanuts" have been dried and are meant to be eaten that way. Alexander please chime in if you have a better way of explaining my explanation. LOL.
    Alexander
    Cheeseburger
    RE: boiled peanuts 2004/03/31 10:18:49 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

quote:

Just to clarify for those learning, the kind you boil are called "green peanuts" where I am and are sort of moist on the inside; and they aren't really meant to be eaten, although I must confess I do, unless they've been cooked. Here, "raw peanuts" have been dried and are meant to be eaten that way. Alexander please chime in if you have a better way of explaining my explanation. LOL.

No, I think your explanation is right on the mark. The actual reason for drying the "raw peanuts" is storage and marketing. You can actually boil the raw as well as the green, but while good, they aren't quite as good.

They have a peanut festival in Pelion, SC during the weekend of the 4th of July - oceans of boiled peanuts.
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5422
    RE: boiled peanuts 2004/03/31 13:02:02 (permalink)
    I was at Costco last night doing some shopping and bougt a 5 lb bag of dry roasted, unsalted, peanuts for 4.59. I'm guessing that they take the raw green peanuts and put them through an oven. When I buy canned peanuts (Planters) I always look for the ones that don't say dry roasted. I prefer the oily ones.

I believe that I've seen some roadside stands in No. Va advertising boiled peanuts. I'll guess I'll have to stop and try some.

MikeS
    lance
    Junior Burger
    RE: boiled peanuts 2004/04/01 00:04:16 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

No, I think your explanation is right on the mark. The actual reason for drying the "raw peanuts" is storage and marketing. You can actually boil the raw as well as the green, but while good, they aren't quite as good.

They have a peanut festival in Pelion, SC during the weekend of the 4th of July - oceans of boiled peanuts.

Just got back from a trip to Maryland, did not have a good trip and had to do a surprise inspection which went awful anyways; How many more troops are we going to loose overseas before we start kickin some tail and then ask questions. Keep praying for our troops.

As for the prior peanut post, I really don't know what makes peanuts taste so different and as far as the cost, well I was just sharing with you what I found to be a reasonable site with excellent product and service. Remember we each have different taste and lifestyles so if you find something thats good for you, then thats really all that matters.

Lance
    wag1468
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: boiled peanuts 2004/04/04 09:58:07 (permalink)
    HELP!!! I bought a bag of jumbo raw peanuts at Publix grocers the other day and I put them on to boil. After 8 hours, still not soft. What am I doing wrong? thanks
    Alexander
    Cheeseburger
    RE: boiled peanuts 2004/04/05 07:34:43 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by lance

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Just got back from a trip to Maryland, did not have a good trip and had to do a surprise inspection which went awful anyways; How many more troops are we going to loose overseas before we start kickin some tail and then ask questions. Keep praying for our troops.

As for the prior peanut post, I really don't know what makes peanuts taste so different and as far as the cost, well I was just sharing with you what I found to be a reasonable site with excellent product and service. Remember we each have different taste and lifestyles so if you find something thats good for you, then thats really all that matters.

Lance

I don't quite understand the last part of your post, which sounds rather defensive. You asked the question "...how do boiled peanuts differ from the salted dry shell one that you buy in the bag?" I and Angelfood tried to answer the question to the best of out experience. I don't see anything in our answers that could offend. I am, and I'm sure Angelfood is also, well aware of the differing tastes and preferences, but I can't find anything in our posts that even brought it up, much less denied it, unless you are referring to the baseball Moms substituting sunflower seeds for boiled peanuts. In that particular case, they made the mistake of substituting their own preferences or tastes for that of their customers, a practice which has proven fatal to many small (and some large) businesses.
    angelfood
    Cheeseburger
    RE: boiled peanuts 2004/04/05 09:07:56 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wag1468

HELP!!! I bought a bag of jumbo raw peanuts at Publix grocers the other day and I put them on to boil. After 8 hours, still not soft. What am I doing wrong? thanks

The ones you boil are generally labeled "green" and are put in one of the bins in the produce section with a scoop to put them into a plastic produce bag. "Raw," bagged peanuts are dried and ready to eat. I think this is your problem.

If you do use "raw" peanuts, they need to be soaked in water for 8 hours and then cooked for @ 8 hours. I've never heard of anyone boiling raw peanuts, but a google turned up this information:

http://www.aboutpeanuts.com/reci2.html
    angelfood
    Cheeseburger
    RE: boiled peanuts 2004/04/05 09:13:30 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:
    Originally posted by lance

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Lance

I don't quite understand the last part of your post, which sounds rather defensive. You asked the question "...how do boiled peanuts differ from the salted dry shell one that you buy in the bag?" I and Angelfood tried to answer the question to the best of out experience. I don't see anything in our answers that could offend. I am, and I'm sure Angelfood is also, well aware of the differing tastes and preferences, but I can't find anything in our posts that even brought it up, much less denied it, unless you are referring to the baseball Moms substituting sunflower seeds for boiled peanuts. In that particular case, they made the mistake of substituting their own preferences or tastes for that of their customers, a practice which has proven fatal to many small (and some large) businesses.

I'm confused about this as well.

As for the mother's switching boiled peanuts for sunflower seeds, I say, "a pox on them." LOL. That was bad judgement on their part. Don't mess up a good thing.
    emsmom
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: boiled peanuts 2004/04/05 09:35:37 (permalink)
    I went to the Regional Farmers Market Saturday in Charlotte, NC and a man was selling roasted peanuts and boiled peanuts for 3.00 per small bag. Another man was selling raw peanuts for 1.00. I decided to buy the raw ones and cook my own.
    angelfood
    Cheeseburger
    RE: boiled peanuts 2004/04/05 09:47:15 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by emsmom

I went to the Regional Farmers Market Saturday in Charlotte, NC and a man was selling roasted peanuts and boiled peanuts for 3.00 per small bag. Another man was selling raw peanuts for 1.00. I decided to buy the raw ones and cook my own.

How'd they turn out?
    angelfood
    Cheeseburger
    RE: boiled peanuts 2004/04/05 09:55:05 (permalink)
    Here's another link to try and clarify the difference between "green" and "raw" peanuts. Another site suggests you shake the peanut and if it rattles, it is not green.

http://www.hardyfarmspeanuts.com/pages/faqs.htm
    emsmom
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: boiled peanuts 2004/04/05 12:51:52 (permalink)
    They were good. I roasted them in a slow oven ( 250 degrees) and kept trying them until they were almost done. Hint: Remove peanuts from oven a few minute before you think that they taste done enough. They continue to cook in the shell for a few minutes until they cool. I did not try to boil these, but I do boil the green ones when they are available and let them sit in the salt water for a little while after boiling. I like both kinds.
    kittypaw
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 18
    RE: boiled peanuts 2004/04/05 22:33:36 (permalink)
    Japanese boiled peanuts are quite popular in Hawaii as pupus (appetizers to eat while drinking).

-valerie
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: boiled peanuts 2004/04/05 23:05:23 (permalink)
    quote:

Ort., where can I find some of those big peanuts? I love cooking the big ones. The bigger, the better.

Angelfood,
    My friend Rick grows them organically in his (sizeable) garden in Eastern Clarke County. He doesn't sell them, though.
    No joke - some of his are 5" long and contain four of the largest kernels I've ever seen. Boiled, they're DIVINE. Boy's from Connecticut (been here for years) and he likes boiled p-nuts. We'll make a Southerner out of him yet, s'pose.
    Gooberically, Ort. Carlton in Central Clarke County.
    P. S. Where for you to buy some? Hmmm. Somebody's GOTTA have the big ones on the Net someplace. Any ideas, hipsters?
    fcbaldwin
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 388
    RE: boiled peanuts 2004/04/06 11:11:44 (permalink)
    I emailed a friend who is in the peanut business in southeastern Va. Here is what he answered:

Hi Frank, Yes we have them. They are Virginia Jumbo's the finest, largest, in shell peanuts in the WORLD! These have been dried but they can still be boiled. "Green" peanuts are actually peanuts that have been freshly dug and have not been dried. They are available only during the harvest time(September) and must be used in 2-3 days before they start going through a "heat"(starting to rot). That's probably a lot more info than you wanted but now you have the facts. How many pounds do you want? Thanks. Lindsey

Now, obviously, in addition to answering my question about where to get jumbo peanuts that can be boiled, he solicited my business. I would expect him to do this. My disclaimer: I have no financial interest in his business. However, my wife does his website for him, which URL is:
    http://www.goodearthpeanuts.com

Frank
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1