bonopizza bonotogo Columbus Ohio I was Amazed

Author
Russ Jackson
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2257
2010/01/19 09:00:47 (permalink)

bonopizza bonotogo Columbus Ohio I was Amazed

bono pizza or bonotogo located at 1717 Northwest Blvd Columbus Ohio 614-906-8646.

Ok so I get home from work and decide I want to order a Pizza delivered. I moved to Columbus Ohio about six months ago and have not had pizza delivered yet. I know it sounds strange but those who know me are aware of my Pizza demands. As Dewey's or Troni's are the only places i go to in Ohio. Both do not deliver and Troni's is 80 miles away. So I take a few spins on my itouch urbanspoon app and up pops a place called bonopizza it is only 4.2 miles away and I have never seen it. So the wife and I jump in the car. They deliver but I want to see it. I punch the address in the Tom Tom and head out. I pass the place a few times and dont see it. I pull into a Donato's parking lot and call the place for directions but I figure it must be out of business. They answer the phone and tell me it is in the back of a Liquor store. Ok this has to suck but I got to see a Pizza place in a Liquor store so I proceed the block down the road and pull in the lot.

Some guy is standing in between a door that says bonotogo with a phone number and the dumpster having a smoke and I ask him if this is the entrance. He politely says no but come on in anyway. I walk in the door only to face the fire of the wood burning pizza oven at full tilt behind the counter. The Wife and I walk around it and sit down at one of the two tables. One seats 6 which has a reserved sign on it while the other is only for two. Set on the tables are several vintage cookbooks for the eight potential customers to read. There is also a vintage 1970's push button phone on the table for two.

A gentleman between 50 and 60 comes out of a back room and greets us politely wearing a Captians Hat and tell us that the phone is for use to call anyone if we want even to call enemies or prank calls. I like this guy. A woman of about the same age appears and hands us a menu. To my back is a Liquor store through a walkway. She asks if we had been there before and we reply no we found you on the internet. She explains that they opened a month ago and serve fresh made pizza in an oven invented by her husband. From what i saw on the way in it appears to be a precast unit surrounded in stucco. It has a black pipe running up through the center of the ceiling with a drop ceiling in need of repair from what appears to be a leak. She also tells of of there travels around Ohio, tells us if we wish to take home any of the cookbooks on the tables and return them at a later date it would be fine. My Wife and her spend some time talking about old cookbooks as I have about 4 or 5 hundred myself.

To the Pizza. She tells me that all the ingredients are fresh and never frozen. Pizza is made to order and makes a few recommendations. We opt for the #18 Carbonara the description reads: Smithfield peppered ham/bacon is caramelized for three hours with a ton of onions then put on a layer of Asiago and fresh mozzarella cheeses then sprinkled with parmesan and pixie dust and gorgonzola. I also order a Pepperoni #14: an American Classic and she recommends adding fresh sausage.
I ask about beverages and she says to purchase anything I want from the store attached. I go over and buy a 24 oz Miller original in a can and return to my seat. While the first Pizza is in the oven she brings over two tiny plastic champagne glasses for our beverage and a photo book of the history of bono pizza and his patented oven. We chat for awhile and our pizza is delivered from the oven maybe seven feet away. The #18 Carbonara is delivered to the table piping hot with a warning to let it cool a little. So I have 1 sip out of my shot glass of beer refill it and dig in. Perfectly cooked and delicious. The 10 inch kind of round crust is perfect. It needs nothing. My wife is speechless. By the time we both finish a piece the pepperoni arrives. It is also just as good and the sausage she recommended is better than the pepperoni.
I have found Pizza Nirvana in a Liquor Store from a Man in a Captains Hat next to a Dumpster. I kinda hope that this place sort of stays a secret but I also think they might need the business. These people know how to make Pizza so I doubt it. If you are in the area you must stop in and say hi to these fun and amazing people. They are only opened from 5pm to 10pm. I dont think they deliver but I could be wrong. The Pizza is $10 dollars each and you can order them anyway you want. The two pizzas were $20 plus the $1.48 24oz beer for a total of $21.48 it was a steal and one of the most enjoyable meals I have ever had...Russ

On the menu it says:

of course its in the back of a liquor store its bono pizza. The menu is hand typed with over typed corrections and strange drawings and clippings.
post edited by Russ Jackson - 2010/01/21 09:54:05

25 Replies Related Threads

TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4583
    Re:bono pizza Columbus Ohio I was Amazed 2010/01/19 09:28:59 (permalink)
    Need to get Mr Hoffman and Hatteras in there......
    collinf
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 164
    Re:bono pizza Columbus Ohio I was Amazed 2010/01/19 09:39:17 (permalink)
    I love it!  You sold me!
    David_NYC
    • Total Posts : 2164
    Re:bono pizza Columbus Ohio I was Amazed 2010/01/19 10:02:14 (permalink)
    There was some Columbus media coverage:
    http://www.columbusalive.com/live/content/features/stories/2009/11/26/ca_fo_bite_bono-pizza.html?sid=108

More links from this page:
    http://deraj1013.blogspot.com/2009/11/bono-pizza.html
    More media coverage going back to 2006 (at his various locations) can be found through Google, including an old PDF copy of a menu, and a podcast. There are also many photos of the pizzas included with the articles. I don't think I have ever seen pizzas quite like this. Sounds like my kind of place.
    post edited by David_NYC - 2010/01/19 10:32:23
    Lisajo
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 61
    Re:bono pizza Columbus Ohio I was Amazed 2010/01/19 10:21:43 (permalink)
    Russ, that is a GREAT line! LOL

"I have found Pizza Nirvana in a Liquor Store from a Man in a Captains Hat next to a Dumpster"

I am putting bonopizza on my list!
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3142
    Re:bono pizza Columbus Ohio I was Amazed 2010/01/19 10:34:56 (permalink)
    That is great Russ!!!!!!  Thanks
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3726
    Re:bono pizza Columbus Ohio I was Amazed 2010/01/19 10:54:58 (permalink)
    This is a great Roadfood report.  I could just see  everything through your  great descriptions.  It sounds like a terrific  Roadfood place.
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    Re:bono pizza Columbus Ohio I was Amazed 2010/01/19 12:15:05 (permalink)
    What a cool find!  It sounds like my kind of place.
    hatteras04
    • Total Posts : 1092
    Re:bono pizza Columbus Ohio I was Amazed 2010/01/19 12:15:34 (permalink)
    That sounds like a definite must try and soon.  I would love to see them make it as there have been several places go in and out of that space.  The last time I was there it was a hot dog place named gulla dogs or something like that.  As you pointed out, it is kind of hard to find.  Years ago I lived in the Heritage apartments right across the street and had to survive on Mama Lena's which is right across from the liquor store.  It was ok but I got tired of it.  Since I work at OSU, I think stopping by on the way home sometime this week sounds like a great idea.  I'll let you know what I think of it.
    Ralph Melton
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 896
    Re:bono pizza Columbus Ohio I was Amazed 2010/01/19 12:43:33 (permalink)
    I agree that this was a particularly excellent report, and I shall try to emulate its virtues in my own reporting.
    Mrs.Crunch
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 199
    Re:bono pizza Columbus Ohio I was Amazed 2010/01/19 13:53:38 (permalink)
    Russ,
      Thank you so much for the review, we have been meaning to visit this place for a while now and now I'm really motivated! Our go to pizza is usually Tommy's in Dublin.
    Russ Jackson
    Re:bono pizza Columbus Ohio I was Amazed 2010/01/19 17:25:51 (permalink)
    hatteras04

That sounds like a definite must try and soon.  I would love to see them make it as there have been several places go in and out of that space.  The last time I was there it was a hot dog place named gulla dogs or something like that.  As you pointed out, it is kind of hard to find.  Years ago I lived in the Heritage apartments right across the street and had to survive on Mama Lena's which is right across from the liquor store.  It was ok but I got tired of it.  Since I work at OSU, I think stopping by on the way home sometime this week sounds like a great idea.  I'll let you know what I think of it.

I am sure you will enjoy it keep an open mind...Russ

Russ Jackson
    Re:bono pizza Columbus Ohio I was Amazed 2010/01/19 17:27:26 (permalink)
    Mrs.Crunch

Russ,
     Thank you so much for the review, we have been meaning to visit this place for a while now and now I'm really motivated! Our go to pizza is usually Tommy's in Dublin.

I guess you wont be going to Tommy's anymore. Have you tried Dewey's? If you are with a crowd Dewey's is better suited...Russ

Mrs.Crunch
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 199
    Re:bono pizza Columbus Ohio I was Amazed 2010/01/20 10:48:36 (permalink)

Russ,
      Indeed we have been to the Dewey's- our first time was in Cinci a few years back for my brothers birthday. I'll never forget it, we ordered 2 pizzas for 4 people and the bill came to over $100.00. Since it was my treat I saw the bill and immediately started to laugh since I knew it was a mistake. The server saw me, grabbed the bill and started to say "OHHH sorry, sorry sorry!! I know what i did, I accidently rang up 9 pizzas on your bill!" 
    The server was very appreciative I saw humor instantly in the bill instead of yelling at her or blowing my top. Long story short, we did enjoy Dewey's much and love the fact they serve draught beer.

Russ Jackson

Mrs.Crunch

Russ,

I guess you wont be going to Tommy's anymore. Have you tried Dewey's? If you are with a crowd Dewey's is better suited...Russ

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18448
    Re:bono pizza Columbus Ohio I was Amazed 2010/01/20 14:38:13 (permalink)
    I'm not allowed on that side of town.
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    Re:bono pizza Columbus Ohio I was Amazed 2010/01/20 14:39:50 (permalink)
    I can see why.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18448
    Re:bono pizza Columbus Ohio I was Amazed 2010/01/20 14:48:58 (permalink)
    NYPIzzaNut

I can see why.

Really? And just exactly what is it that you can see?
    Wintem01
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 205
    Re:bono pizza Columbus Ohio I was Amazed 2010/01/20 16:22:35 (permalink)
    I recently read that there is also a new place in Columbus called Yellow Brick Pizza which, I believe, was opened by one of the captain's apprentices.
    www.yellowbrickpizza.com

I haven't been to either yet, but have read good reviews of both.

Russ Jackson
    Re:bono pizza Columbus Ohio I was Amazed 2010/01/22 08:31:15 (permalink)
    Here is the menu hope you can read it. If you open the picture in a seperate window by copying properties of picture in its own window you can read it.

...Russ
    post edited by Russ Jackson - 2010/01/22 08:34:54
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    Re:bono pizza Columbus Ohio I was Amazed 2010/01/22 13:07:50 (permalink)
    I am jealous!! and you have sold me too---its in my book and gives me areason to take a northern route to visit family !
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    Re:bono pizza Columbus Ohio I was Amazed 2010/01/22 14:56:44 (permalink)
    I am getting sorely tempted!!!
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    Re:bono pizza Columbus Ohio I was Amazed 2010/01/22 23:42:00 (permalink)
    Neat find and great post Russ!
    Joe
    hatteras04
    Re:bono pizza Columbus Ohio I was Amazed 2010/01/26 21:55:42 (permalink)
    I stopped on the way home tonight and picked up two pizzas for dinner.  I got a San Rolando (#2) and a Carbonara (#18) which is pretty much the same thing Russ had.  I completely share his opinion that the pizzas were incredible.  I liked the Carbonara the best.  The blue cheese was unexpected and though it did dominate the flavor somewhat it all worked.  I liked the peperoni and sausage one too though since I got them to go and it's freezing here it was a little cold by the time we ate it.  Next time I will have my wife turn to oven on when I'm on my way home so we can heat it up a little.

Overall, I was very pleased though the pizzas were a little smaller than I was expecting.  $10 is probably a pretty good price for how good they are and the quality of the ingredients but I don't think they are 10 inch pies.  They are more like 8.  One person can easily eat a whole one and maybe part of another.  Still, we will be making this a regular stop.  I hope for once this location works out for someone.  We decided that from now on we will work our way down the menu getting one new one and one Carbonara each time.
    Russ Jackson
    Re:bono pizza Columbus Ohio I was Amazed 2010/01/27 08:08:35 (permalink)
    I was there also last night about 5pm. I shot a couple pictures of the Pizza and the place. I think this type of Pizza needs to be eaten fresh. I also agree that the size could be bigger. We ordered three pizzas.
    1 Margarita

My Son ordered a build your own with Kalamata Olives, Garlic, Anchovies (which are top quality) Fresh Mozzerella and ****ake Mushrooms and light sauce.

We also ordered a Pepperoni and Sausage (not Pictured) There Sausage is some of the finest I have had on a Pizza.

Here are a couple other shots of the place.

This is the back of the oven about 6 feet away.

My Wife and I split a Modelo which was purchased for $1.09 in the attached store. Note the tiny glasses. I love Modelo or Tecate with Pizza. 

It was a full house with every seat taken so I guess the word is out. The staff is very nice and Eccentric. When you consider the price you pay for beverages, quality product, and the ombience this place is a bargin. Looks like the word is out now so good luck on getting a seat....Russ

The Old Phone was missing from the table and I dont like that. I hope it returns....LOL
    post edited by Russ Jackson - 2010/01/27 08:10:36
    hatteras04
    Re:bono pizza Columbus Ohio I was Amazed 2010/01/27 11:05:53 (permalink)
    I must have gotten there right after you.  I picked mine up at about 6:30.  I agree about the sausage.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4583
    Re:bono pizza Columbus Ohio I was Amazed 2010/04/08 12:06:02 (permalink)
    any updates on this new pizza on the block?
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1