The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

 bourbon

Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 3 of 4, messages 61 to 90 of 95
Author Message
mayor al

  • Total Posts: 15069
  • Joined: 8/20/2002
  • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
  • Roadfood Insider
RE: bourbon Fri, 07/16/04 6:14 PM (permalink)
One of the perks to being a part of the Maker's Mark Marketing Club is that you can have your name blazed onto a barrel of the stuff when it is distilled and set aside...Then when the barrel comes of age for bottling they will invite you to a tasting as the product is being bottled. It is a fun time, and makes me feel a part of the local bourbon coulture here. At last report you could buy "your barrel" for a mere $4000 if you wanted to keep it a real Private Reserve". posted 2/15/2004 by AJB

OK it is time to update this thread.

Today I received my Certificate from Makers Mark with the Barrel Number etc, of 'my' barrel. They will notify me when the bourbon comes of age and we can come out and observe "Our Barrel" being bottled....and buy some of the bottles if'n that's our pleasure. While this sounds like quite a sales thingy, I must admit it is a good one. They even have photo's on the website that 'show me' "My barrel" as it was placed in the Storage Barn. I think this is neat, and look forward to seeing(and tasting) the finished product when it comes of age. Maybe we can have a Louisville Meet and Drink session to celebrate that event.




 
#61
    mayor al

    • Total Posts: 15069
    • Joined: 8/20/2002
    • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
    • Roadfood Insider
    RE: bourbon Fri, 07/16/04 6:25 PM (permalink)
    This is kind of a different track than the above....but i found it interesting to read that Makers Mark doesn't sell the used barrels to the public...or reuse them. Instead they sell the used MM Barrels to the distillers of Canadien and Scotch Whiskies. Apparently it is ok to use second hand bourbon barrels to hold that $50 a bottle single Malt Scotch for 12 or 20 years. Just makes me wonder!!
     
    #62
      Sundancer7

      RE: bourbon Sat, 07/17/04 2:53 AM (permalink)
      Mr. Mayor, that sounds like fun to me. The only problem I see is that if my name was on the certificate, I would feel some responsibility of protecting it. I would like to own it.

      Paul E. Smith
      Knoxville, TN
       
      #63
        Phishmonger

        • Total Posts: 217
        • Joined: 10/15/2003
        • Location: Putnam, CT
        RE: bourbon Sat, 07/17/04 10:37 AM (permalink)
        Just opened a bottle of Knob Creek (Single Barrel, 9 years old) last night. It's smo-o-o-th as silk and quite nice with just a little spring water and ice. I think I'll have a little right now. It's past noon somewhere.
         
        #64
          Poverty Pete

          • Total Posts: 2266
          • Joined: 8/16/2003
          • Location: Nashville, TN
          RE: bourbon Sat, 07/17/04 10:43 AM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

          This is kind of a different track than the above....but i found it interesting to read that Makers Mark doesn't sell the used barrels to the public...or reuse them. Instead they sell the used MM Barrels to the distillers of Canadien and Scotch Whiskies. Apparently it is ok to use second hand bourbon barrels to hold that $50 a bottle single Malt Scotch for 12 or 20 years. Just makes me wonder!!

          Not only is it ok, it's nearly mandatory. Every good scotch distillery that I can think of uses either American bourbon barrels or Spanish sherry barrels for aging.
           
          #65
            Bushie

            • Total Posts: 2902
            • Joined: 4/21/2001
            • Location: Round Rock, TX
            RE: bourbon Sun, 07/18/04 8:05 PM (permalink)
            On Mr. Mayor's advice, I submitted my name for a barrel a couple of months ago. I expect to have my certificate around the end of this year. In 2011, let's all plan on getting together at the Mayor's house and drinking our bourbon. I think Lanesville, Indiana will never be the same.
             
            #66
              Sundancer7

              RE: bourbon Mon, 07/19/04 3:23 PM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by Phishmonger

              Just opened a bottle of Knob Creek (Single Barrel, 9 years old) last night. It's smo-o-o-th as silk and quite nice with just a little spring water and ice. I think I'll have a little right now. It's past noon somewhere.


              A friend of mine just retired and I got him a fifth of Knob Creek. I hope he does not mix it with Coke as i doubt if he knows the value of the taste of this good stuff.

              Paul E. Smith
              Knoxville, TN
               
              #67
                Rick F.

                • Total Posts: 1736
                • Joined: 8/16/2002
                • Location: Natchitoches, LA
                RE: bourbon Mon, 07/19/04 4:03 PM (permalink)
                Knob Creek, then Wild Turkey 101. A bit of water with either (maybe club soda with the Turkey), and just enough ice to chill it well.
                 
                #68
                  ReLoad

                  • Total Posts: 7
                  • Joined: 12/16/2007
                  • Location: S.E. of Phoenix Area, AZ
                  RE: bourbon Sun, 12/16/07 6:10 PM (permalink)

                  ~ "In-Depth"
                  - I 'found' Ezra Brooks 15yo bourbon;
                  -(circa early 80s) 2b the
                  Absolute BEST Ever tasted. Since then however;
                  -not nearly the same quality.
                  - Using Walfart brand
                  ~ "Great value"
                  100% Aribica coffee in a
                  "Well/Often used espresso machine:

                  ~ I occasionally go into "production mode",
                  - by making a Quart,(8fl oz at a time)
                  -of bourbon espresso'd thru
                  3 Heaping Tablespoons of coffee, which:
                  -I then refrigerate in a 1 qt glass container,
                  - w/ lid that seals well & end-up with
                  ~ Concentrated Coffe(w/*Kick[;-). A jigger
                  added to *Ice'd Caugh-ee
                  ~ in 'night trading' commodities monitoring
                  - sessions gives a good tasting, awake yet:
                  ~ ReLaxed state of 'awareness'.
                   
                  #69
                    Russ Jackson

                    • Total Posts: 2257
                    • Joined: 11/28/2007
                    • Location: Xenia
                    RE: bourbon Sun, 12/16/07 6:38 PM (permalink)
                    JTS BROWN If Fast Eddie Felson can drink it so can I.....lol Russ
                     
                    #70
                      mayor al

                      • Total Posts: 15069
                      • Joined: 8/20/2002
                      • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                      • Roadfood Insider
                      RE: bourbon Sun, 12/16/07 7:17 PM (permalink)
                      Russ, Thanks for bringing this thread back to life. We will be checking out the Opening of "Our" batch of Makers Mark in less than 2 years. I wish i had the $4000(@) it takes to buy the whole 53 gallon barrel when they open it. That would be a great "Old Man's Gift". Maybe i need to hint to my son's how much that would mean to me !!!
                       
                      #71
                        Phildelmar

                        • Total Posts: 792
                        • Joined: 3/19/2006
                        • Location: Newark, DE
                        RE: bourbon Sun, 12/16/07 9:02 PM (permalink)
                        Evan Williams is good value and Ezra Brooks 90 is as well
                         
                        #72
                          zataar

                          • Total Posts: 1440
                          • Joined: 4/5/2004
                          • Location: kansas city, MO
                          RE: bourbon Sun, 12/16/07 9:28 PM (permalink)
                          We were given a very nice bottle of Jefferson's Reserve. We are enjoying it greatly.
                           
                          #73
                            mayor al

                            • Total Posts: 15069
                            • Joined: 8/20/2002
                            • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                            • Roadfood Insider
                            RE: bourbon Thu, 01/10/08 12:28 PM (permalink)
                            A BUMP to bring this back for an UPDATE-

                            I may have to alter my concept of shopping locations.... Today while shopping for some cheap soda at our local, Corydon, Indiana, WalMart, I saw that they now stock KNOB CEEK and WILD TURKEY 101 in a new "Hard Liquor" section of the Beer and Wine Aisle. There were several other of the well-known brands of various types of booze there...But those two struck me as unusual for WALMART inventory!
                             
                            #74
                              boyardee65

                              • Total Posts: 1457
                              • Joined: 8/28/2005
                              • Location: Surprise, AZ
                              RE: bourbon Thu, 01/10/08 12:34 PM (permalink)
                              I'm still partial to Makers Mark and Knob Creek. I have tried the Woodford Reserve and find it a little too sweet for my taste. I usually drink it straight with a water back(no ice.)

                              David O.
                               
                              #75
                                Ashphalt

                                • Total Posts: 1644
                                • Joined: 9/14/2005
                                • Location: Sharon, MA
                                RE: bourbon Thu, 01/10/08 12:42 PM (permalink)
                                quote:
                                Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

                                A BUMP to bring this back for an UPDATE-

                                I may have to alter my concept of shopping locations.... Today while shopping for some cheap soda at our local, Corydon, Indiana, WalMart, I saw that they now stock KNOB CEEK and WILD TURKEY 101 in a new "Hard Liquor" section of the Beer and Wine Aisle. There were several other of the well-known brands of various types of booze there...But those two struck me as unusual for WALMART inventory!


                                I'm sure you'll hardly notice the minor imperfections.
                                 
                                #76
                                  Scorereader

                                  • Total Posts: 5546
                                  • Joined: 8/4/2005
                                  • Location: Crofton, MD
                                  RE: bourbon Thu, 01/10/08 1:33 PM (permalink)
                                  Last Friday, I tried some Johnny Drum (Kentucky Bourbon). The smokiness reminded me of some scotches I enjoy, and yet had the sweetness, reminiscent of vanilla, we all come to expect. It was well balanced and very smooth, easily sipped neat. Definately on my new favorites list.
                                   
                                  #77
                                    Rusty246

                                    • Total Posts: 2413
                                    • Joined: 7/15/2003
                                    • Location: Newberry, FL
                                    RE: bourbon Thu, 01/10/08 1:53 PM (permalink)
                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

                                    Russ, Thanks for bringing this thread back to life. We will be checking out the Opening of "Our" batch of Makers Mark in less than 2 years. I wish i had the $4000(@) it takes to buy the whole 53 gallon barrel when they open it. That would be a great "Old Man's Gift". Maybe i need to hint to my son's how much that would mean to me !!!

                                    Mr. Mayor:

                                    I too am an "Ambassador" of "Makers Mark", I too have a "birth certificate". I emailed asking about owing my barrel or at least the part blazend my with my name(and others for that matter). I was told that the barrells eventually end up out of the country. I did however over the holidays receive a letter sealer(wax and stamp). You?
                                     
                                    #78
                                      mayor al

                                      • Total Posts: 15069
                                      • Joined: 8/20/2002
                                      • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                      • Roadfood Insider
                                      RE: bourbon Thu, 01/10/08 2:01 PM (permalink)
                                      Yeah, I got the freebie too ! At first I thought it was a crayon!!! (The Kentucky Word-Processor!)

                                      I recently got a notice that when the time comes for our barrel to be opened, they will allow us to buy 2 bottles of MM from that barrel, if we give them notice to set aside the bottles until we can pick them up. I WILL do that !!
                                       
                                      #79
                                        Phildelmar

                                        • Total Posts: 792
                                        • Joined: 3/19/2006
                                        • Location: Newark, DE
                                        RE: bourbon Thu, 01/10/08 2:24 PM (permalink)
                                        Nice to see this thread again. I think I will also reserve my 2 bottles
                                         
                                        #80
                                          Wintem01

                                          • Total Posts: 205
                                          • Joined: 3/26/2007
                                          • Location: Columbus, OH
                                          RE: bourbon Thu, 01/10/08 2:57 PM (permalink)
                                          Normally a Jack Daniels man. Couple cubes with a beer chaser. But if no Jack is available then Makers Mark is a splendid substitute. Does anyone else find Jim Beam as awful as I do? Something about it really turns my stomach.
                                           
                                          #81
                                            Scorereader

                                            • Total Posts: 5546
                                            • Joined: 8/4/2005
                                            • Location: Crofton, MD
                                            RE: bourbon Thu, 01/10/08 3:39 PM (permalink)
                                            quote:
                                            Originally posted by Wintem01

                                            Normally a Jack Daniels man. Couple cubes with a beer chaser. But if no Jack is available then Makers Mark is a splendid substitute. Does anyone else find Jim Beam as awful as I do? Something about it really turns my stomach.


                                            as a JD fan, you might be agreeable to Beam Black, even if the regular Jim Beam is not to your liking.

                                             
                                            #82
                                              Rusty246

                                              • Total Posts: 2413
                                              • Joined: 7/15/2003
                                              • Location: Newberry, FL
                                              RE: bourbon Thu, 01/10/08 3:45 PM (permalink)
                                              quote:
                                              Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

                                              Yeah, I got the freebie too ! At first I thought it was a crayon!!! (The Kentucky Word-Processor!)

                                              I recently got a notice that when the time comes for our barrel to be opened, they will allow us to buy 2 bottles of MM from that barrel, if we give them notice to set aside the bottles until we can pick them up. I WILL do that !!


                                              I thought my stamp was a free SAMPLE!!!!!!!! When I realized it wouldn't open, I then read the enclosure.
                                               
                                              #83
                                                leethebard

                                                • Total Posts: 6083
                                                • Joined: 8/16/2007
                                                • Location: brick, NJ
                                                RE: bourbon Thu, 01/10/08 3:51 PM (permalink)
                                                Hi,
                                                Count me in as a long time fan(over 40 years..of good old Tennessee Sour Mash...Jack Daniels! I'm even a Tennessee Squire..awarded to me by JD. I own one square inch of Jack Daniel's Hollow!! Any other Tennessee squires out there?
                                                leethebard
                                                 
                                                #84
                                                  Phildelmar

                                                  • Total Posts: 792
                                                  • Joined: 3/19/2006
                                                  • Location: Newark, DE
                                                  RE: bourbon Thu, 01/10/08 5:26 PM (permalink)
                                                  I am also a squire.
                                                  The occasional letters they send us are always good fun
                                                   
                                                  #85
                                                    JoeEats

                                                    • Total Posts: 45
                                                    • Joined: 3/31/2004
                                                    • Location: Riverside, RI
                                                    RE: bourbon Thu, 01/10/08 5:37 PM (permalink)
                                                    I'm a big fan of Woodford and Knob Creek. Enjoy Basil Hayden as well. Maker's Mark makes a fabulous Manhattan.
                                                     
                                                    #86
                                                      mayor al

                                                      • Total Posts: 15069
                                                      • Joined: 8/20/2002
                                                      • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                                      • Roadfood Insider
                                                      RE: bourbon Thu, 01/10/08 5:53 PM (permalink)

                                                      Joe,
                                                      We signed up for the Woodford Reserve "Exec-Club" I have forgotten the actual name, but it operates like the Makers Mark and JD 'memberships'. We did attend a fine luncheon at the distillery with Paul, Bushie, & Poverty Pete in 2006. Woodford Reserve does send out a lot of emails announcing events related to the Horse Country and Bourbon Culture. We hope to attend more in the future. The Woodford distillery is in an absolutely beautiful location, surrounded by the beautiful horse farms in the Bluegrass area.

                                                      Buffalo Trace is another quality distiller in that same region.
                                                       
                                                      #87
                                                        Wintem01

                                                        • Total Posts: 205
                                                        • Joined: 3/26/2007
                                                        • Location: Columbus, OH
                                                        RE: bourbon Fri, 01/11/08 9:56 AM (permalink)

                                                        as a JD fan, you might be agreeable to Beam Black, even if the regular Jim Beam is not to your liking.




                                                        Thanks Scorereader, I'll give it a shot.
                                                         
                                                        #88
                                                          hipster006

                                                          • Total Posts: 39
                                                          • Joined: 8/20/2001
                                                          • Location: pottsville, PA
                                                          RE: bourbon Fri, 01/11/08 10:21 AM (permalink)
                                                          i recently tried some great bourbon from of all places, hudson valley,ny. previously i thought bourbon had to be a product of kentucky but that is not true. to be bourbon it has to be aged in charred barrels. live and learn.
                                                           
                                                          #89
                                                            MiamiDon

                                                            RE: bourbon Fri, 01/11/08 10:36 AM (permalink)
                                                            quote:
                                                            Originally posted by leethebard

                                                            Hi,
                                                            Count me in as a long time fan(over 40 years..of good old Tennessee Sour Mash...Jack Daniels! I'm even a Tennessee Squire..awarded to me by JD. I own one square inch of Jack Daniel's Hollow!! Any other Tennessee squires out there?
                                                            leethebard


                                                            Me! Although, they stopped sending me goodies some time ago. I thought the program was defunct.
                                                             
                                                            #90
                                                              Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 3 of 4, messages 61 to 90 of 95

                                                              Jump to:

                                                              Current active users

                                                              There are 0 members and 1 guests.

                                                              Icon Legend and Permission

                                                              • New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

                                                              2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com