Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

bourbon

Change Page: 1234 > | Showing page 1 of 4, messages 1 to 30 of 95
paul and louise

• Total Posts: 116
bourbon Thu, 06/19/03 5:57 PM (permalink)
does anybody out there like a little bourbon whiskey?
what is your fav?
get you a little woodford reserve, and sip it slow
how do you like it served?
on ice?
a little water?
i figure if they worked that hard to create a flavor profile, then why
put anything in it?
it's like putting ketchup on french food
-it just isn't done

hawkeyejohn

• Total Posts: 257
    RE: bourbon Thu, 06/19/03 6:05 PM (permalink)
    Single barrel Jack Daniels with 1 or 2 ice cubes.

Sundancer7

RE: bourbon Thu, 06/19/03 6:15 PM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by hawkeyejohn

Single barrel Jack Daniels with 1 or 2 ice cubes.

I do not believe Jack Daniels is a bourbon. I think it is a sour mash. Kentucky folks might get upset with the finest whiskey in the world being called a bourbon.

We had 35 Japanese pharmaceutical guys visit us in Knoxville a few years ago. The only word of English they knew was Jack Daniels and Dolly Parton.

If you ever get a chance, visit Lynchburg TN. The distillery is as ancient as they advertise it. I do not things have changed in the last 100 years. Smells good too

Paul E. Smith
      Knoxville, TN

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15076
        • Roadfood Insider
        RE: bourbon Thu, 06/19/03 6:16 PM (permalink)
        Maker's Mark is choice one... then Evan Walker.
        chilled, but no ice in the glass.

Sundancer7

RE: bourbon Thu, 06/19/03 6:28 PM (permalink)
          My local liquor store sells some pretty expensive bourbons. I bought one because it was recommended by a friend. I paid close to $100. Perhaps I ain't that good of a taster. I agree with the Mayor, Makers mark is pretty good stuff.

Jack Daniels is a little sweet for me.

I generally stay with Canadian Club.

Paul E. Smith
          Knoxville, TN

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
            RE: bourbon Thu, 06/19/03 7:11 PM (permalink)
            Paul,
            Bardstown KY holds a tour of several of the local distilleries once a year. I don't know the cost, but you use a charter bus to go from Distillery to distillery a total of 7 to 9 on the tour. At each you watch the operation and get a sample or two of different types of Bourbon. It is my understanding that at the end of the tour a designated driver is required for each participant.
            BTW there ar 21 Bourbon distilleries within an hour of Bardstown.
            and (one More)
            A couple of years back a tanker truck was stolen out of a parking area near Louisville while the driver was out to lunch or something...the trailer tanker was filled with 12,000 gallons of Gin, heading for the Seagram's bottling facility in Lawrenceburg, Indiana. They recovered the truck and trailer the next day in rural Indiana...but it was empty. I have always wondered how someone could drain 12,000 gallons of gin in a day...What a hell of a martini!!

Sundancer7

RE: bourbon Thu, 06/19/03 7:46 PM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Paul,
              Bardstown KY holds a tour of several of the local distilleries once a year. I don't know the cost, but you use a charter bus to go from Distillery to distillery a total of 7 to 9 on the tour. At each you watch the operation and get a sample or two of different types of Bourbon. It is my understanding that at the end of the tour a designated driver is required for each participant.
              BTW there ar 21 Bourbon distilleries within an hour of Bardstown.
              and (one More)
              A couple of years back a tanker truck was stolen out of a parking area near Louisville while the driver was out to lunch or something...the trailer tanker was filled with 12,000 gallons of Gin, heading for the Seagram's bottling facility in Lawrenceburg, Indiana. They recovered the truck and trailer the next day in rural Indiana...but it was empty. I have always wondered how someone could drain 12,000 gallons of gin in a day...What a hell of a martini!!

Either that or that had one hellova straw

I wonder what they did with it

I would like to do the tour you described. If you ever get the opportunity, go to Lynchburg. The tour is very good and they allow you to stick your nose over the fermentation vat. Please be aware, it ain't nothing fancy The CO2 will knock your socks off when you stick your nose over the fermentation tanks.

Downtown Lynchburg is your kind of place. Great antiques and real downhome restaurants.

Paul E. Smith
              Knoxville, TN

Bushie

• Total Posts: 2902
                RE: bourbon Thu, 06/19/03 9:35 PM (permalink)
                Technically, Jack Daniels is a "Tennessee" whiskey. George Dickel and Jack Daniels are the only two whiskeys (last I knew, anyway), that can carry the designation of Tennessee, due to the unique charcoal filtering process both distilleries use. I know Jack Daniels also calls itself a "sour mash"; I don't remember if George Dickel does or not.

However, in my experience, when you are thoroughly enjoying your favorite adult beverage, you don't give a d**m what it is "technically".

For me, it's Maker's Mark or Wild Turkey 101.

I also agree with Sundance that anyone should take the tour in Lynchburg. It's a cool town, and the distillery tour is really interesting.

I also ate at a diner downtown on the square of some small town not far from there; I read about it in one of the Stern's books. Can't remember the restaurant or the town, but I'll look for it and edit my post if I find it.

ocdreamr

• Total Posts: 1109
                  RE: bourbon Thu, 06/19/03 11:16 PM (permalink)
                  quote:

I'm thinking pool with a couple of dozen limes sliced up in it & me on one of those floating chaises with a big straw.

Michael Stern

RE: bourbon Fri, 06/20/03 4:41 AM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by Bushie

...I also ate at a diner downtown on the square of some small town not far from there; I read about it in one of the Stern's books. Can't remember the restaurant or the town, but I'll look for it and edit my post if I find it.

Maybe it was Pope's Cafe in Shelbyville? Great for meat-and-threes and pies, as I recall:

... and to answer Paul and Louise's original post, NO. I don't like a little bourbon. I like a lot. [|)][|)]

RubyRose

• Total Posts: 2187
                      RE: bourbon Fri, 06/20/03 7:11 AM (permalink)
                      About 30 years ago, I won a trip to the Kentucky Derby and one of the highlights of the trip was a tour of the Maker's Mark distillery in a little town named Loretto. I have been a fan ever since.

Cosmos

• Total Posts: 1448
                        RE: bourbon Fri, 06/20/03 7:48 AM (permalink)
                        Haven't had it in a while but when I do, Maker's Mark, or Jim Beam, straight-up, sippin'.

scbuzz

• Total Posts: 844
                          RE: bourbon Fri, 06/20/03 7:58 AM (permalink)
                          Sorry ... single malt scotch man here !!

However I'll drink Bourbon if you are paying !!!

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                            RE: bourbon Fri, 06/20/03 8:02 AM (permalink)
                            Talk about a dilemma- We bought three of the Special "Secretariat" Bottles of Maker's Mark, with the all black glass and gold lettering...done to honor the 30th aniversary of the Triple Crown performance... The thought was to have something special for a Derby Party next year, or later.. Well we took the bottles out to Keeneland Race Course on the day of the BlueGrass Stakes this Spring to have them autographed (in gold ink) by by the owner of the horse, the jockey who rode him in the big races, the President of Makers Mark, and the President of Keeneland Race Track ( it was a charitable special event with the signing part of a special day's program there). To make a long story short, the day turned out to be a 6 hour wait in line for the autographs...after which we we too worn down to enjoy the day of racing, so we went home. Now I have the three bottles ($40 each) but with them all signed I see them on Ebay at $100 or more apiece. My Dilemma-- Do I drink this stuff and throw away the collector's value? Or save them, and drink the Red Seal Bottles available to all? Here is one of the bottles in it's 'presigning stage'.

Bushie

RE: bourbon Fri, 06/20/03 8:05 AM (permalink)
                              quote:
                              Originally posted by Michael Stern

Maybe it was Pope's Cafe in Shelbyville? Great for meat-and-threes and pies, as I recall:

That's the place, Michael! Thanks!

Bushie

RE: bourbon Fri, 06/20/03 8:07 AM (permalink)
                                quote:

Talk about a dilemma- We bought three of the Special "Secretariat" Bottles of Maker's Mark, with the all black glass and gold lettering...done to honor the 30th aniversary of the Triple Crown performance... The thought was to have something special for a Derby Party next year, or later.. Well we took the bottles out to Keeneland Race Course on the day of the BlueGrass Stakes this Spring to have them autographed (in gold ink) by by the owner of the horse, the jockey who rode him in the big races, the President of Makers Mark, and the President of Keeneland Race Track ( it was a charitable special event with the signing part of a special day's program there). To make a long story short, the day turned out to be a 6 hour wait in line for the autographs...after which we we too worn down to enjoy the day of racing, so we went home. Now I have the three bottles ($40 each) but with them all signed I see them on Ebay at $100 or more apiece. My Dilemma-- Do I drink this stuff and throw away the collector's value? Or save them, and drink the Red Seal Bottles available to all?

Sell those suckers on ebay, Mr. Mayor, then use the proceeds to buy a whole case of the "red seal"!

Sundancer7

RE: bourbon Fri, 06/20/03 8:17 AM (permalink)
                                  Mr. Mayor: To hell with EBay, drink them now and regret tomorrow

Besides its the week end and Ebay is too much work

Paul E. Smith
                                  Knoxville, TN

Willly

• Total Posts: 396
                                    RE: bourbon Fri, 06/20/03 9:55 AM (permalink)
                                    I'm with the Mayor. Maker's Mark, but I do like a few cubes of clear ice.

CCJPO

• Total Posts: 497
                                      RE: bourbon Mon, 06/23/03 6:38 PM (permalink)
                                      Maker's Mark - Drink the 1st one, if you don't like it sell the 2nd one, keep the third just case you want to re-evaluate your first decision, or have friends over and let them enjoy.

BBQ Barney

• Total Posts: 161
                                        RE: bourbon Mon, 06/23/03 9:12 PM (permalink)
                                        I thought Woodford Reserve was nirvana until I bought a bottle of Buffalo Trace last month at the distillery in Frankfort, KY. Both are great sipping whiskeys!

mayor al

• Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                          • Roadfood Insider
                                          RE: bourbon Mon, 06/23/03 9:26 PM (permalink)
                                          BBQ I got a bottle of Woodford Reserve as a gift last year (political bribe) It is really goodstuff...but the price I see it selling for is a bit out of my normal range!

Ort. Carlton.

• Total Posts: 3589
                                            RE: bourbon Mon, 06/23/03 10:01 PM (permalink)
                                            Dearfolk,
                                            I'm not usually a Bourbon drinker, but I realllllly loved the late, lamented Maker's Mark 101, which was produced a while back. One ounce neat with a side of ice water would make me purr for hours, akin to my response from a slice of Mrs. Bonner's Sweet Tater Pie.
                                            Nostalgically, Ort. Carlton in Athens, Georgia.
                                            P. S. I found my Maker's Mark 101 in a teeny liquor store in downtown Nashville. There may still be some old stock out there someplace, especially in places like Franklin and Columbia, Tennessee....

BBQ Barney

• Total Posts: 161
                                              RE: bourbon Tue, 06/24/03 9:03 PM (permalink)
                                              Mayor----interesting that the only way I obtained a bottle of Woodford Reserve was from a big winner at the 2000 Ky Derby. I don't really know what they cost! The $20 I paid for the Buffalo Trace was OK, but not a weekly expenditure. These two bourbons, not available in DM IA, plus Churchill are two reasons I'm better off to live in Iowa.

pigface

• Total Posts: 406
                                                RE: bourbon Tue, 06/24/03 11:03 PM (permalink)
                                                Woodfords Reserve & Marker's Mark for Kentucky Bourbon
                                                Marker's Mark uses Winter Wheat in the Mash, replacing Rye
                                                that grain substition takes the "bite" out of thier end product.
                                                Makes an excellent Manhantan
                                                If you don't know what I mean by "Bite" buy a small pt of Rye Whiskey, That's BITE
                                                George Dickel for Tennessee Whiskey, far smoother than Jack's
                                                Dickel's Old #8 from Tullahoma, maybe 20 miles from Daniel's Old #7 in Lynchburg
                                                I've yet to try Knob Creek, but it's on the list ...
                                                All Neat, straight up

mayor al

• Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                                  • Roadfood Insider
                                                  RE: bourbon Wed, 06/25/03 12:27 AM (permalink)
                                                  Tullahoma TN is also the home of Grannie's Catfish Restaurant. A worthy place to go for fresh ( out of the pond on the property) whiskerfish.

We take visitors to the Jim Beam Distillery for a 'place to go' ...good AV tour of the place, nice gift shop, and just across the road from the Bernhiem Forest and Nature Preserve, one of Kentucky best flora display areas.

jpatweb

• Total Posts: 232
                                                    RE: bourbon Wed, 06/25/03 8:33 AM (permalink)
                                                    Are you sure it wasn't Mary Bobo's, which is right in Lynchburg?
                                                    quote:

quote:
                                                    Originally posted by Michael Stern

That's the place, Michael! Thanks!

Bushie

• Location: Round Rock, TX
                                                      RE: bourbon Wed, 06/25/03 9:37 AM (permalink)
                                                      quote:
                                                      Originally posted by jpatweb

No, I didn't eat in Lynchburg. It was a cold, drizzly day, and taking that tour and then not being able to buy a "sample" anywhere made me head back toward Nashville.

Next time I'm back, though, I'll be happy to try Mary Bobo's, if you recommend it.

jpatweb

• Total Posts: 232
                                                        • Location: Alexandria, VA
                                                        RE: bourbon Wed, 06/25/03 9:51 AM (permalink)
                                                        Sure, by all means check it out if you pass through that way again. It's Southern boarding house style, lunch only I think. I believe JD shows up as a backdrop in one or two of the dishes. Check out the early 90s edition of Roadfood for a write-up.
                                                        quote:

quote:
                                                        Originally posted by jpatweb

No, I didn't eat in Lynchburg. It was a cold, drizzly day, and taking that tour and then not being able to buy a "sample" anywhere made me head back toward Nashville.

Next time I'm back, though, I'll be happy to try Mary Bobo's, if you recommend it.

paul and louise

• Total Posts: 116
                                                          RE: bourbon Sun, 11/2/03 2:41 PM (permalink)
                                                          have any of you bourbon sippers tried "W. L. Weller" 19 yr. old?
                                                          we got a bottle for my in-laws for thier anniversary, but they are 600 miles away....and we wonder if it is as good as they say?
                                                          they seem pleased.....it had difficulty getting there from here because we found it was unlawful to ship booze in many states
                                                          [ours included] i wonder how the internet shops get around this regulation?

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
                                                            • Location: Rentiesville, OK
                                                            RE: bourbon Sun, 11/2/03 3:47 PM (permalink)
                                                            Makers Mark---neat---or occasioanally in a Sazjarac. But im really fan of good single malt IRISH,thought scotch is fine too! and KEEP the Secratariot ,Al and enjoy! Have friend with one bottle wjo wishes hed gotten more.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 1234 > | Showing page 1 of 4, messages 1 to 30 of 95

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com