The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

bradford house

newwavemichael

• Total Posts: 12
bradford house Thu, 11/22/07 9:20 AM (permalink)
does anyone remember a discount retailer called grants it was a regional chain in new york atleast that had a place called the bradford house attached to it,very luncheonette like,they had the creamiest cole slaw and my mom loved it,so she would take us every couple of weeks,I also remember the hot dogs and burgers were huge,another long lost place since the 70's

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15062
    • Roadfood Insider
    RE: bradford house Thu, 11/22/07 9:54 AM (permalink)
    W T Grants was a national chain of retail stores somewhat like Woolworths and Newberry's. Bradford was the 'house brand' for their own merchendise. There were Bradford Electronics of all types, I even had a Bradford .22 rifle for awhile. Many of the Grants stores had a food counter/lunchonette inside the store. They merged or went out of business sometime in the late '60's or early 70's. In Jeffersonville, IN the Grants store is now a Big-Lots, but the strip mall it is in is still labeled Grant's Plaza.

Sundancer7

RE: bradford house Thu, 11/22/07 10:03 AM (permalink)
      My wife's first job out of high school before she became a government employee was at Grants. They were in Knoxville and they had a very nice lunch counter with the usual. She did not work at the lunch counter but was in the marketing department.

I do not recall how many years ago they left Knoxville but it has to be at least 50???

Paul E. Smith
      Knoxville, TN

Big Frank

• Total Posts: 134
        RE: bradford house Thu, 11/22/07 10:09 AM (permalink)
        I used to love the Chocolate Ice Cream soda's at the lunch counter in Grants.

brittneal

• Total Posts: 1265
          RE: bradford house Thu, 11/22/07 11:04 AM (permalink)
          There wasa a Grant's in Uptown Elmhurst in the 60's. the kids just called it the dime store. I remember a lunch counter but when we had cash the palce accross the street had the best IB and got it all.
          britt

rmcielwain

• Total Posts: 607
            RE: bradford house Fri, 11/23/07 1:39 PM (permalink)

Back when I first moved to NW Florida in 1967, Grant's was one of the "Big 3"
            department stores along with Gibson's & Gaylord's...all three were in Panama
            City with the Grant's store on 15th Street in the Panama Plaza along with A&P
            & SupeRx Drug Store.

There was also a "Grant City" (smaller version) which opened in nearby Marianna
            in the mid-'70s - when the chain went under, that store converted to a Woolworth.

As mentioned in another post, Bradford House's "kiddy mascots" were Bucky &
            Becky Bradford - still have one of the hand puppets with a menu printed on it
            & the kids could get 99c meal deals. When the Panama City store closed, a
            local businessman opened 2 or 3 restaurants with the "Bob's Bradford House" name,
            but they only lasted for a few years.

enginecapt

• Total Posts: 3486
              RE: bradford house Fri, 11/23/07 2:10 PM (permalink)
              I liked their onion rings. The Grants in my hometown closed a few years after building a huge new store that was the anchor store for a new shopping plaza. It's now a K-Mart, and I have no idea if the cafe part is still in operation. I don't darken K-Mart doors.

Also in that plaza, the Alpha-beta supermarket is now a Mexican grocery. The Bank of America is now an auto parts store, and the Tastee-Freeze is now a bank.

Go figyuh.

cd348

• Total Posts: 67
                RE: bradford house Fri, 11/23/07 2:20 PM (permalink)
                I remember Grant's very well. I was stationed at Vance AFB in Enid Oklahoma in 1967. I was an A1C and made 85.00 a month base pay. The luch counter in the Grant's there offered an all you can eat fried chicken special on Saturdays. All you could eat for 99 cents. It was a big outing for my small family.

ces1948

• Total Posts: 1499
                  RE: bradford house Fri, 11/23/07 8:46 PM (permalink)
                  I'm pretty sure I purchased my first color tv at Grants. It was in Atlanta in the mid-seventies and the Grants was large like a k-mart.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                    • No New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                    • Read Message
                    • Post New Thread
                    • Reply to message
                    • Post New Poll
                    • Submit Vote
                    • Post reward post
                    • Delete my own posts
                    • Delete my own threads
                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com