The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

 breakfast places in LA

Author Message
The Fabulous Moolah

  • Total Posts: 6
  • Joined: 10/5/2003
  • Location: New York, NY
breakfast places in LA Tue, 11/11/03 5:02 PM (permalink)
I realize that LA is a huge sprawl of a city but I would like to hear some recommendations on excellent brunch/breakfast places.
I have already checked out Toast which is on 3rd Street and really liked it.
Would like to hear what others think about starting the day off right with a great breakfast in Los Angeles.

 
#1
    RedPatti

    • Total Posts: 135
    • Joined: 10/7/2003
    • Location: Northridge, CA
    RE: breakfast places in LA Tue, 11/11/03 6:19 PM (permalink)
    Toast is a wonderful restaurant just blocks from my office. They even have birthday cake. Big yellow cake with birthday frosting. Great for that surprise revelation by your dining companion that "today" is their birthday.

    Sagebrush Cantina in Calabasas has the most fabulous Sunday Brunch with great hot links, bbq, baron of beef, ham and seafood and on and on.

    Enjoy all the flavorful places Los Angeles and its surrounding neighborhoods have to offer.
     
    #2
      EliseT

      • Total Posts: 2849
      • Joined: 7/11/2001
      • Location: L.A, CA
      RE: breakfast places in LA Wed, 11/12/03 5:20 AM (permalink)
      John O'Groats on Pico in West Los Angeles

      Dinah's on Centinela, also in West LA, for giant apple pancakes

      Belle Epoque on Hillhurst in Los Feliz for wonderful homemade bread and chicken sausages, and a perfectly done Eggs Benedict.

      The Queen Mary in Long Beach has the best Sunday brunch ever.

      In the South Bay, the Second Street Cafe (guess where?) and the Backburner cafe (Hermosa Ave near Pier Ave) have outstanding pancakes and egg dishes.

      I'm still searching for anything memorable in my new hometown of Burbank
       
      #3
        i95

        • Total Posts: 2500
        • Joined: 7/14/2003
        • Location: Sin City, VA
        RE: breakfast places in LA Wed, 11/12/03 6:57 AM (permalink)
        Don't forget Beverly Hills' top-notch Jewish deli, Nate 'n' Al's on North Beverly Drive! An excellent breakfast stop featuring scrumptious blintzes !!
         
        #4
          Willly

          • Total Posts: 396
          • Joined: 7/26/2002
          • Location: Westport, CT
          RE: breakfast places in LA Wed, 11/12/03 9:31 AM (permalink)
          The Original Pantry is another place to think about. Make sure to order the sourdough toast -- It's grilled in bacon fat.
           
          #5
            spadoman

            • Total Posts: 228
            • Joined: 9/22/2003
            • Location: St. Paul, MN
            RE: breakfast places in LA Wed, 11/12/03 3:23 PM (permalink)
            My favorites are:
            Snug Harbor, on Wilshire, close to Santa Monica, maybe in SM (not sure exactly, but i am sure it's on Wilshire) Try the fried meat loaf and eggs.

            Ocean Diner, Aviation a block off of PCH. Great alternative stuff like brocolli omelettes and sides like brown rice. Combination of health food and other stuff, great atmosphere.

            Joe's Diner, PCH and Carnelian, redodndo Beach. I like the John Wayne, a great ranchero sauce over this dish. Good bisquits and gravy too.

            I always thought they served good food with variety for breeakfast at Jerry's deli, numerous locations and Cantors, Isn't that on Fairfax up near Melrose?

            Makes me want to be there for breakfast today!!! It's snowing like crazy and a cold north wind is blowing here in Minnesota.
             
            #6
              EdSails

              • Total Posts: 3559
              • Joined: 5/9/2003
              • Location: Mission Viejo, CA
              RE: breakfast places in LA Wed, 11/12/03 3:48 PM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by spadoman



              Joe's Diner, PCH and Carnelian, redodndo Beach. I like the John Wayne, a great ranchero sauce over this dish. Good bisquits and gravy too.



              Joe's (Eat at Joe's!) has great biscuits and gravy and chicken fried steaks. The communal dining tables are an experience. It is a great breakfast place.
              My other favorite breakfast place near there is the Ragin' Cajun, on Pier Ave. in Hermosa Beach. Nothing like good strong coffee, fresh beignets out of the fryer and a crawfish etoufee omlette to start the day.
               
              #7
                spadoman

                • Total Posts: 228
                • Joined: 9/22/2003
                • Location: St. Paul, MN
                RE: breakfast places in LA Wed, 11/12/03 5:01 PM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by clothier

                quote:
                Originally posted by spadoman

                My favorites are:


                Makes me want to be there for breakfast today!!! It's snowing like crazy and a cold north wind is blowing here in Minnesota.


                How much do you have on the ground? My folks in Petosky have 6 inches so far today, and are supposed to get somewhere between another 10 or 12.


                Geez, none yet where I am, a lot up North inland of Lake Superior.
                Petosky??!! I got friends from up that way in Traverse City and Petosky. But it's time for me to head South. leaving for New Mexico next Sunday. Be back by Christmas for some Ice fishing and snowshoeing.
                 
                #8
                  LApalms

                  • Total Posts: 9
                  • Joined: 11/25/2003
                  • Location: Redondo Beach, CA
                  RE: breakfast places in LA Tue, 11/25/03 11:45 PM (permalink)
                  The ORIGINAL PANCAKE HOUSE in Redondo beach, Pacific Coast Hiway and Palos Verdes. The greatest pancakes in the world. They are out of Oregon, I believe, and everything is dreamy top notch. fINEST BUTTER, YEASTY PANCAKES WITH THE "GERMAN aPPLE" THE BEST. oVEN PUFFED. And bacon is THICK and well done. (Where's the cap-lock)
                   
                  #9
                    EliseT

                    • Total Posts: 2849
                    • Joined: 7/11/2001
                    • Location: L.A, CA
                    RE: breakfast places in LA Wed, 11/26/03 4:02 AM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by EdSails

                    quote:
                    Originally posted by spadoman



                    Joe's Diner, PCH and Carnelian, redodndo Beach. I like the John Wayne, a great ranchero sauce over this dish. Good bisquits and gravy too.



                    Joe's (Eat at Joe's!) has great biscuits and gravy and chicken fried steaks. The communal dining tables are an experience. It is a great breakfast place.
                    My other favorite breakfast place near there is the Ragin' Cajun, on Pier Ave. in Hermosa Beach. Nothing like good strong coffee, fresh beignets out of the fryer and a crawfish etoufee omlette to start the day.



                    I didn't know they did breakfast at Ragin' Cajun! Cool!

                     
                    #10
                      Sundancer7

                      RE: breakfast places in LA Wed, 11/26/03 9:48 AM (permalink)
                      What is the name of the chicken and waffle place. I ate there and it was great

                      Paul E. Smith
                      Knoxville, TN
                       
                      #11
                        signman

                        • Total Posts: 1743
                        • Joined: 10/23/2000
                        • Location: Baltimore, MD
                        RE: breakfast places in LA Wed, 11/26/03 11:10 PM (permalink)
                        Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles. There are several locations I think. Try the one on Gower just north of Hollywood Blvd.
                         
                        #12
                          LApalms

                          • Total Posts: 9
                          • Joined: 11/25/2003
                          • Location: Redondo Beach, CA
                          RE: breakfast places in LA Thu, 11/27/03 8:19 PM (permalink)
                          ROSCOE'S Chicken and Waffles!
                          The greatest. Huell Howser did an entire "California's Gold" show on Roscoes alone!
                           
                          #13
                            flattop5

                            • Total Posts: 113
                            • Joined: 12/17/2001
                            • Location: Ridgefield/Redding/W, CT
                            • Roadfood Insider
                            RE: breakfast places in LA Fri, 11/28/03 11:05 AM (permalink)
                            Question: is Duke's still open? Haven't been to LA in over 10 years, but I used to love the Hangtown Fry.
                             
                            #14
                              NAAMikey

                              • Total Posts: 193
                              • Joined: 8/14/2005
                              • Location: Hopewell Junction, NY
                              RE: breakfast places in LA Mon, 09/5/05 10:22 PM (permalink)
                              Another vote for Joe's on PCH..Also does anyone know if Unky Roy's is still in business?..What about The Plush Horse Inn for bangers and eggs? The Wooden Shoe on PCH in Riviera Village?...Also in the Village was Nancy's Food Cellar. And who can forget "The Kettle" in Manhatten Beach...absolutley the WORST coffee, but the Ouefs Pain Perdu made up for it!!!!!
                              Mike
                               
                              #15
                                EliseT

                                • Total Posts: 2849
                                • Joined: 7/11/2001
                                • Location: L.A, CA
                                RE: breakfast places in LA Tue, 09/6/05 3:07 AM (permalink)
                                quote:
                                Originally posted by NAAMikey

                                Another vote for Joe's on PCH..Also does anyone know if Unky Roy's is still in business?..What about The Plush Horse Inn for bangers and eggs? The Wooden Shoe on PCH in Riviera Village?...Also in the Village was Nancy's Food Cellar. And who can forget "The Kettle" in Manhatten Beach...absolutley the WORST coffee, but the Ouefs Pain Perdu made up for it!!!!!
                                Mike


                                Unky Roys unfortunately closed down a few years ago. The Plush Horse Inn is long gone, and I'm not sure the Wooden Shoe is still open either. At least the kettle is still there.

                                Now the best places in the South Bay are the 2nd Street cafe, on 2nd and the Strand, and the Backburner Cafe in Hermosa.
                                 
                                #16
                                  SWOhioGuy

                                  • Total Posts: 58
                                  • Joined: 8/31/2005
                                  • Location: Dayton, OH
                                  RE: breakfast places in LA Tue, 09/6/05 8:19 AM (permalink)
                                  quote:
                                  Originally posted by EliseT

                                  quote:
                                  Originally posted by NAAMikey

                                  Another vote for Joe's on PCH..Also does anyone know if Unky Roy's is still in business?..What about The Plush Horse Inn for bangers and eggs? The Wooden Shoe on PCH in Riviera Village?...Also in the Village was Nancy's Food Cellar. And who can forget "The Kettle" in Manhatten Beach...absolutley the WORST coffee, but the Ouefs Pain Perdu made up for it!!!!!
                                  Mike


                                  Unky Roys unfortunately closed down a few years ago. The Plush Horse Inn is long gone, and I'm not sure the Wooden Shoe is still open either. At least the kettle is still there.

                                  Now the best places in the South Bay are the 2nd Street cafe, on 2nd and the Strand, and the Backburner Cafe in Hermosa.



                                  Add the Backburner Cafe to the casualty list - as of about April this year, it's a second Joe's location. I'll miss their steel-cut oatmeal, and their chili-cheese omelettes.

                                  My favorite South Bay breakfasts:

                                  1. Ocean Diner, Aviation, a few blocks from PCH. On-premises baking. http://www.oceandiner.com/

                                  2. Good Stuff, especially the one on the Hermosa Strand. http://www.eatgoodstuff.com/

                                  3. Yeah, Joe's, definitely! The John Wayne Special. Carnelian and PCH.

                                  4. The Beach Hut. Hermosa Ave, just north of Pier. You haven't lived until you've had Spam and eggs, Hawaiian style.

                                  5. Martha's 22nd St Grill, on, I think, 22nd St, Hermosa (last block before the sand). Many cool variations on eggs benny, fresh-squeezed OJ, lotta outside seating. The most yuppie scene of this list, though.... http://www.foodnow.tv/marthas.html

                                  6. CJ's Pantry, Catalina, Redondo Beach. http://www.foodnow.tv/cjs.html

                                  What's wonderful about most of the beach places is the abundance of healthy options - egg whites scrambled with veggies, turkey, even pasta; brown rice; fish, etc. The options are available, but not in your face. A good way to repent for yesterday's John Wayne Special....

                                  And...a bit inland (just a few miles, though, tops), the Country Touch Cafe, on 190th in Torrance, near the Mobil refinery. Wonderful service, atmosphere, and food. Qualifies as roadfood more than these others, by virtue of its distance from the beach. Almost always a line of locals for weekend breakfast. Try the eggs and Portuguese sausage, with rice. Wonderful apple dumplings.

                                  -SWOG

                                   
                                  #17
                                    Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

                                    Jump to:

                                    Current active users

                                    There are 0 members and 1 guests.

                                    Icon Legend and Permission

                                    • New Messages
                                    • No New Messages
                                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                                    • Read Message
                                    • Post New Thread
                                    • Reply to message
                                    • Post New Poll
                                    • Submit Vote
                                    • Post reward post
                                    • Delete my own posts
                                    • Delete my own threads
                                    • Rate post

                                    2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com