business license

Author
adams
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
2013/03/20 21:53:47 (permalink)

business license

do i need a business license or a permit for every city i work in? i have already set up the name as a LLC. hope somebody can help me with this.

8 Replies Related Threads

djdawg
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 439
    Re:business license 2013/03/20 22:32:18 (permalink)
    How many different cities are you working in adams?  I'm not sure about NC but in my state a health dept permit for the county will cover me wherever I go within said county to do business....not sure about your county.  And now that I think about it, the new corporate stuff I do is technically in another city (or it actually might be out of city limits...not sure...but for the sake of argument I'll say a different city)  but I think a business license is based on the physical/mailing address of my business, not the locations that I work at....probably the same for you.
    Now if you are talking about cities in another state or county, then that's a different story..... 
    chefbuba
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2045
    Re:business license 2013/03/21 00:16:37 (permalink)
    A business license has nothing to do with the mailing address of your business, and everything to do with where you conduct your business.
    If your mailing address is in SeaTac, and your sling dogs in Bham.......what city should you be licensed in??????
    djdawg
    Cheeseburger
    Re:business license 2013/03/21 03:25:50 (permalink)
    chefbuba

A business license has nothing to do with the mailing address of your business, and everything to do with where you conduct your business.
    If your mailing address is in SeaTac, and your sling dogs in Bham.......what city should you be licensed in??????

How do you know that Buba?  Any confirmation on that?  I don't know if that's true....a point could be made that I "conduct" business at my physical address...I take a phone call from a client, confirm that I'll be serving dogs for them, etc.....at any rate, no one from any city licensing department is going to drive around following food carts to make sure they are licensed in every little, piddly town that you sell a can of coke in....
    FriedTater
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 415
    Re:business license 2013/03/21 07:45:15 (permalink)
    I have to have a business license in the town I live in. After 14 years in this business, I have only once had to buy a city license in another city. Of course, I do events, so I reckon the licenses are under the events name, don`t know, don`t care as I`ve never been appoached on this matter.

Lost Nation
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 108
    Re:business license 2013/03/21 08:30:37 (permalink)
    Things vary from state to state, county to county and town to town.

In Vermont I sell mostly BBQ but also hot dogs fron a trailer that  is permanently parked from May till November. I also cater every weekend (I have 8 weddings booked for this summer).

My state health department requires 2 permits. 1 is for catering or vending anywhere in the state. The other is to use my home, inspected kitchen to prepare food for catering and vending and as a wash station. Together these are around $150 and run from May till May.

My other permit is from my town for the privilege of operating a business in the town. I think this permit is around $170 per year.

When I competed in KCBS contests and vended most organizers made arrangements with health departments for temporary licenses with the towns or health department.

So I guess it all depends on your state and town. Here in Vermont the the permitting is pretty simple. Its a small state (600K) with our largest town with only 38K.
    chefbuba
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2045
    Re:business license 2013/03/21 11:21:47 (permalink)
    djdawg

chefbuba

How do you know that Buba?  Any confirmation on that?  I don't know if that's true....a point could be made that I "conduct" business at my physical address...I take a phone call from a client, confirm that I'll be serving dogs for them, etc.....at any rate, no one from any city licensing department is going to drive around following food carts to make sure they are licensed in every little, piddly town that you sell a can of coke in....

Where you take phone calls or receive your mail is unimportant. My mailing address is in Oregon, (I'm on the border) I live in one town in WA, the food trailer is in another.
    My business license is for the town that the trailer works in, where the product is being sold, where dollars change hands, not where I get my phone calls or certainly not in Oregon where I receive my business mail.
    And your right, most areas, especially the more rural areas are not going to be checking on hot dog carts for their business licenses, but don't get caught without a health permit.

adams
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re:business license 2013/03/21 19:51:07 (permalink)
    yea thats what i am wanting to do is alot of events such as music festivals ,etc.  i read that you have to get a special events permit, is that true?
    djdawg
    Cheeseburger
    Re:business license 2013/03/21 22:59:24 (permalink)
    So true chef!  Yeah, I wouldn't mess around with the health dept permits either....and your situation with dual states is something unique for sure....as I've thought about this further, my business license is from the city that I do some work in and the other days I'm outside of city limits...any city actually.  But of course the health dept permit covers me for the whole county. 

chefbuba

djdawg

chefbuba

Where you take phone calls or receive your mail is unimportant. My mailing address is in Oregon, (I'm on the border) I live in one town in WA, the food trailer is in another.
    My business license is for the town that the trailer works in, where the product is being sold, where dollars change hands, not where I get my phone calls or certainly not in Oregon where I receive my business mail.
    And your right, most areas, especially the more rural areas are not going to be checking on hot dog carts for their business licenses, but don't get caught without a health permit.

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1