cherry tomato - help

Author
holdem
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 415
2010/08/16 17:27:59 (permalink)

cherry tomato - help

Well we planted 2 cherry tomato plants and we are up to our ears in cherry tomato's. Looking for any and all ideas and recipes to use them. Thanks.

12 Replies Related Threads

catosaurus
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 293
    Re:cherry tomato - help 2010/08/16 17:55:46 (permalink)
    Send 'em to me!
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10272
    Re:cherry tomato - help 2010/08/16 18:03:02 (permalink)
    1. Roast 'em with EVOO & Garlic, toss with pasta
    2. Can be frozen after Roasting
    3. Slice in half, scoop out and stuff with Guacamole or crumbled blue cheese.
    4. Cut them in half, saute them with a little olive oil, garlic, and various colors of peppers and cooked Italian Sausage toss onto/into pasta.
    5. Make Ketchup with them.
    6. Roast them whole until caramelized, put on top of a small piece of puff pastry for a tomato tart. You can extend this recipe with basil, chilis, caramelized onions, etc. added on top of the tomato before baking the pastry. I use pre-formed frozen puff pastry shells.
    tsores
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 655
    Re:cherry tomato - help 2010/08/16 18:30:15 (permalink)
    Eat 'em.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    Re:cherry tomato - help 2010/08/16 21:13:03 (permalink)
    Foodbme has offered some good recipes, but tsores has the right idea, eat 'em right off the vine while they are still sun warmed and you will have neared nirvana.

Cheers, John 
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:cherry tomato - help 2010/08/17 00:01:47 (permalink)
    Any kind of Tomatoes are hard to raise out here in the desert and I find I can get good quality produce at reasonable prices at Sprouts, a natural foods chain.
    http://sprouts.com/home.php

I envy those of you who can grow your own.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18464
    Re:cherry tomato - help 2010/08/17 00:19:17 (permalink)
    I like to halve cherry tomatoes and saute them with garlic and olive oil, then add a chiffonade of fresh basil and cooked linguine and toss to coat the pasta.
    gostillerz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 220
    Re:cherry tomato - help 2010/08/17 00:43:29 (permalink)
    I like this salad one from Jamie Oliver. It's very good, but I like how he lists the recipe. I never thought to salt the tomatoes beforehand.

http://www.foodnetwork.co...alad-recipe/index.html

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:cherry tomato - help 2010/08/17 00:52:37 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

I like to halve cherry tomatoes and saute them with garlic and olive oil, then add a chiffonade of fresh basil and cooked linguine and toss to coat the pasta.

There you go again---Using them fancy words that I gotta look up:
    chiffonade  (ˌʃɪfəˈnɑːd) n finely shredded leaf vegetables used as a base for a dish or as a garnish

stricken_detective
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2330
    Re:cherry tomato - help 2010/08/17 18:28:24 (permalink)
    Caprese Kabobs.

Stuffed BLT Bites.

Paula Deen's Corn, Tomato, Avocado salad.
    rumaki
    • Total Posts : 1051
    Re:cherry tomato - help 2010/08/17 18:40:46 (permalink)
    We make the equivalent of Michael Hoffman's pasta recipe frequently, and love it.  Another good option is a cherry tomato and couscous salad, like this one:

http://www.bigoven.com/recipe/145003/couscous-and-cherry-tomato-salad-with-basil
    pimple2
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 90
    Re:cherry tomato - help 2010/08/29 23:25:05 (permalink)
    re: Roasting w/Olive Oil & Garlic

Place cherry tomatoes in 1 layer on double heavy duty foil laid over quarter or 1/2 sheet pan, pizza pan etc. [large surface area]. Pop surface of each with knife point (if inclined) or don't. Scatter peeled garlic cloves, according to taste. Very light sprinkle of sea salt [nice mineral depth].

VERY VERY GENEROUS portion, like 1-2 cups of good virgin olive oil,  goes on next & into 475F oven for 1-1.5 hours until juices have merged into the oil and a golden garlicky nectar remains. THAT IS THE REASON WHY YOU NEED LOTS OF OLIVE OIL, to create this delicious pool.

Note that the tomato juices will have "dried up" & amalgamated themselves with the oil, which which have turned CLEAR & GOLD. The tops of the toms will have tiny very dark, almost black round zones by this time. Cherry toms are 8-10 % solids DRY MASS; you will have gotten them down to 30-20% dry in the oil & the oven.

Take them out--- great hot or warm with a mere sprinkling of imported PECORINO ROMANO cheese. Cheaper & better for this than Parmesan.

Use outdoor oven like a turkey roaster if indoors hot, and process cherry toms. plum toms & beefsteaks this way as well.

Eat with hot, crusty breads or use as quick pizza topping. Excellent with fresh mozzarella balls.

I made some this Friday  and they were deeply appreciated. Good bread & a salad, and you have a wonderful meal + leftovers.

Kilograms of raw tomatoes will vanish in an instant down the hatch or be consolidated in a small, delicious volume  & can be be frozen for future. Not much work.

Take off the FOIL & clean-up is easy. You can process multiple batches IN the same foil wrapped baking pan in an outdoor oven, notwithstanding the caramelization in each batch. All the better!!
    boyardee65
    • Total Posts : 1460
    Re:cherry tomato - help 2010/08/30 04:40:49 (permalink)
    Foodbme

Any kind of Tomatoes are hard to raise out here in the desert and I find I can get good quality produce at reasonable prices at Sprouts, a natural foods chain.
    http://sprouts.com/home.php

I envy those of you who can grow your own.

I had the same problem when I lived in Wickenburg. I found that smaller varieties did better than larger ones. Plum, yellow pear, and grape tomatoes did well as long as I ran the misters on them through the hottest part of the day. The heat makes the blooms wilt before setting so, no fruit.

Now for a few recipes: cut in half and scoop out the seeds, cut out a round of mozzarella with a melon baller. Stuff the tomato with a whole basil leaf and then the Mozz. Drizzle with a little EVOO and Balsamic vinegar. Finish  with a grinding of sea salt and fresh ground black pepper. This is a nice presentation for an appetizer tray at a party. 

Leave whole and skewer. EVOO, S.&P. broil over a hot BBQ and enjoy with a steak. Works well with any kabob as long as you do them on their own so as not to overcook them.

I like to stuff them with tuna salad and top them with grated cheddar. Under the broiler for 2 minutes or til brown. Kind of like a tuna melt without the bread. (Actually, this works for almost any seafood salad.) Play around with it.

Straight out of the garden is my favorite way to consume. I take a shaker of sea salt out the garden with me. For a little variety I will pick a basil leaf or two and take a bite of each. YUM!!!  Dill too.

You can cut them in half and put them in a cellulose air filter and sun dry them for use in the winter. Don't allow them to get brittle though. You want about 3-5 % water content and then store them in the freezer in a Vac Pac bag.

Happy eating.

David O.

p. s. you can pickle the green ones at the end of the season if you still have a lot on the vine when the first frost comes.

post edited by boyardee65 - 2010/08/30 04:47:44
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1