chicago to traverse city michigan

Author
johnnyb62
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 22
2011/07/14 18:49:07 (permalink)

chicago to traverse city michigan

hi leaving next week for Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore then will be staying in Traverse City for a couple days any hot spots we should try. thanks in advance.
post edited by johnnyb62 - 2011/07/14 20:44:47

11 Replies Related Threads

Sfreader
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 503
    Re:chicago to traverse city michigan 2011/07/15 08:42:34 (permalink)
    I've heard a lot of good things about Mackinaw Brewing Company in Traverse City.
    edboogie
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 9
    Re:chicago to traverse city michigan 2011/07/15 09:44:11 (permalink)
    I'm a big fan of Mackinaw brewing.  Their beer has improved and is really good now.  They have a smoker and smoke their ribs/brisket/pork in house.  If you like New Orleans food, Phils on Front, right down the road is run by a guy who was a chef at Commanders Palace.  The menu changes every day, but it is pretty good.  Right across the street is Amical, a french type bistro, also good.  Have had two excellent meals at Hannah Bistro also downtown. 
    Rocky Enfield
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 71
    Re:chicago to traverse city michigan 2011/07/15 10:05:21 (permalink)
    Either on your way to Traverse or on your way back to Chicago be sure to stop in New Buffalo, Mi and go to Redamak's.  It is an absolute legend in the area and serve GREAT hamburgers.  So good, in fact, that my family drives an hour and 15 minutes just to go to Redamak's!
    WarmBeer
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 77
    Re:chicago to traverse city michigan 2011/07/15 10:53:21 (permalink)
    If your route goes thru Grand Rapids there are 2 places I crave for when I lived there in the 80's.
    Yesterdog in East Grand Rapids gets some national press.  They had their dogs custom made without sulfites and use very finely grated cheddar which is fantastic.  Also the Beltline Bar for a wet burrito.  Those Hollander's are tight with their cash, so there were several excellent Mexican places there back then with quite reasonable prices.
    And if you visit the Gerald R Ford museum be sure to tour the hallway where they shoot golf balls at you 
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7012
    Re:chicago to traverse city michigan 2011/07/15 18:42:38 (permalink)
    edboogie

I'm a big fan of Mackinaw brewing.  Their beer has improved and is really good now.  They have a smoker and smoke their ribs/brisket/pork in house.  If you like New Orleans food, Phils on Front, right down the road is run by a guy who was a chef at Commanders Palace.  The menu changes every day, but it is pretty good.  Right across the street is Amical, a french type bistro, also good.  Have had two excellent meals at Hannah Bistro also downtown. 

If this is the same Phil that had a restaurant called Windows overlooking Grand Traverse Bay, his food is absolutely fantastic and I would highly recommend Phils on Front.
    edboogie
    Junior Burger
    Re:chicago to traverse city michigan 2011/07/15 23:11:16 (permalink)
    Yep, same guy.  His food at Windows was out of this world. 
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7012
    Re:chicago to traverse city michigan 2011/07/16 21:35:23 (permalink)
    OK johnnyb62.  You are obligated to go to Phils on Front.  Period.  Tell Phil that Lisa, the former chef at the Trillium says she misses his cuisine! 
    Please eat there.  You will NOT be disappointed.
    mascot
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re:chicago to traverse city michigan 2011/07/18 20:41:07 (permalink)
    As we were passing through Traverse City last week looking for breakfast we spotted the Happy Hog Cafe. It was certainly worth the trouble of making a U turn. A small place with good service and good value. But the Pecan rolls stole the show. The wife and I made the mistake of each ordering one. What a great mistake to make. Delicious and huge. We both took half with us in a box, still tasted great that afternoon.
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    Re:chicago to traverse city michigan 2011/07/19 12:56:22 (permalink)
    This may be to early in to your travels to make it a good stop, but we stumbled across it when going from Chicago to Northern MI a couple of years ago.

http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/Overview/6737/carlsons-drivein

I really liked the root beer!
    JDAStonewall
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 52
    Re:chicago to traverse city michigan 2011/07/22 01:08:52 (permalink)
    My favorite place in TC is The Omelette Shoppe. They have incredible breakfasts and I have never had anything that wasn’t great. I have been to both locations and each is good.  Blue Tractor Cook Shop is also very good. They specialize in using fresh local ingredients.  Don’t forget to stop at The Cherry Hut in Beulah and get a piece of cherry pie. The Hut has other food but I can’t testify to whether it is good or not since I only ever eat the pie.
    Another place in New Buffalo to stop at along with Redamaks is Pierre Anne Creperie. They have the best crepes this side of the Atlantic, both sweet and savory. They also have great soups and salads.
    edboogie
    Junior Burger
    Re:chicago to traverse city michigan 2011/07/22 09:20:44 (permalink)
    I went to the Happy Hog once.  The ham was very good, but the pulled pork sandwich was so acidic it was terrible. 

And I can give a shout out to the Blue Tractor also.  Have eaten there several tiems. 
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1