cleaning grill?

Author
trolleymass
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 55
2009/01/01 21:32:30 (permalink)

cleaning grill?

hi. i have a professional stainless steel grill and it is getting really dirty and black and i was wondering if one of you "vets" could give me a trick or 2 on how to keep it clean. normal scrubbing doesnt seem to work...someone told me to use lemon juice and water mixture, but that isnt working and i tried to use an oven cleaner and that didnt work so im not sure what to do...

also, should i be using oil on the grill on a daily basis once i finish? thanx....

14 Replies Related Threads

boyardee65
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1460
    Re:cleaning grill? 2009/01/02 02:33:20 (permalink)
     I would not use any cleanser on it as you will strip away the seasoning. I would either scrape it with a razor scraper and wipe with an oiled cloth or you can  get grill bricks at Costco. These are used in almost every kitchen that I have ever worked in including the one I work at now. We clean the grill while it is hot. Carefully pour a few tablespoons of vegetable on to the surface and with a circular motion scrub the grill. The black stuff will come up with a little elbow grease. Scrape with a dough scraper or large putty knife. Wipe with lightly oiled cloth and you are done.

David O.
    PopsDogHouse
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 779
    Re:cleaning grill? 2009/01/02 13:39:54 (permalink)
    Grill screens work very well also.  Here's a link, but you can get them in many places.

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/grill-screen-20-pk/579200.html
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5071
    Re:cleaning grill? 2009/01/02 14:13:08 (permalink)
    I've seen demonstrations of that new BBQ grill cleaning tool that uses steam to clean the grills.
    It has a brush attached and works very well. Baked on stuff came right off.
    Home Depot, Lowe's and BBQ's Galore should all have this item.
    dtortor1
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 334
    Re:cleaning grill? 2009/01/04 22:22:44 (permalink)
    The trailer that I just bought is pretty clean but the 36" griddle has some spots that look like they've been scraped and most hasn't. i want to start fresh on it and season it myself.

The woman I bought it from said to get it hot, splash some pickle juice on it, and use the grill brick.

Will this get most of the caked on stuff off? I don't want to use chemicals at all. I plan to cook a lot of bacon then burgers on it when I'm done, to give it a nice greasy coat.

After that what should I use to clean it off? Just get the grease off? Any other recommendations for seasoning it? I love cast iron and know how to season it but this is new to me! I know how important it is though....

Thanks!

Dom
    boyardee65
    Re:cleaning grill? 2009/01/05 04:17:32 (permalink)
      Again, I will reiterate. Do NOT put any acidic substance on the grill!!! You will be able to get it clean it very well using only a grill brick and maybe a stainless steel scrubby (without soap.) Grill bricks are designed to get all of that black stuff off. It takes a lot of hard work to get it done the first time but cleanup after that is easier. I clean a 7 foot flat top grill everyday at my job. I only use a scraper, steel scrubby, grill brick, and oil. I can get a mirror shine every night regardless of how dirty with cooked on food.

Seasoning the grill is the same process as a cast iron skillet. Heat the grill to medium high heat and then add oil. Let cook for an hour while making sure that the grill does not have any dry spots. Turn off heat and let cool for 10 minutes. Carefully scrape excess oil with dough scraper and then wipe with clean dry cloth. No need to add more oil at this point.

When turning on the grill, be sure to wipe with a clean dry cloth. It might feel a little tacky but that is ok. Just put on a little clean oil and wipe with a towel. Make sure that you are up to temp before you try to cook anything on it. Typically, it takes about 30 minutes for it to come up to cooking temp. If you have two burners, you might want to turn one on to med-high and the other to med-low or off so as to have a holding place for already cooked foods.

Just My Humble Opinion (JMHO)

David O.
    dtortor1
    Cheeseburger
    Re:cleaning grill? 2009/01/05 14:07:52 (permalink)
    Ok, so I use the grill brick to get it clean initially, I figure by "scrubby" you just mean one of those big masses of stainless steel shaped like a sponge?

Should I put the grill on high while I'm seasoning? Do i want the oil almost smoking like when seasoning cast iron?

Then what is a dough scraper?

Thank you for your help!

Dom
    boyardee65
    Re:cleaning grill? 2009/01/06 02:52:05 (permalink)
      Ok. so you really new to this grill thing. Please re-read my last post regarding the temp when seasoning. The oil will smoke a little when you add it to the grill but not excessively.
     "Yes" to your question about the scrubby.
      A dough scraper is a stainless steel flat scraper about  3 inches high and 4 1/2 inches long. It usually has a wooden handle or a plastic one. I recommend the wooden handle as it will not melt with the heat of the grill.
     Use the grill brick every time you clean the grill. I believe I covered that process in a previous post.
     You say that you have a "professional" grill. What are the dimensions? What is the gauge of the surface? What is the heating element? Most "professional" grills are gas fired which requires you to have some kind of hood vent to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning when using indoors. You can eliminate this problem by using it only outdoors.

Good Luck, david O.

dtortor1
    Cheeseburger
    Re:cleaning grill? 2009/01/06 13:38:37 (permalink)
    It is a three burner propane, I have a hood and fire suppression system. I'm not sure of the brand right now... here is a pic if it helps

It is 36", but I haven't taken the tape to see the depth... I guess about 24". I have no idea about the gauge, how would I determine it?

Thanks for the help!

Dom
    boyardee65
    Re:cleaning grill? 2009/01/06 14:08:30 (permalink)
      Good looking grill! Always use a grill brick and oil when cleaning and wipe with a clean cloth. There is always going to be some discoloring around the edges and in the corners as you can't get there with the brick. I also use a razor scraper to get these areas.

Since you have 3 burners, I would put the far left one on med-high, the middle one on low, and the left one off.  You can cook hash browns on the left and then hold them on the right while you cook eggs some where in the middle right.

The uses for this type of grill are endless.

David o.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:cleaning grill? 2009/01/06 14:13:46 (permalink)
    Dom, this is a dough scraper, with a metal handle.

dtortor1
    Cheeseburger
    Re:cleaning grill? 2009/01/06 14:37:41 (permalink)
    boyardee65

Good looking grill! Always use a grill brick and oil when cleaning and wipe with a clean cloth. There is always going to be some discoloring around the edges and in the corners as you can't get there with the brick. I also use a razor scraper to get these areas.

Since you have 3 burners, I would put the far left one on med-high, the middle one on low, and the left one off.  You can cook hash browns on the left and then hold them on the right while you cook eggs some where in the middle right.

The uses for this type of grill are endless.

David o.

MMMMM.. now I'm hungry... I wish this thing was parked in my driveway right now! I'd be whipping up some bacon, eggs and hashbrowns... oh and some toast to dip in the eggs... Everyones invited! Wait, we need sausage patties too... but then I'll want to make gravy...

Speaking of that, I asked a chef buddy and he said it was fine to put a pot on one of these... Anyone else have an opinion on that? Can I put a skillet somewhere and whip some gravy up?

Any unconventional uses I may not have considered for it?

---

CC, Thanks for the tip on the dough scraper... a picture really is worth a thousand words! I never knew what that thing is called but I'm pretty sure I have someone somewhere... I like the wood handle suggestion, but I do hate wood handles...

---

I think I've got it but let me just make sure I'm ready for when I get to this step.

Since it hasn't been used in a while and i want to make sure I'm starting nice and fresh...

Heat the grill somewhat adn put a little oil on it, then use the grill brick, steel scrubber, and a razor scraper (like the one from the hardware store??) and elbow grease to break down the remaining coating from when she had it...

Then put the grill on medium high heat, coat it with oil and let it sit for an hour, keeping it well oiled, maintaining just a small amount of smoke...

Let it cool for 10 minutes and scrape off the excess oil with the dough scraper and wipe it with a clean dry cloth...

After that it is ok for it to feel tacky, when I want to cook just put on the oil and go to work.

Here is where I'm a little unclear... do I then want to clean it at the end of the night with the grill brick, or do I just want to scrape any large pieces off and wipe it with oil. Wouldn't the grill brick remove my seasoning?

I want to make sure I have this part exactly understood... This is the center of my operation and I know if I don't do this process right, I'm gonna have problems!

Thanks!

CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:cleaning grill? 2009/01/06 14:58:05 (permalink)
    You're welcome! It is aka a bench scraper.

If you decide to use a light saute pan on the griddle, be very careful. Especially in the confines of your truck. It is very easy to bump into  the handle, when you are hustling around  in close quarters, and since you are not on a burner, a small pan can go for a spin, a ride, and a fall, and that can be messy and/or painful. If you do use a pan, make sure it has a very flat bottom. If it is a wobbler, it it a mover, and that is not a good thing.

Inertia. An object at rest, will remain at rest, until an unbalanced force, acts on it. I always keep  in my mind, that, yes, indeed, I am an unbalanced force.
    post edited by CCinNJ - 2009/01/06 15:14:59
    edwmax
    • Total Posts : 2092
    Re:cleaning grill? 2009/01/06 15:43:14 (permalink)
    dtortor1…….. Speaking of that, I asked a chef buddy and he said it was fine to put a pot on one of these... Anyone else have an opinion on that? Can I put a skillet somewhere and whip some gravy up?

Any unconventional uses I may not have considered for it?…………

Yes, it can be used like a flat top range/stove.   Consider using a rectangle pan like buffet or loaf pan to hold partially cooked burger patties in hot water or broth until ready to serve. Then finished on hot grill just before putting on the bun.  This will keep the patties from drying out and speed up service during rush.  Can also do dogs this way.

boyardee65
    Re:cleaning grill? 2009/01/08 02:40:58 (permalink)
     It looks like we got a little off topic but that's ok. Yes it is ok to put heavy bottom pots or pans on the flat top. As someone else pointed out, be sure to get any hot oil off the grill before you do.
     Getting back to the original question. The order in which you clean the grill is this: First, while hot, (no oil,) scrape the grill with the razor scraper, getting any stuff you can off. Next, use the steel scrubby using a circular motion, (still no oil.) It fits into the corners better than the brick. Lastly, While hot but turned off, pour a little oil on the grill and use the brick as described in a previous post. Scrape any excess oil and gunk. Wipe with a dry clean cloth and you are done. The grill brick does not strip the seasoning off the grill as you are using oil as a lubricant for the brick. The tackiness you are worried about is the seasoning for the next session of cooking. This processes should be done every time you clean the grill.

David O.

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1