"commercial kitchen" legalities for serving liquor

Author
california
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
2012/03/08 19:39:09 (permalink)

"commercial kitchen" legalities for serving liquor

I'm looking to open a bar and music venue in my town (not the town listed in my bio, I can't reveal exactly where I am due to competitors). The problem is we've been told by the city and the local ABC that it will basically be impossible for us to open a bar here without leasing it out during the day to a restaurant. The restaurant has to be A) a totally separate business from our bar, and B) it must have a "commercial kitchen" ON SITE, where it prepares its food. The problem is that our location, while being the perfect size and locale for a comfy bar and music venue, does not have a kitchen and does not actually have room for one without sacrificing all the space we would use for bands to play. So, we're wondering, what about slow-cooked food like Indian food? What if most of the ingredients are prepared elsewhere, but it is slow-cooked, basically kept warm, onsite? I have not been able to find a legal definition for "commercial kitchen" or "cooked onsite" for the state of California. Anyone have ideas for other ways around this?? We're thinking...a food vendor who uses a food cart right now, and charging them very low rent...? What kind of food should we look into as far as having next to no space to cook/prepare it?

4 Replies Related Threads

CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:"commercial kitchen" legalities for serving liquor 2012/03/08 20:16:54 (permalink)
    Welcome to Roadfood.
    Will your nightclub be an 18 and over venue? Are you holding a type 47 license?

Is there a requirement that your (which may not be your) food sales need to meet or exceed the liquor sales?
    The ABC does NOT play.
    post edited by CCinNJ - 2012/03/08 20:45:45
    chefbuba
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2018
    Re:"commercial kitchen" legalities for serving liquor 2012/03/08 23:37:09 (permalink)
    Don't F*** around with the ABC
    Why would you choose to serve "slow cooked" Indian food...just curious.
    When I want to go out to a music venue and pound down a few cocktails, I'm looking for a great burger, wings, sandwiches etc, not crock pot curry.

I'm with CC on the food sales meeting or exceeding liquor.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:"commercial kitchen" legalities for serving liquor 2012/03/09 00:45:19 (permalink)
    The legal definition on a limited license will require a complete restaurant with every bell & whistle. There are written ABC rules against infrequent sporadic incomplete menu selections served by using equipment that is less than the full restaurant requirements. Those meals will have to be served during "normal" restaurant operating hours...which usually takes you into the evening hours.

A separate entity restaurant to a nightclub flip on a nightly basis would be nearly impossible. Especially when those separate receipts as far as food will have nothing to do with you (you have no control over them) and may not count at the end of the day as far as the ABC.

The HD can rain on you parade. The ABC can and will ummm do much worse on it if you try to go around them.
    Bistro a go-go
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 171
    Re:"commercial kitchen" legalities for serving liquor 2012/03/10 11:22:57 (permalink)
    i learned, never prove a building inspector or HD guy wrong. i did it once when he said hood needed to be stainless ONLY and once he found galvanized is okay, he made it difficult on everything else. best to treat them like the wife and theyre ALWAYS incharge (untill they leave the room). lol
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1