commissary in boston

Author
mykim
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 16
2010/01/22 11:29:05 (permalink)

commissary in boston

I have had no luck in finding a commissary in boston, MA.  There is one in Everrett and Malden but they are 12 miles away so its not a good choice.

I have been calling local delis but they are clueless and rude.  How do i go about finding a commissary that is in boston or in my area?  The boston city hall offers no help so I don't know what to do.

23 Replies Related Threads

chefbuba
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2016
    Re:commissary in boston 2010/01/22 11:53:26 (permalink)
    Have you asked your HD?
    mykim
    Junior Burger
    Re:commissary in boston 2010/01/22 11:58:04 (permalink)
    i asked the inspectional services department and they were not helpful

I also called the public health department and they just transferred me over and the call got disconnected.  Im not sure what to do now.  They are useless
    post edited by mykim - 2010/01/22 12:01:54
    Curbside Grill
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3916
    Re:commissary in boston 2010/01/22 12:48:47 (permalink)
    mykim

I have had no luck in finding a commissary in boston, MA.  There is one in Everrett and Malden but they are 12 miles away so its not a good choice.

I have been calling local delis but they are clueless and rude.  How do i go about finding a commissary that is in boston or in my area?  The boston city hall offers no help so I don't know what to do.

Oh My another one. So many threads on this subject. Research, the easiest part- commissary.
    Phone calls, get the act together, wear out some shoe leather.
    BillyB see this,the horse is coming out.

mykim
    Junior Burger
    Re:commissary in boston 2010/01/22 12:59:07 (permalink)
    w
    Curbside Grill

mykim

Oh My another one. So many threads on this subject. Research, the easiest part- commissary.

whatever.  if you dont have anything helpful to say then don't post in my thread.  I have already called a dozen places and they all have no idea what im talking about k?
    maddawg543
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 17
    Re:commissary in boston 2010/01/22 13:27:48 (permalink)
    This is how I got my commissary I went to the local owned ethnic grocery store with a full deli and bakery spoke with the owner told him id give him $40.00 every time i come in and do the dishes which were not that big or many id bring my own cleanser and i would give him a $100.00 deposit to cover any potential damage or ware on equipment. small grocery stores make very littel profit on items and are always looking to make extra money. I just turned in my application to the local health dpt
    mykim
    Junior Burger
    Re:commissary in boston 2010/01/22 13:33:57 (permalink)
    maddawg543

This is how I got my commissary I went to the local owned ethnic grocery store with a full deli and bakery spoke with the owner told him id give him $40.00 every time i come in and do the dishes which were not that big or many id bring my own cleanser and i would give him a $100.00 deposit to cover any potential damage or ware on equipment. small grocery stores make very littel profit on items and are always looking to make extra money. I just turned in my application to the local health dpt

Nice idea.  So do you go there everyday?  $40 a day must cost a bit if you go there often.  Do you store your push cart at the grocery store too?

maddawg543
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 17
    Re:commissary in boston 2010/01/22 13:53:21 (permalink)
    will I go to the commisary every day for 5 days no just once or twice a week to make it worth their time. In fact from what I was told by the health dept so long as I have the right sink set up on the cart i might not need a commissary just a place to dump gray water.
    Ice Cream Man
    • Total Posts : 1370
    Re:commissary in boston 2010/01/22 14:49:33 (permalink)
    mykim

w
    Curbside Grill

mykim

whatever.  if you dont have anything helpful to say then don't post in my thread.  I have already called a dozen places and they all have no idea what im talking about k?

A good way to get help from people who have the answers you need.
    mykim
    Junior Burger
    Re:commissary in boston 2010/01/22 15:04:19 (permalink)
    Ice Cream Man

mykim

w
    Curbside Grill

mykim

A good way to get help from people who have the answers you need.

well he did not sound helpful and neither do you
    Ice Cream Man
    • Total Posts : 1370
    Re:commissary in boston 2010/01/22 15:13:31 (permalink)
    Your wrong about Curbside but could be right about me.
    mykim
    Junior Burger
    Re:commissary in boston 2010/01/22 15:30:03 (permalink)
    ok
    THE WILD DOG
    • Total Posts : 1465
    Re:commissary in boston 2010/01/22 15:30:39 (permalink)
    oh here we go... I love how newbies come on the threads with attitudes asking for help,  CSG was trying to be helpful, guess if you can't find a commissary near by you might have to travel that extra 15 miles to the nearest one. Sucks but the milage is a write off. I'd def change your attitude in this forum if you want any help. These guys/gals have helped me tons... you should appreciate the sarcasm as well.

If anything go to your local church and ask them. place an ad on craigslist looking for a commissary. think outside the box and go walking around to places that have a commercial kitchen like sub shops and things like that.

But judging by your prev posts about calling people rude & useless. With that attitude and perception of people you may wanna think again about selling food to people.  Just food for thought...

mykim
    Junior Burger
    Re:commissary in boston 2010/01/22 15:34:03 (permalink)
    THE WILD DOG

oh here we go... I love how newbies come on the threads with attitudes asking for help,  CSG was trying to be helpful, guess if you can't find a commissary near by you might have to travel that extra 15 miles to the nearest one. Sucks but the milage is a write off. I'd def change your attitude in this forum if you want any help. These guys/gals have helped me tons... you should appreciate the sarcasm as well.

If anything go to your local church and ask them. place an ad on craigslist looking for a commissary. think outside the box and go walking around to places that have a commercial kitchen like sub shops and things like that.

But judging by your prev posts about calling people rude & useless. With that attitude and perception of people you may wanna think again about selling food to people.  Just food for thought...

Thanks for your tips but you dont know anything about my attitude.  I want to sell food so i can be my own boss. Simple as that.  And I only react badly if I get a sarcastic non helpful answer.

CSG's post sounded scornful at best.  Not helpful in anyway
    post edited by mykim - 2010/01/22 15:35:23
    BillyB
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2851
    Re:commissary in boston 2010/01/22 15:35:37 (permalink)
    maddawg543

What do you do after you use the commissary, push your cart on your Yacht and float away to your private island. $40 a day, she could buy a Restaurant..................There must be hundreds of Churches, private clubs, banquet halls, C stores, think of any place that preps food, fries foods ....Billyb
    THE WILD DOG
    Re:commissary in boston 2010/01/22 15:38:53 (permalink)
    ok, good luck... maybe you should re-read your posts and figure it out for yourself. You can always be your own boss in another line of work too. If you get frustrated and take it out on your customers. Have you ever thought of going to one of the other carts and asking them where their commissary is ?  Most of the time they will help you out.
    mykim
    Junior Burger
    Re:commissary in boston 2010/01/22 15:42:26 (permalink)
    THE WILD DOG

ok, good luck... maybe you should re-read your posts and figure it out for yourself. You can always be your own boss in another line of work too. If you get frustrated and take it out on your customers. Have you ever thought of going to one of the other carts and asking them where their commissary is ?  Most of the time they will help you out.

what makes you think i would lash out at my customers? Just because I act this way on the internet does not mean i am like this in real life. 

But yeah, I might have to just walk up to a food vendor and ask.  Hope they dont won't be an ass about it
    THE WILD DOG
    mykim
    Junior Burger
    Re:commissary in boston 2010/01/22 15:44:09 (permalink)
    MikeinRI

These places get so many calls everyday, probably during busy times, that they don't give you the time of day. Go to these places and look them in the eye. Show them you're not trying to sell them something and that you're sincere.
    Like Wild Dog says, think outside the box. Offer your local church free dogs and drinks once a month when they have their youth groups or whatever.
    Knights of Columbus halls. F.O.P. halls. VFW halls.
    Smile  
    Good luck

there is a church near my home but are most churches considered liscened commissaries?

Also, i did go around the neighborhood asking for kitchen space and all of them said no.
    mykim
    Junior Burger
    Re:commissary in boston 2010/01/22 15:47:06 (permalink)
    THE WILD DOG
    Re:commissary in boston 2010/01/22 15:50:01 (permalink)
    all a commissary is really is a licensed commercial kitchen. Yes churches do count and you can use them, if you pay them at all it's very little, and offer your services for functions and what not's. Not only will it help you get your name out there, but tons of people go to church functions. 

I understand your frustration, but you can get alot of good help from these guys if you don't piss them off. i posted a few links up for you. plus the 12 mile drive isn't really that bad of a deal if it gets you a commissary spot. If i need one I have to drive 20 miles out of my way to use their services. but the trade off is, when i'm ready to sell and don't have one, I can't sell till i get one. But i'm in a trailer and have 4 sinks, so i don't need one.   I'm not sure if that same rule applies to carts, as long as you have 4 sinks, you might not need one. I'd call and ask your health dept that question.
    mykim
    Junior Burger
    Re:commissary in boston 2010/01/22 16:02:49 (permalink)
    THE WILD DOG

all a commissary is really is a licensed commercial kitchen. Yes churches do count and you can use them, if you pay them at all it's very little, and offer your services for functions and what not's. Not only will it help you get your name out there, but tons of people go to church functions. 

I understand your frustration, but you can get alot of good help from these guys if you don't piss them off. i posted a few links up for you. plus the 12 mile drive isn't really that bad of a deal if it gets you a commissary spot. If i need one I have to drive 20 miles out of my way to use their services. but the trade off is, when i'm ready to sell and don't have one, I can't sell till i get one. But i'm in a trailer and have 4 sinks, so i don't need one.   I'm not sure if that same rule applies to carts, as long as you have 4 sinks, you might not need one. I'd call and ask your health dept that question.

my HD requires carts to be stored at the commissary.  They did not mention any exceptions.

I will definitly try the local church then.  Very close to my house so it would be great if they say yes
    Curbside Grill
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3916
    Re:commissary in boston 2010/01/22 17:15:59 (permalink)
    mykim

my HD requires carts to be stored at the commissary.  They did not mention any exceptions.

I will definitly try the local church then.  Very close to my house so it would be great if they say yes

You answered your own question. I do not know of any churchs that will take on the liability of storage. They might be a few out there, I don't know of any. Most commissaries in big cities have inside warehousing, their theft ins. must be unreal.
    mykim
    Junior Burger
    Re:commissary in boston 2010/01/28 18:09:11 (permalink)
    The church near my house seems to have a commercial kitchen so I intend to use it as my commissary.  Im not sure if they are going to want to store the cart though.  Im wondering if i can get away with keeping the cart at my house.

Does your state require your carts to be stored at a commissary and do any of you store your carts at the place?
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1