The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

computer pos system for new waitress job?? help

gtucker

• Total Posts: 8
computer pos system for new waitress job?? help Sun, 07/10/05 6:56 AM (permalink)
Hi all I am starting a new waitress job and am trying to learn to use a touch screen for ordering ect and am scared to death I do need this job ! i am wondering if their is a way to download anything so i can try to practice at home I dont care how much time it takes but have to learn it thanks so much for any help

-Tricky-

• Total Posts: 305
    RE: computer pos system for new waitress job?? help Sun, 07/10/05 8:01 AM (permalink)
    Is it Aloha? Aloha is quite possibly the best POS system I've ever seen. I've never made the decision about which system to choose, but in two different companies I tested POS systems before they were bought. I critiqued each system that I tried and recommended Aloha each time. Once it was the choice, once it wasn't.

Try googling your POS. You might find a downloadable demo, I doubt it, but it's least worth a google.

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
      • Roadfood Insider
      RE: computer pos system for new waitress job?? help Sun, 07/10/05 7:59 PM (permalink)
      I wouldnt sweat it... After a day, you'll be placing orders in your sleep...

eaglerich

• Total Posts: 39
        RE: computer pos system for new waitress job?? help Mon, 07/11/05 3:55 AM (permalink)
        Unclevic is right. POS systems are designed to be easy to use and easy to learn. Just think...no more addition mistakes, no more auditing a big stack of checks at the end of the night, no more mistakes in the kitchen because of "illegible" checks, no more sales tax charts, no more trips to the bar and kitchen just to hang checks. After a day or two you'll be wondering how you ever worked with paper checks.

bassrocker4u2

• Total Posts: 534
          RE: computer pos system for new waitress job?? help Mon, 07/11/05 2:08 PM (permalink)
          go to mcdonalds, look at the 'brain' on the other side of the counter. that person is using a pos. that should solve many of your fears.
          seriously, here is the best way to learn. take a few hours, go to the restaurant, and stand by while others use the system. watch and learn. after a while, ask them to let you punch in their orders. many systems have a training mode that you can use to practise. trust yourself cause its easy. if i were the manager and you came in on your off time to practise, that would win tons of brownie points with me. dont worry!

gtucker

RE: computer pos system for new waitress job?? help Mon, 07/11/05 2:53 PM (permalink)
            I noticed in some paper work I have been sent home with it refers to: Micros computer system. I have downloaded a demo program from their site to try to practice on. I hope I can figure it out!!
            Thank you all for your input and also is anyone familar with the Micros system?

eaglerich

• Total Posts: 39
              RE: computer pos system for new waitress job?? help Mon, 07/11/05 11:07 PM (permalink)
              I have used Micros, and other systems also and, honestly I've found Micros to be the easiest.

fastfood

• Total Posts: 82
                RE: computer pos system for new waitress job?? help Wed, 07/13/05 3:24 AM (permalink)
                How do you know how to use a computer but don't know how to use a touch screen which is even easier? We have aloha and its very simple and customizable. The only thing you will have to worry about is remembering the location of the menu items and it can be tricky at first but after a few days it will be easy.You will become very comfortable just don't become to comfortable or you will make mistakes.

Kodachrome

• Total Posts: 37
                  RE: computer pos system for new waitress job?? help Sun, 07/17/05 6:42 PM (permalink)
                  Micros is really good, we use Opera PMS up at the front desk of the hotel I work at and they use some Micros POS system in the bar and the kitchen. All work flawlessly, all the time..

gtucker

RE: computer pos system for new waitress job?? help Mon, 07/18/05 2:50 PM (permalink)
                    I appreciate any and all input. What I am looking for is a user quide or something. I am going in and practicing and getting most of it. However when I accually get tables some large ones I get somewhat overwelmed by it all. And my boss is supportive but I know that messing up puts the whole restraunt in a bad way. And I want to learn more. Faster and effectivly I am only working two nights so some time to ponder it and try to improve.

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
                      • Roadfood Insider
                      RE: computer pos system for new waitress job?? help Mon, 07/18/05 3:44 PM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by gtucker

I appreciate any and all input. What I am looking for is a user quide or something. I am going in and practicing and getting most of it. However when I accually get tables some large ones I get somewhat overwelmed by it all. And my boss is supportive but I know that messing up puts the whole restraunt in a bad way. And I want to learn more. Faster and effectivly I am only working two nights so some time to ponder it and try to improve.

Getting the manual will only help you in programing the POS... Each establishment sets up a little different. You have your main item then the modifiers (like rare/medium, etc, or Ketchup, mustard, or minus).. Also, when you get to your table, create a clock in your mind.. Customer #1 is at 1 o'clock, customer 2 is at 3 o'clock... Makes it easier to remember where the order will go.. Keep this formula the same on all your tables and you wont screw up on billing or serving...

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                        • No New Messages
                        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                        • Locked w/ New Messages
                        • Locked w/o New Messages
                        • Read Message
                        • Post New Thread
                        • Reply to message
                        • Post New Poll
                        • Submit Vote
                        • Post reward post
                        • Delete my own posts
                        • Delete my own threads
                        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com