cooking oil

Author
nyczoo
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 23
2006/02/28 12:24:01 (permalink)

cooking oil

I see that a lot of places use products like Whirl and other oils that have butter flavoring. Is this really that common of a practice. What do the better places use for their eggs and potatoes?

25 Replies Related Threads

Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: cooking oil 2006/02/28 13:15:15 (permalink)
    For eggs I always used half butter and half margirine same for the home fries. But for french fries used Frymax. Chow Jim
    drsmoke02
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 250
    RE: cooking oil 2006/02/28 13:21:52 (permalink)
    For eggs,i likr clarafied butter[butter heated till it seperates],homefries - hashbrowns,olive oil.
    DotZ
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: cooking oil 2006/07/28 10:57:37 (permalink)
    I need to know the life span of deep fat fryer oil. In the little drive in I work in we have that fryer on 12hrs a day 7 days a week. Is it possible to increase life span through filtering? We change the oil once a week. It is a partially hydrogenated soy oil. You can contact me at dotz67455@yahoo.com,, be sure to put fryer oil in the subject line as I might delete it by accident.

Thx.
    Dot Z
    angielynnscott
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 35
    RE: cooking oil 2006/07/28 12:57:11 (permalink)
    I am in a small cafe' so I use clarafied butter, when I worked in a large kitchen with heavy volume, because of the cost factor, I used a product called butter-it(kinda like whirl but much better I think)
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    RE: cooking oil 2006/07/28 14:31:52 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by DotZ

I need to know the life span of deep fat fryer oil. In the little drive in I work in we have that fryer on 12hrs a day 7 days a week. Is it possible to increase life span through filtering? We change the oil once a week. It is a partially hydrogenated soy oil. You can contact me at dotz67455@yahoo.com,, be sure to put fryer oil in the subject line as I might delete it by accident.

Thx.
    Dot Z
    It mostly depends on what you are useing the fryer for. Some items will cause the oil to break down earlier than just french fries. Temp is also a factor and finally it should be filterd daily to get the maximum life of the oil. Also what kind of volume are you doing? During the lull period of the day you can back off the temp somewhat and fire it up as needed. Chow Jim
    OilCan
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 20
    RE: cooking oil 2006/07/28 15:33:14 (permalink)
    Fry shortening should be filtered as often as possible as it's usually the little bits of food, salt, flour, breading and such that break it down. This as well as the normal breakdown that occurs from high temps over time.

If possible lower your temp at down times and keep it as clean as possible.

Clean, well filtered shortening will last far longer than abused oil that is dirty and always subjected to high heat without breaks.

Good luck..if you use a lot of it have the shortening rep come and give you suggestions based on your usage
    pinkie
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 46
    RE: cooking oil 2006/07/28 16:46:02 (permalink)
    Here is a great tip on making oil last longer in a deep fryer. First, if you can get rice oil--it lasts a long time in a deep fryer with or without filtering. It has a smoke point of 490 which is higher than peanut oil and healthier to boot. Next, try adding a unit called Oil Fresh-this is not an additive but a ceramic insert that is placed in the deep fryer. It helps prolong the life of the oil.If you need info on the insert try sales@northmarketing.com-they are in sunnyvale, ca.
    As always, I really believe that using trans fat oils are not a good idea as there are many good oils on the market now that are trans fat free.
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    RE: cooking oil 2006/07/28 22:54:29 (permalink)
    I hear an ecko! Jim
    bassrocker4u2
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 534
    RE: cooking oil 2006/07/29 08:14:08 (permalink)
    i dont care what brand, or type of oil you are using. if you are only changing once a week, you can't do any better than that, period.
    i have never, seen a fryer last a full week, without being changed.
    so..... carry on as you are.....you are already better than the rest.
    bassrocker4u2
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: cooking oil 2006/07/29 08:18:59 (permalink)
    oh yea, the butter issue. i have seen a variety of different things used. some, use real stuff. some use margarine(one molecule short of being plastic)
    some use fry oil. yep, i have seen that. and done that. at some corps. we sould keep a littl pan of fry oil on the flat top, and ladle out some for hashbrowns.
    as for eggs, and me, its a mood thang. sometimes, i will use spray, sometimes oil, and sometimes butter. but most folks dont know the difference anyway.
    DotZ
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: cooking oil 2006/07/29 14:07:18 (permalink)
    Thanks for the input about the life of fryer oil. To answer a couple questions. We keep the fryer temp at 350 degrees. And the volume is about 5-6 gal. And we fry whatever needs frying, as in fish, chicken, shrimp, and also french fries and onion rings. So basically most anything gets fried in the oil. And as in all food service in a small town, it depends on the customer numbers of the day to determine how much is fried. Again, thank you very much.

Dot Z
    Tedbear
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1832
    RE: cooking oil 2006/08/01 17:13:26 (permalink)
    Whatever you use for frying, just be sure that you don't put a message on your menu stating something like "all of our frying is done in cholesterol-free vegetable oil". Since cholesterol is, by definition, an animal-based product, it is impossible for any vegetable oil to contain cholesterol. Thus, this statement that I see on menus with some regularity is redundant and non-sensical.

When I see this nonsensical message on a menu, I make a mental note to avoid that establishment in the future, since it is obviously run by someone who is really ignorant of health and nutrition issues, and that makes me wonder about everything connected with the establishment and the food that it serves.

I would suggest that you use a product that is free of trans-fats. That means not using a hydrogenated shortening product. If you put a statement on your menu that says something like "all of our frying is done in a trans-fat free cooking oil", that would make me want to return to your establishment, as it would indicate that you are aware of the relevant health issues.
    pinkie
    Junior Burger
    RE: cooking oil 2006/08/03 14:28:26 (permalink)
    I agree with you Tedbear!
    pdxyyz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 411
    RE: cooking oil 2006/08/03 14:50:29 (permalink)
    But Ted it's a true statement, it is cholesterol free and it's vegetable oil. Semantics aside most people don't know that all vegetable oil is cholesterol free and the statement is not a lie. So no harm no foul.

Just because you don't think it is relevant information doesn't make it so.

Take a look at the recent thread pertaining to cooking on cast iron skillets. Someone got their knickers in a bunch about people not agreeing with the relevance of information posted in the thread.
    janicks
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 72
    RE: cooking oil 2006/08/03 15:02:08 (permalink)
    The no trans-fat oil is great and I have changed to that in my restaurant BUT... the french fry and onion ring makers need to do the switch also..I cook my tenderloins in one fryer and my fries and onion rings in the other... The tenderloin oil lasts much longer because the fries are pre cooked in oil with trans fats.I hear from my salesman that Wendys wants to do the switch but is having a time convincing the french fry maker to spend the extra money on the oil with no trans fats.
    Tedbear
    RE: cooking oil 2006/08/04 18:30:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by pdxyyz

But Ted it's a true statement, it is cholesterol free and it's vegetable oil. Semantics aside most people don't know that all vegetable oil is cholesterol free and the statement is not a lie. So no harm no foul.

Just because you don't think it is relevant information doesn't make it so.

Take a look at the recent thread pertaining to cooking on cast iron skillets. Someone got their knickers in a bunch about people not agreeing with the relevance of information posted in the thread.

I didn't say that the statement was a lie! I merely implied that it was a display of the ignorance of the owner of the restaurant, or whoever wrote the text for the menu.

If someone wants to call his vegetable oil "cholesterol-free", then perhaps he also wants to say that he uses celery that is cholesterol-free, or that his wooden chairs are cholesterol-free. Those statements would also not be lies, but they would be nonsensical to the same extent that calling vegetable oil "cholesterol-free" would be.

If I put my house on the market, I could state in the ads that it is cholesterol-free, and that would not be a lie, but it would certainly be nonsense to make that statement since, by definition, the building is not an animal-based product. Most likely, the majority of the public would realize that a statement of that type about a structure is silly. If most people don't realize the redundancy and ridiculousness of a similar statement about vegetable oil, then that is a sad commentary about the state of knowledge of those people.

My point was simply that I would not continue to patronize an establishment that makes claims like this on their menu, as it would cause me to doubt the veracity of other statements on their menu. That was the essence of my posting, plain and simple.

If you choose to accept blarney like that, that is your prerogative, and if I choose to reject it, that is my choice. In a free-market economy, the consumer makes his own decisions, and that is the way that it should be.
    bassrocker4u2
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: cooking oil 2006/08/06 08:05:55 (permalink)
    wow, tedbear! so in essence, does that mean you will not patronize any establishment where the owners are not as smart as you? i am sure, if you try hard enough, you could eliminate every single business on the planet. after all, we are only mortals, with only limited knowledge of the universe~~~~
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8703
    RE: cooking oil 2006/08/06 08:44:13 (permalink)
    Oil in a commercial deepfryer should be filtered everyday...if you are using the fryer constantly, changing it twice a week is recommended.However, changing oil once a week is perfectly acceptable if you use the fryer "normally"-not like a McDonalds, for instance.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    RE: cooking oil 2006/08/06 09:01:44 (permalink)
    In response to Tedbear,I assume you are not a marketing executive.While the written(and spoken)word of the English language has been murdered in the last 30 years, one just has to go with the flow.In marketing, redundancy is used quite often because MOST people do not see every word in a sentence.Some may focus on "cholesterol free", while others only see "vegetable oil".Both attract different customers.You should also realize, that unless the establisment is a very small operation, most signs posted in restaurants come from either the corporate level or a hired marketing company.We, at the restaurant food service level, do not have time to worry about signs-we worry about giving the public quality food-thats why we rely on "experts"in marketing.And as these people are higly paid, I do not care to proof read everything they give me.If you wish to avoid restaurants that use improper English, sentence structure,etc., that is your priority.You will soon find you have very little choice in dining out.Really, is it THAT big of a deal?????
    Tedbear
    RE: cooking oil 2006/08/06 20:53:41 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by bassrocker4u2

wow, tedbear! so in essence, does that mean you will not patronize any establishment where the owners are not as smart as you? i am sure, if you try hard enough, you could eliminate every single business on the planet. after all, we are only mortals, with only limited knowledge of the universe~~~~

Wow, Bassrocker, I guess that I should be complimented because you hold me in such high regard! (Quote: "does that mean you will not patronize any establishment where the owners are not as smart as you? i am sure, if you try hard enough, you could eliminate every single business on the planet.") I am actually not using any kind of comparison about intelligence, nor would I have a valid method of determining the intelligence of most business proprietors, should I wish to evaluate their mental capacities (I don't). And, to assume that I could eliminate "every single business on the planet" is actually a very pessimistic view of the world and the people in it. I begin by assuming that people are competent--until available evidence shows me something to the contrary.

In fact, I am just looking for competence in someone's chosen field, be it serving food so that is healthful, repairing an appliance so that it operates properly, cutting my grass and shrubs so that they look good, serving my health care needs so as to keep me healthy, etc. Believe it or not, I have a more-than-adequate group of restaurants, repair people, service personnel, medical professionals, etc. whom I patronize.

To assume, as you apparently do, that incompetence or mediocrity is widespread is needlessly pessimistic, in my opinion. I believe that most people are competent in their chosen fields of endeavor, but when I encounter one who is not competent, I will avoid that person's place of business in the future. How do I judge competence? By available evidence, naturally.

Please allow me to give you a couple of examples:

#1) My local fall-back restaurant (a little hole-in-the-wall Chinese restaurant that I would patronize if I couldn't think of other places to go to) had served me well for several years. Not gourmet, not fancy, but they served reliably good food, and their menu choices were fairly reasonable in price. However, after the second occasion of both me and my dining partners having severe gastrointestinal symptoms after eating there, I crossed this establishment off my list. The available evidence was that their kitchen was not clean or hygienic. I should point out that the two incidents were separated by several months, so the apparent hygiene problem was something of a continuing nature.

#2) A couple of years ago, I felt poorly, and thought that my breathing was somewhat labored. So, I went to a Pulmonologist whom I had been a patient of for a couple of years. He pronounced me to have "viral bronchitis", stated that there was no appropriate medication, and sent me on my way. While driving home, I realized that neither he nor his nurse had even taken my temperature. But, I assumed that he knew best. The next morning, I felt like I had been hit by a bus, and wound up in the ER. There, my chest was x-rayed, and I was told that I had a severe case of pneumonia in my left lung. I asked if it was possible for this to have developed overnight. The ER doctor looked at me like I was daft, and showing me the X-ray, announced--this is so severe that you must have been very sick for perhaps a week. He then asked why I had "delayed my treatment" for so long.

So--did I ever use that Pulmonologist again? Clearly, the answer is no. I am quite sure that the man is far more intelligent than you or I, but he showed me that he was not competent to examine me in the area of his medical specialty. I had no problem finding a far more competent Pulmonologist, who also found some other respiratory problems that Pulmonologist #1 had never diagnosed. But, do I think that Pulmonologist # 1 is less intelligent than me? No, I just find that his competence was lacking. I based this on available evidence.

So, to return to the original point, if I see evidence that a restaurant proprietor does not understand concepts such as cholesterol, that is enough evidence for me that he lacks sufficient competence in his chosen field. If you differ with me, that is your prerogative, but believe me, my choices (in restaurants, health care providers, service personnel, mechanics, etc, etc) have not been seriously limited by utilizing the standards that I do use.

And, as to Ms. Peeples, her response appears to be from the perspective of the corporate/chain restauranteur. I don't doubt that the managers and other staff members of her company's various locations are far removed from decision making. I don't doubt that everything there emanates from the corporate level. However, I thought that this was Roadfood.com, not CorporateFood.com! This site's very theme eschews the type of operation that you seem to be describing, if I am interpreting your posting correctly.

And, while the garbled information to which I originally referred could be considered bad English usage, I am much more concerned with someone's knowledge than their proper use of English. Poor English may be a turn-off, but it doesn't necessarily indicate a lack of knowledge. However, the redundancy of the information causes me to doubt someone's knowledge of the area in which he/she works. That is much more troubling to me than a dangling participle or a misspelled word. And whether the appearance of a lack of knowledge about food and its preparation comes from a Roadfood-type place or a CorporateFood-type place, that causes me to doubt someone's competence.

I may not be a marketing expert, but I think that the surging interest in a company like Whole Foods indicates that there is a large and growing class of people who do know that vegetable oil is inherently cholesterol-free. And, this group of knowledgeable people may, like me, be concerned when the person overseeing the preparation of their food doesn't appear to comprehend concepts such as this. It makes me wonder whether he/she is also less than knowledgeable about sanitation and other issues that could affect the health of the establishment's customers. Once I have doubts, I do not want to take chances with that person's knowledge and abilities, whether he/she is a restauranteur, a physician, a mechanic or... And, like I said, I have been able to find a sufficiently large group of businesses in which I do have confidence.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    RE: cooking oil 2006/08/07 07:00:43 (permalink)
    I am not at all coming from a corporate level, I just happened to be educated in the marketing field.I was merely pointing out sometimes"it is what it is" and nothing more.I too, agree the public is much more educated these days on health and food as I am one of them.I did not at all mean to insult you.
    BTB
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 207
    RE: cooking oil 2006/08/07 09:04:12 (permalink)
    This latter dialog is "much ado about nothing!" I for one will not reject going to a restaurant just because they indicate that their vegetable oil is "cholesterol free." The End (as far as I'm concerned).
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    RE: cooking oil 2006/08/07 09:49:10 (permalink)
    BRAVO!!!!!!!!!
    pinkie
    Junior Burger
    RE: cooking oil 2006/08/11 14:55:43 (permalink)
    i just wish more restuarants would change to trans fat free cooking oil-it's not a hard thing to do.
    pinkie
    Junior Burger
    RE: cooking oil 2006/08/25 14:29:55 (permalink)
    Has anyone had any experience changing to a trans fat free oil-good or bad?? Have the customers noticed and do you think they care?
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1