costco or sam's club

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
drsmoke02
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 250
2006/02/25 14:45:10 (permalink)

costco or sam's club

Would like to hear opinions on whic is best and why.

44 Replies Related Threads

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13565
    RE: costco or sam's club 2006/02/25 15:57:35 (permalink)
    I do not have a choice as we only have Sam's here in Knoxville. I hear from others on the site that Cosco is much nicer however Sam's is upgrading most of their facilities.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    stevencarry
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 359
    RE: costco or sam's club 2006/02/25 21:02:18 (permalink)
    Costco is the winner.
    They offer many quality,gourmet,and upscale products like Johnny Walker "Blue Label" good smoked salmon,meats,and bakery. They have a huge set of J.A. Henckels knifes for like $150... PLUS all the cheap stuff like gigantic jars of jalapeno nacho slices for a couple of bucks. 55 gallon drums of peanut butter. Well maybe not that last one.

Sam's Club is all cheap stuff like Wal-Mart. All China All the time.

Not even the tire centers measure up to Costco.
    GordonW
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 924
    RE: costco or sam's club 2006/02/25 22:18:10 (permalink)
    I'm not much into plugging businesses, but Costco always has treated me right, i.e., a business model I like that says "This is what we have, at this price, and we want you to buy it, and if you don't like it after you buy, we'll give you back your money." Never met a surly, or unfriendly, or anything-less-than-accommodating, or unknowledgable, Costco store person. And in my experience, all their stuff has been first-line, even the store brands. Mind you, they just gave me the 2%-extra-off deal, so maybe I am biased.... plug....?

I used to work in retail, and I suppose I like any business that has a strategy that attracts flies with honey.
    EddyBees Dogs
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 187
    RE: costco or sam's club 2006/02/25 22:45:39 (permalink)
    It depends on exactly what you are buying. If it stays the same all the time, price them both as a guest for free. Sams works better for me, they have a particular brand that i sell,
    Bulldozer Rectangle
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 102
    RE: costco or sam's club 2006/02/25 23:08:31 (permalink)
    See the NYTimes article (July 17, 2005 How Costco Became the Anti-Wal-Mart). I'd post the content, but I think that's illegal or something...

Costco has great prices, treat their employees well, have a smokin' wine selection... to me it's a no brainer.

joanie41
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 401
    RE: costco or sam's club 2006/02/26 10:23:18 (permalink)
    I am a sort of warehouse junkie, so I maintain a membership to both Costco and BJs (we don't have Sams around here). Of the two, Costco is much cleaner, and their employees are very friendly. But I shop at BJs more often. It's closer to home, accepts coupons (Costco does not do this), and sometimes, I find the merchandise more suited to my needs. BJs is open until 10 PM most nights, and Costco has shorter hours of service. Heck, BJs even sells magazines at a discount, and I read a lot of periodicals each month. (I'm also a magazine junkie, and a junk food junkie...and...well, we'll save that for another thread! )

They are talking about putting a Costco right here in town, very close to BJs and it will be interesting to see what happens to BJs after they arrive. Currently, our BJs is always crowded, and has excellent meats and produce, but it isn't very clean, and the employees aren't always the best.

I basically have replaced my supermarket shopping with warehouse shopping. And if Costco was here in town, I'd probably shop there more often. Hmmm...maybe I'll go today...haven't been in awhile!
    nvb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 468
    RE: costco or sam's club 2006/02/26 11:24:09 (permalink)
    I went to the Costco site and tried to pull up items I buy at Sam's Club. Dang search feature won't even pull up pickles or paper foam plates or cups.

At least at Sam's I can used Click n' Pull to order my list.
    cowboy bob 2
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 101
    RE: costco or sam's club 2006/02/26 13:51:45 (permalink)
    I prefer BJ's in our area
    Cowboy Bob 2 in PA
    cowboy bob 2
    Cheeseburger
    RE: costco or sam's club 2006/02/26 14:02:52 (permalink)
    I buy at Costco Hebrew Nat. ft long Hot dogs. The useta sell 18 for 9.99 but they now sell for 14 for 9.99. I sell them on a 8 inch bun for $2.00. Too cheap I say, time to raise that puppy.
    dog costs 72 cents bun costs 23 cents = 95 cost. drive to costco to get them ???? Membership fee 35.00
    I will raise the price to $2.50 tomorrow.
    My question is am I right or wrong in my pricing????
    CBB
    drsmoke02
    Cheeseburger
    RE: costco or sam's club 2006/02/26 14:13:09 (permalink)
    Cowboy Bob, I buy the exact same dog at Costco, with homemade chips and a pickel spear iv'e been getting $3.99,and 0 complaints.I believe your way low.
    joanie41
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 401
    RE: costco or sam's club 2006/02/26 20:08:46 (permalink)
    OK, just got back from a bunch of shopping errands, which included a trip to Costco, and then to BJs for the stuff I couldn't get at Costco. Here's some observations: along with not taking manufacturer's coupons, Costco only accepts American Express or personal checks. I rarely use my checkbook anymore (my bills are paid online) and I don't have an Amex card -- and don't want to get one -- so I end up using my Visa as a debit card, for which I will get charged a small stipend from my bank. BJs takes all credit cards, so I avoid this problem. BJs also has a large greeting card section which is a real bargain -- much cheaper than at the drugstore, etc. I also find that BJs packages stuff in smaller containers. I needed sugar, but Costco only had enormous (like 50 pound!) bags. I got a 10 pound bag at BJs. Costco now has discount magazines, and they are better organized than BJs. Meats and produce are very similar in both places, as are the bakeries. Clothing at BJs was a little nicer, I thought, but it was laid out better at Costco. And Costco was much busier than BJs, but that may have been the time of day.

Enough rambling...I'll probably keep both memberships, but of the two stores, BJs has more items that I use regularly. Just wish it was a little cleaner inside.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7395
    RE: costco or sam's club 2006/02/26 21:38:59 (permalink)
    In our Arctic Burg of Anchorage, it's Costco all the way. I buy everthing there. Use my ATM card. It's 5 minutes away. All the meat is from IBP (Iowa Beef Packers). Good produce and fruit.......then of course there are the groceries! I never get out for under $200!
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: costco or sam's club 2006/02/27 01:28:42 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by lleechef

In our Arctic Burg of Anchorage, it's Costco all the way. I buy everthing there. Use my ATM card. It's 5 minutes away. All the meat is from IBP (Iowa Beef Packers). Good produce and fruit.......then of course there are the groceries! I never get out for under $200!

How do they get the stuff there? When I was in Valdez 15 years ago, they were still bringing in fresh veggies by float plane. Needless to say, they weren't cheap.

PS--It's hard to get out for under $200 in San Francisco or Tucson either and I'm not running a restaurant.

And, of course, for those who care about such things, CostCo has some of the best, most employee-friendly wages and benefits in retailing whereas we all know about those issues at Wal-Mart and its subsidiary, Sam's. So I actually feel good about shopping at CostCo.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: costco or sam's club 2006/02/27 01:34:14 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by joanie41

I rarely use my checkbook anymore (my bills are paid online) and I don't have an Amex card -- and don't want to get one -- so I end up using my Visa as a debit card, for which I will get charged a small stipend from my bank.

Depending on how you look at it, this can be turned around to a plus for CostCo. As those of us who shop there regularly know, they have their own CostCo branded Amex rebate card which costs nothing beyond the CostCo annual membership fee. Since I was paying $50/year for an Amex green card anyway, I got a CostCo one and saved the $50 every year. And it saves me from even having to fumble for my CostCo card when I go into the store--just flash the branded Amex card, then put all the purchases on it (to get the rebate).
    BearHit
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 57
    RE: costco or sam's club 2006/02/27 07:30:56 (permalink)
    Over the years I've learned to fully trust Costco on their merchandise.

Doing price comparisons or quality comparisons - they don't carry it if it is not the best "bang for the buck."

And their meats are consistently better than any grocery chain meats - whereas even if the grocery stores are running big SALES - I know that I'm getting the good stuff - no matter the price at Costco.

BarbaraCt
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 333
    RE: costco or sam's club 2006/02/27 07:51:58 (permalink)
    Around here, both Costco and B.J.'s sell gas. Costco is usually a little cheaper. But, I like that you can buy smaller quantities of hamburger and salmon at B.J.'s They are about 10 cents cheaper on their chicken wings, too. Costco is busier. I like their hotdog and soda special, too. We buy their big jar of cashews for 9.99, and I think it is about a buck more at B.J.'s.
    Sandy Eggo
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 226
    RE: costco or sam's club 2006/02/27 09:48:19 (permalink)
    Would saying they treat thier employee's one hellava lot better than Walmart be a bonus? I worked for Price Club, later to become Costco for 5 years. The only reason I'm still not working at Costco is because my duties were in the corporate offices. When the merger took place, I reolated to Kirkland (east of the lake in Seattle) to work in the Costco (Issaquah offices). Being a native Californian, and growing up in San Diego, I tired off the gloom and became homesick. I accepted a position in San Diego and returned home. I don't miss the Seattle weather, but I do miss working for Costco. They are a great company with very little bad publicity. They care about customers, employees, shareholders and vendors. They seem to keep eveyone happy. Sam Walton copied the Price Club concept to create Sams Club. They still have not caught up with Costco.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: costco or sam's club 2006/02/27 13:05:20 (permalink)
    Another plus for CostCo is their house brand: Kirkland. Almost everything Kirkland branded I've ever bought (that extends from luggage to nuts) has been high quality for a very good price.
    RibDog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 593
    RE: costco or sam's club 2006/02/27 13:21:57 (permalink)
    For me, it would be Sam's. Since I am a business member, I take advantage of their business hours from 7 to 930 in the morning. The Costco here in Clearwater has their business member time from 10 to 11 in the morning. At 10 AM, I am working and don't have time to make a costco run.

I use Sam's for a good deal of pork and they usually have IBP on hand which is just fine for my needs.

Yes, there are some items I wish I could get from Costco but I won't keep two memberships not am I able to take advantage of their business member only times.

John
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: costco or sam's club 2006/02/27 17:48:49 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BT

quote:
    Originally posted by lleechef

How do they get the stuff there? When I was in Valdez 15 years ago, they were still bringing in fresh veggies by float plane. Needless to say, they weren't cheap.

PS--It's hard to get out for under $200 in San Francisco or Tucson either and I'm not running a restaurant.

And, of course, for those who care about such things, CostCo has some of the best, most employee-friendly wages and benefits in retailing whereas we all know about those issues at Wal-Mart and its subsidiary, Sam's. So I actually feel good about shopping at CostCo.

No more float planes. It's mostly all by barges, according to The Big Guy. Maybe some is transported by Alaska Airlines.
    And yes, Costco really does have some of the best benefits!!
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15335
    RE: costco or sam's club 2006/02/27 18:34:43 (permalink)

In the days before my switch to digital photography the Costco (Kirtland) Color Print Film was an outstanding buy. It was Agfa film and they sold 10 24ex. 35mm rolls for $9.99. The 200 and 400 speed had great color. I have train photos I took 20 years ago that look like new today.
    We look for an excuse to make a Costco run to one of the Cincinnati stores, and are watching for the promised construction of a new store here in the Louisville area this coming year.
    drsmoke02
    Cheeseburger
    RE: costco or sam's club 2006/02/27 19:36:42 (permalink)
    I buy all my baby back ribs from Costco,they're packed by Swift and so far superior to any junk Sysco or any other restaurant supply co. has,it's not close,ditto the pork loin,whole chickens,all meat[to include filet mignon],talapia,etc.I save over $1.00 per lb. on the ribs alone.i'm treated like royalty from everyone from the person who checks my card,the butchers,the folks who checck me out,they call me by name,no,not drsmoke.o yeah,they don't have voice mail either.I own some stock in Costco. I am not a shill! It's a pleasure to make my twice weekly trips to Costco.
    cowboy bob 2
    Cheeseburger
    RE: costco or sam's club 2006/02/28 21:18:43 (permalink)
    Tnx for feed back on pricing of big dog Today I raised the price of all dogs from 1.75 to 2.00 and ft long 2.00 to 2.50 plain and guess what the regulars didn't flinch. They were expecting an increase because everything is going up.
    Now to change subject: I had a guy order a dog for $2.00 and tried to pay with a hundred dollar bill. I told him I am not a bank and don't accept anything larger than a $20.00. He got huffy. He quickly found two dollars in his pocket. I served him and he said I want another one, I said $2.00 and when I handed it to him he said I touched it with my finger and didn't want it. I said to the next person in line to take the dog and throw it in trash can. He did. I then told him never to come to my stand again, I don;t need him. My sales are too good to have a jerk try to ruin my day. I serve 50 to 75 people an hour from 11 to 1. BTW I use to get 3 or 4 hundred dollar bills a day, but no more. I carry 300 dollars a day to make change with, including $50.00 in Quarters. All sales end in 00, 25, 50, or 75. I had to buy another Microwave to handle the rush. sometimes I will have both Micros going and 2 or 3 dogs and Hambgrs on the grill just to fill orders in progress and both baskets in ff down. So for all of this , I don't need A#$'es to hassel me, next one I get Iam going to take their Pict and put it on my serving window to remind me not to serve them again, I am therefore.
    Cowboy Bob.
    Tip of the day: If you buy a grill buy one with a thermostat. spend the extra money. Wish I did.
    DLnWPBrown
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 832
    RE: costco or sam's club 2006/02/28 22:26:52 (permalink)
    1- Costco
    2- Sam's
    3- BJ's

BJ's was overhyped.... Sam's has gone downhill the last few years. Costco has a great return policy and seems to go the extra mile.

Dennis in Cary enjoying a nice glass of Maker's Mark
    ( check earlier posting )
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3174
    RE: costco or sam's club 2006/03/05 14:33:23 (permalink)
    We're getting our first Costco in the area and our local newspaper had its front page story about the company philosophy. I found its CEO's salary most telling.
    http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=406009
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: costco or sam's club 2006/03/05 14:53:07 (permalink)
    I catered a 50th birthday party last night. The questions went like this:

Where do you get the fresh mozzarella? Costco
    The prosciutto is delicious......where do you get it? Costco
    These are capers? They're HUGE! Where? Costco
    And the gorgonzola cheese for the fondue? Costco
    The smoked salmon lox....you make it at the restaurant? Nope. Costco

Believe it or not (cuz I read it in the paper about a year ago) they are the largest wine retailers in the country.
    Heartburn
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 127
    RE: costco or sam's club 2006/03/05 15:20:17 (permalink)
    I was told that Costco is owned by a company in China.
    Is this true?
    Sagud
    stevencarry
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 359
    RE: costco or sam's club 2006/03/05 15:23:56 (permalink)
    I think you mean the only company NOT owned by China.
    markolenski
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 308
    RE: costco or sam's club 2006/03/05 15:38:38 (permalink)
    Your thinking of Cosco
    http://www.cosco.com.cn/en/index.jsp
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1