crackerbarrel

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3757
RE: crackerbarrel 2005/07/25 13:44:29 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by stlouisguy

I just don't know this is the proper forum to discuss someone's gay political agenda. I read/post on plenty of other boards where current affairs are debated and discussed. This board should be a diversion from all things political.

First of all, I don't have a "gay political agenda," but I think I have some degree of social consciousness. As Adjudicator pointed out, this issue has been settled in the courts, and that may or may not satisfy some folks' issue with this corporation.

As far as the proper forum, I might/have previously/and continue to argue that this forum, Roadfood, one that celebrates "The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America," is not the proper forum to discuss the corporate blight on America that is Cracker Barrell. But, I have been told that I shouldn't tell people what they can and cannot post about, so I would never make that argument.

Steve
AndreaB
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1303
RE: crackerbarrel 2005/07/25 18:57:32 (permalink)
Cracker Barrel is not a "corporate blight" --- it's roadfood that's right off the highway when you're hungry and want something "now" that's edible: nothing more, nothing less. I know what to expect there, and there are no surprises. Lots of time when I'm on the road there's no time to dilly-dally around in town, and I know I can always get a decent meal at Cracker Barrel --- and right off the highway.

Andrea
chezkatie
  • Total Posts : 1329
RE: crackerbarrel 2005/07/25 19:19:57 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by AndreaB

Cracker Barrel is not a "corporate blight" --- it's roadfood that's right off the highway when you're hungry and want something "now" that's edible: nothing more, nothing less. I know what to expect there, and there are no surprises. Lots of time when I'm on the road there's no time to dilly-dally around in town, and I know I can always get a decent meal at Cracker Barrel --- and right off the highway.

Andrea

In my humble opinion, Cracker Barrel is "corporate blight" at it's worse. You are to pretend that this is an old time country store/restaurant with "good ole home cookin'" at it's best. So you walk into the front door (after looking at wonder at all those clueless folks waiting forever for their table, and then you go through this maze of utter "crap" that they sell that is supposed to remind you of the 50's or whatever. You finally get seated and then read your way through the menu with all the cutsey names. You give your order to the over-worked waitperson and then wait and wait and wait. Your meal finally arrives and you dig in to the most average food one could imagine! I would rather eat peanut butter or cheese and crackers then to put up with this...............futhermore, with the long wait one has (due to the clueless customers) you could drive into a town 10 miles away and get a meal faster.
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5066
RE: crackerbarrel 2005/07/25 19:47:46 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by chezkatie

quote:

Andrea

In my humble opinion, Cracker Barrel is "corporate blight" at it's worse. You are to pretend that this is an old time country store/restaurant with "good ole home cookin'" at it's best. So you walk into the front door (after looking at wonder at all those clueless folks waiting forever for their table, and then you go through this maze of utter "crap" that they sell that is supposed to remind you of the 50's or whatever. You finally get seated and then read your way through the menu with all the cutsey names. You give your order to the over-worked waitperson and then wait and wait and wait. Your meal finally arrives and you dig in to the most average food one could imagine! I would rather eat peanut butter or cheese and crackers then to put up with this...............futhermore, with the long wait one has (due to the clueless customers) you could drive into a town 10 miles away and get a meal faster.

I would imagine CB is in business to make $$$, not to please 100% of it's customers. It's as simple as that.
AndreaB
RE: crackerbarrel 2005/07/25 19:53:12 (permalink)
Yah Thou Adjudicator thou are right --- and there's a time and place for everything --- including Cracker Barrel when you're traveling and just want a filling meal.

Andrea
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
RE: crackerbarrel 2005/07/25 20:11:16 (permalink)
quote:

Yah Thou Adjudicator thou are right --- and there's a time and place for everything --- including Cracker Barrel when you're traveling and just want a filling meal.

Andrea

This is true---but it still dont make it ROADFOOD!
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
RE: crackerbarrel 2005/07/25 20:23:40 (permalink)
quote:

Andrea

"Corporate blight" is my opinion, backed up by more than just a tiny few of the members of this site. But, as it is my opinion, it cannot be wrong -- I did not state it as fact -- it is how I feel -- and I am pretty confident that I can feel any way I like without being wrong.

On the other hand, it is not "Roadfood" -- by definition of what "Roadfood" is according to the front page of this web site: "What is Roadfood? Great regional meals along highways, in small towns and in city neighborhoods. It is sleeves-up food made by cooks, bakers, pitmasters, and sandwich-makers who are America’s culinary folk artists. Roadfood is almost always informal and inexpensive; and the best Roadfood restaurants are colorful places enjoyed by locals (and savvy travelers) for their character as well as their menu." So, to say that Cracker Barrell is not "Roadfood" is a fact, not just my opinion.

Steve
michaelgemmell
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 673
RE: crackerbarrel 2005/07/26 00:23:01 (permalink)
Remember, folks, no one here will stop you from eating there. I'm traveling, and I eat at chains when it's convenient. Just not that one. Why, when Steak 'n Shake is "just" 550 miles east?

Please understand that "gay agenda" is a code phrase used by the religious wrong. In this case, it was Cracker Barrel that made it their agenda, not us. I just think you should all know that in addition to many people who dislike their food, service and ambience, their corporation has a checkered history.
the grillman
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 632
RE: crackerbarrel 2005/07/26 07:09:23 (permalink)
Hey, everybody is welcome to eat wherever and whenever they wish, as well as refuse to patronize any establishment they choose, for whatever their reasons are. But, as stated several times, if Cracker Barrell is not "roadfood", so what's the point in debating their past employment practices on this forum? Just seems to me it's not relevant.

Whatever their real or perceived corporate sins are, they are a successful company, people patronize them in droves, and many of those people enjoy the experience, for various personal reasons.

No politics required on this site, please. Its' not the sites stated purpose.
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
RE: crackerbarrel 2005/07/26 08:42:54 (permalink)
quote:

Its' not the sites stated purpose.

Amen, brother.

Can I also point out that I was not the one who brought up the site's stated purpose in this discussion!
V960
  • Total Posts : 2429
RE: crackerbarrel 2005/07/26 08:59:58 (permalink)
As I posted earlier, in some places CB's ARE roadfood. They may be in the corporate hut w/ all the fake country crap out front but the local manager or owner has made it his place.

Go to a big city and the CB's are corporate whatever. Stop in where they are one of the few places to eat and there just happens to be an interstate, usually there different and good.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7849
RE: crackerbarrel 2005/07/26 09:18:54 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by V960

As I posted earlier, in some places CB's ARE roadfood. They may be in the corporate hut w/ all the fake country crap out front but the local manager or owner has made it his place.

Go to a big city and the CB's are corporate whatever. Stop in where they are one of the few places to eat and there just happens to be an interstate, usually there different and good.

Even in an area where they are one of the few places to eat (very sad commentary on the slow death of mom n pops) I will always bypass Cracker Barrell for a local true mom n pop eating experience.
porkbeaks
  • Total Posts : 2216
RE: crackerbarrel 2005/07/26 09:38:11 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by stevekoe

quote:

Its' not the sites stated purpose.

Amen, brother.

Can I also point out that I was not the one who brought up the site's stated purpose in this discussion!

All this talk about this site's "stated purpose" and chain restaurants not qualifying as roadfood, while in this very breakfast forum we have a thread (now into its second page) entitled "Pop Tarts-Toasted or Not" and one in another forum waxing nostalgic about Howard Johnson's. Perhaps, if new forums were added with the titles of "Fast Food" and "Chain Restaurants", the purists among us could avoid such distasteful (to them) subjects by just staying the hell out of those forums. pb
Paulie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 120
RE: crackerbarrel 2005/07/26 09:39:35 (permalink)
Moderators:

Is there any point in letting this thread continue? We've heard it all before, from the same people, and there's nothing new or remotely interesting here. Maybe it's this sort of thread, which never seems to die but just recycles the same old arguments from the same old camps, that represents what some people feel is a decline in this site.

Lock it or kill it, please!
michaelgemmell
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 673
RE: crackerbarrel 2005/07/26 10:49:28 (permalink)
In a free society you have the right to put your head in the sand, but you don't have the right to deny others the opportunity to render or receive information. I realize that a segment of our socitey no longer supports the free transmission of ideas and information. This is a tragedy. If you don't want to hear the bad things about this corporation, you're free to look away, but I'm still free to tell others about it. I don't want to annoy anyone here, but this corporation's actions serve as a shining example of How Not To Behave In America, and, you know, I didn't bring up this subject.
Paulie
Cheeseburger
RE: crackerbarrel 2005/07/26 11:53:27 (permalink)
Actually, rather than trying to supress information, I was commenting on my belief that some information has been repeated so many times that it ceases to have any interest value.

While my thoughts were more directed to the inevitable and entirely predictable chain vs non-chain back and forth, any mention of certain topics just seems to lead to discussion that can be scripted in advance.
Hillbilly
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 992
RE: crackerbarrel 2005/07/26 13:38:47 (permalink)
When does a "Roadfood" place become the much hated "Chain"?

I could have written a glowing report on our "Roadfood" discovery if this forum had been in operation when we stopped at the original Cracker Barrell in Lebanon, Tennessee on our way from Nashville to North Carolina back in 1972. The menu at the gas station/country store/restaurant (yes, they did have gas pumps at that time) included great country ham, REAL maple syrup for the kids' pancakes, and old country favorites chicken & dumplings, pinto beans, cabbage and corn bread. They still have those same menu items and they are still among my favorites when we're on the road (especially in an area outside the South where no other place serves up this kind of food). In my book, this is the very essence of Roadfood, regardless of how many places they have.

I also am a big fan of "Steak "N Shake", "Sonic", "Friendly's" and others where they serve up good food.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18493
RE: crackerbarrel 2005/07/26 13:45:55 (permalink)
I like Sonic, and I used to like Friendly's when they were a small chain in Connecticut and Massachusetts back in the early '60s. (They made a mean cream cheese and olive sandwich on white bread.) But Steak 'N Shake? Yuck!!!!!
saps
  • Total Posts : 1561
RE: crackerbarrel 2005/07/26 14:57:39 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Paulie

Actually, rather than trying to supress information, I was commenting on my belief that some information has been repeated so many times that it ceases to have any interest value.

While my thoughts were more directed to the inevitable and entirely predictable chain vs non-chain back and forth, any mention of certain topics just seems to lead to discussion that can be scripted in advance.

You're kind of undermining your own argument by posting here.

I always figure that if someone doesn't like a thread, they should avoid it, rather than asking the moderator to lock it up. There may be other people that have an interest in it, even if another individual doesn't.

Paulie
Cheeseburger
RE: crackerbarrel 2005/07/26 15:18:13 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by saps

quote:
Originally posted by Paulie

You're kind of undermining your own argument by posting here.

I always figure that if someone doesn't like a thread, they should avoid it, rather than asking the moderator to lock it up. There may be other people that have an interest in it, even if another individual doesn't.

You're probably right. I guess I'm like those people who can't resist gawking at traffic accidents, hoping to see something grotesque.

Touche.
saps
RE: crackerbarrel 2005/07/26 15:26:34 (permalink)
I'm one of those types, too. That's probably the only real reason I posted in this thread. I agree that it's a lot of the same content and argument, but they always seem to spin out of control in different fashion- Like turning on ESPN and watching this week's NASCAR accident.

That's why I don't want you to get someone to lock up the forum and eliminate my entertainment.

Saps
saps
RE: crackerbarrel 2005/07/26 15:31:27 (permalink)
And while I'm here-

Anyone who doesn't think this place is one of the corporate heavyweight chains is fooling themselves. 500+ stores, massive distribution centers, large mktng dept, etc- it's a chain that tries to put itself in Mom and Pop clothing.
AndreaB
RE: crackerbarrel 2005/07/26 15:43:54 (permalink)
Ha ha this thread has gotten laughably stupid --- it's worse than a high school debate and at this point it's kinda plodding along like an aging drafthorse. If ya don't like the "Barrel", don't go there; if ya like it well go. I've posted lots of "roadfood" places for people to go when visiting Lexington or Versailles, KY, (none of them chains) and yah at some places here in KY the "Barrel" is going to be the best you can find right off the highway for the type of food they serve. Sorry, but that's the way it is.

Andrea
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18493
RE: crackerbarrel 2005/07/26 15:51:51 (permalink)
I hear some people believe Cracker Barrel is better than Jerry's in Kentucky.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4591
RE: crackerbarrel 2005/07/26 15:52:29 (permalink)
What's Jerry's, MH?

Got a link?
AndreaB
RE: crackerbarrel 2005/07/26 16:00:10 (permalink)
Jerry's was kinda like a Frisch's or Shoney's.

Andrea
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4591
RE: crackerbarrel 2005/07/26 16:39:42 (permalink)
AHA! I used to work (3rd shift short order cook) at Jerry's in Fort Wright Ky.....this is just a few miles south of downtown Cincinnati.....circa 1982

long gone
pcdiva
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 591
RE: crackerbarrel 2005/07/26 17:13:00 (permalink)
For a transplanted Southerner, I like Cracker Barrell. I give my business to locally owned restaurants in my adopted home of Ann Arbor, but no one here can make gravy like CB. And yes, my family doesn't understand it either!
They actually cook the green beans so they are properly done, not this babptised in hot water nonsense you get so many other places. Just like a good Meat & 3 at home in Georgia.

If anyone out there has some good tips for me here in Ann Arbor, MI/Ypsilanti for good Southern Style cooking, I'll be there in a flash!

meowzart
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 773
RE: crackerbarrel 2005/07/26 17:13:43 (permalink)
quote:
the "Barrel" is going to be the best you can find right off the highway for the type of food they serve. Sorry, but that's the way it is.

Andrea

Maybe its the best YOU can find.

Andrea, somehow I am just positive you are Cracker Barrell's favorite customer and salesperson. They should put you on the payroll. You are quite an advertisement for them.
chezkatie
  • Total Posts : 1329
RE: crackerbarrel 2005/07/26 17:21:28 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by meowzart

quote:
the "Barrel" is going to be the best you can find right off the highway for the type of food they serve. Sorry, but that's the way it is.

Andrea

Maybe its the best YOU can find.

Andrea, somehow I am just positive you are Cracker Barrell's favorite customer and salesperson. They should put you on the payroll. You are quite an advertisement for them.

Oh my goodness............I thought that she was the CEO for this corporation.
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1