cream of mushroom

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
californyguy
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 513
2006/06/20 00:05:40 (permalink)

cream of mushroom

in west orange nj pals cabin has been making a magical mushroom soup for sixty years( no they do not use magic mushrooms) but it is so velvety ,so perfectly rich that it will become your standard I am sure

30 Replies Related Threads

tmiles
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2033
    RE: cream of mushroom 2006/06/20 09:44:05 (permalink)
    The Great Santini had a good use for mushroom soup.
    Bill B.
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 322
    RE: cream of mushroom 2006/06/20 10:06:45 (permalink)
    What is a ghoul's favorite soup?

Scream of mushroom.
    WVHillbilly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 406
    RE: cream of mushroom 2006/06/20 12:06:02 (permalink)
    Anybody got any good recipes? I love mushrooms, but the soups I've made have lacked something (yea, I did add mushrooms).
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18874
    RE: cream of mushroom 2006/06/20 12:53:09 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tmiles

I can't remember.What?
    V960
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: cream of mushroom 2006/06/20 17:33:30 (permalink)
    Hillbilly,
    Good cream of mushroom soup really only needs three things. Cream (what a genuis am I), either low sodium chickeen stock or homemade, and most importantly RIPE mushrooms. I see button mushrooms or Creminis on the discount rack at the grocery store its soup time.

I am fortunate to have a Monterry Mushroom facility close to one of my customers. It is in Loudon, TN. They keep large bags (3#'s maybe) in a frig in the guard shack. Cheap and very fresh, pick them up 24/7 and eat them like popcorn. These are too fresh for cream of mushroom soup. Got to keep them in the frig for a week or so until they open up.

Slice and saute shrooms w/ just a bit of onion in butter. Reserve a few really good looking shroom slices
    Add a quart of rich chicken stock and simmer for just ten to fifteen minutes.
    at this point we go fancy or home style.
    Put the stick blender to it or process it.
    for family style simply add cream to thicken
    For fancy pass this through a chinois then do the cream thickening.
    I like to garnish w/ the reserved shrooms

The ripe mushrooms are the key to the taste. Let them get almost black in the frig before cooking.
    WVHillbilly
    Cheeseburger
    RE: cream of mushroom 2006/06/20 19:16:52 (permalink)
    Thanks Vman, but do I gotta wait till they get black?
    Kiowa1
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 189
    RE: cream of mushroom 2006/06/20 20:08:10 (permalink)
    Hugo's Inn in Kennett Square, PA is known for it's Cream of Mushroom soup and many other mushroom menu items... but their C of M soup is killer...
    V960
    RE: cream of mushroom 2006/06/20 20:12:52 (permalink)
    Hillbilly,
    No, just use Cremini mushrooms which out of the gate have a wonderful flavor. Your soup in either case will be light brown as it should be.

The almost rotten black ones are wonderful however.
    tacchino
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 560
    RE: cream of mushroom 2006/06/20 20:52:03 (permalink)
    I have tasted homemade mushroom soups using recipes similar to V960's recipe, with one slight change. Instead of chicken broth, use beef broth. I find it gives a richer taste that I prefer.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7298
    RE: cream of mushroom 2006/06/20 21:46:12 (permalink)
    I'm not so sure I like the idea of rotten black mushrooms anywhere but the trash can. The only black food I eat is olives and truffles. I like a combination of white, crimini, shiitake, and oyster mushrooms, sauteed in butter with shallots, then add flour, stir to make a white roux, add chicken stock then cream. I happen to like my soups "chunky" so I give it a very quick run with the stick blender, top with chopped chives and done. Of course, S&P to taste.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: cream of mushroom 2006/06/20 21:47:21 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:

I can't remember.What?

One of the first scenes in the movie. They were at the banquet, and some of them decided to crash the Navy party. The Ace (Duvall), stuck an open can of soup in his dress whites jacket and pretended to upchuck on the stage. The junior Marines jumped up there with spoons and eagerly ate the stuff off the floor. It was hilarious.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: cream of mushroom 2006/06/20 22:20:11 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bushie

quote:

quote:

I can't remember.What?

One of the first scenes in the movie. They were at the banquet, and some of them decided to crash the Navy party. The Ace (Duvall), stuck an open can of soup in his dress whites jacket and pretended to upchuck on the stage. The junior Marines jumped up there with spoons and eagerly ate the stuff off the floor. It was hilarious.

I remember. That was funny. It's been a long time since I last saw that movie.
    salsailsa
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 405
    RE: cream of mushroom 2006/06/20 23:42:45 (permalink)
    I make my mushroom soup like Lleechef but add a splash of sherry to it.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: cream of mushroom 2006/06/21 03:39:06 (permalink)
    Magical mystery tour.
    WVHillbilly
    Cheeseburger
    RE: cream of mushroom 2006/06/21 10:04:30 (permalink)
    koo koo ka choo
    tmiles
    RE: cream of mushroom 2006/06/21 11:43:11 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

I can't remember.What?
    Your question has been answered, but here is more. The book, IMO , was far better than the movie, but in either case the mushroom soup scene is classic. In pre Vietnam Marine aviation, the single seat F8 was considered by some to be the world's best fighter. Marines of my generation lamented that they were "cheated" out of single seaters by the then newer F4. The F8 was still a good plane, because afterall, the French were still flying it, but we had the F4 because the Navy had forced it on us. I don't know the real facts behind the beer lubricated chatter, but the movie could never live up to the book because the Great Santini flew an F8, not the F4 as shown in the movie. They should have rented some French Navy F8s, or at least used A4s, a single seat attack plane that had been around in the time of the Great Santini.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: cream of mushroom 2006/06/21 12:15:19 (permalink)
    When you said F4, I thought, Wait a minute. That's not what he flew. Then I realized I was thinking of the F4U, the Chance Vought Corsair.
    tmiles
    RE: cream of mushroom 2006/06/21 16:32:35 (permalink)
    quote:

When you said F4, I thought, Wait a minute. That's not what he flew. Then I realized I was thinking of the F4U, the Chance Vought Corsair.
    V960 can tell you all about F4s, a twin engine jet that held a crew of 2, the pilot and the RIO Radar Intercept Officer. The plane was designed as carrier based for the Navy and Marines, but the Air Force bought a lot of a land based version too. It was replaced in the Marines with the F18, and in the Navy with the F14 (as in the movie Top Gun) and the F18. The Marines were going to get the F14, and actually took delivery of a few before they gave them all to the Navy. Some people who think that Marines were not smart enough to fly F14s are wrong!
    V960
    RE: cream of mushroom 2006/06/22 12:39:29 (permalink)
    lleechef,
    I didn't say rotten mushrooms just a bit beyond what is considered edible by most. The flavor is wonderful. The cremini work as well but the depth of taste just isn't there. A quick saute of the muchrooms in clarified butter to just brown the edges also helps to deepen the flavor. I just don't think regular button mushrooms have much flavor but am not willing to use the exotics for a soup.

Tmiles,
    Ah, yes the F-4 Phantom, proof positive that a brick will fly if you put big enough engines on it. The biggest basic mistake in it was that the only two guns on it were the two S&W .38's carried by the avaitor and his back seater. It was tough as nails however. That tough airframe saved my rearend more than once.

Now another aircraft that required officers that (I WILL never admit this publicly) really needed a wheel barrow to carry their stones around in was the A-6. Sub sonic, built around a guidence system that worked about 3/4 of the time, again no guns (is there a pattern here?) and slap loaded down w/ ordinance is the A-6 Intruder. Migs came after these guys they could only scream for the Phantoms for help. W/ a Phantom, if the stuff got too thick and you had enough fuel...firewall it and come back tommorrow. The A-6 couldn't go to Mach 1.

As to the F-14 and F/A-18, I've been very fortunate to have a few rides in each in the back seat. I think I would prefer to fly the F/A-18 over the Tomcat. Seems to be not only more forgiving but more agile. Not as fast as the Tomcat but the pilots I talked w/ like it better. I did like that Mach 2 plus bug out ability of the F-4 however.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: cream of mushroom 2006/06/22 22:06:36 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by WVHillbilly

koo koo ka choo

BrooklynBill
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 189
    RE: cream of mushroom 2006/06/23 11:51:57 (permalink)
    WVHillbilly,
    I have a good recipe that was provided by a former PA governor:

Fresh Mushroom Soup (from former PA governor – Thomas Ridge)
    Ingredients
    6 Tablespoons butter
    2 cups finely minced yellow onions
    1/2 teaspoon sugar
    1 pound fresh mushrooms
    1/4 cup flour
    1 cup water
    1-3/4 cup chicken broth
    1 cup Dry Vermouth
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    In a large saucepan melt butter and cook onions and sugar slowly until golden, about 30 to 45 minutes. Slice 1/3 of the mushrooms and finely chop the rest. Add all mushrooms and sauté for 5 minutes. Stir in flour until smooth. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Pour in water and stir until smooth. Add remaining ingredients and heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered 10 minutes.
    Note: May be prepared in advance, refrigerated, and reheated (covered) over low heat for 10 minutes.

It came from a site where state leaders provided recipes from all over the USA.
    http://www.virtualcities.com/ons/0rec/governor.htm

tmiles,
    I agree, The Great Santini was an excellent film.
    The use of F8U Crusader would have made the flight sequences even more graceful and beautiful. What were they flying in that movie? Did they use F4’s made up to look like single seat aircraft?

Well soup lovers,
    I am off to Cape Cod to wallow in soups of clam, cod and kale.

Bill
    WVHillbilly
    Cheeseburger
    RE: cream of mushroom 2006/06/23 12:07:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by V960

lleechef,
    I didn't say rotten mushrooms just a bit beyond what is considered edible by most. The flavor is wonderful. The cremini work as well but the depth of taste just isn't there. A quick saute of the muchrooms in clarified butter to just brown the edges also helps to deepen the flavor. I just don't think regular button mushrooms have much flavor but am not willing to use the exotics for a soup.

Tmiles,
    Ah, yes the F-4 Phantom, proof positive that a brick will fly if you put big enough engines on it. The biggest basic mistake in it was that the only two guns on it were the two S&W .38's carried by the avaitor and his back seater. It was tough as nails however. That tough airframe saved my rearend more than once.

Now another aircraft that required officers that (I WILL never admit this publicly) really needed a wheel barrow to carry their stones around in was the A-6. Sub sonic, built around a guidence system that worked about 3/4 of the time, again no guns (is there a pattern here?) and slap loaded down w/ ordinance is the A-6 Intruder. Migs came after these guys they could only scream for the Phantoms for help. W/ a Phantom, if the stuff got too thick and you had enough fuel...firewall it and come back tommorrow. The A-6 couldn't go to Mach 1.

As to the F-14 and F/A-18, I've been very fortunate to have a few rides in each in the back seat. I think I would prefer to fly the F/A-18 over the Tomcat. Seems to be not only more forgiving but more agile. Not as fast as the Tomcat but the pilots I talked w/ like it better. I did like that Mach 2 plus bug out ability of the F-4 however.

Damn Vman, I knew I was beginning to like you! My dream as a teenager was to fly F-4s but the pacifist living inside me talked me out of it. Took all the Navy tests while in college but backed out at the last minute. I didn't figure I'd make it through the preliminary stuff like OCS etc.
    My heros are guys like Scott Crossfield, Wally Schira, Pete Everest, etc. . . oh, yea, and that good ol boy froom down the road Chuck Yeager.
    I'd always heard the "flying brick" description of the F-4, but wondered if the pilots also thought so. I never asked.
    And speaking of balzy guys, how about those Skyraider and T-28 pilots?
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15321
    RE: cream of mushroom 2006/06/23 14:39:35 (permalink)
    WV- Now you're talking my generation. Those A-1 drivers...and the B-26 Invaders were something to watch (from the ground)in the early days of that operation. Man they could stay around for a L O N G time when needed.

My one and only time to do close to Mach One was in the back seat of an F-4 Wild Weasel out of George AFB before it closed. I 'won' an orientation ride around the High Desert as a prize from my school district.(I was 47 at the time) It may have been a flying tank to the Ferrari drivers....but it was an amazing ride for me...something I will never forget.
    WVHillbilly
    Cheeseburger
    RE: cream of mushroom 2006/06/23 16:11:59 (permalink)
    Al, You got a lucky ride! The closest I ever came to Mach 1 was when I did a wing over in a Super Cub and got it going pretty damn (a little too) fast in the dive, but I was probably about Mach 0.8 away from breaking any windows.
    V960
    RE: cream of mushroom 2006/06/25 12:56:05 (permalink)
    You boys got me all excited and I made a pot of soup last night. My oldest daughter had been at the beach w/ another family all week and wanted some home cooking. She was quietly shocked that they not only did not do a morning of crabbing but did not cook crab cakes or have a huge fried seafood dinner. What are NC people coming to?

We hit the grocery store, low and behold, MUSHROOMS on the clearance rack. Cream of mushroom soup w/ Texas toast for dinner. A few crab cakes on the side.

Anyway, I got into the Navy in a strange way. I was going to lunch in the student union building w/ my girlfriend and there was a table out w/ two recruiters. I was barefoot, w/ rugby shorts and a blue button down dress shirt (my standard attire in school) when the Navy guy caught me staring at the model of an aircraft. He was staring at my long legged blonde girlfriend. Beautiful but she had the brains of a gnat. He finally asked me if I had condidered a career in the Navy. "Aye Aye, Chief" This put him back for two reasons...one, I answered "Aye Aye" and two, I recognized his rank. A month later I graduated and a week after that I was in boot. Haven't a clue what happened to Dale...the long legged blonde.

WV,
    The F4 Phantom WAS a brick, just like the F4U Corsair (my Father flew those). You lost power and it had the glide path of a brick. Couldn't dead stick one...punch out and hope to fight another day. But w/ both engines fully operational in a Phantom you could go two times the speed of sound.

The T-28 was a trainer. The A-1 "Spad" was a HOSS. Slow as the day is long (maxed out at about 300 knots) but could linger over the ground pounders forever and really help them out. The fast movers had to be directed for a strike basically when they arrived. The Spads could hang around for a few hours. The Spad was as tough as the A-10 Warthog. Like the P-47 Thunderbolt it was as tough as nails.

And Wild Weasel jocks...more guts than I. Let's see...we fly out w/ all the radar we have blaring out "Here we are, SHOOT at us"!!! Those officers had the stones.

V960
    RE: cream of mushroom 2006/06/25 20:57:20 (permalink)
    One quick political commentary. Vietnam was a **** war, as I'm sure they all are, it just happened to be my **** war.

I lasted a little over eight months over there. My back seater and I were both meded out after our last "incident". I left as a full Commander w/ a chest full of fruit salad including the Navy Cross. Didn't get the little one w/ five stars but sure am glad I never got the POW one either. I have two daughters who have zero interest in the Navy...fine w/ me.

I can't watch the nightly news anymore. It reminds too much of what I watched laying in a bed those many years ago (no remotes so you watched what the ward watched). Two today, eight today twelve today...but in '68 and '69 it was eighty today, ninety today and more.

I'm just an old man remembering on a Sunday evening. Please say a silent prayer for the fallen and those who shall fall. They're in a crap hole w/ sand blowing over them and hot as h**l. They're going to get in an unarmoured humvie and drive down a street tomorrow that may have a five hundred pound bomb beside the road.

My best friend in Nam was a Marine LT Colonel who commanded the Marines protecting our naval air base. For us to be friends, much less best friends, was not considered proper on either side of the fence. He was the bravest man I have ever known. Jarhead to the end, high and tight haircut to this day, and more medals than a chest should carry (except his). He should have the MOH but came home w/ everything else. Three tours in Nam. Last tour left him w/ 1/2 a left leg. Now owns a chain of booze stores in LA...seems right.
    mohan
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: cream of mushroom 2006/06/28 21:36:23 (permalink)
    Indian Style[url='http://www.coimbatorecity.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=19&Itemid=37']Cream of Mushroom Soup[/url] - Try this mouth watering dish. You will want it more.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: cream of mushroom 2006/07/24 21:22:07 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by mohan

Indian Style[url='http://www.coimbatorecity.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=19&Itemid=37']Cream of Mushroom Soup[/url] - Try this mouth watering dish. You will want it more.

Nice link.. Where is that from???..
    I bookmarked the recipe section.
    RubyRose
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: cream of mushroom 2007/06/30 17:54:02 (permalink)
    Alas, Hugo's that Kiowa1 alluded to closed last summer. Their mushroom soup was wonderful. I thought I should update any threads mentioning Hugo's so no one's disappointed if they go there.

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=17037293&BRD=2250&PAG=461&dept_id=451991&rfi=6
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1