customer spills entire plate,what do you do?

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
rbpalmer
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 469
RE: customer spills entire plate,what do you do? 2006/02/21 09:43:24 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Tdybr27

Well if I was a customer and I accidently knocked off my plate of food, I sure wouldn't expect the restaurant to replace it because of my negligence

Nor would I. Assuming that the accident was in no way caused by the establishment, why should the owner be penalized because of my clumsiness? And by the way, I can't think of a better occasion to invoke the 5 second rule than when a prime piece of beef is dropped.
Jennifer_4
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1509
RE: customer spills entire plate,what do you do? 2006/02/21 10:55:26 (permalink)
We were at a mid-range steakhouse once.. and we seated right in the middle of foot traffic, a table that shouldn't even have existed in the first place... the servers kept bumping our table to the point that one finally knocked my purse into my plate of food.. the server apologized and personally cleaned my purse off, but we were comped nothing for a meal that was fraught with several mini-accidents..

just another point of view..
V960
  • Total Posts : 2429
RE: customer spills entire plate,what do you do? 2006/02/21 16:15:51 (permalink)
Dr smoke,
You're for sure not clueless. You're asking the right kind of questions and this is a good place to ask them. Years ago owners would destroy their livers after hours discussing the same issues. I was very fortunate to have a father in the business who taught me his way...not the best, not the only way but "HIS" way. Worked for my family but may not be your way. I have daughters and their interest in the restaurant business is to make reservations.

Sonny Funzio
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 907
RE: customer spills entire plate,what do you do? 2006/02/21 20:51:26 (permalink)
Customers don't spill a plate of food intentionally ... and they are sorely embarassed for having done so.

In sales it is known that someone who is embarassed is much less likely to come back (or buy from you in the first place) ... whether it's someone who stood you up on an appointment ... or spilled a plate of food. In the back of their minds, their feelings for your establishment will always have a sour taste. (Especially if you affronted them by denying a replacement when they asked.)

By replacing the dish at no cost, you are not only expressing good will and making them feel welcome, but also you are neutralizing a bad experience at your restaurant (even if it was their fault).
Always, ALWAYS replace the plate ... but also always note the replacement to the register (with a slip) or by the kitchen line on a 'burnt list' so you can account it in properly.

prisonchef
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 296
RE: customer spills entire plate,what do you do? 2006/02/23 17:44:15 (permalink)
i agree with bassrocker. as an owner i will look after my good customers. if they are rowdy or even yankee idiots and god knows i am up to my eyebrows in them right now then tough. but if we see a new mom with small kids struggling we always ask if the kids would like some fruit even if they didnt buy from us
jack
NebGuy
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 875
RE: customer spills entire plate,what do you do? 2006/02/23 19:01:44 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by prisonchef

i agree with bassrocker. as an owner i will look after my good customers. if they are rowdy or even yankee idiots and god knows i am up to my eyebrows in them right now then tough. but if we see a new mom with small kids struggling we always ask if the kids would like some fruit even if they didnt buy from us
jack

Yankee idiots? Why don't ya'll just fly a Confederate flag? I'm sure that will keep them away. I know it would this yankee (thou not an idiot)
Sonny Funzio
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 907
RE: customer spills entire plate,what do you do? 2006/02/23 20:59:08 (permalink)
Heard this explanation on a trip to Massachusetts.
To someone from outside the U.S., a yankee is someone from the United States,
To someone from the southern US, a yankee is a northerner,
To a northerner, a yankee is someone from New England,
To a New Englander, a yankee is someone from Vermont,
And to a Vermonter, a yankee is someone who still has an out-house.
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5116
RE: customer spills entire plate,what do you do? 2006/02/23 22:00:25 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sonny Funzio

Heard this explanation on a trip to Massachusetts.
To someone from outside the U.S., a yankee is someone from the United States,
To someone from the southern US, a yankee is a northerner,
To a northerner, a yankee is someone from New England,
To a New Englander, a yankee is someone from Vermont,
And to a Vermonter, a yankee is someone who still has an out-house.

I like this! Very good. I thought a yankee was a guy who wore funny pants and played ball in da bronx.
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3726
RE: customer spills entire plate,what do you do? 2006/02/23 22:15:33 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by prisonchef

jack

Please tell me the name of your restaurant. I want to make sure that I do not bother you with my "yankee idiot" presence. Heaven forbid that I ruin your day!
BT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: customer spills entire plate,what do you do? 2006/02/24 02:42:40 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by NebGuy

Yankee idiots? Why don't ya'll just fly a Confederate flag? I'm sure that will keep them away. I know it would this yankee (thou not an idiot)

http://ingeb.org/songs/blueflag.mid
bassrocker4u2
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 534
RE: customer spills entire plate,what do you do? 2006/02/24 07:16:05 (permalink)
jack, you got me laughing sooo hard.. see what you started???
must not use such phrases on this board...
in his defense, if any of you were to work in his area right now, you would be calling them worse names, i am sure. they are simply snow- birds. i married a norther girl, and she even calls them a few names...heehee
you just gotta know. imagine your worst, cheapest, snottiest, rude customer, and multiply it by several million.....heehee
one time i looked out across a dining room, filled with early birds, every table had free water and a dollar's worth of lemons. they will work you hard, for a nickle profit, if you are lucky.

but we all love them, and couldnt live without them. they are the main source of florida's income.
first thing we noticed when we moved to ga.....the locals were so much more pleasant. a car riding by here, the occupants wil wave at you, even if they dont know you. everyone treats you like a brother.
down there(and in most places), if you wave, that is cause for a drive by shooting, you better duck..heehee

John A
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4295
RE: customer spills entire plate,what do you do? 2006/02/24 07:30:44 (permalink)
Unless I'm mistaken Jack is originally from up North, must have had a rough day.
drsmoke02
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 250
RE: customer spills entire plate,what do you do? 2006/02/24 14:12:18 (permalink)
see all the fun i started!!!!
Kenny da Fat Man
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 98
RE: customer spills entire plate,what do you do? 2006/02/24 14:18:52 (permalink)
IMHO this happens so infrequently that I can't see why the meal shouldn't be replaced for the goodwill (of that specific diner AND all the diners within earshot).
V960
  • Total Posts : 2429
RE: customer spills entire plate,what do you do? 2006/02/24 18:59:23 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by NebGuy

I have never in my life wanted to fly the stars and bars until now. It will keep yankees away? Got to go buy five tomorrow.
drsmoke02
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 250
RE: customer spills entire plate,what do you do? 2006/02/24 19:33:57 (permalink)
IMHO this happens so infrequently that I can't see why the meal shouldn't be replaced for the goodwill (of that specific diner AND all the diners within earshot).

Sure kenny da fat man...replace for goodwill,a guy bumps into my car in my parking lot, no problem,come on back and have some ribs.
BT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: customer spills entire plate,what do you do? 2006/02/24 19:58:41 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by V960

I have never in my life wanted to fly the stars and bars until now. It will keep yankees away? Got to go buy five tomorrow.

Your fondest dream:

Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5066
RE: customer spills entire plate,what do you do? 2006/02/24 20:02:49 (permalink)
Scottish by blood, American by birth, Southerner by the grace of God ...

That's me!
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3153
RE: customer spills entire plate,what do you do? 2006/02/24 21:54:10 (permalink)
War's over fella's.
You lost.
The slaves were freed.
Get over it.
You guys have helped me to understand that whole Sunni and Shiite thing though.
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1