The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

decarlo's ohio valley

californyguy

• Total Posts: 513
decarlo's ohio valley Wed, 08/9/06 2:27 AM (permalink)
deep in the ohio valley , around wheeling wva is a small chain called decarlo's.the pizza is tiny little cardboard like squares , and the toppings like pepperoni etc are put on after the `pizza' comes out of the oven....one is not sure whether to laugh or cry at this poor pathetic stuff

tkitna

• Total Posts: 620
    RE: decarlo's ohio valley Sat, 08/12/06 2:19 AM (permalink)
    Theres Dicarlo's Pizza places all over the tri-area (Ohio, WV, PA connection area) and the best one is in Wellsburg, WV. Dicarlo's pizza is NOT poor, pathetic stuff either. Its good stuff.

Here's the link http://www.dicarlospizza.com/locations.cfm

Theres a few threads floating around here about Dicarlo's also.

Rowsdower98

• Total Posts: 132
      RE: decarlo's ohio valley Sat, 08/12/06 4:50 PM (permalink)
      Looks like the menu varies location to location. I have family in Stuebenville, so maybe I'll check out the Wheeling location next time I get up that way. I've been meaning to try Tim Horton's donuts which have several locations in Stuebenville, and Rax, which is based in Wierton.

moorebree

• Total Posts: 3
        RE: decarlo's ohio valley Fri, 09/15/06 2:25 PM (permalink)
        Each location of DiCarlo's Pizza offers a different taste. For me it depends on what kind of mood I am in. Sometimes I go to Wellsburg,WV because I love the way they grate the cheese. Weirton, WV is a classic and Newell, WV will do.

shortchef

• Total Posts: 624
          RE: decarlo's ohio valley Fri, 09/15/06 4:01 PM (permalink)
          DeCarlo's is not the only pizzeria that does the square pieces thing. I found that out when we moved here to Steubenville. The weekend we moved in, I called Giannamore's, which is very close to our house, and ordered pizza for delivery. "How many?" the guy on the phone said. "Just one," said I. Then he proceeded to tell me it comes by the piece, pieces are about 5" square. And they come with peperoni. So I ordered us 10 pieces. Also they put the cheese on AFTER it comes from the oven, so you get a lukewarm pizza. We popped the pieces in the oven for about 5 minutes and it was wonderful. Lots of cheese and a terrific sauce, plus a crispy crust. But the whole idea is kind of weird. But we're used to it now.

gostillerz

• Total Posts: 218
            RE: decarlo's ohio valley Sun, 11/5/06 3:44 PM (permalink)
            There's a Dicarlo's in Pittsburgh too. It's been there forever.

Rowsdower98

• Total Posts: 132
              RE: decarlo's ohio valley Thu, 11/9/06 2:56 AM (permalink)
              My mom has had Dicarlo's. She says its kind of like school cafeteria pizza. I really miss Steubie. I really need to roadtrip up there when I have some extra time/cash/hankering for square pizza.

alison81

• Total Posts: 1
                RE: decarlo's ohio valley Mon, 06/30/08 11:48 AM (permalink)
                can't get enough want it everytime I'm in Wheeling!!!

jazzfanwv

• Total Posts: 2
                  RE: decarlo's ohio valley Wed, 07/2/08 8:51 PM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by californyguy

deep in the ohio valley , around wheeling wva is a small chain called decarlo's.the pizza is tiny little cardboard like squares , and the toppings like pepperoni etc are put on after the `pizza' comes out of the oven....one is not sure whether to laugh or cry at this poor pathetic stuff

jazzfanwv

• Total Posts: 2
                    RE: decarlo's ohio valley Wed, 07/2/08 8:54 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by californyguy

PROBABLY ONE OF THE MOST POPULAR PIZZAS IN THE A FOUR STATE AREA THE LINES NEVER STOP THE PATHETIC ONE IS YOU

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6081
                      RE: decarlo's ohio valley Wed, 07/2/08 9:12 PM (permalink)
                      Now this IS something very interesting...and very different....I just learned something NEW about pizza....this idea of adding toppings,including cheese, after coming out of the oven,may be strange, but I have the urger to try 5-6 slices to see what I think. It is said the sauce was great....if those Italian names are REAL,then the pedegree is good...I'd love to try this new taste treat....I guess no one in New York?New Jersey would drae start selling these....but I sure am intrigued by it all!!!
                      This is a fascinating thread!!!!!

Kenny Joe

• Total Posts: 193
                        RE: decarlo's ohio valley Wed, 07/2/08 10:21 PM (permalink)
                        I know a previous message said there was a DiCarlos in Pittsburgh, but I've never heard of it and there isn't one now, at least according to the DiCarlos website. There is a place in Pittsburgh that does the toppings post-baking - Beto's on Banksville Road. It's not to my taste, but for some folks think it's the best in town.

tkitna

RE: decarlo's ohio valley Thu, 07/3/08 1:29 AM (permalink)
                          I'll have to take some pics the next time I get some. The wife brought some home lastnight and she likes hers with extra cheese and mushrooms. You'll laugh at how much cheese they put on a piece.

Michael Stern

RE: decarlo's ohio valley Thu, 07/3/08 5:15 AM (permalink)
                            Here is a DiCarlo's slice, hot from the oven with cheese just added and about to start melting:

and here is how they do it:

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6081
                              RE: decarlo's ohio valley Thu, 07/3/08 7:47 AM (permalink)
                              Wow...this is something.I wish this style pizza was available close to Jersey...I sure would like to give it a shot!!

gostillerz

• Total Posts: 218
                                RE: decarlo's ohio valley Mon, 07/14/08 11:46 PM (permalink)
                                quote:
                                Originally posted by Kenny Joe

I know a previous message said there was a DiCarlos in Pittsburgh, but I've never heard of it and there isn't one now, at least according to the DiCarlos website. There is a place in Pittsburgh that does the toppings post-baking - Beto's on Banksville Road. It's not to my taste, but for some folks think it's the best in town.

The DiCarlo's in Pittsburgh is on Rt 51 by Overbrook school. I've (until recently) lived there my whole life. It was opened in the 50's I think.

If yinz want square pizza, go to Beaver Falls, PA. Every joint here sells it buy the cut $.75 plain, $.25 per topping, and they LOAD it on there. D&G is the original, circa 50's, then Al B's, then innumerable others. So far, I've only found a few places that even sell round pizzas here.

tkitna

RE: decarlo's ohio valley Thu, 07/17/08 2:45 AM (permalink)
                                  quote:
                                  Originally posted by Michael Stern

Here is a DiCarlo's slice, hot from the oven with cheese just added and about to start melting:

and here is how they do it:

I wonder which store this was from? See, this is what seperates Wellsburg from the other locations, they dont use the long shredded cheese like that. Theirs is fine ground cheese that looks almost like rice. I also believe their sauce is different. At least its different from the Weirton, Wheeling, and Wintersville locations.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9552
                                    RE: decarlo's ohio valley Thu, 07/17/08 4:07 AM (permalink)
                                    Sounds like it's a chain in name only!!

OLEWILLIE

• Total Posts: 1
                                      RE: decarlo's ohio valley Fri, 12/30/11 4:52 PM (permalink)

Now, for your fans of DiCarlos Pizza, if you want to make
                                      the recipe at home.....e Mail me at
                                      and I will share the recipe with you free.
                                      I have testimonials from others as to the authenticity of
                                      the recipe..See Below:
                                      -------Original Message-------

Date: 5/31/2010 9:34:30 PM
                                      To:
                                      Subject: Re: DiCarlo's Pizza recipe

Bill,

I made pizza today. DiCarlo's Pizza. From your recipe. And it WAS DiCarlo's Pizza.

I literally shed tears in front of my girlfriend and her daughter when I bit into the first slice of the second pie (first one didn't go so well). Her little girl looked up and said, "Matt, is it THAT bad?!" To which I of course said, "No, baby, it's that GOOD!"

Your recipe is the legitimate thing, Bill. I was skeptical when I read your post on RoadFood, and then I read your recipe and was impressed. But my God, after eating the fruits of my labors according to that recipe, I felt quite horrible for ever doubting that you knew what you were talking about.

The attached files are pictures of the pizza. Thanks to you, not only does it look identical to DiCarlo's, it tastes like it too.

Oh, and I forgot to take a picture of a slice after I put cold cheese on it. But I can assure you that it was both delicious, and awe-inspiring.

Again, Bill, I sincerely thank you for sharing this recipe with me. I no longer have a wife (who LOVED the pizza, and couldn't get over the crunch!) who looks at me oddly whenever I reminisce about square pizza. And I don't have to wait until I go back to WV to eat the best pizza in the world ever again, all thanks to you.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart, sir. I am in your debt. If you ever need *anything*, and I do mean *anything* please don't hesitate to ask.

Matt

On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 7:54 AM, Bill Costello` <> wrote:
                                      Crushed Tomatoes....you really have to downsize the recipe...I use WalMartBrand...Great Value crushed tomatoes...they are the best...I use about 3 of their large cans....(institutional cans are about a gallon each) WalMart Crushed Tomatoes are the easiest to get and the best tasting..I tired Hunt's etc and they are a little off taste.
                                      Cheese - Get it at Costco
                                      Yeast - It doesn't really matter
                                      Oil on the pan makes that crunchy crust...I like to use Peanut Oil

about in terms of dimensions, I could probably figure it out.

On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 4:46 AM, MojoXN <> wrote:
                                      Bill,

Is there a specific brand or type of yeast that you need to use? I'd assume since the recipe is so old that it's not the Fleischman's active dry yeast that most breads use. Was it powder yeast, or maybe a yeast cake? Anyway, I am more excited to get off of work and make this pizza than you would believe!

And again, I sincerely thank you for making this possible.

On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 10:19 PM, Bill Costello` <> wrote:
                                      Matt: you have to work with the recipe....the sauce is easy but the crust is a little tougher....once you get it down...its worth it.....I took me about 5 tries to get it right
                                      I posted it on Facebook some time ago too....
                                      Enjoy
                                      Bill Costello
                                      St George, Ut
                                      -------Original Message-------
                                      Date: 5/30/2010 7:26:41 PM
                                      To:
                                      Subject: Re: DiCarlo's Pizza recipe

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!

There are seriously no words in the English language sufficient to express my gratitude. I have been craving DiCarlos immensely for the past few weeks. When I was in WV over Christmas, I brought a tray back with me from the Wellsburg shop. It lasted me a day. If I hadn't eaten a few slices on the way to the airport, it might have lasted a day and a half. But I doubt it. A few years back, I looked all over the internet for the recipe, but couldn't find ANYTHING even close to DiCarlos. I had pretty much given up on ever finding it.

Right after I sent you the first e-mail, I showed my girlfriend DiCarlos website, and she didn't see what the big deal was. After a trip to the grocery store tomorrow and a couple of hours in the kitchen, I think she'll finally understand. Though I think she's going to be pissed at the idea of pizza for Memorial day instead of stuff on the grill. But whatever. She'll get over it after she sees how delicious it is!

Bill, thank you from the bottom of my heart. You just made my day!

Matt

Oh, and I'll be sure to let you know how it turns out.

On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 8:54 PM, Bill Costello` <> wrote:
                                      Remember this is the ORIGINAL pizza recipe…When I was growing up there was only one DiCarlos Pizza anywhere….and it was on Main Street around 14th in Wheeling WV….I spent about a week full of evenings with Tom (who had always made pizza for me in the 50’s when I was in High School). The one on 14th & Main is gone now but if you interested in getting the most original well the nearest to the original, go to the DiCarlos Pizza in Wheeling across from the McClure Hotel (around 12th and Market)

This sauce recipe is exactly as it is stated. It is really a simple Italian recipe…I recommend that you don’t try to jazz it up with spices, different tomatoes etc…ingredient brands did vary but Crushed Tomatoes means Crushed Tomatoes…not sliced or any other kind….so be very literal with the recipe. This recipe was for a full pot of sauce so you might have downsize the recipe proportionally…you can make a whole batch, divide it up and vacuum freeze it..

The sauce
                                      1 Cup of Wesson Oil
                                      2 each – whole cloves of garlic, smashed
                                      1 med to large onion sliced thin
                                      2 tablespoons of Oregano
                                      5 large institutional cans of Crushed Tomatoes
                                      2 cups of thin green pepper slices (these were the canned type but you could use fresh)

Put this in a pot and slow cook for around 4 hours…..this is a basic recipe and that is what makes it good and healthy…don’t add anything .

The Crust

½ lb of yeast
                                      3 gallons of water
                                      14 ½ cups of high gluten flour…make it into a slurry then add as much flour as you need to make it like bread dough. High gluten dough is bread dough
                                      1/3 cup of salt

Mix it up as you would make bread dough…cover and let set until it rises at least twice the size.. then divide in up into balls the size of the pizza you are making and let rise again….The original is made in a 16 x 28” pan…but I that last time I got it (Aug 2005) they were using a 16 x 16 pan (you get more corner pieces) and it was easier to handle and it was just as good..

Put a little Wesson oil lightly on the pan (makes the bottom crispy that we love) then …..Press and stretch the dough (this is the reason for the high gluten flour), ….put on some sauce and spread it around to fill all the voids…, then put on a little, I mean a little cheese...not too much you can always add more later if you want to …pop it into the oven high - 550 deg F…watch it and break the bubbles (if any) with a fork….when it is just done (check the crust) , pull it out, cut it, put on the pepperoni and then sprinkle mozzarella cheese (grated)(if you want a creamer cheese add about 20% provolone cheese) …the heat will melt the cheese and soften the pepperoni…(It is not recommended… to add much cheese when you first put it into the oven….the cheese will be done and the pizza won’t).. )The best crushed tomatoes I have found are the WalMart Brand and the best pepperoni is Hormel and mozzarella cheese from Costco)

californyguy

• Total Posts: 513
                                        RE: decarlo's ohio valley Fri, 12/30/11 6:09 PM (permalink)
                                        people do take their pizza seriously ( even if it is half cardboard)...try even a semi decent jersey pizza & you will have to agree dicarlos may be okay to some, but it aint pizza! 
                                        [id="quote"]quote: Originally posted by californyguy

PROBABLY ONE OF THE MOST POPULAR PIZZAS IN THE A FOUR STATE AREA THE LINES NEVER STOP THE PATHETIC ONE IS YOU

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                          • No New Messages
                                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                                          • Read Message
                                          • Post New Thread
                                          • Reply to message
                                          • Post New Poll
                                          • Submit Vote
                                          • Post reward post
                                          • Delete my own posts
                                          • Delete my own threads
                                          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com