deep fried cheese sticks

Author
tartlett
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 20
2005/10/11 16:47:49 (permalink)

deep fried cheese sticks

looking for a recipe for deep fried mozarella cheese sticks thar doesnt let the cheese ooze out when frying

10 Replies Related Threads

apremerson
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 63
    RE: deep fried cheese sticks 2005/10/11 19:35:26 (permalink)
    I used to make them regularly, but it's been ages. I ripped off the recipe from Fog City Diner in SF. As I recall, I did the classic Italian breading method, like they use for eggplant.

That is, first dip the cheese sticks in flour and shake off the excess, then dip into beaten egg (add a pinch or two of salt), then roll in dry, seasoned breadcrumbs. I think I put them on a rack and chilled then for a half hour or so before frying. I hope that helps.

A cop out method, which is foolproof but not as tasty is to roll the cheese sticks up in spring roll wrappers and seal with an egg wash. They can be assembled way in advance and chilled and fried at the last minute. They are good but not nearly as good as the breaded variety.
    Tomilynn
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 7
    RE: deep fried cheese sticks 2005/12/31 15:54:29 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by apremerson

A cop out method, which is foolproof but not as tasty is to roll the cheese sticks up in spring roll wrappers and seal with an egg wash. They can be assembled way in advance and chilled and fried at the last minute. They are good but not nearly as good as the breaded variety.

I use the "cop out method" but I brush the cheese with pesto prior to rolling in the wrapper. Dip it in some marinara or even ranch dressing...it's awesome!
    BarbaraCt
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 333
    RE: deep fried cheese sticks 2005/12/31 16:01:40 (permalink)
    I've seen them on food network, where they breaded them and then FROZE them. That keeps the cheese from oozing out.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: deep fried cheese sticks 2005/12/31 16:43:24 (permalink)
    Here's one I have in my collection from www.pizzatoday.com - Though she does not say anything about freezing them, I've heard several times thats the proper way to avoid a mess in the fryer (as mentioned above).

Fried Mozzarella Cheese Sticks

16 ounces of mozzarella cheese
    3 large eggs, beaten
    1/2 cup water
    1-1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    2/3 cup flour
    1/3 cup corn starch
    Dash of salt and pepper
    1/4 cup of pizza sauce or honey mustard, for dipping

- Mix together the eggs and water and set aside.

- Combine the breadcrumbs, garlic powder, salt and pepper.

- In another separate container, mix the flour and cornstarch.

- Cut your mozzarella into any desired shape: squares, rectangles, or sticks.

- One at a time, dip each piece of mozzarella into the egg mixture, then bread crumbs, then flour.

- Fry the sticks until they are golden brown, and serve with desired dipping sauce.

Meredith Johnston is managing editor at PIZZA TODAY.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: deep fried cheese sticks 2005/12/31 17:48:32 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Tomilynn

quote:
    Originally posted by apremerson

I use the "cop out method" but I brush the cheese with pesto prior to rolling in the wrapper. Dip it in some marinara or even ranch dressing...it's awesome!

NO RANCH!
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: deep fried cheese sticks 2005/12/31 18:08:11 (permalink)
    As others have said, I have always heard that freezing sticks is the way to go.
    Tomilynn
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 7
    RE: deep fried cheese sticks 2006/01/01 22:04:40 (permalink)
    quote:

NO RANCH!

How about Alfredo sauce?
    tkitna
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 633
    RE: deep fried cheese sticks 2006/01/02 06:29:38 (permalink)
    I prefer cocktail sauce for dipping, but anything will do. (man do I love cheese sticks)
    meltedcheese
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 12
    RE: deep fried cheese sticks 2006/01/03 11:15:13 (permalink)
    Its funny cause although cheese is about my favourite food ( see, the nickname is appropriate ) I really can't say I've ever taken to cheese sticks. Maybe one day someone will make some cheee sticks that will really rock my world but to me its just not an appetising combination. I don't like deep fried brie or any cheese in breadcrumbs really. But I would say yes, freeze or thoroughly chill the sticks before frying that will help a lot. And as for sauce, I think I would want something like marinara or a salsa or maybe some kind of chutney - something to cut the grease a bit.
    CETURTL
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 77
    RE: deep fried cheese sticks 2006/07/22 05:57:22 (permalink)
    Freeze the sticks and watch your cook time closely, as soon as you see a spot of ooze, get them out of the grease. They cook quickly and should be watched closely. This is how I did it when I worked as a grill cook many years ago.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1