Hot!deep fried tacos

Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Author
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4629
2003/05/27 12:57:01 (permalink)

deep fried tacos

the Kansas taco thread got me to thinking about something I miss dearly. I grew up with nice fat tacos from a place called La Cocina in KCK that was run by a Santa Fe employee and his wife. they would put clothespins on the tacos to hold them closed, and dip them in the deep fryer for a few seconds. Sheer heaven, although I probably got a lifetime's worth of grease courtesy of those tacos. There were a few other drive in joints on the east side of KC that offered such a feast, but alas I'm in Oregon now. The tacos at Jack In The Box seem like they follow this concept, but even though they're good,
being corporate they aren't stuffed to overfilled. Does this treat exist anywhere else or was it a unique experience of my growing up?

90 Replies Related Threads

Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: deep fried tacos 2003/05/27 13:07:12 (permalink)
    Bill, there's a place in Austin named Nuevo Leon that serves something like you're talking about. They call them "old fashioned tacos". They stuff a meat mixture (also contains onion greens and some other stuff) into 2 corn tortillas then fry that. You get three of those with and order, stuffed after frying with lettuce and tomato. Just about my favorite in town...
    lvw
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 90
    RE: deep fried tacos 2003/05/27 14:19:40 (permalink)
    Well, there's a traditional Mexican dish called Flautas, which is shredded chicken and cheese rolled into a tortilla, held shut with a toothpick or such, and then deep fried. They are usually not very thick, though. About the size of a cigar.

Lisa
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    RE: deep fried tacos 2003/05/27 14:32:32 (permalink)
    True, but these were complete tacos w/cheese, beans, and lettuce, thrown in the vat and then coated with mexican cheese upon their exit from said deep fryer. chimichangas, supposedly invented in arizona, follow the same concept as the flautas,and I love both those treats, but the deep fried tacos have always seemed a different sort of beast to me. My sisters & I, now far flung from our KCK roots, have searched in vain for something that approximated the deep fried experience.
    Jennifer_4
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1511
    RE: deep fried tacos 2003/05/27 15:17:28 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by bill voss

True, but these were complete tacos w/cheese, beans, and lettuce, thrown in the vat and then coated with mexican cheese upon their exit from said deep fryer. chimichangas, supposedly invented in arizona, follow the same concept as the flautas,and I love both those treats, but the deep fried tacos have always seemed a different sort of beast to me. My sisters & I, now far flung from our KCK roots, have searched in vain for something that approximated the deep fried experience.

Bill, I understand how frustrating it is trying to find something you loved once, but now is near impossible to find done correctly, sometimes you just gotta try and make em at home.
    Here, the item known as "old fashioned" or "traditional" tacos include potatoes and cabbage along with the meat, and the corn tortillas is left soft, sometimes rolled, but not deep fried.
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    RE: deep fried tacos 2003/06/03 13:39:33 (permalink)
    I have a neighborhood Mexican place I don't visit very often because their salsa is like thick ketchup, however I went there Saturday with friends and found that they have a lunch menu now. I ordered the twofer and got a cheese enchilada and a potato and chorizo taco. I was surprised when the taco came deep fried as described with the filing, lettuce and cheese inside. It tasted pretty good but was a little hard to eat with dignity.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15286
    RE: deep fried tacos 2003/06/03 14:26:10 (permalink)
    The Jack in the Box version could be referred to as the White Castle of the Taco World....Great at 4am after a long night of Cantina crawl !!! Last time I tried them was last summer...still 2 for 99cents !! Give me $5 worth and a large Dr Pepper and I will be ready to start the evening all over again.
    Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: deep fried tacos 2003/06/12 16:00:08 (permalink)
    Does anyone know if Tico's is still open in Boulder, CO?
    ExtraMSG
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 66
    RE: deep fried tacos 2003/10/09 05:28:54 (permalink)
    Sounds like tacos dorado. You should probably put out some requests on this site, Chowhound, and egullet for recommendations wherever you are in Oregon (I'm in Portland). It's not an uncommon dish, but it's not one I normally order, so I don't have any specific recs.
    SharonTriv
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 44
    RE: deep fried tacos 2003/10/20 14:46:01 (permalink)
    I was introduced to deep fried tacos by my best friend in college, a Mexican girl whose aunt owned a Mexican restaurant in Newton, KS. She volunteered to make tacos for us one evening, and she browned some ground beef and also combined it in some potatoes cut in very small chunks and green peas! Then she toothpicked the flour tortillas shut (the tortillas home-made by her Mom), and deep fried the whole taco. Then we put in the tacos what we liked--cheese, shredded lettuce, tomatoes, salsa. I was really surprised by this method of making tacos, but don't think I have had a taco as good since those college days.
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    RE: deep fried tacos 2003/10/26 01:55:38 (permalink)
    hey sharon, where did you attend college? I'm beginning to think this is a center of the country thing, a heritage of deep frying good things to make them even better. Or, as homer would say:"grease, mmmmmm!"
    SharonTriv
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 44
    RE: deep fried tacos 2003/10/26 09:58:56 (permalink)
    Bill--Emporia, KS, home of KSTC now known as Emporia State University. I grew up in Johnson Co, KS, though now live in the East. I sure do miss the great Mexican food to be found in KS. My husand (a Philadelphian by birth) even misses it. I indoctrinated him pretty well while we lived in KC.
    syk9dl
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: deep fried tacos 2004/01/25 14:44:45 (permalink)
    There are numerous Mexican restaurants in Kansas City and surrounding cities that offer this type of taco. It is basically quite easy to prepare. Prepare your favorite recipe for taco meat-it should be cooked down until fairly dry. Find a good quality tortilla, one that puffs up when placed in hot oil Place taco meat inside of shell. You can use a tooth pick or simply hold the taco top together with the tongs that you will use to lower it into the hot grease. Careful! It will splatter. (Vegetable oil is best for you, but if you add about one tablespoon of lard to the oil, it will taste more authentic.) When golden brown and a little puffy, remove from the grease and drain. Stuff in cheese, lettuce, tomato and salsa. Enjoy.
    tlbartle
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 30
    RE: deep fried tacos 2004/02/16 22:06:18 (permalink)
    Here's the recipe for Jack-In-The-Box Tacos....

JACK IN THE BOX TACOS
    1 pound ground beef
    1/3 cup refried beans
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    2 tablespoons chili powder
    1/4 cup mild Ortega Taco Sauce
    12 soft corn tortillas
    3 cups vegetable oil
    6 slices American Cheese
    Lettuce, finely chopped
    Slowly brown the beef over low heat, using a wooden spoon to chop and stir the meat, keeping it very fine and smooth. When the beef is brown, drain the fat. Add the refried beans and use the wooden spoon to smash the whole beans into the mixture creating a smooth texture. Add salt, chili powder and taco sauce to the mixture. Remove from heat.
    Slice each piece of American cheese in half.
    In another skillet, heat 1/4 inch of oil until hot. A small piece of tortilla should bubble when dropped into the oil when it it ready. Spread 1/2 of the beef mixture on the center of each corn tortilla. Fold the tortillas over and press so that the beef filling acts as an adhesive and holds the sides together.
    Drop each taco into the hot oil and fry on both sides until crispy. When cooked, remove the tacos from the oil and place them on a rack or some paper towels until they are a little cooler. Pry open slightly and add 1/2 slice American cheese and some lettuce. Top additional taco sauce, to taste.

UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: deep fried tacos 2004/02/16 22:24:04 (permalink)
    Thanks TLBARTLE... Actually, beleive it or not, at this moment that sounds tasty! I'm in Michigan, and the only Jack in the Box around here would refer to a rabbit in a cage (Dont get me wrong, fried rabbit is good), but them tacos sound like they could hit the spot at the moment!
    tlbartle
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 30
    RE: deep fried tacos 2004/02/20 23:22:54 (permalink)
    The closest Jack-In-The Box to me is a couple of hours away, not really worth the special trip but do hit it when visiting relatives!
    Theedge
    • Total Posts : 1196
    RE: deep fried tacos 2004/05/22 12:10:15 (permalink)
    I love chimichangas but have not had luck making them at home, I think I tend to over stuff them. A bit different but during one of our monthly pot lucks here at work a lady deep fried hard shell tacos. She just took a hard shell taco, stuffed it with some taco meat, cheese and beans. I think she had like 1/4 inch of oil in an electric fry pan and and fried them on both sides, very tasty.
    stormycat
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 102
    RE: deep fried tacos 2004/05/22 13:54:34 (permalink)
    There is a place in Antioch, IL (SW Corner of Rt. 173 and Rt. 45) that has deep fried tacos. I am not even sure of the name of the place. It was just a fruit stand for many years that had excellent locally grown fruits and veggies with a little hut off to the side that sold dogs, polishs, gyros, burgers...all of your Chicago standards, all out of this world good. It was the tacos that I went there for. Not quite "traditional" tacos (I think they did have American cheese on them). Now they have moved there food operations next door into a old bar. It is still great.
    captndiet
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: deep fried tacos 2004/05/22 18:06:13 (permalink)
    In Des Moines,Iowa are several places called "Tasty Taco's". These are by far my favorite tacos. They have ground beef, kidney beans, lettuce, cheddar cheese and some excellent sauce on the side. But the shell is special. It is lightly fried, but I think it is the shell that makes it taste so good. Anyone out there care to share the recipe for these shells? I would pay for this recipe!
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    RE: deep fried tacos 2004/05/23 12:04:23 (permalink)
    Chimis are made with flour tortillas, but I imagine the amount of time in the deep fryer is key for both. What I was rhapsodizing about was a true dunk in the deep fryer, much like egg rolls. This must be the anti-adkins thread.
    stormycat
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 102
    RE: deep fried tacos 2004/05/23 12:26:24 (permalink)
    Has anybody ever tried the Burger King tacos? I have to admit that I like them.
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    RE: deep fried tacos 2004/05/23 12:45:49 (permalink)
    We don't get them in Oregon anymore, but the time I had one, they put a cold piece of hamburger cheese on the taco. That was it for me.
    lukenleia
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: deep fried tacos 2004/06/17 14:35:48 (permalink)
    Does anyone know of any place in Iowa besides Tasty Taco in Des Moines that serves the deep fried tacos. Its getting a little expensive to drive to Des Moines when I get a craving for them?????
    Thank you .
    Maynerd
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 256
    RE: deep fried tacos 2004/06/17 16:25:29 (permalink)
    Stormycat, I've had the Burger King tacos, and I thought they were very close to the JITB tacos. But lets just say that I was, ahem, not fully functional when I made my assessment!

Have you had JITB tacos too? If so how do you think they compare to the Burger King tacos?
    Maynerd
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 256
    RE: deep fried tacos 2004/06/17 16:33:38 (permalink)
    lukenleia, I don't know if Mason City, IA is near you , but I found this: http://www.masoncity.com/mcdt/rvwpastm.html

by typing in "deep fried tacos in Iowa" in Yahoo's search engine!

Found this: http://rudystacosqc.com/WDavenport/WDMenu.cfm

By typing in " deep fried tacos in davenport" !
    fiftiesfan
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: deep fried tacos 2004/08/28 11:38:36 (permalink)
    Just found this sight while searching for recipe for taco meat i remember from long ago. I too ate tacos in Kansas City KS. They were deep fried and had a special meat mixture which you could buy by the pound from the grocery on Kansas Ave owned by the same people that owned the restaurant. These tacos were held together with toothpicks for their deep fry bath, then opened up for adding lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, etc. I have decided to try duplicating the meat by trial & error tasting. Their meat was not at all like the wimpy ground beef mixtures in every other taco I've tried. It had the consistency of pate', and probably had pork and/or veal or chicken blended with it. I think garlic and onions and a fair amount of comino probably were in the blend. Any of you KC ex-pats recall anything like this?
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    RE: deep fried tacos 2004/08/28 12:25:11 (permalink)
    Do you mean Molina's, at 3rd and Kansas Ave.?
    ericats
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 112
    RE: deep fried tacos 2004/08/28 12:50:21 (permalink)
    In Los Angeles, when I was growing up in the 60s and early 70s, the tacos that were served in restaurants were deep fried (they are now known as "hard tacos"). It wasn't until the new wave of Mexican immigration in the mid 70s that we started seeing "soft tacos." They weren't called soft tacos at the time but you knew that the taco would be made with corn tortillas based upon the filling (carne asada as opposed to seasoned ground beef.)

The minimalism of the soft taco made it delicious! Just bbqed meat with chopped onion and cilantro and if you liked it spicy some chile arbol salsa.

I prefer soft tacos to hard (a lot less fat) but I consider hard tacos to be one of my comfort foods; there is a place on Sunset called Barragan's that I think has some of the best hard tacos around. Also, Tito's Tacos in Culver City still makes hard tacos and they are really good too.
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4042
    RE: deep fried tacos 2004/08/28 14:57:46 (permalink)
    Tito's is definitely an old standby. While I do prefer the soft tacos, especially with al pastor, carnitas or birria, a nice chicken hard taco once in a while hit's the spot!
    fiftiesfan
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: deep fried tacos 2004/08/28 19:24:03 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by bill voss

Do you mean Molina's, at 3rd and Kansas Ave.?

Yes! That's it! We used to buy the meat, and their homemade sauce, tamales, and tortillas. I really would like to get their recipe for the meat. My mother tried for years to get them to part wilth it, but was never successful.
    Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1