difference between custard and Ice cream

Author
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13493
2003/04/14 04:24:41 (permalink)

difference between custard and Ice cream

I was reading where rumbelly made his own ice cream. I like the custard in Milwaukee. How do you home make it?

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

19 Replies Related Threads

jessicazee
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 132
    RE: difference between custard and Ice cream 2003/04/14 19:41:43 (permalink)
    This recipe looks pretty close>>>
    http://www.recipesource.com/desserts/ice-cream/01/rec0103.html
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: difference between custard and Ice cream 2003/04/14 20:55:44 (permalink)
    Thanks Jessicazee, You have improved my body fat by at least -10%. Just kidding and I will try your recipe this weekend

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Julia I
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: difference between custard and Ice cream 2003/05/30 08:40:35 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

Thanks Jessicazee, You have improved my body fat by at least -10%. Just kidding and I will try your recipe this weekend

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

I always thought that the difference between vanilla frozen custard and french vanilla ice cream was the machine used to make them, since the ingredients are pretty identical. I would be curious to know how your recipe turned out, and how it compares to the custard that you have purchased in the past.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: difference between custard and Ice cream 2003/05/30 14:53:08 (permalink)
    Guess I'm a little slow, but I just caught on: What most of you are calling frozen custard is what some of us call french Ice cream.
    What I call frozen custard is that stuff made in machines in roadside stands that is made from fake just about every thing.
    I guess its skim milk, artificial flavors,and thickened with some sort of seaweed extract. Not that its so bad - I've enjoyed it on many occasions.

French Ice cream is made by first making an egg rich custard with pure vanilla ( or some other flavoring) and adding heavy cream and perhaps some some fruit and freezing it in the old
    White Mountain...
    Jennifer_4
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1509
    RE: difference between custard and Ice cream 2003/05/30 15:14:29 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

I'll probably never get to taste "authentic" midwestern custard, but the frozen custards I've tried out here.. I'm not sure I like as opposed to regular ice cream, maybe it's the egg taste in it.. now baked custard is another matter, that I could eat a roomful of. BTW Paul, Congrats on double cheeseburger status..but with all the secrecy surrounding what would happen at the 500 mark, I'm a little dissappointed.. I was hoping for something more unusual.
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2880
    RE: difference between custard and Ice cream 2003/06/04 04:03:01 (permalink)
    Like us all jumping out of the bushes and squirting you with ketchup and mustard? If we all lived closer to eachother, I think we would. I wish a pulled pork sandwich would have popped out of the disk drive. Forgive my sense of humor..it's very late here.
    Jennifer_4
    • Total Posts : 1509
    RE: difference between custard and Ice cream 2003/06/04 05:40:53 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by EliseT

Like us all jumping out of the bushes and squirting you with ketchup and mustard? If we all lived closer to eachother, I think we would. I wish a pulled pork sandwich would have popped out of the disk drive. Forgive my sense of humor..it's very late here.

LOL! well we would be squirting Paul with ketchup and mustard, not me
    ..but I was hoping he would turn into something a little more large like a monster ice cream/custard sundae or a 57 oz steak dinner...
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15272
    RE: difference between custard and Ice cream 2003/06/04 06:59:40 (permalink)
    It would seem that there would be some official recognition issued by the management, beyond gluing a third star on Paul's forehead. A notice acknowledging his achievement reading like Elise's would be appropriate!!
    As we passed by the "Big Texan Steak House" last week I was reminded of the time about 15 years ago when we (2 of my sons and I) stopped in to eat there. Both boys asked if they could try the 72oz challenge. I did not , settling for a rack of ribs. They both finished the meal within the given time, thus saving me the $24 tab for each (at the time). They then fell asleep in the car and didn't move til we got to OK City. There are times when our food fetish can interfere with 'normal daily schedule'. AT Least there names are inscribed in the Steak-Eater's "Win" list.
    We are planning a "1000 Party" for Paul...Anyone who wants to meet us at the Moonlite in Owensboro can share in the celebration...sometime in July we figure...hehehe
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: difference between custard and Ice cream 2003/06/04 08:03:21 (permalink)
    I have never been to Owensboro. I would like to visit there as I understand it is the home of one of my favorite NASCAR drivers, Michael Waltrip.

The Moonlite seems like a great idea. My travel gives me a lot of flexability. Since you recommened it, I assume it is a great place.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Julia I
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: difference between custard and Ice cream 2003/06/05 10:57:56 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by seafarer john

Guess I'm a little slow, but I just caught on: What most of you are calling frozen custard is what some of us call french Ice cream.
    What I call frozen custard is that stuff made in machines in roadside stands that is made from fake just about every thing.

Frozen custard is definitely not French ice cream, the texture is entirely different, not to mention the fact that it comes in many, many different flavors. The roadside stand stuff simply gives frozen custard a bad name. Come visit us here in the Midwest and we'll let you try the real thing. Or wait long enough and Culver's (a growing chain) may come to you!
    marberthenad
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 509
    RE: difference between custard and Ice cream 2004/02/21 17:22:45 (permalink)
    Had something delicious earlier this week in North Carolina called Goodberry's. Dunno whether that was french vanilla or what. But it was delicious. Anyone know of any good frozen custard in the DC area?
    jpatweb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 232
    RE: difference between custard and Ice cream 2004/02/29 06:58:11 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by marberthenad

Had something delicious earlier this week in North Carolina called Goodberry's. Dunno whether that was french vanilla or what. But it was delicious. Anyone know of any good frozen custard in the DC area?

Two chains, Kohr Bros. and Dickey's, are sprinkled throughout the MD and VA suburbs. They'll do in a pinch. Dickey's has a branch on I Street, pretty close to the Farragut West Metro stop. The Frozen Dairy Bar on Arlington Blvd. in Falls Church has been around for decades (a rare thing in the DC area), though I miss its original building. The new spot is wedged into a strip mall. My favorite is the Del Ray Dreamery in Alexandria. Nice neighborhood spot. The woman that owns it is from Wisconsin, which in the realm of custard puts her on solid footing. Two flavors a day, vanilla and something else. Last night was thin mint. Also has brat nights on certain Fridays during the winter and there's always a case crammed with homebaked cookies and pies.
    marberthenad
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: difference between custard and Ice cream 2004/02/29 07:09:08 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jpatweb

quote:

Two chains, Kohr Bros. and Dickey's, are sprinkled throughout the MD and VA suburbs. They'll do in a pinch. Dickey's has a branch on I Street, pretty close to the Farragut West Metro stop. The Frozen Dairy Bar on Arlington Blvd. in Falls Church has been around for decades (a rare thing in the DC area), though I miss its original building. The new spot is wedged into a strip mall. My favorite is the Del Ray Dreamery in Alexandria. Nice neighborhood spot. The woman that owns it is from Wisconsin, which in the realm of custard puts her on solid footing. Two flavors a day, vanilla and something else. Last night was thin mint. Also has brat nights on certain Fridays during the winter and there's always a case crammed with homebaked cookies and pies.

Del Ray's website looks great! (Interesting note on her site on "third places" http://www.delraydreamery.com/about.asp. Now I have to go and check it out myself, maybe today, since it seems that spring has hit 'round these parts ...
    marberthenad
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: difference between custard and Ice cream 2004/02/29 14:06:44 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:
    Originally posted by jpatweb

quote:

Del Ray's website looks great! (Interesting note on her site on "third places" http://www.delraydreamery.com/about.asp. Now I have to go and check it out myself, maybe today, since it seems that spring has hit 'round these parts ...

Just got back from our luncheon trip. (I was also hoping to try out the Blue & White Carry Out in Alexandria, but they were closed). But I would second jpatweb's recommendation to check out Del Ray Dreamery ....
    marberthenad
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: difference between custard and Ice cream 2004/09/19 17:47:32 (permalink)
    Another frozen custard recommendation is Luv-It Frozen Custard in Las Vegas. Deee-licious ...

http://www.luvitfrozencustard.com/

Danmel
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 193
    RE: difference between custard and Ice cream 2004/09/19 22:14:38 (permalink)
    Anyone know of any frozen custard on Long Island?? I last had it somewhere at the Inner harbor in Baltimore- so yummy.
    ConeyIslandLou
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 752
    RE: difference between custard and Ice cream 2004/09/19 22:30:22 (permalink)
    quote:

Another frozen custard recommendation is Luv-It Frozen Custard in Las Vegas. Deee-licious ...

http://www.luvitfrozencustard.com/

or how about Abbott's in the Rochester area (although..they now have a store in Norwalk CT!! And at last report..very oddly....an outlet in...TOKYO!

http://www.abbottscustard.com/
    Spudnut
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 655
    RE: difference between custard and Ice cream 2004/09/19 23:26:06 (permalink)
    Custard (or, as some say, frozen custard) is certainly popular where I come from in Western NY (Buffalo area). As a child, I always enjoyed Hibbard's Custard in Lewiston, NY, and Anderson's, in North Tonawanda. In NYC, it's worth bearing in mind Custard Beach, located in Battery Park City and the Village. Very good stuff, served in waffle cones.

I have a client in Norwalk, CT, and look forward to trying Abbott's sometime. I've had it in Rochester and liked it.
    carlton pierre
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: difference between custard and Ice cream 2004/09/22 18:45:21 (permalink)
    I love frozen custard. Another one of those things you don't find much in the south, though I did see and try one in Atlanta a few months ago. Looked like a fairly new chain starting up.
    Also had one east of Cleveland in Mentor, OH as well. They're all over the midwest.

carl reitz
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1