do i need a exhaust hood????

Author
zimm3839
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 31
2012/01/11 14:15:23 (permalink)

do i need a exhaust hood????

Im putting together a business plan. Gonna do hot cold sandwiches, soups, salads....
No fryers. maybe a small flat top. commercial oven. Im exploring putting in a fan. Just want to stay away from big exhaust vent hood... 
Im in iowa and on border of illinois.

15 Replies Related Threads

Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3716
    Re:do i need a exhaust hood???? 2012/01/11 15:31:40 (permalink)
    No one here can tell you what you do or do not need, every health department is different. You need to contact your local HD. Do a search here and you'll find threads on business plans, and all types of food service operations. They will quickly get you up to speed.
    Good luck
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7281
    Re:do i need a exhaust hood???? 2012/01/11 15:40:04 (permalink)
    I'm thinking that with a small flattop and commercial oven, you're going to need a hood.  When I worked in Cathedral City, CA they made the owner put one in even though we only had two burners for making soup and a panini machine.
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    Re:do i need a exhaust hood???? 2012/01/11 18:05:52 (permalink)
    lleechef, with all due respect what may I ask do the rules in Cathedral City, CA, have to do with the rules in Iowa? There are parts of this country that do not require a hood, just as there are cities that require a hood if you heat a can of soup, in a microwave.
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4615
    Re:do i need a exhaust hood???? 2012/01/12 08:40:04 (permalink)
    Dr of BBQ

lleechef, with all due respect what may I ask do the rules in Cathedral City, CA, have to do with the rules in Iowa? There are parts of this country that do not require a hood, just as there are cities that require a hood if you heat a can of soup, in a microwave.

As I see it her post supports your point ... her's was a report "from the trenches" every place can be different.
    We are just having a conversation.
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    Re:do i need a exhaust hood???? 2012/01/12 09:08:43 (permalink)
    Gregg,
    I understand it's just a conversation, but the problem that continues month after month on the Pro thread is new people getting less than solid advice. It's always done with good intentions or as part of a conversation.
    But I've watched several new people seek advice here and for some time continue to not contact their local HD and in one fairly recent case a prospective vendor had to do a drastic and costly, remodel of a near completed trailer when it was finely looked at by local officials.
    For some reason new folks seem at best apprehensive to go and talk to the people that are going to be the final decision makers on the legality of their efforts. They tend to try and get advice here or at best read the rules posted online by the local officials. Often the rules are vague or difficult to understand and can be interpreted differently by the reader vs the inspector.
    And then the question that comes up here from the vendor is "how to get around this rule or that requirement". There is no way around the rules, and there are no set rules that apply across the nation.
    Bottom line if those with pro experience stood solid on this question and in unison directed the new person to their local HD they would help save the prospective vendor money, time, and a great deal of frustration. 
    These people have a dream and really need some solid advice not just an opinion from afar.
    Sorry for the rant but I see some conversation here that passes for professional direction that may be hurtful or costly if followed.

Jack
    BackAlleyBurger
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1077
    Re:do i need a exhaust hood???? 2012/01/12 09:51:51 (permalink)
    i have to second what DR is saying......
    when i first got seriously started on this venture, about the same time i found ROADFOOD, in all honesty i had already bought the truck( i knew i could have one here) and was looking for my first equipment purchase just to get one under my belt and make the whole thing legit.....
    i drove past the HD i bet you 6 times before i got the nerve to actually go in and speak to someone..... it was almost apprehension like when your in school and go to the principles office the first time, lol

i guess it was sort of like i was looking for affirmation before going to the officials, so i knew i had a leg to stand on if/when they turned something down, or i had to "debate" them on an issue
    ice cream freezer for example, they said it wouldnt fly, but agreed i could use it to get the doors open...... 

but with that said, i have enough sense to know that just because billy bob can do it in florida, dont make it so here(but it does give me another question to ask if its something important that i may need to know in my area....... one of the first things i did/do when i see someone saying something that may concern me, is where do they live, lol.....

i guess what i am trying to say is that in my case anyway, i hate the idea of some city/county/state nitwit telling me i cant do this or that because my 304 stainless wasnt touched by the magical NSF wizard waving his magic wand, lol

but now that i have broken the ice with them, i am a lot more comfortable and at ease when i have a question, or want to ask about something new....
    BackAlleyBurger
    • Total Posts : 1077
    Re:do i need a exhaust hood???? 2012/01/12 10:01:06 (permalink)
    and yes....i WILL DEBATE...... i refuse to accept negative answers just for the sake they have the power to give them..... there better be a good reason for it, and they need to explain to me why in a way i can understand.....

again ice cream freezer as example, went from no, to ok, we will agree with your point and allow its use at least temporarily ......
    i dont rub them the wrong way, but i stand my ground when i feel i have a legit case....... and i am very careful to pick my battles accordingly so when i do need a little leeway i am more apt to get it......
    i think my way of dealing with them has work beautifully so far, and as long as i dont try and get stupid with them we will have a long fruitful relationship with mutual respect and some common sense
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7281
    Re:do i need a exhaust hood???? 2012/01/12 11:22:17 (permalink)
    I was only stating that something as stupid as soup and a sandwich required a hood in that particular location.  Didn't mean to imply that was the norm everywhere.
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    Re:do i need a exhaust hood???? 2012/01/12 11:34:08 (permalink)
    I understand and sometime I sound harsh it's just that these new people need to be directed to their local HD. I hate it when they get in a jam over not knowing that should be their first stop. And half the time their getting bad advice from some local former restaurant worker who if the truth be know was a 6 month dishwasher. LOL
    Jack
    lornaschinske
    • Total Posts : 1610
    Re:do i need a exhaust hood???? 2012/01/12 11:34:29 (permalink)
    We  do hot/cold sandwiches. We use a single gas burner and a small 11" hand held griddle. David can toast the bread and the sear the meat. easy to pick up the pan and tip it to get the spatula under the meat & melted cheese on to the bread. We use a 24" wide 12vDC hood vent from an RV for our hood vent. The exterior vent pipe is PVC with a metal cap on the top (keeps the rain out). A vent is very helpful to get the smoke generated from searing the meat out of the enclosed cart. It's also less "greasy" in there now. What I am saying is, even if you aren't required to have one, at least get a small one to vent the smoke and cooking smells out. Our NM HD has seen our hood vent and said nothing about it. You do need to check with your local HD.  ALWAYS check your your HD.
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4615
    Re:do i need a exhaust hood???? 2012/01/12 12:54:41 (permalink)
    lleechef

I was only stating that something as stupid as soup and a sandwich required a hood in that particular location.  Didn't mean to imply that was the norm everywhere.

I know.  I heard you for what you said and never got the inference that you were claiming authority or knowledge of Bettendorf Iowa.

chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6186
    Re:do i need a exhaust hood???? 2012/01/12 17:26:38 (permalink)
    You may or may not need a hood for a limited operation, BUT if you are indeed successful, I have no doubt you'll need a hood for your French Fries  erc., better to put it in now than later, IMHO!
    Chicnscoop
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 291
    Re:do i need a exhaust hood???? 2012/01/13 08:37:20 (permalink)
    My sister owns a bar and was shutdown from making sandwiches by the HD for using a George forman grill without a hood. She never asked and just assumed that a small appliance like that would be ok.

Always ask the proper authorities.

When I built my trailer I was very nervious to talk to my HD because they have a rep of being difficult for no reason. When I talked to them and consulted them the whole way through the tough lady was a pussycat to deal with and we ended up with a 100 on our opening inspection. It turns out she was diffucult with other food establishment in my town for a reason. After being in the business and seeing a few of the other kitchens in town I fully know why they were being given a hard time - their kitchens should be shut down in my opinion because they are disgustingly dirty and improperly handle food all the time.
    post edited by Chicnscoop - 2012/01/13 08:39:13
    zimm3839
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 31
    Re:do i need a exhaust hood???? 2012/01/15 13:56:00 (permalink)
    Thankyou for your opinions. I will talk to local hd. Dr I may have to come down and try your bbq. Your like what about 4 hours from me????

Barry Digman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 120
    Re:do i need a exhaust hood???? 2012/01/15 14:40:56 (permalink)
    I would be inclined to put one in. As Lorna points out, it adds to the comfort of the kitchen. In addition, the more flexible your trailer or truck the better able you are to serve your customers wants.

I've never been a fan of working to minimum. Set the standard. If someone wants to set up next door to you make sure you've got a rig and a menu and service that will be tough to compete against because you went the extra mile during the build.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1