don’t treat baby boomer as “old.”

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Chicnscoop
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 291
Re:don’t treat baby boomer as “old.” 2012/05/19 11:06:21 (permalink)
You old farts crack me up but the young people piss me off. I must be getting old even though I was born 3 years too late to be a baby boomer. People tell me I look 30 but I feel 60 most days.

Like Billy Crystal said on SNL "It is better to look good than feel good and you look Mmarvelous" - I say B.S.
post edited by Chicnscoop - 2012/05/19 11:07:26
CCinNJ
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7778
Re:don’t treat baby boomer as “old.” 2012/05/19 11:46:53 (permalink)
Look cute and get away with murder. It keeps your blood pressure low.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10257
Re:don’t treat baby boomer as “old.” 2012/05/19 19:06:22 (permalink)
Thank God for Old Farts!
I'm passing this on as I did not want to be the only old fart receiving it.
Actually, it's not a bad thing to be called, as you will see.

Old Farts are easy to spot at sporting events; during the playing of the Star Spangled Banner, Old Farts remove their caps and stand at attention and sing without embarrassment.  
They know the words and believe in them.
Old Farts remember World War II, Pearl Harbor,  Guadalcanal  ,  Normandy  and Hitler.

They remember the Atomic Age, the Korean War, The Cold War , the Jet Age and the Moon Landing.
They remember the 50 plus Peacekeeping Missions from 1945 to 2005, not to mention Vietnam  .
If you bump into an Old Fart on the sidewalk he will apologize.

If you pass an Old Fart on the street, he will nod or tip his cap to a lady.
Old Farts trust strangers and are courtly to women. 
Old Farts hold the door for the next person and always, when walking, make certain the lady is on the inside for protection.
Old Farts get embarrassed if someone curses in front of women and children and they don't like any filth or dirty language on TV or in movies.
Old Farts have moral courage and personal integrity.

They seldom brag unless it's about their children or grandchildren.
It's the Old Farts who know our great country is protected, not by politician's, but by the young men and women in the military serving their country.
This country needs Old Farts with their work ethic, sense of responsibility, pride in their country and decent values. 
Old Farts were taught to respect their elders.

We need them now more than ever.  
It's just getting harder to find them.
Pass this on to all the Young Farts you know so they know what to do when they become Old Farts!

post edited by Foodbme - 2012/05/19 19:11:45
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:don’t treat baby boomer as “old.” 2012/05/19 19:16:16 (permalink)
So everyone is the same?

Every person fought in a war...waited until their wedding night...just said no to drugs...ate all their vegetables...and said their prayers?

The people who are decent wonderful brave people get grouped with the ones who might have been abusive alcoholics who went out for a pack of cigarettes and poof. They get the magic wand treatment of being a certain age to wash away their faults.

post edited by CCinNJ - 2012/05/19 19:26:52
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:don’t treat baby boomer as “old.” 2012/05/19 19:25:05 (permalink)
CCinNJ
So everyone is the same?
Every person fought in a war...waited until their wedding night...just said no to drugs...ate all their vegetables...and said their prayers?

Yep, and gave up candy during Lent!
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:don’t treat baby boomer as “old.” 2012/05/19 19:29:24 (permalink)
Remember some of them may have put razor blades in the candy and gave it out at Halloween in the 70s.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:don’t treat baby boomer as “old.” 2012/05/19 19:53:49 (permalink)
CCinNJ
Remember some of them may have put razor blades in the candy and gave it out at Halloween in the 70s.

Every generation in the History of Man has had a few bad apples in their barrel.
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:don’t treat baby boomer as “old.” 2012/05/19 20:01:16 (permalink)
My Father carries my Communion picture in his wallet so if we are ever out and some miserable people start the gasp Sugar Daddy stuff. Lol
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3716
Re:don’t treat baby boomer as “old.” 2012/05/19 20:03:36 (permalink)
Foodbme

Thank God for Old Farts!
I'm passing this on as I did not want to be the only old fart receiving it.
Actually, it's not a bad thing to be called, as you will see.

Old Farts are easy to spot at sporting events; during the playing of the Star Spangled Banner, Old Farts remove their caps and stand at attention and sing without embarrassment.  
They know the words and believe in them.
Old Farts remember World War II, Pearl Harbor,  Guadalcanal  ,  Normandy  and Hitler.

They remember the Atomic Age, the Korean War, The Cold War , the Jet Age and the Moon Landing.
They remember the 50 plus Peacekeeping Missions from 1945 to 2005, not to mention Vietnam  .
If you bump into an Old Fart on the sidewalk he will apologize.

If you pass an Old Fart on the street, he will nod or tip his cap to a lady.
Old Farts trust strangers and are courtly to women. 
Old Farts hold the door for the next person and always, when walking, make certain the lady is on the inside for protection.
Old Farts get embarrassed if someone curses in front of women and children and they don't like any filth or dirty language on TV or in movies.
Old Farts have moral courage and personal integrity.

They seldom brag unless it's about their children or grandchildren.
It's the Old Farts who know our great country is protected, not by politician's, but by the young men and women in the military serving their country.
This country needs Old Farts with their work ethic, sense of responsibility, pride in their country and decent values. 
Old Farts were taught to respect their elders.

We need them now more than ever.  
It's just getting harder to find them.

Well I could not agree more. But I'm young enough to remember wishing that some of the older guys would retire so I could have a shot at their job. Now I'm the guy that young people look at and think.....
jack
FriedClamFanatic
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1670
Re:don’t treat baby boomer as “old.” 2012/05/19 23:08:39 (permalink)
Grins...............when I was a Junior in High School, my g/f knitted me a sweater.great wonderfully warm bulky thing.  Despite a patch or two for moths (or being reckless), I plan on wearing it to my 45th reunion next year.  Alas, some of the sports coats from my college days that still hang in my closet may be a bit tight around the middle.

So.an addition to the OLD FARTS column:

Old Farts recognize the value of a dollar and thrift...and really get worried watching how some boomers and non-boomers want to sqwander it all away
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:don’t treat baby boomer as “old.” 2012/05/19 23:51:25 (permalink)
Maybe it is how and where I was raised...but we were never taught to treat people with sympathy or charity (with common courtesy extended to everyone no matter what age) just because they are a certain age. Offering a discount to someone just because they appear to be a certain age is an assumption that could easily be considered offensive. Why? Because all people live SS check to SS check? They all have health problems?

Many of the same people that must have been having a big Avon party at Woodstock while the senior citizens had fits are in the same boat...but don't remember...unless the topic is music.
post edited by CCinNJ - 2012/05/19 23:58:42
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:don’t treat baby boomer as “old.” 2012/05/19 23:55:36 (permalink)
CCinNJ
Maybe it is how and where I was raised...but we were never taught to treat people with sympathy or charity just because they are a certain age. Offering a discount to someone just because they appear to be a certain age is an assumption that could easily be considered offensive. Why? Because all people live SS check to SS check? They all have health problems?
Many of the same people that must have been having a big Avon party at Woodstock while the senior citizens had fits are in the same boat...but don't remember...unless the topic is music.

This bunch of disconnected and unrelated thoughts make no sense.

CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:don’t treat baby boomer as “old.” 2012/05/20 00:04:12 (permalink)
As a business standpoint the article is about how baby boomers do not want to be treated. I would think that relates to offered discounts for a large group of people in that age range. That's a slippery slope. That's the point.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:don’t treat baby boomer as “old.” 2012/05/20 01:35:17 (permalink)
CCinNJ
As a business standpoint the article is about how baby boomers do not want to be treated. I would think that relates to offered discounts for a large group of people in that age range. That's a slippery slope. That's the point.

According to the article, Boomers are looking for discounts but they're calling it something else. The net effect is that it's a discount:

Fast food: A wish for frequent-visitor cards. “They want to be rewarded for their loyalty,” said Bonnie Riggs, restaurant industry analyst for NPD's foodservice division. 

Family dining: “They want pick-and-choose options, to be treated like a valued customer — like, ‘I’m glad that you’re here’ — and value combos,” she said.

Casual dining: “They are looking for daily specials, to be rewarded for their loyalty,” Riggs said.

Bottom line, they want recognition for their loyality in some form of a discount.
"What ya gonna give me for doing business with youze?"
It's how they want to be treated. Show me someone who doesn't want "A Deal' And I'll show you someone who doesn't care about the value of money and prices.

CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:don’t treat baby boomer as “old.” 2012/05/20 01:47:12 (permalink)
That whole what are you gonna give me to eat here mindset combined with age-related targeted marketing that now seems to begin at age 48 might be some evidence that customers are really more focused on the types of places where it's not about good quality food and service...well worth the price. That's why people wax poetic about those good old days....while having a cup of free or discounted coffee use a coupon or buy a $5 footlong at a fast food place.

You do get what you pay for...and sometimes it sucks while you're doing it...with fewer and fewer choices. That's also why many of the younger generation might only know the dollar menu...and grow old before their time.
post edited by CCinNJ - 2012/05/20 01:54:19
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:don’t treat baby boomer as “old.” 2012/05/20 02:16:55 (permalink)
CCinNJ

That whole what are you gonna give me to eat here mindset combined with age-related targeted marketing that now seems to begin at age 48 might be some evidence that customers are really more focused on the types of places where it's not about good quality food and service...well worth the price. That's why people wax poetic about those good old days....while having a cup of free or discounted coffee use a coupon or buy a $5 footlong at a fast food place.
You do get what you pay for...and sometimes it sucks while you're doing it...with fewer and fewer choices. That's also why many of the younger generation might only know the dollar menu...and grow old before their time.

The Era of Fine Dining may be on the decline but will still exist for those who can still afford it. When I look at the menus and prices of the top places, it takes my breath away. I'm a middle class guy and several years ago, I could occasionally go to a top restaurant for special occasions, but not any more. Several years ago the meal would be in the $50-75 range including drinks. Today, that same meal is $100-125 without drinks!
The middle class has resigned itself to accepting Casual Dining as their expected norm of an acceptable meal. Many of the fine dining places in the Phoenix area have "downsized" to Casual Dining or upscale burger joints. Some casual dining restaurants are very good places, but they ain't Charlie Trotters or The French Laundry!
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:don’t treat baby boomer as “old.” 2012/05/20 09:47:34 (permalink)
It also comes down to subscribing to the casual loss leaders and opting for the perception of you deserve a break today...so eat here instead of Mom & Pop because see we target oops value you (here's your value meal) here's your coupon (you get unlimited breadsticks too) don't cook tonight we have a senior bucket for you!!

The notion that your business must not be valuable or appreciated because you can have more of less value and quality so jump on that and what else is out there. It's a calculated target marketing plan but woohoo senior savings ( now baby boomer bang for the buck)...in the hopes that you drop more of the largest percentage of discretionary income for a group of people...according to their studies. So much to the point where if there is no discount or special available some feel slighted and complain.

I am thankul that many of the best places in this area have survived and thrived because so many people who might be offered a just because discount feel they don't need it and would rather pay a little extra (or not) and maybe wait a few minutes for top quality food...and everyone feels appreciated.

Oh..and people dripping with diamonds from QVC at Costco making lunch out of free samples. Lol

It seems to go against every notion that these are those people busting with pride can recognize value.

Generic discounts to a targeted group seems very hmmm how shall I say...liberal. Gasp!
post edited by CCinNJ - 2012/05/20 10:25:50
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8362
Re:don’t treat baby boomer as “old.” 2012/05/20 10:50:46 (permalink)
Baby boomers, supposedly, are people born between 1946 and 1963. The rest of you are just inexperienced, or just old farts!
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:don’t treat baby boomer as “old.” 2012/05/20 10:54:42 (permalink)
I am innocent! Lol
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8362
Re:don’t treat baby boomer as “old.” 2012/05/20 11:04:41 (permalink)

CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:don’t treat baby boomer as “old.” 2012/05/20 16:26:14 (permalink)
The boomers don't want a special boom boom menu?

Tapioca pudding is for dessert!
gostillerz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 220
Re:don’t treat baby boomer as “old.” 2012/05/20 20:34:29 (permalink)
I'd love to see another "study" on those subjects. Take away their Social Security checks and Medicare. I'd wager they would magically feel old.

Baby boomers..You are old no matter how hard you try to prove otherwise.
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
Re:don’t treat baby boomer as “old.” 2012/05/21 07:24:27 (permalink)
This is from another article that, promises :To explore the ways purchasing decisions vary across different groups, Nation’s Restaurant News canvassed six experts in the fields of consumer behavior, branding, foodservice and demographic trends for their insights into the mind of today’s consumer.

Beyond those aspects, the nuances of each demographic group begin to emerge. As a rule, younger consumers — Under 18, Millennials and Gen Xers — were said to care more about a brand’s authenticity. In fact, that quality was said to be most important among the Under 18 group. Older consumers and those with families were more likely to be drawn to brands that offered a service style suited to their needs and brands that offered healthful cuisine.

Still, personal connection with a brand emerged as a universally desired trait, underscoring the idea that today’s restaurant consumers want more than just to fill their bellies. They seek a deeper relationship with brands that can seamlessly blend into their lifestyles and offer experiences uniquely tailored to their needs.

For the full report, including additional demographic breakdowns, restaurant chain case studies and added input from industry experts, see the April 30 issue of Nation’s Restaurant News. The following pages are only a sample of the report

Read more: http://nrn.com/article/targeting-your-demographic?utm_source=MagnetMail&utm_medium=email&utm_term=JACK@DROFBBQ.COM&utm_content=NRN-News-NRNam-05-21-12#ixzz1vVBnOTTy
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:don’t treat baby boomer as “old.” 2012/05/21 11:50:07 (permalink)
Very difficult to target market in NYC. You'd have to take into account all sorts of visitor/tourist demographics and the best you can do with that study is become a tourist trap.
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
Re:don’t treat baby boomer as “old.” 2012/05/21 17:11:33 (permalink)
Every town in America gets tourist to some degree, and these numbers that they are about to publish are at best an average. Not to be a jerk but this should be a chance to look at some good demographic breakdowns, and see who (age group) is buying what. It's a study that no one on this list could afford to do on their own, but it will give everyone here a chance to look at the numbers and make some comparison to their customers.
And in that way it works in every city big and small from cost to cost.
marco226
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 177
Re:don’t treat baby boomer as “old.” 2012/05/22 20:12:31 (permalink)
THE DOCTOR IS ALWAYS RIGHT 56 IS CORRECT!!!
marco226
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 177
Re:don’t treat baby boomer as “old.” 2012/05/22 20:16:23 (permalink)
THE DOCTOR IS ALWAYS RIGHT 56 IS CORRECT
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1