eggplant parm subs?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 222
RE: eggplant parm subs? 2005/07/27 09:55:41 (permalink)
Sam's Restraunt in Dobbs Ferry, NY has been the standard for eggplant subs in my household for many years.
jellybear
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1135
RE: eggplant parm subs? 2005/07/29 09:47:10 (permalink)
Yes,You do have to be of Italian desentto fully appreciate a cold eggplant sandwich.And it should be sliced thin!
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13476
RE: eggplant parm subs? 2005/07/29 15:26:06 (permalink)
I experimented with eggplant today for the first time in my life. I sliced it about a half inch thick, let it sit on a paper towel for about ten minutes until it seemed it sweated most of its moisture. I salted it pretty good. I coated with with flour, salt and pepper and fried it until it was very brown. I put it on crusty fresh French bread, added provalone cheese and a little Marinara sauce.

I was impressed with the taste.

The eggplant is a very attractive vegetable. I forgot to peel it first but the outer ring came off very easily.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
dctourist
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 325
RE: eggplant parm subs? 2005/07/29 16:49:40 (permalink)
Well, for parm, you really don't need to peel it... just makes it a little easier to eat.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18267
RE: eggplant parm subs? 2005/07/29 17:17:27 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

I experimented with eggplant today for the first time in my life. I sliced it about a half inch thick, let it sit on a paper towel for about ten minutes until it seemed it sweated most of its moisture. I salted it pretty good. I coated with with flour, salt and pepper and fried it until it was very brown. I put it on crusty fresh French bread, added provalone cheese and a little Marinara sauce.

I was impressed with the taste.

The eggplant is a very attractive vegetable. I forgot to peel it first but the outer ring came off very easily.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Next time, try salting it after slicing and let the salt draw the water and bitterness out. Then wipe it down to get rid of the moisture and the salt. Also, you might want to bake the fried eggplant layered with sauce, and cheese, before cutting it and putting it on the bread. By the way, I always dredge the eggplant in beaten egg before the seasoned flour.
AndreaB
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1303
RE: eggplant parm subs? 2005/08/24 08:35:55 (permalink)
I prefer eggplant parm cold and served on warm crusty bread --- to me the flavor of the eggplant is more intense when it's cold.
I've never much liked it on non-crusty bread because with the soft bread and the eggplant, well it seems too mushy. When I make it, I sautee it in olive oil and garlic salt then let it cool and put it in the fridge. When it's cold, I have in on the warm crusty bread topped with thinly sliced tomatoes and lightly sauteed onions, fresh basil, pepper, and parm cheese. Yah!

Andrea
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5546
RE: eggplant parm subs? 2005/08/24 09:45:45 (permalink)
I usually purposely make too much egg plant parm for dinner so I have leftover for lunch. I agree Andrea that it tastes better cold on a warm and definately crusty bread, but I think the overnight cooling action is even better than making the eggplant specifically for lunch...but then, that's the only way I've had it, so I'm sure it tastes good making the eggplant just for the sangwich.

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1