favorite hot sauce

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
hermitt4d
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 367
RE: favorite hot sauce 2004/08/21 08:52:28 (permalink)
I guess I'm a real slacker when it comes to hot sauces but I'm just not as interested in hot and spicy foods as I used to be. I could probably go thru the rest of my life with nothing more than original Tabasco, freshly ground black pepper, cayenne and crushed red pepper flakes.

I do have a few other sauces on hand for occasional use, including a Habanero. The only jalapeno flavored sauce I've found I like is La Costena, but there are many I haven't tried.

I like a dash of the habanero on burritos, occasionally; also Bufalo's Chipotle hot sauce. I bought a small bottle of the Sriracha to experiment with because I kept encountering it everywhere, even at my favorite oyster bar, but I haven't really found anything I prefer it on yet.

Other than the basic hot sauces mentioned above I mostly use the others to perk up dishes I may have made a large quantity of and get bored with before I finish them all off, such as a big pot of chili, crawfish etoufee, redfish or catfish courtbouillon, or gazpacho.
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5466
RE: favorite hot sauce 2004/08/22 03:11:59 (permalink)

You may be disappointed, depending on what you eat it with. Cholula is Mexican and it somehow tastes best on Mexican food. I don't like it as well as the standard Louisiana brands (Tabasco, Crystal etc) on non-Mexican food, but on Mexican it's tops.

Sorry man, but I gotta disagree. Cholula is good on just about everything. The only exception I can really think of is I prefer Tabasco on raw oysters.

MikeS.
fcbaldwin
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 388
RE: favorite hot sauce 2004/08/22 11:05:17 (permalink)
Bought a bottle of Cholula (at Food Lion, the only grocery store near me in rural central VA.) because of this thread. My first taste was this morning, sprinkling a dash or two on a slice of ripe home grown tomato (I think it was a Beefsteak). Put this on a "Mary B's" (frozen dough, like the Pillsbury) biscuit along with a sausage patty. Tasty! I liked the flavor; and it's not too hot.

Frank
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13523
RE: favorite hot sauce 2004/08/22 12:20:09 (permalink)
Hot suace has been a thread for several years on this forum. I do not know how many you have to go back but the Sundancer's favorite has always been "Cholula"

I personally like to perk up food but I do not need something so hot that it overpowers everthing. A hot suace in my opinion is a spice and I use it to enhance flavor for whatever I am using. I do not want anything to be the dominate flavor.

For the Sundancer, Tabasco was the first ever hot sauce and was the best until I later discovered that there was others. Cholula hit the spot because it delivered the taste of hotness with the lack of total aftertaste of extreme hotness.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
BT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: favorite hot sauce 2004/08/22 14:14:54 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by zussers

Hi, its me again! I went to the store today and bought cholula's. My husband and I tried it on burritos(o-kay, they were frozen but they were organic)and we both thought it was great! I haven't tried it on any non-mexican food yet B.T., but it makes sense that it would taste best on food from "south of the border". Thanks, and have a great night!

Actually, this may be the perfect use for it. Apologies to Tex-Mex officianados, but when I'm too tired to cook I sometimes indulge in all sorts of frozen or canned "Mexican" goodies (Hormel canned beef tamales, frozen burritos, canned refried beans, you name it) and Cholula is the perfect thing to make any of this stuff edible (or if you actually like some of it as I do, even tastier).

Oh, and a PS to MikeSh: I'm not knocking it--I really like it, but it does have the perfect flavor for Mexi-chow which, to my taste, isn't as perfect with some other things. Given all the hot sauces on the market, no one brand goes with everything just as no fine wine goes with everything and it's now possible to try to match your sauce with your food if you are as big a hot sauce fan as most of us seem to be.
Sasaku
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 63
RE: favorite hot sauce 2004/08/22 14:40:38 (permalink)
I enjoy Franks, just like tabasco but a little more vinagary I think.
Boxcar Bill
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: favorite hot sauce 2004/09/17 14:37:55 (permalink)
El Yucateco's Kutbil Ik habanero sauce (natural brown color, not the red or green stuff) is available at my local Wal Mart now. Good chance most of the country's Wallys now have it. It will separate the kids from the adults. Like it hot? Give it a try. It has an exotic Mexican flavor too. Can't beat it for under $2/bottle.
BTW: I think Cholula is an absolute bore, overpriced too.
Boxcar Bill
Boxcar Bill
Junior Burger
RE: favorite hot sauce 2004/09/17 14:45:28 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

quote:
Originally posted by bottom-dragger

if you don't want to taste the food, why order it?
sauce should be a condiment/compliment.

Bottom-Dragger,
You hit the nail right on the head - both times! Mr. Farley, a very wise barbecuer in Ashland City, Tennessee, once remarked to me, "Now you can make your sauce hot if you like it that way, but if it masks the taste of the meat, it's too hot. It had ought to make that good meat taste even better."
The umpteen-Scovill-units thing is kind of like trying to see HOW hoppy an India Pale Ale can be brewed. After it gets up past 140-150 International Bitterness Units, my mouth starts going to sleep. Overkill City!
Gimme a hot sauce with some REAL LIVE FLAVOR to it, and a nice, really bitter - but BALANCED - India Pale Ale. The two together are indeed a winning combination in my book.
Not Currying Favor, Ort. Carlton in Rainy Athens, Georgia.

Oh yeah!!?? IPA and good hot sauce! Two of my favorites too. I'm billk on ratebeer.com
Boxcar Bill
Junior Burger
RE: favorite hot sauce 2004/09/18 16:56:31 (permalink)
A friend of mine who lives in S.E. PA said he couldn't get the Kutbil ik sauce in the local Wal Mart there but it wasn't a super W.M. (not a super market plus the dept. store).
JAWA01
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: favorite hot sauce 2004/09/25 18:53:26 (permalink)
Everyone needs to drop what they are doing and get themselves a bottle of a South American hot sauce called 2Hot Rocoto Sauce!
I have tried all the Cholulas, Tapatios, Cristals, Tabascos etc etc but this stuff COMPLETELY BLOWS EVERYONE OUT OF THE WATER !!!
Its made with unique ROCOTO peppers from the Andes Mountains of Peru.
Its has 99% PULP !!!! Yes 99% ! Nobody come near that quality !!!
Its VINEGAR FREE, so it smells fresh all the time !!!
Its ALL NATURAL !! And it has a good kick but has a bunch of great fresh taste so you can taste the food ! Also the burn comes in a nice warm feeling in the entire mouth versus a stinging burn like other do.
Simply THE BEST I HAVE EVER HAD ! www.2Hotsauce.com Enjoy !!!
JAWA01
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: favorite hot sauce 2004/09/25 19:07:02 (permalink)
Dear Sir, just wanted to pass on info that in mu humble opinion is THE BEST I HAVE EVER SEEN !!!
Its called 2Hot Rocoto Sauce!
I have tried all the Cholulas, Tapatios, Cristals, Tabascos etc etc but this stuff COMPLETELY BLOWS EVERYONE OUT OF THE WATER !!!
Its made with unique ROCOTO peppers from the Andes Mountains of Peru.
Its has 99% PULP !!!! Yes 99% ! Nobody come near that quality !!!
Its VINEGAR FREE, so it smells fresh all the time !!!
Its ALL NATURAL !! And it has a good kick but has a bunch of great fresh taste so you can taste the food ! Also the burn comes in a nice warm feeling in the entire mouth versus a stinging burn like other do.
Simply THE BEST I HAVE EVER HAD ! www.2Hotsauce.com Enjoy !!!

quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

Choulusa Rocks.

Extreme ain't the best and the best is what the taste indicates.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4078
RE: favorite hot sauce 2004/09/25 19:07:59 (permalink)
Mr. Moderator, where are you.......
hell grease
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: favorite hot sauce 2004/10/18 20:10:49 (permalink)
I only like hot sauce in my tequila.
UncleVic
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6025
RE: favorite hot sauce 2004/10/18 20:35:34 (permalink)
I love my hot peppers! Scoop out the seeds, enjoy the fresh heat, but then regreting it the next morning in a painfull fashion... I might be a simple person here, but for sauce I love my Franks Red Hot... Ya, it has a strong vinegar base, but yet I find it very satisfying! I always keep a bottle of it with me! I have some Habenero based sauces at home, they have the heat, but not the blend / body I want in my cooking...
chezkatie
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1329
RE: favorite hot sauce 2004/10/18 20:41:40 (permalink)
Personally, I am not a fan of hot sauces. It annoys me when I really work hard on a great meal that is supposed to have distinct flavors and then have someone sprinkle hot sauce over the whole thing. Why even bother to present a great meal when someone screws it up by saucing it to death
UncleVic
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6025
RE: favorite hot sauce 2004/10/18 20:46:39 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by chezkatie

Personally, I am not a fan of hot sauces. It annoys me when I really work hard on a great meal that is supposed to have distinct flavors and then have someone sprinkle hot sauce over the whole thing. Why even bother to present a great meal when someone screws it up by saucing it to death

I'm not a rep / sales or anything to do with Franks, But make your next omelet the way you normally do, and sprinkle some Franks Red Hot on it and tell me it didnt taste better! I agree with saucing something to death is just a waste of good cooking, but I like my hot sauce as a garnish to the flavor!
imsofull
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 61
RE: favorite hot sauce 2005/08/20 11:58:51 (permalink)
Here is my newest use of hot sauce:

I put it on Caesar Salad!. It really adds an interesting contrast between the dressing and the sauce. I get some strange looks from the waiter or waitress when I ask for the bottle of Tabasco or whatever hot sauce they have. Give it a try!!
Jimeats
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3175
RE: favorite hot sauce 2005/08/21 12:22:26 (permalink)
Had one of my favorite beakfasts this mornimg fried hot dog slices in butter scrambled eggs cooked right in the hot dog mixture topped with scommoza cheese, breadded and fried tomato slices, baked beans and cream of tarta biscuts, topped egg with a couple of sprinkles of tobasco sauce can only eat like this when the other half is gone she has gone away to visit relitives in Maine that means the toilet seat is in the up position for a few days it's a beautifull thing. Get a chance to lay on the butter and sour cream with out the nagging. That reminds me tommrow potato pan cakes w/sour cream. Chow Jim
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13523
RE: favorite hot sauce 2005/08/21 13:23:23 (permalink)
I do not like a hot sauce for the burn, I like it for the taste and slight tinge. Cholula is my favorite as it adds what I want.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
V960
  • Total Posts : 2429
RE: favorite hot sauce 2005/08/24 07:47:07 (permalink)
Tabasco (I carry a bottle w/ me in my car and MRE mini btls in my briefcase), Crystal (mostly on pizza), Texas pete(hot dogs and bbq) and Choula (Mexican food) and piri piri (grilled chicken).
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5566
RE: favorite hot sauce 2005/08/25 16:29:53 (permalink)
Frank's Original Hot Sauce is a staple in my house.
I put is on potatoes, rice, it's my chicken wing base sauce, sandwiches, cajun dishes, mexican dishes, in BBQ sauce.
It's an all around favorite!

But, (and there's always a but) Since Wegman's Grocery Stores have made it down to the mid-atlantic region,(Fairfax and Ashburn, VA) I have been regularly picking up two Dinosaur BBQ hot sauces that are also great on above said foods and great for many other items:

1)DINOSAUR® "Bar-B-Que" A.H.U. Garlic Chipotle Pepper Sauce
and 2)DINOSAUR'S Devil's Duel Fiendishly HOT Habañero Pepper Sauce
(Don't let the name fool you, it's not THAT hot)

My wife can't take the heat of the Habañero Sauce so I can only use it for my plate, but the Chipotle sauce has been successful for mexican dishes and over rice.

I've actually used the Habañero sauce once when cooking a fra divola sauce.
It was good!

mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
RE: favorite hot sauce 2005/09/08 00:28:16 (permalink)
Tabasco. On almost everything. I don't think it goes well with most Mexican dishes though.
ocdreamr
  • Total Posts : 1110
RE: favorite hot sauce 2005/09/08 01:51:32 (permalink)
I have a question, only slightly off topic. Has anyone heard how the McIlhenny Co.(sp) made out?? Are they still there??
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3160
RE: favorite hot sauce 2005/09/08 06:41:13 (permalink)
I heard a few days ago they reported all OK, business as usual.
SWOhioGuy
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 58
RE: favorite hot sauce 2005/09/08 09:52:09 (permalink)
Gotta go with Frank's. Frank's is so good that it actually made Little Caesar's pizza edible. That's high praise.
Sandy Eggo
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 226
RE: favorite hot sauce 2005/09/08 12:34:10 (permalink)
Choulula is what I like. I use it on eggs, gyros, pizza, soups, pork rinds, etc. If you really use it you can buy the restaurant sized half-gallon for only $20. There must be a lot of "pepper heads" to support the hundreds of specialty hot sauces that are available. I visited this web site and had several laughs at the names alone; http://hotsauce.com/shophotsauces2.aspx?CategoryID=2

Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5566
RE: favorite hot sauce 2005/09/08 20:07:48 (permalink)
My personal favorite name is "Kick Yo Ass Hot Sauce"
...and...it'll kick your ass.

Still like the Dino sauces though.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15304
RE: favorite hot sauce 2005/09/08 21:01:52 (permalink)

There are enough varieties and heat levels to answer almost anyone's demands for a Hot Sauce that will meet their needs. For years i was a Scoville Chaser looking for hotter and hotter sauces. Then came the nasty surgery and some serious gall problems. One of the items that really cause me some serious discomfort now is to indulge the 'Hot' flavors past a really mild level.

So I am not here to cry one over the other... BUT If you want to make some good choices you need an inventory to sample to see how they really compare. Friends...Here are a couple of photos of the Hot Sauce and Rub and condiment and BBQ Sauce etc department at Jungle Jims in Cincinnati. I urge those of you who like to peruse the labels looking for the perfect combination of ingredients...and for some fun reading too, to stop in to JJ's next time you are in the Cincinnati area.

They do have a pretty nice selection at eye-level!!
Sandy Eggo
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 226
RE: favorite hot sauce 2005/09/08 21:43:40 (permalink)
Wow! Now I have seen everything. I thought the "Wall of Fire" at one of our local specialty shops had a lot of hot sauces. That's amazing.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15304
RE: favorite hot sauce 2005/09/08 22:30:27 (permalink)

I am sure there are some specialty stores that may have a larger inventory, but JJ's sure is the biggest collection I have ever wandered thru. All of the racks in the two fotos are Hot sauces and other 'hot' items.

There are aisles devoted to European countries...Asian, African Latin,..and all the various sub-cultures that make up this planet!! There is a full row (2 sides of the aisle)of Olive Oils, in all their various "flavors". The produce section has a whole special area for International Veggies, spices and fruits. It is a real fun place to visit.
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1