The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

favorite summer desserts

shen

• Total Posts: 150
favorite summer desserts Wed, 05/26/04 10:34 AM (permalink)
My all time favorite summer time dessert is a dairy queen vanilla cone with a chocolate dip. Then homemade blueberry pie, still warm eaten with my family on the screened in porch watching the fireflies.
Also there is nothing better than a fruit salad thats cold and has plenty of watermelon, blueberries, cantelope, necatarines and a squeeze of lemon juice,

emsmom

• Total Posts: 955
    RE: favorite summer desserts Wed, 05/26/04 10:53 AM (permalink)
    I have several:

Any kind of homemade ice cream.
    Warm cobbler (any kind of fresh fruit) with vanilla ice cream
    A variety of fresh fruits with whipped cream

Rex Allen

• Total Posts: 157
      RE: favorite summer desserts Wed, 05/26/04 11:55 AM (permalink)
      Apple Pie with a scoop of home made ice cream. The very best. Rex in expensive, costly, San Diego.

meowzart

• Total Posts: 773
        RE: favorite summer desserts Wed, 05/26/04 1:25 PM (permalink)
        Pie!!!! Made with whatever happens to be in season: first strawberry, then blueberry, then black raspberry custard, then peach, then apple......I could go on and on.

LizzieR

• Total Posts: 92
          RE: favorite summer desserts Wed, 05/26/04 9:42 PM (permalink)
          summer pudding made from fresh cooked berries and bread weighted down and left for several hours. Remove and serve with whipped cream.

MissKitty

• Total Posts: 292
            RE: favorite summer desserts Sat, 05/29/04 6:56 AM (permalink)
            I have to agree with regards to the fresh fruit. Just having an abundance of soft fruits plus decent imported melons etc is dessert enough for me ! Here's a very simple Brit dessert, is pretty rich because of the cream, so I dont eat it more than about once a year :) but I daresay it can be adapted using some lower fat substitutes ( but for heavens sake NOT that aerosol cream in a can !!! ) also adjust quantities according to taste and what you have to hand ( not sure how to adapt to US cup measurements ! )

Eton Mess
            You need about 1lb hulled really ripe strawberries. 75-100g of Meringues - however they come, nests or twirls or whatever you can buy, or you can even make them yourself if you are so inclined ! and about 12 fl oz of double ( ? heavy ) or whipping cream. You can also add a couple of dashes of your favourite flavoursome sweet liqueur such as Kirsch or Grand Marnier should you wish.

Take about 3/4 of the strawberries, reserving the rest whole, and lightly crush/mash with a fork, adding a splash of liqueur at this stage if desired. Lightly whip the cream until at the soft peak stage ( ie not til its butter ! :/ ) Crumble up the meringues in rough chunks. Stir the strawberries into the whipped cream so the whole is marbled pink and white and fold in the meringue pieces. Serve in your nicest glass dishes. Or indeed, glasses. Garnish with the whole strawberries. Some folks also lay a few sprigs of fresh mint on top, and I have never seen anyone use chocolate curls or flakes as garnish but I imagine they would look well and taste even better. Enjoy !

Tristan Indiana

• Total Posts: 328
              RE: favorite summer desserts Sat, 05/29/04 7:04 AM (permalink)
              Real homemade strawberry shortcake (not spongecake!)

shanklemsw

• Total Posts: 169
                RE: favorite summer desserts Mon, 05/31/04 9:56 AM (permalink)
                I just made peach-blueberry cobbler last night with the 1st SC peaches. I'm now having it for breakfast.

autumneyez04

• Total Posts: 51
                  RE: favorite summer desserts Mon, 05/31/04 1:20 PM (permalink)
                  In the summer I love fruit. Watermellon is a fave when it's sweet, cantaloupe (if it isn't sweet, my family slices it up and leaves in the fridge overnight with sugar sprinkled on them ), and of course strawberries dipped in sugar as you are eating them!!!

I came up with my own version of punch bowl cake with pineapple that is delightful any time of the year but soooo refreshing during the scorching summer heat.

1.)Bake a white cake mix with a small box of vanilla pudding sirred in. Let this cool and then cut into chunks.

2.)While the cake is baking mix together the following: One larege box of vanilla pudding made according to the box's directions, one larege tub of coolwhip, and one can crushed pineapple (size depends on how much pineapple you prefer). Chill

3.)After the cake is cooled and cut into cubes, layer the cake chunks and pineapple mixture in a large bowl ending with pineapple mixture on top. You may garnish this with fresh berries of your choice. I like to place berries around the rim and a large sprig of mint in the middle. Chill for 4 hours or overnight. YUMMY!

E.Gail Woods

• Total Posts: 5
                    RE: favorite summer desserts Wed, 06/2/04 5:09 PM (permalink)
                    The classic combo of fresh strawberries,sour cream and brown sugar-absolutely wonderful!!!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                      • No New Messages
                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                      • Read Message
                      • Post New Thread
                      • Reply to message
                      • Post New Poll
                      • Submit Vote
                      • Post reward post
                      • Delete my own posts
                      • Delete my own threads
                      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com