The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

 favorite tunes for your restaurant jukebox

Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 31 to 60 of 77
Author Message
drsmoke02

  • Total Posts: 250
  • Joined: 11/16/2005
  • Location: emmitsburg, MD
RE: favorite tunes for your restaurant jukebox Mon, 03/27/06 2:02 PM (permalink)
I also have 4 Patsy Cline,4 Hank Williams,Robert Mitchum "Thunder Road",Jim Reeves,"He'll Have to Go",Sammy Turner"Lavender Blue",4 Roy Orbison,The Crests,Lee Andrews and the Hearts,The Olympics,The Drifters,Pointer Sisters,Devo,Stones,The Ink Spots,The Contours,"Till Then"The Classics,...just to name a few.
 
#31
    lunasatic

    • Total Posts: 283
    • Joined: 2/10/2003
    • Location: Boyce, LA
    RE: favorite tunes for your restaurant jukebox Mon, 03/27/06 2:39 PM (permalink)
    1. Anything by Waylon, Willie, or any combination thereof.
    2. Anything by Hank Sr and/or Jr.
    3. Anything by Lynerd Skynerd, Marshall Tucker, Pure Prairie League, The Band, and/or The Allman Bros.
    4. (for the youngsters)Anything by Kid Rock, Gretchen Wilson, Tartanic, and/or Wolfstone.
    5. Let's try a little Crosby, Stills, Nash, & Young, some Cream, some Hendrix, and some Janis Joplin!
    I realize I cheated, but sooooo much good music, so little time!
     
    #32
      Sonny Funzio

      • Total Posts: 902
      • Joined: 2/13/2006
      • Location: Detroit, MI
      RE: favorite tunes for your restaurant jukebox Mon, 03/27/06 3:16 PM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by drsmoke02

      quote:
      Originally posted by Sonny Funzio

      quote:
      Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen



      "Sleepwalk" -- Santo and Johnny


      Sleepwalk was a close runner up on my list too. Definitely a must-have choice for any self respecting juke box.
      Gotta have some instrumentals ... Apache and Walk Don't Run too.


      Sonny, I have "Let there be Drums and Teen Beat"Sandy Nelson


      That's some serious drumming.
      Teen Beat definitely reminds me of Apache by The Shadows.

      Speaking of Sandy Nelson, he did a cover of Hawaiian War Chant ... but my favorite version of that song is Spike Jones version.
      Just for posterior's sake, here's a listen to Spike Jones' Hawaiian War Chant ...
      (from barnesandnoble.com ... amazon's clip just has the intro) ...
      http://sg1.allmusic.com/cg/smp.dll?link=tg57cya2siwp5ujkbpxwim6&r=20.asx

      Um ... is having Spike Jones on the jukebox considered a choking hazard?



       
      #33
        mayor al

        • Total Posts: 15066
        • Joined: 8/20/2002
        • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
        • Roadfood Insider
        RE: favorite tunes for your restaurant jukebox Mon, 03/27/06 3:29 PM (permalink)
        One for Lleechef-

        North to Alaska Johnny Horton (I think)

        Add a few Beach Boys for a balanced program

        And some Ray Stevens "Ahab, the Arab" or "The Streak"

        If you want to drop back a few more years How about some Stan Friberg "Yellow Rose of Texas" or "Saint George and the Dragonet"

        I think the Les Paul and Mary Ford fans are coming close to time to turn in their driver's license, so I would be willing to withdraw my recommendations for them....unless your local population demands them.
         
        #34
          drsmoke02

          • Total Posts: 250
          • Joined: 11/16/2005
          • Location: emmitsburg, MD
          RE: favorite tunes for your restaurant jukebox Mon, 03/27/06 3:45 PM (permalink)
          I was thinking perhaps Johnny Ray"s "The Little White Cloud That Cried" might get the Crowd humming,or maybe "The Shrimp Boats Are Coming",might help me "To Tally Me My Bananas"
           
          #35
            Sonny Funzio

            • Total Posts: 902
            • Joined: 2/13/2006
            • Location: Detroit, MI
            RE: favorite tunes for your restaurant jukebox Mon, 03/27/06 6:49 PM (permalink)
            "A Hot Time in the Old Town Tonight" by Metz and Hayden ... ahh, reminds me of my youth.
             
            #36
              Kayleigh

              • Total Posts: 73
              • Joined: 3/24/2006
              • Location: Newport Beach, CA
              RE: favorite tunes for your restaurant jukebox Mon, 03/27/06 7:24 PM (permalink)
              Al, Sonny, and Dr.Smoke.. Let's make the whole juke box instrumental.
              Sleepwalk..Santo and Johnny
              Rumble!....Link Wray
              Apache....Jorgen Ingmann
              Route 66 Theme....Nelson Riddle
              Magnifigent Seven....Al Caiola
              Telstar....Tornados
              Penetration....Pyramids
              Wipe Out......Surfaris
              Misirlou....Dick Dale and the Daletones
              Pipeline....Chantays
              What Now My Love....Herb Alpert/Tijuana Brass
              Memphis....Lonnie Mack
              Wham!......Stevie Ray Vaughn version of L.Mack tune
              Washington Square...The Village Stompers
              The Lonely Surfer.....Jack Nintsche
              Sukiyaki....Kyu Sakamoto
              No Matter What Shape (Your Stomach's In)...T-Bones
              Quiet Village.....Martin Denny
              Out of Limits!....The Marketts
              Walk on the Wild Side...Jimmy Smith
              Stranger on the Shore....Mr.Acker Bilk
              Because They're Young....Duane Eddy
              Wonderland By Night....Bert Kaempfert
              Cast Your Fate to the Wind.....Sounds Orchestral version
              Ghost Riders in the Sky.....The Ramrods
              The Horse...Cliff Noble and Company
              Soulful Strut...Young-Holt Unlimited
              K-Jee....The Nite-Liters
              Canadian Sunset...Hugo Winterhalter
              Hang 'em High...Booker T and the MG's
              For A Few dollars More/The Good,The Bad and th Ugly..Hugo Montenegro
              A Walk in the Black Forest by Horst Jankowski (Senior Night Special)

              And here is my prediction of "Ort.Carlton's List" ...
              Joy....Apollo 100
              Topsy Pt.2..Cozy Cole
              Hot Butter...Popcorn
              Asia Minor...Kokomo
              I Was Kaiser Bill's Batman...Whistling Jack Smith
              Apricot Brandy....Rhinoceros
              Nut Rocker...B.Bumble and the Stingers
              Music to Watch Girls By...The Bob Crewe Generation
              Comin' in the Back Door....Baja Marimba Band
              Blues' Theme....Davie Allan
              Classical Gas...Mason Williams

               
              #37
                mr chips

                • Total Posts: 4715
                • Joined: 2/19/2003
                • Location: portland, OR
                RE: favorite tunes for your restaurant jukebox Tue, 03/28/06 8:23 AM (permalink)
                What about" Green Onions" by Booker T and the MG"s? Or "Theme from A Summer Place" by Percy Faith?
                 
                #38
                  Kayleigh

                  • Total Posts: 73
                  • Joined: 3/24/2006
                  • Location: Newport Beach, CA
                  RE: favorite tunes for your restaurant jukebox Tue, 03/28/06 12:36 PM (permalink)
                  Yeah....and what about "The Lonely Bull"...TJB
                   
                  #39
                    Sonny Funzio

                    • Total Posts: 902
                    • Joined: 2/13/2006
                    • Location: Detroit, MI
                    RE: favorite tunes for your restaurant jukebox Tue, 03/28/06 1:55 PM (permalink)
                    Got that one Kayleigh.
                    I own about 15 TJB albums. I really like that sound.
                    That song I mentioned above, "Mae" is really a great, romantic, sultry number ... candy for the ears.
                    I've been listening to quite a bit of it recently ... All my Herb Alpert stuff is on vinyl and I just finally picked up a replacement belt for my Marantz 2270 which has been out of commission since before Christmas.
                     
                    #40
                      Sonny Funzio

                      • Total Posts: 902
                      • Joined: 2/13/2006
                      • Location: Detroit, MI
                      RE: favorite tunes for your restaurant jukebox Tue, 03/28/06 2:03 PM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by Kayleigh

                      Al, Sonny, and Dr.Smoke.. Let's make the whole juke box instrumental.
                      Sleepwalk..Santo and Johnny
                      Rumble!....Link Wray
                      Apache....Jorgen Ingmann
                      Route 66 Theme....Nelson Riddle
                      Magnifigent Seven....Al Caiola
                      Telstar....Tornados
                      Penetration....Pyramids
                      Wipe Out......Surfaris
                      Misirlou....Dick Dale and the Daletones
                      Pipeline....Chantays
                      What Now My Love....Herb Alpert/Tijuana Brass
                      Memphis....Lonnie Mack
                      Wham!......Stevie Ray Vaughn version of L.Mack tune
                      Washington Square...The Village Stompers
                      The Lonely Surfer.....Jack Nintsche
                      Sukiyaki....Kyu Sakamoto
                      No Matter What Shape (Your Stomach's In)...T-Bones
                      Quiet Village.....Martin Denny
                      Out of Limits!....The Marketts
                      Walk on the Wild Side...Jimmy Smith
                      Stranger on the Shore....Mr.Acker Bilk
                      Because They're Young....Duane Eddy
                      Wonderland By Night....Bert Kaempfert
                      Cast Your Fate to the Wind.....Sounds Orchestral version
                      Ghost Riders in the Sky.....The Ramrods
                      The Horse...Cliff Noble and Company
                      Soulful Strut...Young-Holt Unlimited
                      K-Jee....The Nite-Liters
                      Canadian Sunset...Hugo Winterhalter
                      Hang 'em High...Booker T and the MG's
                      For A Few dollars More/The Good,The Bad and th Ugly..Hugo Montenegro
                      A Walk in the Black Forest by Horst Jankowski (Senior Night Special)

                      And here is my prediction of "Ort.Carlton's List" ...
                      Joy....Apollo 100
                      Topsy Pt.2..Cozy Cole
                      Hot Butter...Popcorn
                      Asia Minor...Kokomo
                      I Was Kaiser Bill's Batman...Whistling Jack Smith
                      Apricot Brandy....Rhinoceros
                      Nut Rocker...B.Bumble and the Stingers
                      Music to Watch Girls By...The Bob Crewe Generation
                      Comin' in the Back Door....Baja Marimba Band
                      Blues' Theme....Davie Allan


                      Lots of good selections Kayleigh :-)

                      "Stranger on the Shore" is also one of my all time favorites ... I liked the song so much I actually went and bought a clarinet with the intention of learning to play just that song.
                       
                      #41
                        PapaJoe8

                        • Total Posts: 5504
                        • Joined: 1/13/2006
                        • Location: Dallas... DFW area
                        RE: favorite tunes for your restaurant jukebox Tue, 03/28/06 2:32 PM (permalink)
                        There really is a song called "Greasy Pork Pete" by a blues guy named Hashbrown. Greasy Pork Pete, he loves to eat, loves to eat that BBQ meat.
                        Joe
                         
                        #42
                          drsmoke02

                          • Total Posts: 250
                          • Joined: 11/16/2005
                          • Location: emmitsburg, MD
                          RE: favorite tunes for your restaurant jukebox Tue, 03/28/06 2:50 PM (permalink)
                          When I was in college,i went to a Dionne Warwick concert,the opening act,was a group of older Black gentlemen,that sang a song titled,"Hooraah,Hoaraah,These Women Are Killing Me",greatest lyrics and beat i've ever heard.People were dancing in the aisles.Give anything to have that on a 45!
                           
                          #43
                            Sonny Funzio

                            • Total Posts: 902
                            • Joined: 2/13/2006
                            • Location: Detroit, MI
                            RE: favorite tunes for your restaurant jukebox Tue, 03/28/06 3:24 PM (permalink)
                            This is kind of OT as far as oldies and country ... plz accept my apologies in advance ...

                            There's an awful lot of music I'd like to see on Juke boxes.
                            I have pretty broad tastes in music ... J.S. Bach, Gregorian, New Age and Hearts of Space stuff, old blues (eg. Blues Before Sunrise on npr), all types of rock, techno, world, classic soul, polka ... everything from Puccini's Nessun d'Orma to Wiseguy's "Start the Commotion" ... Andrea Bocelli to Ravi Shankar to Yeah Yeah Yeahs.

                            One category of music I've been interested in is popular music used in advertising and on TV ... here's a few items to take a listen to that you might recognize from their commercial use on PBS.

                            I'd love to see them on a Juke box ... but it would have to be in an establishment appropriate to that sort of music.
                            Oh well, one can hope ...

                            The Verve: "Bittersweet Symphony" ...
                            http://www.content.loudeye.com/scripts/hurl.exe?clipid=003282901010006900&cid=600111

                            and one of my very favorites ...

                            Coco de mer : "Lakme"
                            (actually a version of the Flower Duet from the Delibes opera Lakme)
                            (I'd be interested to know if anyone remembers this specific song)...
                            http://sg1.allmusic.com/cg/smp.dll?link=xtgi8b5kgcs3mmuda3fa2wy&r=20.asx



                             
                            #44
                              drsmoke02

                              • Total Posts: 250
                              • Joined: 11/16/2005
                              • Location: emmitsburg, MD
                              RE: favorite tunes for your restaurant jukebox Tue, 03/28/06 3:32 PM (permalink)
                              quote:
                              Originally posted by Sonny Funzio

                              This is kind of OT as far as oldies and country ... plz accept my apologies in advance ...

                              There's an awful lot of music I'd like to see on Juke boxes.
                              I have pretty broad tastes in music ... J.S. Bach, Gregorian, New Age and Hearts of Space stuff, old blues (eg. Blues Before Sunrise on npr), all types of rock, techno, world, classic soul, polka ... everything from Puccini's Nessun d'Orma to Wiseguy's "Start the Commotion" ... Andrea Bocelli to Ravi Shankar to Yeah Yeah Yeahs.

                              One catagory of music I've been interested in is popular music used in advertising and on TV ... here's a few items to take a listen to that you might recognise from their commercial use on PBS.

                              I'd love to see them on a Juke box ... but it would have to be in an establishment appropriate to that sort of music.
                              Oh well, one can hope ...

                              The Verve: "Bittersweet Symphony" ...
                              http://www.content.loudeye.com/scripts/hurl.exe?clipid=003282901010006900&cid=600111

                              and one of my very favorites ...

                              Coco de mer : "Lakme"
                              (actually a version of the Flower Duet from the Delibes opera Lakme)
                              (I'd be interested to know if anyone remembers this specific song)...
                              http://sg1.allmusic.com/cg/smp.dll?link=xtgi8b5kgcs3mmuda3fa2wy&r=20.asx






                              Would saying that your taste in music is eclectic, be understating the situation,or do you have Ort on the other line?
                               
                              #45
                                Kayleigh

                                • Total Posts: 73
                                • Joined: 3/24/2006
                                • Location: Newport Beach, CA
                                RE: favorite tunes for your restaurant jukebox Tue, 03/28/06 3:38 PM (permalink)
                                Sonny.. Ort. Would be with you and me on this I'm sure. Also I like the clips above. But Hearts of Space on a jukebox? Out of place to me. By the way I played Mae also.Here is another subject..Songs that you always hated but then loved after being in a commercial. My vote would be Tom Jones "Help Yourself" when Regis Philbin and some hotchick were in a H2 drinking umbrella drinks saying they like offroading and the camera pulls back and they are on cruise ship! That changed everthing for me.
                                 
                                #46
                                  drsmoke02

                                  • Total Posts: 250
                                  • Joined: 11/16/2005
                                  • Location: emmitsburg, MD
                                  RE: favorite tunes for your restaurant jukebox Tue, 03/28/06 3:49 PM (permalink)
                                  I have a recording of a farting contest in some English pub,unfortunatly it's not on 45!
                                   
                                  #47
                                    Sonny Funzio

                                    • Total Posts: 902
                                    • Joined: 2/13/2006
                                    • Location: Detroit, MI
                                    RE: favorite tunes for your restaurant jukebox Tue, 03/28/06 4:06 PM (permalink)
                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by Kayleigh

                                    Sonny.. Ort. Would be with you and me on this I'm sure. Also I like the clips above. But Hearts of Space on a jukebox? Out of place to me. By the way I played Mae also.Here is another subject..Songs that you always hated but then loved after being in a commercial. My vote would be Tom Jones "Help Yourself" when Regis Philbin and some hotchick were in a H2 drinking umbrella drinks saying they like offroading and the camera pulls back and they are on cruise ship! That changed everthing for me.


                                    Hearts of Space was just the name of the radio show. I do not think that "space music" would go over well in nearly any establishment. That list of examples was just noting that I like a broad range of music ... trying to kinda ease in to the two links I posted.
                                     
                                    #48
                                      Kayleigh

                                      • Total Posts: 73
                                      • Joined: 3/24/2006
                                      • Location: Newport Beach, CA
                                      RE: favorite tunes for your restaurant jukebox Tue, 03/28/06 4:13 PM (permalink)
                                      I think will relax and put on
                                      "Music For Airports" by Brian Eno
                                      And Sonny you mentioned New Age.
                                      Windham Hill 1977-1994 RULES!
                                       
                                      #49
                                        prisonchef

                                        • Total Posts: 296
                                        • Joined: 2/13/2006
                                        • Location: st augustine, FL
                                        RE: favorite tunes for your restaurant jukebox Tue, 03/28/06 5:05 PM (permalink)
                                        sonny,
                                        when we lived in atlanta my brother and his wife came down to visit over the 4th of july weekend. we took them to stone mountain where they have a laser light show that makes lee and jackson appear to ride around the mountain while they play "dixie". told my brother he has to standup when dixie is played or them rednecks will get us. long story short he stood up!!! only guy in a crowd of 100k but he stood up!!!!!
                                        by the way he is still trying to figure a payback for that
                                        jack
                                         
                                        #50
                                          Scarlett

                                          • Total Posts: 402
                                          • Joined: 9/20/2003
                                          • Location: Albemarle, NC
                                          RE: favorite tunes for your restaurant jukebox Tue, 03/28/06 5:43 PM (permalink)
                                          A cold beer, a juke box on the table...
                                          Pop A Top
                                          Lovin' Her Was Easier Than Anything I've Ever Done Before
                                          Help Me Make It Through The Night
                                          Silver Tongued Devil
                                          On The Road Again

                                          YEEE HAAA
                                           
                                          #51
                                            pcdiva

                                            • Total Posts: 591
                                            • Joined: 4/28/2005
                                            • Location: Atlanta, GA
                                            RE: favorite tunes for your restaurant jukebox Tue, 03/28/06 7:21 PM (permalink)
                                            Let's see. Gotta have some old Alabama tracks. Johnny Cash any era. No one has mentioned Miss Dolly Parton yet. How about "Coat of Many Colors" or "Jolene" Or some of the great cowboy songs like "Streets of Loredo"?
                                             
                                            #52
                                              damon2

                                              • Total Posts: 47
                                              • Joined: 3/12/2006
                                              • Location: Buellton, CA
                                              RE: favorite tunes for your restaurant jukebox Tue, 03/28/06 10:01 PM (permalink)

                                              Originally posted by Kayleigh

                                              Al, Sonny, and Dr.Smoke.. Let's make the whole juke box instrumental.


                                              If it's going to be all instrumental..for those of us who live near the ocean....a little Gary Hoey

                                              Pipeline

                                              http://www.garyhoey.com/frame_content/discography/monster_surf.html#
                                               
                                              #53
                                                Kayleigh

                                                • Total Posts: 73
                                                • Joined: 3/24/2006
                                                • Location: Newport Beach, CA
                                                RE: favorite tunes for your restaurant jukebox Tue, 03/28/06 10:19 PM (permalink)
                                                Damon.. I can tell that's somebody I want to hear LIVE so I already checked his tour dates and will do that.Since the Chantays,Marketts,and Shadows et al are probably no more.
                                                Now get back to perfecting your website, it's so close.
                                                 
                                                #54
                                                  damon2

                                                  • Total Posts: 47
                                                  • Joined: 3/12/2006
                                                  • Location: Buellton, CA
                                                  RE: favorite tunes for your restaurant jukebox Tue, 03/28/06 10:30 PM (permalink)
                                                  quote:
                                                  Originally posted by Kayleigh

                                                  Damon.. I can tell that's somebody I want to hear LIVE so I already checked his tour dates and will do that.Since the Chantays,Marketts,and Shadows et al are probably no more.
                                                  Now get back to perfecting your website, it's so close.


                                                  Yeah, gotta do the pics yet...anyways...if you're a fan...try this link...hope it works...

                                                  http://www.ktyd.com/cc-common/mlib/1037/12/1037_1133461192.mp3
                                                   
                                                  #55
                                                    Kayleigh

                                                    • Total Posts: 73
                                                    • Joined: 3/24/2006
                                                    • Location: Newport Beach, CA
                                                    RE: favorite tunes for your restaurant jukebox Tue, 03/28/06 10:51 PM (permalink)
                                                    It worked...It went to my itunes. Oh well now I am a fan of Christmas music too! I thought he was independent but then I checked AMG and he's been on major labels. I like him.
                                                     
                                                    #56
                                                      chicagostyledog

                                                      • Total Posts: 3219
                                                      • Joined: 9/10/2003
                                                      • Location: Hot Dog University Chicago, IL
                                                      RE: favorite tunes for your restaurant jukebox Wed, 03/29/06 1:05 AM (permalink)
                                                      How about some Perry Como? If you listen to the entire song, you'll be singing it all day long and probably be craving a hot dog. http://itsadancinghotdogwatchasitrelaxesyourpores.ytmnd.com
                                                       
                                                      #57
                                                        Kayleigh

                                                        • Total Posts: 73
                                                        • Joined: 3/24/2006
                                                        • Location: Newport Beach, CA
                                                        RE: favorite tunes for your restaurant jukebox Wed, 03/29/06 1:12 AM (permalink)
                                                        That's good and Perry also does the best version of
                                                        "Hello Young Lovers"
                                                         
                                                        #58
                                                          damon2

                                                          • Total Posts: 47
                                                          • Joined: 3/12/2006
                                                          • Location: Buellton, CA
                                                          RE: favorite tunes for your restaurant jukebox Fri, 03/31/06 12:27 AM (permalink)
                                                          quote:
                                                          Originally posted by Kayleigh

                                                          It worked...It went to my itunes. Oh well now I am a fan of Christmas music too! I thought he was independent but then I checked AMG and he's been on major labels. I like him.


                                                          good deal, glad it worked..and yeah I know
                                                          lol
                                                          get to work
                                                           
                                                          #59
                                                            Ort. Carlton.

                                                            • Total Posts: 3589
                                                            • Joined: 4/9/2003
                                                            • Location: Athens, GA
                                                            RE: favorite tunes for your restaurant jukebox Sat, 04/1/06 5:25 PM (permalink)
                                                            quote:
                                                            Originally posted by Sonny Funzio


                                                            Oldies:
                                                            There's a Moon Out Tonight - Capris


                                                            Sonny,
                                                            You've got gooooood taste. I've got it on OLD TOWN on both the blue and multi-color labels. What a great record!
                                                            Now you've gotme thinking about obscure doo-wop and '50's goodies.
                                                            Fascinatored, Ort. Carlton in Street-Corner Hot-Dog-Stand-But-Not-Harmony Athens, Georgia.
                                                             
                                                            #60
                                                              Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 31 to 60 of 77

                                                              Jump to:

                                                              Current active users

                                                              There are 0 members and 1 guests.

                                                              Icon Legend and Permission

                                                              • New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

                                                              2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com