festivals

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
angelfood
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 204
RE: festivals 2004/04/30 08:42:49 (permalink)
Another heads up:

This is a bit late, but anyway, this weekend, (Fri., Sat. and Sun.), is the Savannah Waterfront Seafood Festival in Savannah GA.

Also, the number of restaurants at A Taste of Beaufort has increased to 17 or 19. There's also going to be live music all over the place as bands and musicians will be placed in various parts of the venue.
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: festivals 2004/09/08 08:49:55 (permalink)
The "Taste of New Paltz", a fund raising event for the local Chamber of Commerce, will be held this year on sunday, September 12 (11am- 5pm) at the Ulster County Fair Grounds. About 25 local restaurants show off their best dishes, some wineries will be there, crafts, and other exhibits are also featured. This has been a very successful event , drawing larger crowds every year, and is fun for everyone.

Cheers, John
emsmom
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 955
RE: festivals 2004/09/08 08:57:40 (permalink)
This weekend, we are having 2 great festivals in our area. Here in Gastonia, NC, the local Harley-Davidson club is sponsoring a Barbecue-Blues Festival. This has grown over the last couple years and will feature barbecue cookoffs and blues bands, etc.
Also, in Charlottte, NC, the Greek Church on East Blvd. is sponsoring the annual Greek Festival. Admission is only 2.00 and then you can buy and sample all kinds of Greek foods.
Hillbilly
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 992
RE: festivals 2004/09/08 11:29:38 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by emsmom

This weekend, we are having 2 great festivals in our area. Here in Gastonia, NC, the local Harley-Davidson club is sponsoring a Barbecue-Blues Festival. This has grown over the last couple years and will feature barbecue cookoffs and blues bands, etc.
Also, in Charlottte, NC, the Greek Church on East Blvd. is sponsoring the annual Greek Festival. Admission is only 2.00 and then you can buy and sample all kinds of Greek foods.

I used to go the the Greek festival every year when I lived in Charlotte (late 70s and early 80s). At that time, just about all of the restaurants, especially the Italian restaurants, were run by Greeks. The late Steve Kokines of the "Open Kitchen" published a popular nationally circulated Greek newsletter at the time. I sure do miss Steve and George from the OK (along with their greek salads, pizza, lasagna and manicotti). What a funky place! That is probably the best place we have lived in our 42 years together.
Grampy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1559
RE: festivals 2004/09/08 11:44:43 (permalink)
The 18th is this year's garlic festival in Western Mass: http://www.garlicandarts.org/
emsmom
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 955
RE: festivals 2004/09/08 11:56:22 (permalink)
I must make a confession about something stupid that we did. Last year, we were driving through Shelby, NC when we saw a sign at the Cleveland County Fairgrounds that said "Ham Festival " . So we parked, thinking we were going to a food festival that featured ham and other goodies. Much to our surprise, when we got to the gate, we were told that this was a Ham Operator (CB Radio) Festival. Oh Well!
santacruz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 372
RE: festivals 2004/09/08 12:40:29 (permalink)
I used to love the Schaghticoke fair in Rensselaer county New York. In the 50's for 10 cents you could have all the buttermilk you could drink. They also had Race cars and I saw Roy Rogers and Gabbie Hayes there. It was a very agricultural fair at the time. Always plenty of good sweet corn and good home cooked food.

Schaghticoke was named after an Algonquin tribe of eastern woodland native American tribe. It is very close to where the Hudson and Hoosac rivers come together. There is a Knickerbocker mansion still in this little town.

Now days there is a great festival in Gilroy California it is all about GARLIC, tons of exotic and simple Garlic dishes, if you love garlic this is the festival for you. The scent of growing garlic is even in the air.

To seafarer John, my father used to fish in the Hudson up at Lansingburgh and would catch all kinds of good fish. Also at that time you could swim in the Hudson up around Troy. Wouldn't it be great to someday be able to say the Hudson and Mohawk is clean again.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18380
RE: festivals 2004/09/08 13:11:30 (permalink)
I have wonderful news: The Reynoldsburg (Ohio) Tomato Festival begins today at 5 p.m.

As the Birthplace of the Tomato, Reynoldsburg is quite proud of its annual festival, and I, as someone who lives near Reynoldsburg, am very happy for the people of that Columbus suburb. Long may their wonderful festival continue. Of course, I prefer the Millersburg Corn Festival, the Circleville Pumpkin Festival, and the Bucyrus Bratwurst Festival.
6star
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4388
RE: festivals 2004/09/18 00:31:43 (permalink)
From what Reuters says, the 171st Oktoberfest in Munich that starts this weekend is the place to be if you are hungry:

"Prodigious feats of eating will swell waistlines inside the festival's 14 massive tents that seat up to 10,000 people and sway to the strains of the famed oom-pah brass bands.

In addition to clutching armfuls of huge one liter "Mass" glasses brimming with beer, waitresses, wearing traditional dirndl dresses, help drinkers to sustain their thirst with massive pretzels and hot food.

Aside from knocking back enough beer to fill around six Olympic size swimming pools, last year beer fans munched through nearly half a million roast chickens, some 200,000 pairs of sausages, 25 tons of fish and 91 oxen."
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
RE: festivals 2005/03/25 10:14:34 (permalink)
Sad news today. The Hudson River Maritime Museum Shad Festival, Kingston NY, usually held in mid-May has been cancelled for 2005. No explanation has been announced.

If anyone out there has information on shad festivals in other places along the Hudson or Delaware Rivers for this Spring, please post it here - there's a few of us who love those festivals.

Cheers, John
RubyRose
  • Total Posts : 2189
RE: festivals 2005/03/25 11:46:20 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by seafarer john

If anyone out there has information on shad festivals in other places along the Hudson or Delaware Rivers for this Spring, please post it here - there's a few of us who love those festivals.

There's one held every year along the Delaware in Easton PA. The cookout day in 2005 will be Sunday, May 1st. Here's more information on it:
http://mgfx.com/delaware/
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
RE: festivals 2005/03/25 13:28:27 (permalink)
I'm going to be eating crabcakes in Baltimore with some fellow Roadfooders that day.

Cheers, John
dctourist
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 325
RE: festivals 2005/03/25 16:44:26 (permalink)
Lambertville, NJ, has a shad festival:
http://www.lambertville.org/main.php?page=shadfest

The conveners of the festival were interviewed in John McPhee's recent book, The Founding
Fish, which I highly recommend for its wide-ranging, beatifully written discussions of McPhee's own experiences shadfishing, the role of shad in history, shad ecology, etc., and plenty of recipes. I met the Lambertville folks last summer at the Smithsonian Folklife Festival - a pretty decent food destination in itself, by the way - at an exhibit on Chesapeake Bay maritime culture.

I tried shad for the first time a couple of weeks ago and loved it. Bony suckers, though...

Emily
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
RE: festivals 2005/03/25 22:29:17 (permalink)
Emily: All we eat is the roe and the boned filets, effete spoiled eaters that we are... Thanks for the tip on Lambertville, I'll check it out. I've read McPhee's Shad book and all of his other writings- he makes the obscure and scientific readable and pleasurable for us peasants. Also, we have in the past stopped in Lambertville for lunch at the old RR station - a nice spot for a sandwich and a beer.

Cheers, John
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
RE: festivals 2005/03/25 22:44:02 (permalink)
Just learned about two more places to get shad : Nyack, NY, Riverfest, May 14, and, Croton Point Park (east bank of the Hudson below Peekskill someplace), Shadfest May 15.

Cheers, John
pconstanti
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: festivals 2005/04/28 23:31:49 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by seafarer john

Just learned about two more places to get shad : Nyack, NY, Riverfest, May 14, and, Croton Point Park (east bank of the Hudson below Peekskill someplace), Shadfest May 15.

Cheers, John
pconstanti
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: festivals 2005/04/28 23:40:38 (permalink)
Seafarer John
Just got a list of five shad festivals starting on April 30 from the Hudson River Maritime Museum in Kingston, NY. I will survey them to see if they will be serving shad roe. HRMM-owner@googlegroups.com hrvnews@hvc.it.com
Pano
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
RE: festivals 2005/04/29 10:28:25 (permalink)
Pano: There seems to be something wrong with that address- it doesn't work for me, but I can just call the Maritime Museum to get the info.

I had my first roe of the year on Tuesday and it was great - had some leftover, so cooked it up with scrambled eggs for breakfast yesterday morning- also great. I still havn't found it on the menu of any local restaurants - but I'll keep looking.

Cheers, John
twodales
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 205
RE: festivals 2005/06/03 20:17:27 (permalink)
Sorry if I'm duplicating but thought you might like to know about the one day Fish Fry and celebration honoring the fishing heritage of Port Washington WI. It has grown over the years from a local fish fry and (great!)parade to include other activites. It is still fun and Port is a pretty town.
Avoid Smith Bros. as it is no longer an old-fashioned kind of restaurant. Sadly,the family sold long ago and everything has changed. It used to have a maritime feel to it with good fish and a relish tray with smoked fish, chicken liver spread,WI cottage cheese and cheese spread, along with the usual olives and veggies. A brandy old-fashion kinda place. Fewer of these around now-a-days. (Big Sigh...) Try instead the Port Hotel for steaks or ribs or Newport Shores along the lake for something more casual.

http://www.portfishday.com/Parade.html1.html
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
RE: festivals 2006/05/11 19:52:49 (permalink)
I have just received word of a shad festival to be held on the Hudson. Catskill, NY ( about 110 miles from NYC and 30 miles from Albany) will be serving shad filets and roe on May 20th, 2006 - an all day event. This is the only festival I have yet learned about on the Hudson this year.

My fish monger tells me that the shad run has been disappointing and that shad and roe are scarce. The folks at the Hudson River Maritime Museum in Kingston say they will not have a festival this year, because of the poor catch.

Never the less, I have enjoyed both roe and filets this year at home and in New Paltz' own Gadeletto's Seafood restaurant where the chef does a great job on the roe - it was cooked up with ramps, the first time I've ever had those delicious little leeks. I'd suggest calling ahead to make sure it is on the menu.

Cheers, John
iqdiva
  • Total Posts : 1491
RE: festivals 2007/04/06 02:04:44 (permalink)
November 2-11 2007...THE NATIONAL PEANUT FESTIVAL in Dothan,Alabama...THE PEANUT CAPITAL OF THE WORLD !

http://www.nationalpeanutfestival.com/
Williamsburger
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 395
RE: festivals 2007/04/06 11:39:13 (permalink)
First ever. I don't think I'll be there, but I thought I'd let others know.

http://sinclairstations.com/slamminbbq/
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15244
RE: festivals 2008/09/06 19:24:55 (permalink)
Bringing another old thread back to a useful life...

We are looking forward to our annual participation in theLANESVILLE HERITAGE DAYS next weekend here in our small community just west of Louisville. A bit more than the typical Fall Festival, it includes a very large display of ACTIVE Steam Powered Farm Equipment with all sorts of competitions involving not only tractors, but threashing and shucking devices that were working before my grandparents were born! Mule-teams perform demo's of ploughing and lots of livestock (working animals). There's plenty of music, more Food than I can describe, and tons of small town talent having a good time. Admission and parking are free, so it appeals to a broad spectrum of visitors.
Let us know if you will be passing thru the area, this is a short (couple of miles) off I-64, less than 30 minutes from downtown Louisville. Ya'll come on down !!
harriet1954
  • Total Posts : 1154
RE: festivals 2008/09/06 20:18:49 (permalink)
Thanks, Al - I remember this thread from when I first started posting on here.

Tomorrow, if all goes well...http://polishfair.info/

This summer we attended three festivals, and only one was what I'd call really good, and it wasn't local. We went to the Hammonton Blueberry Festival, which was full of expensive stuff (like blueberries were going for $2.00 a pint, and the same local farm was selling them at ShopRite for $1.29 that week...people selling stuff that had nothing to do with anything...$8 hamburgers, things like that. The worst cover band. Second one was that wine festival at Valenzano Winery. Paid $5 for what? A souvenir wine glass. I think I had 13 tastings and I couldn't even get a buzz (I know, I know...it's for the taste...). More overpriced "food". Another awful cover band. Not to be cynical, but we didn't enjoy ourselves except for the in-the-field picking of grapes and letting them fall for cluster-thin reasons. That field tour was educational.

So the third one, which I covered in a Trip Report, was in Havre de Grace, MD. And so nice.

Perhaps the advent of crisp, autumn weather will bring some nicer festivals.
brittneal
  • Total Posts : 1265
RE: festivals 2008/09/06 21:11:04 (permalink)
Ill always remember the Orange Show at Orange co fairgrounds in San Berdoo. The high light were the carnies at the very end of their era! I remember this one attraction-the 300 year old woman-The Flesh is still on the baaahdi. Bob Barker(just a local tv gut then) was hawking TV Magic cards. He was using an old ime breifcase stand. Selling away,wow.
Also, The Volks Fest in Berlin. Kids running every place carrying smoked eels on a stick-I guess the German corn dog!
Memories.
britt
brittneal
RE: festivals 2008/09/06 21:32:38 (permalink)
John, I was interested in the fish and pictures. It was an older blur but said that 1993 was the last year for Kingston. In fact a good part of The Hudson river due to PCB levels being too high. I looked around and could not find any current info about the fest.
I hope Im wrong
britt
BarenakedChef
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 35
RE: festivals 2008/09/07 22:22:58 (permalink)
We have a great little food festival here in Lincolnton, NC called the Apple Festival. They have an apple recipe contest (which I will probably enter), and tons of local foods, my favorite of which is the fried apple pie. I'll have to take some pictures this year to share the experience here. If you are nearby, join us!

http://lincoln.ces.ncsu.edu/content/lincolncountyapplefestival
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6264
RE: festivals 2008/09/07 22:41:08 (permalink)
Next saturday,13th, is the annual seafood festival in Pt. Pleasant, NJ....it's a great day and the streets are full with vendors preparing and selling some of the tastiest seafood you'll ever have from the many seafood restaurants in our area...great fun day!!!
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6264
RE: festivals 2008/09/07 22:43:13 (permalink)
http://www.pointchamber.com/seafood.asp

Here's the link to this years "festival of the sea"!!!
brittneal
RE: festivals 2008/09/08 04:44:25 (permalink)
Al, did you ever do the Orange Show? It was the only real Carney i ever got to see. All the Barkers w/ their Hoockey-Koochie girls and such. It will always be a great memory for me. Plus nobody belieeves my Bob Barker/TV Magic cards tale. It must have been onle of last ones!
britt
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1